Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Ideas?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
IP: Logged
icon Ideas? (0)  
I'd need a few ideas of hard and fun rooms. Can you help?

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-20-2005 at 09:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
icon Re: Ideas? (0)  
Hard and fun ? Well, this constelation is difficult to reach. I cant give you tips, but I recommend you to look at "Bravatos Dungeon" and "Phils Dungeon" or "The steps". This holds contain such rooms.

But never forget : If you make the rooms too hard the number of people which find it fun melts away. (And the quotient Fun/Difficulty sunk to 1,06 in the last 2 months)
10-21-2005 at 12:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
Hard and fun ? Well, this constelation is difficult to reach. I cant give you tips, but I recommend you to look at "Bravatos Dungeon" and "Phils Dungeon" or "The steps". This holds contain such rooms.

But never forget : If you make the rooms too hard the number of people which find it fun melts away. (And the quotient Fun/Difficulty sunk to 1,06 in the last 2 months)
OK... so you caution him against too much difficulty and then recommend Bavato's? Aren't you forgetting which hold is the most difficult?
The others, though, I agree on. I also like Simon's Dungeon, Claythro Tower, Dugan's Dungeon Revisited, and Ben Chisel's Five-Sweet Speeking Grauns (for the story).

10-22-2005 at 07:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
OK... so you caution him against too much difficulty and then recommend Bavato's?

He's saying 'Hard and fun are difficult. Bavato's did it well.

(your opinion on that may vary)
10-23-2005 at 12:25 AM
Sergenth
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 296
A fun room, for me, gives you "hints" on how to solve it, and as you go about solving it, you encounter small challenges that were unexpected, but they aren't too hard to figure out. Plus, you can mess up each sub-challenge, but if you get by it, the rest of the room is still solvable.

The hints I'm talking about are visual hints... conspicuous placements or locations... not written hints on scrolls per se but sometimes those are needed.

Really hard rooms have:

- initial challenges that are difficult to perceive -- the "I don't know what to do" problem. Tar, Mud, Snakes, Wubbas, and inscrutable Gate/Orb placement usually cause these challenges.

- something you need to get right in the beginning, but you only find out about at the end when you've painstakingly gone through the rest of the room. If Beethro was scripted to complain, I wouldn't feel so bad about situations like that :P

- Both of the above, which can take the eagerness to play right out of ya!

- A Time Limit of some sorts.

If you are making a hard room, my advice is to only make it hard in one way for the early levels. If you make a room hard in more than one way, please take away repetitive action like monster swarms and tar cleaning requirements. They just stretch out the time and make the sense of success foggy and uncertain. My type of preferred fun cannot exist in the cloud of utter confusion, though I am sure there are people that appreciate time-limit rooms with obscured solutions and an army of Wubbas in Tar covering trapdoors in the middle of it! :lol
10-23-2005 at 12:59 AM
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
icon Re: Ideas? (+1)  
Seriously, don't stretch it, Jeff_Ray.... Your 'my thoughts buit in DROD' got a positive response, so why don't you continue that? And don't try to create 30-60 level holds. Build only a far as you feel like building, and have fun yourself building them. Krishh's Castle might be short and not too difficult, but it was fun for some people, and I ended it the moment I stopped having fun thinking up rooms. I might make a new hold sometime, but if you push yourself building just because, without having good room ideas at the moment, the hold probably won't be fun both for you to build and for others to play.

Also, asking for room ideas or level requests will probably get few responses, save from people like Erik. A person who thinks up a good room, probably is an architect himself, and if he is, he also probably wants to build it himself too.
10-23-2005 at 09:41 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Until i find back my pic with the crowd room, i can't continue... :|

Means i gotta wait till school, which for us, is tommorow.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-23-2005 at 01:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Ideas?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com