Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : TSS Beta Testing (Our News For March)
Page 2 of 7
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
IP: Logged
icon Re: TSS Beta Testing (+1)  
I got attached too - the first time he died was emotionally devastating.

The the second time was quite poignant too.

By the 8th or so time, I started getting used to it.

Nowadays, I realise that DROD has numbed any feelings I once had towards death by pit, bomb, or roach. Even a laptop keyboard layout doesn't make me worried about danger anymore. I've simply overcome the fear of death with Beethro as my path...

But yeah, back on topic, I didn't actively realise Beethro had changed voice actors but guessing "Aaarggghhhh" sounds the same in most accents.

On a more serious note - congrats to everyone who made the cut. I was privileged to hear many samples and as much as voicing is fun, it's tough to get right *applauds*!
03-29-2014 at 12:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
Jatopian wrote:
Trickster doesn't have wings. Trickster is a coyote hot air balloon.
No, I'm a hot air balloon wolf.

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

03-29-2014 at 03:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: TSS Beta Testing (0)  
Oh man, can't wait for TSS. :D It's been a while since I last played DROD, and this seems like a good way to get back into it! I'm thinking of having my dad pre-order it, since I know I'm going to buy it anyway. :P

EDIT: I'm really happy to hear Sten is coming back to voice Beethro. :D Snacko's performance was good, but I loved the original voice. xP

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 03-29-2014 05:58 PM]
03-29-2014 at 05:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Phweengee
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 66
icon Re: TSS Beta Testing (+3)  

Oh wait, you just did.

03-30-2014 at 03:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
Trickster wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
Trickster doesn't have wings. Trickster is a coyote hot air balloon.
No, I'm a hot air balloon wolf.

I've heard it both ways.

I wish that man would stay away
03-30-2014 at 05:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Matt2k
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
icon Re: TSS Beta Testing (+2)  
Ordered! My son and I are greatly anticipating the release. Thanks for making the world's greatest puzzle game.

04-04-2014 at 06:56 PM
EmmettPlant
Rank Points: 28
MHighbrow wrote:
Had to get the game and music bundle as soon as I saw that preorders were open! Emmett Plant's score is incredibly good - will be interesting to hear how it meshes with Sonnenberg's more synthpoppy style in the game.

Aww, thanks! I appreciate the kind words. I'm told the game opens with 'Subterranean Assault,' which is fine by me! It's been extremely humbling hearing from DROD fans, especially from people who loved the original me-singing-over-myself JtRH theme -- Which is why I wrote a reprise as 'Down Once More.'

Also, huge thanks go to the Caravel folks, especially Mike Rimer. He's been extremely patient and super-nice, and has had me writing DROD music for nearly a DECADE. I figure if this keeps up I'll spend the *next* ten years writing for this series, too. :)

M
04-09-2014 at 04:44 AM
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
Forget your login again, Emmett? :P

Welcome back and thanks for a great soundtrack!
04-09-2014 at 05:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
EmmettPlant
RabidChild wrote:
Forget your login again, Emmett? :P

Welcome back and thanks for a great soundtrack!
Yes, I forgot my login from 2003. :)

I'm glad you enjoy the soundtrack -- I loved writing it!

It would be almost impossible to get most producers to accept a soundtrack that contains both a swing track and a freakin' waltz. Getting just one of those in a soundtrack would be a hard sell. Getting both of them in the same soundtrack is insane. One of the great things about working on these games is that the producers actively encourage me to run with scissors.

M
04-09-2014 at 05:37 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
But don't actually run with scissors. Those things are dangerous, man!
04-09-2014 at 12:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
My strategy is to not fall when running. Carrying scissors whilst not falling makes a bold statement too.

Basically only run if you're carrying scissors
04-09-2014 at 01:42 PM
Moo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 224
ErikH2000 wrote: (Back in 2003)
I agree with you. That is why we're writing five songs for each level style. You might on average spend ten minutes in one room, and listen to one song loop 3/4 times. When you move to the next room, you get a different song. If you end up in one room for too long, we might have the song switch before you've left the room, or just go quiet for a bit before beginning again.

