Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Journey to Rooted Hold 5.0 is now live!
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4590
IP: Logged
icon Journey to Rooted Hold 5.0 is now live! (+13)  
"Though the road be long, and the path may twist and turn, eventually progress shall be achieved." -- from a traditional Ephelnan folk song

Along the same lines as our update to King Dugan's Dungeon, we have updated Journey to Rooted Hold for the 5.0 engine. The new version is available in the same way: it will automatically install if you download JtRH within TSS. (You need to have already registered your order of KDD/JtRH/TCB/etc. to your Caravel Forum user account.) If you already have JtRH installed, you need to delete it and download again to get the new version. (It is recommended you export your player, download the hold, then re-import your player so as not to lose progress.)

Two weeks ago, a release candidate version was made available to chat regulars for final testing. Some bugs were found -- in particular, three challenges would never activate. These have now been fixed, so anyone who has the RC version should also update to the final version.

Here's a quick run-down of the new features:

* Eighty challenges, mostly selected from the Challenges forum but also including a couple of new ones, now have official recognition.
* Lots more checkpoints! Including some in Level 25!
* All twelve room styles available in 5.0 are used, though not exactly twice each as we did with KDD.
* Aesthetic improvements (floor types, light / darkness effects)

Huge thanks to all of the following. We had some hiccups at the final stage, and without the help of these excellent people, this release might never have happened....

Schik for helping get this running
RabidChild for testing all the challenges
Moo for looking through failing demos to work out exactly what was going wrong
Crimson Moon for playtesting the release candidate

-- and big thanks to everyone in chat who helped with bug-finding and fixing, including Doom, hyperme, NoahT and skell.

And yes, I'm going to take a break and catch up with other projects, but there will be a similar update for The City Beneath.

[Last edited by mrimer at 12-18-2015 04:48 AM]
01-30-2015 at 02:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold 5.0 is now live! (+3)  
How to get JtRH 5.0 if you already have the old hold installed?

Prerequisites:
1. CaravelNet account
2. DROD: The Second Sky installed
3. You've registered your JtRH order from Caravel Games to your Caravel Forum user account

Steps:
1. (optional) In order to not lose your progress, export your player profile (Main Menu -> Change Player -> Export). If you don't care for saved demos you can do Export saves only. Do not delete your player profile, it is not required.
2. Delete JtRH from the hold list
3. Download the hold from the hold list (CaravelNet is required)
4. JtRH 5.0 should be now downloaded
5. (optional) Import your exported player profile or saves (Main Menu -> Change Player -> Import) to get back all your progress from before deletion of the hold.

I know Nuntar added the instructions in his post, but I thought that maybe a more elaborate and specific step-by-step guide might be appreciated by some :).

Great work Nuntar, you are the best!

[Last edited by mrimer at 12-18-2015 04:49 AM]
01-30-2015 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
elfbutt
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold 5.0 is now live! (0)  
Thank you! :)
01-30-2015 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold 5.0 is now live! (+1)  
This is outstanding! Thanks so much for doing this!

A quick note:
skell wrote:
1. (optional) In order to not lose your progress, export your player profile (Main Menu -> Change Player -> Export). If you don't care for saved demos you can do Export saves only. Do not delete your player profile, it is not required.

5. (optional) Import your exported player profile or saves (Main Menu -> Change Player -> Import) to get back all your progress from before deletion of the hold.
I did the two optional steps above and it took a good half hour to import my player profile back. Specifically, verifying demos and saves for every hold I've ever done took quite a while. It may have been my computer being slow, but just a word of warning for those who have not done this yet that it can be a time consuming process.

02-01-2015 at 06:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
adS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 214
When I export my player, drod crashes.

No entry in drod.log.

What does "Export Saves Only" do?

adS

02-16-2015 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Sounds like another instance of this bug: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=38449

If you can upload a copy of your .dat files to somewhere and send the link to skell and email bugs@, that would be helpful.

That also gives you a backup, which will be important if your profile is as broken as mine and DROD crashes when you import your saves file.

Export Saves Only keeps your room entrances and checkpoints, but not demos. It also excludes your internal player ID, so when you import the file it can merge with any player profile (but if you import it into a different copy of DROD where you haven't already imported a full player profile, you won't have ownership of any holds you've created.)

[Last edited by Tuttle at 02-16-2015 09:41 PM]
02-16-2015 at 09:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
adS
But I can export all demos in the hold and later re-import them, right?

02-16-2015 at 09:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Sure, in theory. I hadn't thought of that. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. Backup your .dats first just in case.
02-17-2015 at 09:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
robin
Rank Points: 842
When my drod crashes when I export my player file,
I close drod, restart it and first export the file.
Sometimes I need to do this 3 or 4 times, but it always works (eventually)

02-17-2015 at 11:15 AM
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
Possible issue with this hold, I'll post it here for now in case I'm missing something obvious...

I've previously post-mastered JtRH (possibly in TCB rather than GatEB) and brought my progress across to TSS via my profile.

