Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Mysteries Of The Deep (Easy-To-Hard, with a nice story to cover it with.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.5/10 (36 votes)
σ 1.62
Author Name:Jeff
Submitted By:Jeff_Ray...
Hold Name:Mysteries Of The Deep
Theme:Easy-To-Hard, with a nice story to cover it with.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:19
Number of Rooms:241
Number of Monsters:3256
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.1)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:4 (+5 / -1)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Mysteries Of The Deep_300.hold (170 KB)
Downloaded 2074 times.
License: Other
icon Mysteries Of The Deep  
The hold is finally avaible, after all the pain and evenings I spent for this hold.

For the credits, finish the hold. :)

Have fun!

-Jeff_ray===
11-20-2007 at 12:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
icon Re: Mysteries Of The Deep (0)  
Unless this hold got changed at all before being made for download here, I have finished it all except for being unable to find two secrets - level 6 and level 12. I reckon after 8 days I aren't going to find them by myself. Tips please.
11-21-2007 at 07:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
bandit1200 wrote:
Unless this hold got changed at all before being made for download here, I have finished it all except for being unable to find two secrets - level 6 and level 12. I reckon after 8 days I aren't going to find them by myself. Tips please.

It did get changed.

Click here to view the secret text

11-21-2007 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
Not bad hold. I give it 7 fun with 4.5 brains. Good job, Jeff_ray...!

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
11-21-2007 at 08:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
jbluestein wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:

It did get changed.

Never mind, I found it.

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 11-21-2007 10:00 PM]
11-21-2007 at 09:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
>.<

Can I update the hold with a complete secret wall?

EDIT: Nevermind. I forgot to make that room secret. There was meant to be another secret.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 11-22-2007 11:30 AM]
11-21-2007 at 10:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Mysteries Of The Deep (+1)  
Conquered (though not mastered), with somewhat mixed feelings. There was a lot to like in this hold; there were some truly great rooms, and there was a good story behind it.

There were also some rather mediocre rooms, things I felt like I'd seen before (the secret room on the 13th level, say; or 1st: 3N1W, which is a direct ripoff of an early KDD room). There was also flawed scripting in the form of things that repeated upon reentry, and some singularly bad grammar ("Don't do your dumb!" was a personal favorite). I also personally hated the tutorial nature of the hold; as someone who's already played JtRH and TCB, I began to resent people speaking to me like I was an idiot ("These are seeps").

Still, overall, the good outweighed the bad; this is well worth the time to play.
11-24-2007 at 05:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bingbing
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
Must. Find. Level 6 Secret.

Must. Stop. Being. Overly. Dramatic.

Must. Learn. To. Write. In. Complete. Sentences.

[Last edited by Bingbing at 11-25-2007 12:08 AM]
11-25-2007 at 12:07 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Bingbing:

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

11-25-2007 at 12:14 AM
Bingbing
I see a green wall with no apparent use, and some other elements in the walls.

11-25-2007 at 04:58 AM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Tahnan wrote:
I also personally hated the tutorial nature of the hold; as someone who's already played JtRH and TCB, I began to resent people speaking to me like I was an idiot ("These are seeps").

Still, overall, the good outweighed the bad; this is well worth the time to play.

I just finished level 7, and I have to admit this is getting rather irritating to me as well, but given the relatively moderate difficulty of the puzzles so far, and the fact that many of them actually DO introduce monsters well while still doing something interesting, I don't think this is so bad.

It's not exactly a tutorial hold, but I think it'd be a really good introductory choice for say someone who's seen a friend play DROD a little, but doesn't feel ready to jump into the main canon. Or someone who's just starting to play and wants some useful tips, explanation and advice, but doesn't care for handholding.

11-29-2007 at 06:15 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Plural of "seep" is "seep". It's like "sheep".

12-04-2007 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Danteslives
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 48
I just mastered this hold, and I really liked a few of the latter puzzles. I thought the effort put on the story was really nice, but some of the cut scenes were a bit too long for my taste, and at times I had trouble following the story. Also, there were some problems with the scripting. For example, I beat Level 15:2N and then I exited to the south, right on top of the scripted character in 15 1N which got the game stuck since the character couldn't exit to the north and required a reload. Never the less, I really enjoyed some of the tougher puzzles and this is a nice beginner to intermediate hold. I give it a 6 fun with 5 brains.

[Last edited by Danteslives at 12-21-2007 02:46 AM]
12-21-2007 at 02:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Rank Points: 107
Really enjoying this. I'm only level 6 (IIRC) at the moment, and most puzzles are quite easy, but still fun, and quite original. Of course, I haven't played a large number of holds. But yeah, I like it!
The cutscenes are sometimes a little buggy. On level 5, (or whatever level it is that you get the pass) I went west, back up the stairs by accident, then back down, and got stuck in an endless cutscene. Had to reload the level, but I hadn't completed any puzzles on it yet.
12-24-2007 at 11:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Fine hold Jeff!