-Erik
I don't remember any incarnation of the engine doing anything like that when in a room for a long time... Was it never added?
04-09-2014 at 01:48 PM
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
Moo wrote:
I don't remember any incarnation of the engine doing anything like that when in a room for a long time... Was it never added?

Each style has one track for an empty room, two tracks for agressive rooms (lots of monsters etc.) and two tracks for puzzle rooms.

the feature you're referencing to was implemented some time ago. at the start of the room, the game selects one style of track and then alternates between the selected tracks.

the best way to see this in action is to find an agressive room in City and wait long enough to hear two distinct songs looping over and over again

04-09-2014 at 02:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Moo
Rank Points: 224
Ah... That's not really the same thing.
Two short tracks alternating is still repetitive (less than a single one though), and kind of makes the two individual tracks basically be like a single longer one? In that case, why not have just one double-length track? Without an "ending" and a "beginning" in the middle, that would allow more time for "body".

04-09-2014 at 02:25 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Moo wrote:
Two short tracks alternating is still repetitive (less than a single one though), and kind of makes the two individual tracks basically be like a single longer one? In that case, why not have just one double-length track? Without an "ending" and a "beginning" in the middle, that would allow more time for "body".
Because later you might add third or fourth tune and it will all mix nicely.

04-09-2014 at 02:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
skell wrote:
Moo wrote:
Because later you might add third or fourth tune and it will all mix nicely.

Just mess a bit with the DROD.ini settings and you can easily add extra tracks of your own. :)

04-09-2014 at 02:47 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
EmmettPlant wrote:

I'm glad you enjoy the soundtrack -- I loved writing it!

It would be almost impossible to get most producers to accept a soundtrack that contains both a swing track and a freakin' waltz. Getting just one of those in a soundtrack would be a hard sell. Getting both of them in the same soundtrack is insane. One of the great things about working on these games is that the producers actively encourage me to run with scissors.

M
I'm just waiting patiently for you to release the soundtrack for DROD: RPG so I can throw money your way. :)

04-09-2014 at 02:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
EmmettPlant
gamer_extreme_101 wrote: I'm just waiting patiently for you to release the soundtrack for DROD: RPG so I can throw money your way. :)
That may be possible in the future. Maybe. If you're nice. :)

M
04-09-2014 at 08:55 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Hey, quick question! If I pre-order TSS, does the 1-month CaravelNet membership start immediately after the order, or when TSS is released? Or is it not included in the deal at all?

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

04-12-2014 at 03:48 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Yes, it's included, and it is applied when you register your order to your Caravel user account.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-12-2014 at 03:49 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Wow, quick reply! :P

That's great to know! I'll see what I can to have the game pre-ordered as soon as possible, so that I can once again use the CNet chat. xD

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 04-12-2014 03:57 PM]
04-12-2014 at 03:56 PM
Zaratustra00
Rank Points: 107
I'd advise waiting a bit. I think my CaravelNet month will expire before TSS is actually out.
04-12-2014 at 04:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jag
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
Having CaravelNet without the game is useless imho, how do I make sure the activation doesn't happen before the game is out?
I'm not sure if I've activated anything or not, but I've preordered (thinking the game would be released April 1st) using my forum account.
04-12-2014 at 10:57 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: TSS Beta Testing (+11)  
Since people may have purchased and activated early assuming a 4/1 release, I'll make sure people get a month *after* the release of TSS.

04-12-2014 at 11:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Darkmatt
Rank Points: 51
Well good thing I live in a rock and get news about DROD at a snail's pace.

I have beat misfortune...for today.
04-13-2014 at 02:50 AM
bflatjeff
Rank Points: 93
Soooooo... I've been away from the game for a while, but I'm really looking forward to TSS so my brain can de-atrophy (is that even a thing? I don't know). Yes, folks, DROD makes you smarter! Step right up! There's opportunity is this very community!
I even forgot to check in April 1, but I'm glad I'm not too late to the game!
Too many exclamation marks!