I deleted the hold and re-downloaded it to get the 5.0 version without doing the profile import/export so lost all progress - not too bothered about this as it meant I could play through the entire hold again (I did the same for KDD 5.0).

Anyway, I've finished the hold but I'm only showing 97% - I've checked on the restore screen and I have found and cleared all the secret rooms (I double-checked against GatEB so I know I haven't missed any).

Any ideas? I can provide more information and/or files if necessary.

Progress - Gavin G
04-01-2015 at 11:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
adam.cooke
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Great !:thumbsup

[Last edited by adam.cooke at 04-03-2015 11:19 AM]
04-03-2015 at 11:19 AM
adS
I still can't export my player - Drod crashes every time.

By the way, i think this issue must be fixed before the next release :)

Anyway, here is what I have done:

* Backup my Drod folder

* Export my player with Export Saves only

* Export all demos for the whole hold (nor really necessary- see below)

* Delete Journey to rooted hold

* Import JtRH 5

* Import saved player file (this takes ages)

Now I can restore every room.
Of course, I may also download my latest demos from caravel net.

What puzzles me is that the hold appears with 76% instead of 100%...

adS

EDIT: Two secret rooms in Level 22 now appear as nor yet conquered - very strange.

[Last edited by adS at 04-06-2015 12:18 PM]
04-06-2015 at 10:52 AM
martz
martz wrote:
Possible issue with this hold, I'll post it here for now in case I'm missing something obvious...

I've previously post-mastered JtRH (possibly in TCB rather than GatEB) and brought my progress across to TSS via my profile.

I deleted the hold and re-downloaded it to get the 5.0 version without doing the profile import/export so lost all progress - not too bothered about this as it meant I could play through the entire hold again (I did the same for KDD 5.0).

Anyway, I've finished the hold but I'm only showing 97% - I've checked on the restore screen and I have found and cleared all the secret rooms (I double-checked against GatEB so I know I haven't missed any).

Any ideas? I can provide more information and/or files if necessary.
Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue or any ideas here? Since the master wall isn't dropped I can't get into the Dreamplane and therefore can't complete the final challenge...

Progress - Gavin G
07-10-2015 at 12:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
adS

File: drodscreen0.jpg (140.3 KB)
Downloaded 1055 times.
License: Public Domain
Have you gone through all the levels on the Restore Game screen and checked the number of Secrets Conquered?

best wishes,

adS

[Last edited by adS at 07-10-2015 02:26 PM]
07-10-2015 at 02:25 PM
martz
Yes I've checked that, everything is accounted for and all levels show 100% and all secrets cleared, I also did a comparison with JtRH in my GatEB installation and I couldn't see any differences :?

Progress - Gavin G
07-11-2015 at 07:32 AM
Nuntar
I've seen that sometimes when transferring data in 5.0, the game only notices what you've conquered on your current save. If you used Restore for secret hunting, you can make it notice each secret by restoring to a save when that secret was completed.

07-11-2015 at 02:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Well I've found the problem...it was Level 16: 1N.

Apparently I hadn't visited it on my playthrough but the restore screen still showed the level as 100% and 2/2 secrets?

I don't think we need to worry too much about this, and if anyone else has a similar problem this might help them out anyway.

Progress - Gavin G
07-20-2015 at 11:30 AM
robin
Rank Points: 842
I don't know if this has allready been reported,
But in level 11 1N1E (secret room) has another roomstyle then the rest of the level.

I don't know if this intentionally.

11-20-2015 at 11:18 AM
Nuntar
Intentional, because Deep Spaces is more appropriate for the Pit Thing. Same in Seventh Level.

11-20-2015 at 02:28 PM
averagemoe
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold 5.0 is now live! (-3)  
Nuntar wrote:
Intentional, because Deep Spaces is more appropriate for the Pit Thing. Same in Seventh Level.

So explain why he becomes "lava thing" in level 18 1n.

11-21-2015 at 02:01 AM
Nuntar
(16, not 18.) Look again at the dialogue in that room and you might see why I felt it was appropriate.

(Of course, the Pit Thing doesn't appear only in Deep Spaces -- he appears in Fortress in both TCB (original) and TSS. I felt that while Deep Spaces, Fortress and Caldera are all appropriate for him, JtRH 11's Forest is not. I consulted mrimer about this before making this decision.)

11-21-2015 at 03:02 AM
JamesBond007
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 43
Is Foundation room style for JTRH Level 1 1N 4W also intentional? Although it is used on the whole level, the same room in KDD (Level 10 1E) has Desert room style. Both holds are 5.0 versions.
11-21-2015 at 03:55 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
JamesBond007 wrote:
Is Foundation room style for JTRH Level 1 1N 4W also intentional? Although it is used on the whole level, the same room in KDD (Level 10 1E) has Desert room style. Both holds are 5.0 versions.
Oof...I would have expected these identical rooms in KDD:L10 and JtRH:L1 to be in the same style.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-21-2015 at 08:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Journey to Rooted Hold 5.0 is now live!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com