Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The City Beneath 5.0 is live!
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4724
IP: Logged
icon The City Beneath 5.0 is live! (+62)  
Yes, it's another official hold update.

Along the same lines as our update to Journey to Rooted Hold, we have updated The City Beneath for the 5.0 engine. The new version is available in the same way: it will automatically install if you download TCB within TSS. If you already have TCB installed, you need to delete it and download again to get the new version. (It is recommended you export your player, download the hold, then re-import your player so as not to lose progress.)

The new version includes:

* Fifty challenges for solving rooms under extra conditions, mostly selected from the Challenges forum but also including a couple of my own invention. All of these have scrolls indicating what the conditions are. (Occasionally it has been necessary to place the scroll behind a green door, or in an adjacent room, to avoid disrupting demos.)
* Twenty-two other challenges, for things like reaching milestones in the plot, exploring the hold, or activating hidden cutscenes (including some I didn't know about until I started editing the hold!) These do not have indicative scrolls. If you need help finding any of these, the challenges list in the Restore screen will indicate which rooms they are in (once you have been to the room; TCB does not have any challenges with no specific room). Or you can ask in chat or H&S, and I and others will be happy to help.
* More checkpoints, particularly to help with the more difficult challenges.
* As with JtRH, all twelve 5.0 room styles are used, with just one level changed to each new style.
* And a handful of miscellaneous improvements.

Huge thanks to Schik and RabidChild for testing the beta version and all the challenges -- and thanks to RabidChild for the new sprites for the Infohut Guy and 186th Guide!

Important! There is a challenge for clearing all 12 puzzle rooms in the Undercity. The scripting that counts how many rooms you have completed will only work correctly if you start the Undercity from the beginning -- please bear this in mind if restoring to an old save.

And yes, there will be a similar update for Gunthro and the Epic Blunder, though Jacob is in charge of that one.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 08-17-2015 02:28 AM]
08-16-2015 at 07:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
abe10
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
icon Re: The City Beneath 5.0 is live! (0)  
Will this be free if we already bought TSS?

08-16-2015 at 09:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
abe10
I have TSS but no other game of yours. Will it be free for me?

08-16-2015 at 09:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
icon Re: The City Beneath 5.0 is live! (+3)  
No, The City Beneath is a commercial product and must be purchased separately. However, now that the update is out, if you buy TCB (or if you already own both TCB and TSS) then you can get the TCB 5.0 update automatically.

08-16-2015 at 10:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
abe10
icon Re: The City Beneath 5.0 is live! (+1)  
Ok. Thank you for the clarification.

08-16-2015 at 10:48 PM
Shendy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 132
Nuntar wrote:
No, The City Beneath is a commercial product and must be purchased separately. However, now that the update is out, if you buy TCB (or if you already own both TCB and TSS) then you can get the TCB 5.0 update automatically.

That is, I assume, only if I have a CaravelNet subscription?
08-18-2015 at 04:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1134
If you don't, just PM Schik.

08-18-2015 at 06:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
elfbutt
Rank Points: 23
I've been looking forward to this. Thank you!
08-18-2015 at 08:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
Already found a bug. In the scene at the fork where the guy opens the door to quest for knowledge, the speaker for the line "stick to your guide" is marked as citizen 3 instead of citizen 1.

08-19-2015 at 06:51 AM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2806
Bug: The So Much For Stealth challenge in KDND: 1E is awarded even if you end up on or in the force arrows.

I restarted the room and beat it the proper way anyway because I'm amazing, but I was still awarded the challenge when clearing the room in an un-exitable state.
08-20-2015 at 11:10 AM
averagemoe
icon Re: The City Beneath 5.0 is live! (+2)  
Another thing, in the ending sequence, when the video starts playing, the copy of the room in the video uses the old verion of the fortress styles dirt floor tiles, causing it to suddenly change when the video starts. Since editing the video is probably not worth the effort, I suggest replacing the dirt with an image floor of the old dirt.

08-24-2015 at 08:24 PM
Nuntar
icon Re: The City Beneath 5.0 is live! (+11)  
There's always one or two little things :)

We have now updated TCB 5.0, so players are recommended to follow the same process as previously to install the new version. This contains the following changes:

* Fixed averagemoe's speech bug in The Fork : Entrance
* Fixed kieran's challenge scripting bug in KDND
* Fixed a backtracking issue in Castle Dugan going all the way back to the original release
* Challenge scroll in Pirate Hideout 1N1E now specifies that serpents must die on different turns. This isn't to make the challenge more challenging -- it gets round a limitation of DRODscript :)
* Challenge scripting in AF 2N made more robust. (There's no direct way to test for gel spawning on a plate, so the script tests for a gel baby appearing there, then asks "Could it have moved there?" I fixed one class of cases in which the script incorrectly thought it could have moved.)

08-31-2015 at 02:51 AM
robin
Rank Points: 844

File: TCB Abyssian Fortress 2N Victory.demo (20.6 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Public Domain
The Challenge: Abyssian Fortress 2N

I conquered this challenge, got the confirmation I did it.
But it seems that it's not getting excepted by the spider.

I did other challenges after this one and they are green allready in my challenge board on the site.