04-22-2014 at 06:56 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Welcome back! Glad you're looking forward to the game.

Beta testing is still proceeding. There is some bug fixing and development of some final code parts, but most of the time is spent on play testing. There's a lot of content in TSS. A few testers have completed the game now, though I don't think anyone has mastered it quite yet.

I asked testers who have played through to provide feedback on the TSS experience, so we can see if we hit what we have been shooting for. Here's some (non-spoilery) feedback from a couple beta testers.

First, a concise summary from one individual:

Clearly my feedback is that DROD TSS is the greatest DROD game of all!

And some more in-depth coverage by another:

Anyway... the TSS experience? That's a wide topic :)

TSS is much easier to get into than any previous DROD game. The early levels are nice and bite-sized so if you get frustrated with any one element, you don't have to deal with it for long. Also, one problem in all the previous DRODs was that one of the trickier elements was introduced too early on (mimics, wubbas, arrow rotators, soldiers). This is avoided. And the beginning levels have well-designed puzzles that give a great sense of what DROD is like.

Overall, TSS is substantially harder than previous games, even before starting on the optional content. But it's also much kinder than the other games: the most difficult levels are always followed by a cooling-off period :) This is much needed, because TSS has a deeper and more intricate story, and it would be exasperating if the puzzles continued to be difficult when the story gets particularly intense.

The puzzles are very well-designed throughout; I don't remember ever getting a sense that I knew what to do but it was tedious to actually do it (except in one or two rooms where, as you know, I missed an obvious much easier solution :P ). There are whole levels where nearly every room is of the linchpin type.

The story is fantastic; Halph, the Pit Thing and A1 are wonderful characters, and go through some excellent development. TSS also has a number of funny and interesting new characters. The dialogue is brilliantly written, and the entrance texts add some lovely flavor.

The new gameplay features are great, particularly the room elements and everything you can do with the new weapons -- they all add something new to the game and have a lot more potential than has been explored even in a hold as large as TSS. (I've started working on a beginners' hold, and I'm seriously considering using no monsters except roaches and queens, and just varying the room elements in each level, and I think there would still be enough variety there for a whole game!)

As for the monsters, I love gentryii to bits :) My only problem was that I find it very difficult to go from learning the movement rules of a new monster to knowing how to manipulate it, which is why I struggled with (...) so much. There's nothing really you can do about that -- except wait for custom holds to come out so players have more opportunity to practise :)

The music is wonderful, and I'm particularly impressed by the way there are always more surprises when you think there couldn't be anything new by now...

The new room styles are gorgeous, and so are the updated graphics for old styles -- the pits, across all styles, are particularly impressive.

In short, I love TSS and I'm really pleased I was able to be part of it :)

We still don't have a release date, but please be patient. We'll be done soon!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-22-2014 05:13 PM]
04-22-2014 at 02:49 PM
Emojk
Rank Points: 94
icon Re: TSS Beta Testing (-1)  
Oh come on now, that is just cruel.
Just publish the buggy version of the game, I don't mind. I promise I won't complain at all.
04-22-2014 at 03:16 PM
Pearls
Rank Points: 767
My Feedback:

So wait, what is a backswipe?

You guys are never gonna see this game. Mrimer is waiting on at least one to master the hold, and no one's pulled this off yet, and probably never will. Larrymurk's puzzles are too mean, and mrimer doesn't have the heart to take them out.

In all seriousness, this game will ruin your life test you. It's big. Really big. It's a tasty amalgamation of some amazing veteren puzzle architects, a couple of whom are new to the DROD team, and have beautifully stepped up to the task. I think everyone would be delighted if the game ever released.

The story is pretty weird, though. :fun

04-22-2014 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
Pearls wrote:
You guys are never gonna see this game. Mrimer is waiting on at least one to master the hold, and no one's pulled this off yet, and probably never will. Larrymurk's puzzles are too mean, and mrimer doesn't have the heart to take them out.
I can't wait for the LP. :D
04-22-2014 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 2 of 7
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : TSS Beta Testing (Our News For March)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com