This is a fairly big hold that contains solid quality rooms throughout.
01-04-2008 at 02:32 PM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
Really enjoyable hold. The difficulty level was just right. Not hard enough to make me go to Hints & Solutions board and not easy enough to get me bored (Although Fourteenth Level 2W will be forever one of the most boring and tiring rooms I played). I enjoyed it really much!
I almost mastered it. I just can't find the secret room in Seventh Level. I've done many things, like the long forbidden and forgotten technique of hitting every wall square with sword, or trying every square of stairs. Nothing helped. I'd use some help, as it got really tiring now :).
Also, I just noticed I have only explored 95% in Sixth level. How come?

[Last edited by skell at 02-23-2008 01:31 PM]
02-23-2008 at 01:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
A room I forgot to make secret and forgot to link to. >.> If I ever find how to resubmit holds, I will link a new version with the room linked to.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

02-24-2008 at 11:07 PM
Jeff_Ray...

File: Mysteries Of The Deep_300.hold (170 KB)
Downloaded 76 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Mysteries Of The Deep (+3)  
Here's a new version with the last needed room in level 6, as well as a fix for level 15.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

03-01-2008 at 01:19 AM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
Thanks :). The Mystery room in Sixth level was really devilish, if not for your help I wouldn't get it in years.

But there is still this problem, as I can't seem to find the secret room in level Seventh. I'm sure I've hit every wall tile with the sword, yet still there is no sign of it. I spent at least two hours wandering on this level with no luck :). Care to help?

I did it :D. Now playing what is after Mastering...

Really nice. I enjoyed what was behind the master wall really much :). Keep up the good work! ^^

[Last edited by skell at 03-03-2008 05:20 PM]
03-03-2008 at 03:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Having just finished the hold, I must say that some of the later rooms were rather good, but the difficulty was a bit wonky, which made it difficult in itself. (Is that aumtlich supposed to do something, or do I just kill it?) The story wasn't really as well fleshed out as it could have been, a bit like the essay where the conclusion suddenly pops in with some new information, and I was rather shocked by the lack of twists.

I think, considering the power of the DROD 3.0 engine, the cutscenes could have been better done (there were a couple of times when you had to wait after the cutscene ended before the time ran out and you could move again, which was annoying. There was also rooms where the script would repeat itself.

The tutorial scrolls were a little irritating, considering that they could have been done with scripting that could be turned on or off.

Also, Wooo! HIGHSCORE

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-06-2008 01:51 PM]
05-06-2008 at 01:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hahi
Rank Points: 24
Wow, this hold is great! Nice story and I've learned a lot about the "new" elements in TCB. Now I'm at level 11 were I've got a little probs with mirrors but I think I'll handle that.
05-14-2008 at 12:52 AM
fratropea
Rank Points: 87
As this hold, should be so many of it.
Has been really pleasant to play.
Not too much difficulty, with so many levels and very interesting rooms, good architecture and very nice story.
I had already voted, but I wanted to say a thing:
I would like a lot if there is Mysteries Of The Deep 2... ;)

[Last edited by fratropea at 05-14-2008 08:53 PM]
05-14-2008 at 12:06 PM
Jeff_Ray...
There IS a sequel under progress, but it isn't called Mysteries Of The Deep 2. It's in architecture right now, if you want to find it.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 05-14-2008 04:45 PM]
05-14-2008 at 04:45 PM
fratropea
Rank Points: 87
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
There IS a sequel under progress, but it isn't called Mysteries Of The Deep 2. It's in architecture right now, if you want to find it.

You have given me a wonderful news. :D
Thanks!!!
05-14-2008 at 05:42 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Just mastered this.

I have to say, those rooms to the right of the entrance in the Master Level were quite fun to watch.
05-14-2008 at 06:34 PM
spudsfan
Entertaining hold. I do agree that Level 14, 2W was pretty tedious, and while I liked the concept of Level 13, 1E3S, buildable oremites do NOT look good on the screen.

But despite the hints, I can't find the secret on Level 6. Does it have something to do with
Other than that, I don't see anything extra. Thanks!

[Last edited by spudsfan at 06-12-2008 04:25 AM]
06-12-2008 at 04:24 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
spudsfan wrote:
But despite the hints, I can't find the secret on Level 6. Does it have something to do with
Other than that, I don't see anything extra. Thanks!
If that's where you're looking, you're close...

06-12-2008 at 04:45 AM
spudsfan
OK, I'm just dumb. I'd already found the secret room, I just abandoned it to come back to it later. And of course, the 95% thing (which is a different issue) just confused the situation. I need a smilie that slaps himself on the top of his head. I did know that I'd left a secret room behind somewhere, I just forgot which one it was.
06-12-2008 at 05:49 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
spudsfan wrote:
I need a smilie that slaps himself on the top of his head.
Here you go: :selftwak

06-12-2008 at 08:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rman
Rank Points: 371
About the Only You Edit - just one thing: I really don't like holds that are Only You Edit. If it's anything else Edit, I can edit is if I do nothing\conquer\master it. But if I can't edit the hold, then... I just can't. That's what I hate.

Only one thing to say about scripting too: brilliant scrpting!!!

About the story: that War of Architects sounded boring, but however, the story is very interesting. Good job Jeff!

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):

09-01-2008 at 03:35 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Mysteries Of The Deep (Easy-To-Hard, with a nice story to cover it with.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com