Could it be that the spider is looking at 5.0.2
(I'm still using 5.0.1.6060)

demo is attached

EDIT: link to my other demo, that got caravelnets approval ;-)
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=15187&page=1#398763

[Last edited by robin at 09-11-2015 06:57 PM]
09-02-2015 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: The City Beneath 5.0 is live! (+2)  
Are you sure you were connected to CaravelNet when you completed the challenge? If not, it wouldn't show up on the challenge page. Even doing a manual score upload wouldn't help as it doesn't currently include challenge demos. Try doing the challenge again, making sure you're connected to CaravelNet.
09-04-2015 at 07:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
robin
Rank Points: 844
RabidChild wrote:
Are you sure you were connected to CaravelNet when you completed the challenge? If not, it wouldn't show up on the challenge page. Even doing a manual score upload wouldn't help as it doesn't currently include challenge demos. Try doing the challenge again, making sure you're connected to CaravelNet.

I completed the challenge 7 times or so, in different ways. It still isn't green.
In the mean while, I finished other challenges and they all became green.

So I don't understand what went wrong...

EDIT: I just did my last challenge and it's all ready green on the challenge board.
It would be strange that just 'that' challenge, everytime misses a caravelnet connection

[Last edited by robin at 09-04-2015 09:33 PM]
09-04-2015 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
Oh, I just realized which challenge you're talking about. Nuntar updated the hold earlier this week in part to make a change to the scripting in Abyssian Fortress: 2N. If you haven't updated to the latest version yet, that's probably the issue. You'll have to export your player, delete the hold, download it again, and reimport your player.
09-05-2015 at 01:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
JamesBond007
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 43

File: GatEBPitPlatformOverWater.png (1.1 MB)
Downloaded 62 times.
Nuntar wrote:
And yes, there will be a similar update for Gunthro and the Epic Blunder, though Jacob is in charge of that one.
I found a very minor bug in Gunthro. After taking the raft to Smuggler's Maze, it appears to be purple on the other side. This doesn't happen in other locations (it remains dark blue). After checking it with the mouse, it appears to be Platform (over pit). It looks like there is a pit beneath the raft instead of water. It would be nice to fix this in the 5.0 version of this hold (unless that's intentional). BTW, another raft present on the screen west from here has correct color.

[Last edited by JamesBond007 at 10-10-2015 03:47 PM]
10-10-2015 at 03:40 PM
Nuntar
It's intentional -- so that you can't sail the raft back ;)

10-10-2015 at 04:26 PM
averagemoe
Nuntar wrote:
It's intentional -- so that you can't sail the raft back ;)

You can't sail it back anyway. The boatman sends you to the hub dock as soon as you step on it.

10-17-2015 at 04:15 AM
Vertelemming
Rank Points: 19

File: TCB Upper Lowest 1S1W Victory - Challenge Possibly Broken.demo (15.3 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
I think I've found a challenge bug in Upper Lowest 1S1W. The challenge specifics are, "Don't remain on the edges of the bridge for more than one turn at a time," with the exception for leaving. Okay, fine. I've now done this room eight times in a row, each time thinking I must have messed up, but I've checked my most recent demo step-by-step and at no time am I on the edge of the bridge for more than one turn at a time. (demo attached)

Watching the demo, you see my first steps are two south-west to get me on to the edge of the bridge, then off of it to the space below the depot. Then one south, to the inside edge of the bridge, then on to the inner trapdoor. After that at no point do I leave the trapdoors until I'm ready to leave. When I do that, I move out on to the north-eastern inner-edge checkpoint, east to south of the depot again, north-east to an edge space, north again to the exit square, allowed by the exception, then I leave. Unless I'm really misreading it, I've followed the challenge restrictions, but it doesn't get awarded when I kill the roach or leave the room, so I'm pretty sure this is a bug.
12-21-2015 at 08:58 AM
Nuntar
You were right on the room edge when the bomb went off. Did you try waiting one more move before exiting? I just tried copying your exact move sequence, and this worked for me and awarded the challenge.

12-21-2015 at 09:00 PM
Vertelemming
Rank Points: 19
Ah, yep. Waiting an extra turn after the bomb explodes did it. Hm. I'd still count that as a bug myself, just not the one I thought it was. Still, immediate problem solved.
12-21-2015 at 10:23 PM
Nuntar
It's unavoidable -- explosions are processed after all monsters and scripted characters have taken their turn.

12-21-2015 at 10:50 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3757
Vertelemming wrote:
Ah, yep. Waiting an extra turn after the bomb explodes did it. Hm. I'd still count that as a bug myself, just not the one I thought it was. Still, immediate problem solved.

As Nuntar said it's the direct consequence of how the engine works. To elaborate more on this, there are basically two main ways you can solve event ordering:

1. Calculate events the moment they happen
2. Defer calculating events to the end of the turn

In most cases DROD uses option #2 to avoid many issues with movement order but this unfortunately leads to some other problems. Both of the ways have their ups and downs but the turn-based nature of the game makes it impossible to avoid them altogether.

12-22-2015 at 02:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 255
Yes, very great news! :) The City Beneath has to be my favorite in the series. But here's a thing worth noting:
Click here to view the secret text

(This list might be added to, firstly if there's anything else to note and secondly if I have the time to play this great game.)

[Last edited by The Architest at 12-26-2015 09:17 AM]
12-26-2015 at 09:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
Thank you for reporting this. Nuntar has fixed this.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-26-2015 at 01:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The City Beneath 5.0 is live!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com