Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The City Beneath : Abyssian Fortress : 2 North
Page 2 of 3
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
IP: Logged
icon Re: The City Beneath : Abyssian Fortress : 2 North (0)  
robin wrote:
So to be clear, I've got the message in DROD, that I've completed the challenge, but caravelnet isn't accepting it.
So where aren't the gel-babies supposed to be?

They aren't supposed to be adjacent to the plate. The thing is, there's a one-tile yellow door diagonally adjacent to the plate so it's nearly impossible to avoid, I only did it by standing there myself.

This only applies to the previous version of the hold, where you wouldn't get credit for the challenge at all if that happened. Maybe the spider is still checking that version for some reason?
09-11-2015 at 06:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
robin
Rank Points: 842

File: TCB Abyssian Fortress 2N Challenge completed finally.demo (20.9 KB)
Downloaded 55 times.
License: Public Domain
I've got it now, I don't what went different, but I'm attaching my demo, so the def team can check it out, and make changes to the script or scroll or something like that

09-11-2015 at 06:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384

File: no_achievement.png (692.7 KB)
Downloaded 703 times.
The challenge appears to be completed in this room, but it won't show up as finished on the Challenges Completed page. Tried on two different days (9/27 and 9/28), and was connected to CNet both days.

Click here to view the secret text

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 09-29-2015 05:50 AM]
09-29-2015 at 05:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
robin
Rank Points: 842
Don't break the wall on the right side off the room. Or check my demo and try to see what went different.
I think Schik needs to update the spider for this.

09-29-2015 at 08:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Camwoodstock
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 115
I was able to clear out the entire mud section by just destroying the wall at (36, 13), but now I'm stuck. What do I do?

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
03-05-2017 at 06:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
Grow another gel baby, and lead it through the mud area to the pressure plate that lets you get at the gel.

03-05-2017 at 12:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Camwoodstock
Nuntar wrote:
Grow another gel baby, and lead it through the mud area to the pressure plate that lets you get at the gel.

Aaand that raises more questions... How do I do that? I can't figure out a way that either won't trap me, or won't let me even cut the Gel in a meaningful way.

03-07-2017 at 02:20 AM
Nuntar
The broken walls in the SW corner of the gel blob are vital for actually cutting the gel.

03-07-2017 at 02:46 PM
Camwoodstock
Nuntar wrote:
The broken walls in the SW corner of the gel blob are vital for actually cutting the gel.

I mean, I got that... But if I break one, I can never cut in a way that even lets me in, much less BOTH.

03-07-2017 at 03:32 PM
Nuntar
Well, there's one more thing you've got to do. After getting a baby to the pressure plate so the doors are open, and breaking both crumbly walls, stand on the door above the crumbly wall on turn 30 so gel doesn't grow on that tile, and then you have a nice inner corner to start cutting.

03-07-2017 at 06:32 PM
Camwoodstock
Err... That just makes me raise MORE questions.

I can't even GET the gel doors open with a tarstuff baby.

03-08-2017 at 01:20 AM
Camwoodstock
Still need help...

03-10-2017 at 03:08 PM
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
icon Re: The City Beneath : Abyssian Fortress : 2 North (+2)  
Camwoodstock wrote:
Still need help...

I think the reason you are not getting any help is that people aren't quite clear on what you are asking for. We don't usually like to write down complete guides to how to solve rooms, but would rather help with specific part of your solution. We can only do that if you explain briefly what you've already done and where exactly you are stuck.

That said, here's a way to get into the gel area. Stand next to a door. Have something step on the pressure plate that opens this door. Step on the door before it closes. Cut the gel and proceed inside.

That won't help you if don't know how to set up the gel for cutting or have something step on the pressure plate, or what to do after killing the gel mother. Which is why it is in your interest to ask clearer questions.

I'm trying to help you here. I've seen you ask questions before and thought about answering them, but then decided not to because I wasn't sure what you were looking for. If everyone does that, you won't get any help. So, please, put in a little effort and make it easier for us to help you :)
03-10-2017 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Camwoodstock
Okay, I cleared it ALL out except for the last little gel blob that's responsible for holding down the tar plate. How do I clear out with the gel blob done for, and that I can still leave the room?

03-10-2017 at 10:13 PM
uncopy2002
Rank Points: 431
Yup, this is the lynchpin part of this room.

03-10-2017 at 10:29 PM
Camwoodstock
uncopy2002 wrote:
Yup, this is the lynchpin part of this room.

Uhh... And HOW do I do that? It's too deep in for it to just come on over, there's gel blocking it on the side it's closer to, and, well, if I get it closer to the exit, that also entails it going OFF the plate, and that's the exact opposite of my intentions here.

