Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : KDD2.0 Total Room Count
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TisMe
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged
icon KDD2.0 Total Room Count (0)  
Been gone quite some time (one always comes back to DROD).

KDD was my first hold - I actually completed it in 2006 (and have always had rooms missing in the count (I imagine my dial up (at the time) and lots of offline playing to be the culprits).

Early last year, it showed as 271/320 in 'My Stats'. It listed as 253/320 last wknd. I redid most of the 'End Level' (and a few other rooms it showed missing). It now lists as 280/301.

Just curious as to the drops in the left number initially and now the right one.

Tis Me

04-28-2012 at 01:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: KDD2.0 Total Room Count (0)  
That's odd, I thought it was advertised as having 350+ rooms.

04-28-2012 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TisMe
Jatopian,

I bought KDD Sept 2005 (my 1st DROD purchase). If memory serves me, 320 rooms was the total. The version at that time was 2.0.10; now it is 2.0.16. I went to Caravel games (after reading your reply) and the info does state 350+. However, it also states 'new and improved' with add'l rooms.

Does one actually have to purchase the game again to get the extra 30 rooms?

TisMe

04-28-2012 at 02:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5088
If we're talking about the forum's room count, that might only tally the scoreable rooms or something... There are definitely 350+ rooms in there.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-28-2012 03:14 AM]
04-28-2012 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Keiya
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 73
The forum only tallies the scorable rooms, yes. And you probably 'lost' progress because those solutions no longer work on the current version of the hold and engine.

Official Hold Progress:
Click here to view the secret text

04-28-2012 at 08:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
robin
Rank Points: 842
icon Re: KDD2.0 Total Room Count (+2)  
[Getting in to geek mode] :cool

KDD 2.0 has 408 rooms.
22 of the 408 are secret rooms and 320 rooms are scorable,
that gives scorable percentage of 78.43%
With 26 levels gives us an average of 15.69 rooms per level.

[/getting out of geek mode]

04-28-2012 at 11:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
TisMe
This is weird. It appears 18 score rooms have been lost (you or me or both). I think the last time I redid KDD rooms was in 2009.

On 4-23-2011, I listed out the KDD room scores/rank and the missing rooms. Today I counted them - came to 270 (I may have been off one). I then went into 'My Stats' and counted 280 -- 27 were missing rooms I played this week (253 + 27). Thus it seems 18 rms were lost (I say scoreable 'cause my KDD points went from 913 (2011) to 676 (last wknd)). I do not get it. And why 320 to 301 (for yrs it's been 320)?

My apologies - I thought I read a thread that said new lvls had been added. Mike I always thought 320 was the scored count. I used the restore function to check - I show all the levels - 398 displayed rooms - all lvls say 100% explored and 22 secrets conquered.

TisMe
04-29-2012 at 01:18 AM
TisMe
Keiya,

I don't understand. My version is 2.0.16 -- I applied the .14 and .16 patch when they came out. What should it be?

Nonetheless, it doesn't make sense to me that the site would drop rooms processed in years past.

TisMe
04-29-2012 at 01:27 AM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: KDD2.0 Total Room Count (+2)  
Schik has mentioned in recent months that he'd like to get rid of certain trivially scorable rooms. I don't have a complete list of them, but I do recall that one of the scorable rooms was "First Level: Entrance", since we'd had a few people complain about losing their score on that after moving over the Master Wall. That room is no longer scorable.

So I suspect that the lost rooms are similarly trivial Entrance rooms or the like with no puzzles to them at all that Schik has now taken the time to mark as unscorable.

EDIT: As for the version that should be used to score them, the spider now currently uses GatEB 4.0 to verify them. That means that all demos must play correctly using GatEB. Most rooms are unaffected by the differences between JtRH and GatEB, but some playback issues do exist, and some demos you have in your copy of JtRH that play fine there may not play fine with the spider.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 04-29-2012 01:33 AM]
04-29-2012 at 01:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Keiya
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 73
TisMe wrote:
Keiya,

I don't understand. My version is 2.0.16 -- I applied the .14 and .16 patch when they came out. What should it be?

Nonetheless, it doesn't make sense to me that the site would drop rooms processed in years past.

TisMe

The website uses the current version of the DROD engine. Currently, that's DROD 4.0. (I don't know how far behind it lags on patches, but I know it's using at least 4.0 because shallow water works :P). Additionally, with JTRH, it's using a version of the hold file that was updated for DROD 3.x, and a couple functional changes slipped in on a handful of rooms. I don't think KDD2.0 has that problem though.

Official Hold Progress:
Click here to view the secret text

04-29-2012 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TisMe
TFMurphy,

Thx for your quick reply.

I have no problem with those walkthru type Entrance rooms being dropped. If this is why the 320 score rooms is now 301, fine with me (assuming all other KDD players now have 301 as well).

Curious though that the 18 rooms lost me 237 points. I would not think '18 walk thru types would cost me that'. I am no where a good enough player to get those kind of points. I think I will check my 2011 list against what is up there now to see which rooms are gone. Better not be one of those that took me days of tearing my hair out, dying over and over, and a gazillion footcount.

I know not of GatEB, will chk any thread on it. Although KDD is considered conquered, I wanted to refresh myself and redo the missing rooms (and then put the KDD hold behind me). All the KDD rooms I did last week are listed so I assume they were verified. On holds the size of KDD, I stopped using the upload scores feature years ago (probably when I got rid of dial up). I just do rooms online.

Would be nice, though, to be able to upload one room or level when one wanted. Would be most useful for large holds and/or difficult ones.

TisMe

04-29-2012 at 02:35 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : KDD2.0 Total Room Count
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com