03-10-2017 at 11:40 PM
uncopy2002
Rank Points: 431
Yes, and unfortunately, after you realize this bit out, depending on how you cut the gel in the middle you might have to restart it over. Just make sure you saved a quick demo first (press F4) so you can recover what you did to the gel/tar mother.
03-10-2017 at 11:56 PM
Camwoodstock
uncopy2002 wrote:
Yes, and unfortunately, after you realize this bit out, depending on how you cut the gel in the middle you might have to restart it over. Just make sure you saved a quick demo first (press F4) so you can recover what you did to the gel/tar mother.

Wait... In the MIDDLE? I went about it in the fashion of going mud -> tar -> gel. And from what I can gather, it would be nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get gel in the middle; there's too many tar babies being spawned.

[Last edited by Camwoodstock at 03-11-2017 12:13 AM]
03-11-2017 at 12:09 AM
Pekka
Rank Points: 302
Camwoodstock wrote:
uncopy2002 wrote:

Wait... In the MIDDLE? I went about it in the fashion of going mud -> tar -> gel. And from what I can gather, it would be nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get gel in the middle; there's too many tar babies being spawned.

Gel is the only tarstuff that you can get to grow out of its starting area, because it's the only area that has breakable walls next to a door. Tar and mud don't have the space to expand, and can only spawn babies when the doors are open.

In case there is confusion about which stuff is which, you can right click with the mouse to find out the contents of any square.
03-11-2017 at 03:03 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Camwoodstock
Pekka wrote:
Camwoodstock wrote:
uncopy2002 wrote:

Gel is the only tarstuff that you can get to grow out of its starting area, because it's the only area that has breakable walls next to a door. Tar and mud don't have the space to expand, and can only spawn babies when the doors are open.

In case there is confusion about which stuff is which, you can right click with the mouse to find out the contents of any square.

Which is... Exactly my point. To even get INTO the Tar, I need to open its door with the gel baby. But to even get to the GEL, I would also need to get to the MUD plate. So, simple, just grow out the gel, right? Well, no. Tar babies will clog up the space too quickly, mud plate blocked, unclearable. So I just figure put an end to the Tar quickly.

03-11-2017 at 10:37 PM
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: The City Beneath : Abyssian Fortress : 2 North (+1)  
I assume you're going for the challenge here.

03-11-2017 at 11:24 PM
Camwoodstock
icon Re: The City Beneath : Abyssian Fortress : 2 North (-1)  
Dragon Fogel wrote:
I assume you're going for the challenge here.

I... You lost me now.

Can someone post a demo via YouTube? Watching a video with no rewind (i.e. the demo system on regular DROD) is NOT gonna be fun for a room with potentially taking 1k moves to solve...

03-12-2017 at 02:56 AM
Dragon Fogel
Let me reword that a bit and maybe it will be clearer.

03-12-2017 at 03:21 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
A. You can step back and forth through the demo in DROD. Arrow keys after hitting the watch button.

B. Beggars can't, or at least shouldn't, be choosers. There's a demo in the thread, and you've practically already asked people to recapitulate the entire thing in text. Do you seriously need to be spoonfed? I get the sense that if someone posts a YouTube video, you'll just ask them to come over and push the buttons for you. This is why you annoy people.

That said, yeah, this room's infamous.

03-12-2017 at 07:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Agree with Dischorran on the above points.

That said, there's a youtube video of Alex Diener completing this room here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfNthcIuwSo&list=PLBk6-z6v3pDJ0fEhV9tpi8OaDJf09cY8B&index=36
(it's not the challenge though)

03-12-2017 at 10:00 AM
Camwoodstock
Dragon Fogel wrote:
Let me reword that a bit and maybe it will be clearer.

So, wait, those steps are all AFTER I've killed the mud mother, right...?

03-12-2017 at 04:35 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746

Dragon Fogel wrote:
-After killing the mud and gel mothers and any stray babies, trap a gel baby on the plate that opens the tar area. Specifically, on the east square.

03-12-2017 at 05:18 PM
Dragon Fogel
If you're growing out the gel, it should spawn a baby leading to the mud mother's area before it spawns one leading to the tar mother. You can also kill the mud mother without letting the gel grow out, but if you're going for the challenge you don't need to worry about that.
03-12-2017 at 07:25 PM
JSL555
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11

File: TCB Abyssian Fortress 2N Victory.demo (16.7 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
so how to reach the achievement?
i lead a gel baby to the western pressure plate, then kill it and clear the room. but i didn't get the achievement.
07-06-2019 at 04:51 AM
averagemoe
Rank Points: 487
Leading a gel baby to the plate isn't enough, it has to actually be born there.

Also, you won't see the achievement until you step on the green door. Just warning so you don't give up too soon.

07-06-2019 at 05:29 AM
Page 2 of 3
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The City Beneath : Abyssian Fortress : 2 North
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com