Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Golden Pie Awards. (Our contest for September.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon The Golden Pie Awards. (+1)  
Here is your chance to be a red carpet glamourbaby and bask in public adoration. Can you act? Well, you can act like yourself at least, (and we all know how hard that can be) so that must make you an actor. The only question is where all that talent and drive will take you. Next month, will you be taking home a prestigious Golden Pie? Or will you be masking your bitterness with a botox smile as your rival makes his acceptance speech?

Your first step on the path to stardom is to find a vehicle that will properly showcase your acting ability. In other words, you must choose one of the available films in this topic to which you'll be adding your voice. To make your selection, post a reply to this topic saying "I choose name of film." Rules for choosing:

1. You can't choose a film that somebody else has chosen, until all of the films have been chosen once, and then you can pick any film that has only been chosen once.
2. The same rules would apply in a second round of choosing (if we got that far). A mathy way of expressing it: Let X = the number of times the most-chosen film has been chosen and Y = the number of times the least-chosen film has been chosen. You may not choose any film if it would then cause X - Y > 1.
3. You can't choose more than one film in each round.
4. You can't choose a film you've already chosen for yourself. In other words, only one performance per actor/film is allowed.
5. If two people attempt to choose the same film, (like if you're both posting at the same time) the earlier post gets it.
6. Film authors can participate as actors. The exact same rules apply to them, which may lead to a counter-intuitive situation where someone else claims the film you authored when you wanted to do it. Too bad! :)
7. Be reasonably committed to completing the recording and editing tasks for the film. These will be described next. If you claim a film and don't actually do anything with it, then you may have prevented anyone else from making a cool voiced version of the film.
8. No trading for films. Really, just do the one you picked. Otherwise it may get too complicated for my little brain to track.

Remember that you can have the best performance without having the best film. Somebody said once that Christopher Reeve was the best actor in the world because he made us take him seriously while wearing blue tights. If you get a film that you don't like as well as the others, do your best to bring something to it that people will enjoy, and you might win!

After choosing a film, what do you have to do?

1. Record all the parts in the film. You may have to do several distinct voices for different characters. A funny little challenge, to be sure! You are also allowed to change lines slightly in your recordings to correct for grammar problems or make it sound more natural. How much is too much? I recommend not changing more than a few words in any sentence, and never deviate from the author's original meaning. But the voters will be the ultimate judge--not me.
2. Edit your recording into individual files. If you don't know how to do this, don't worry. There is good, free software available, and we can help you figure out how to use it. If you've never edited audio before, this is a nice opportunity to learn how.
3. Add the clips into the hold with DROD's room editor. Again, if you don't know how to do this yet, don't worry! Hands will be held. Wet noses will be wiped.
4. E-mail the hold file containing your performance to erikh@caravelgames.com (that's me). If you don't get an acknowledgment within 24 hours, assume I didn't get it and make more noises to get my attention. If you send me more than one version of the same performance, I will automatically be posting the later one in a thoughtless robotic way. The deadline for sending me performance holds is...

Local Time:09-27-2005 at 01:00 AM

Then we'll have a poll where the public can rate each film/performance. Voters will be asked to focus on the acting performance and how well they liked it. They will be asked to factor out recording quality and the story itself.

The actor with the highest-rated performance will be our first place winner. He will receive 100 rank points and an item of his choosing from the Prize Pile. 50 and 25 rank points will be awarded to second- and third-place winners, respectively. Anybody who submits a finished performance and hasn't participated in one of our previous contests will be given 10 rank points for trying something new.

Alright, alright, alright! Go pick the film you want before somebody else does!

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 09-06-2005 02:32 AM]
09-05-2005 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: The Golden Pie Awards. (+1)  
Dibs on vylycyn's "Showroom"

09-05-2005 at 10:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
I'll take "The Tale of Nikdub Budkin".

09-05-2005 at 10:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Leus
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 204
I'll do "Beethro's Trial."

09-06-2005 at 05:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
Ill do "Open Mike Nite"

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 09-06-2005 09:28 AM]
09-06-2005 at 09:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
I'll have the Three Ugly Goblins please.

With fries. And onions.

Edit: Do we need to record new demos if the hold shows its film in that way? Or not?

"Oook!"

[Last edited by krammer at 09-06-2005 01:12 PM]
09-06-2005 at 09:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I'll do "Goblin Skool".
09-06-2005 at 12:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Me wanteth! I'll have The Flood please.
09-06-2005 at 03:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: The Golden Pie Awards. (0)  
krammer wrote:
Edit: Do we need to record new demos if the hold shows its film in that way? Or not?
I would think you could use the old one.

-Erik

09-06-2005 at 05:15 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
HopelessAmateur
Rank Points: 177
Gah! another contest that is beyond my technical abilities.
"Alas, poor Hopeless. I knew him, Horatio."

At least I can vote.
09-06-2005 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
HopelessAmateur wrote:
Gah! another contest that is beyond my technical abilities.
"Alas, poor Hopeless. I knew him, Horatio."
Which part do you think is hard? Editing the sound files? If you've got a spare hour to learn how to use Audacity, you'll pick up enough recording and editing skills to do the contest. Well, I shouldn't be pushy, but if you want a little instructional help, I don't mind giving it.

-Erik

09-07-2005 at 12:41 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Perhaps he doesn't have a microphone.

I should probably go through and pick a hold...

09-07-2005 at 09:05 AM
Leus
Currently the only format I'll be able to save my soundclips in is .WAV. Is that okay, or can somebody give me a link to a good conversion program or something?

09-08-2005 at 02:57 AM
vylycyn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 486
I'll record the lines in Banjooie's DROD Film Festival Entry.

09-08-2005 at 03:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
....I'm abstaining, but I apologize profusely for my large amount of characters.

...also, since a ton of people talk at once in mine, mine's PROBABLY gonna be one of the harder ones. Sorry. ^_^:
09-08-2005 at 05:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Leus
Holy ...whoa... So, I totally did it, right? And the size of the completed hold with wave voices is...

TWENTY-SIX MEGABYTES!

First: I can't fit that in an e-mail.

Second: That won't work for downloading from this forum.

Third: I don't think I even needed those first two reasons because that's just obnoxiously large. Can someone get me a link to a WAV-to-OGG converter or something? I'd find it myself, but you don't understand how bad I am at looking things up. Seriously... I didn't even know it was a skill, but apparently one can actually fail at finding something on the internet.

So, yeah. I'm done... All I need is a non-26mb-hold and I'll have that e-mail to Erik.

09-08-2005 at 08:20 AM
Chris
Rank Points: 144
icon Re: The Golden Pie Awards. (+2)  
Is it some kind of an in-joke that everyone ignores Erik's rules?
ErikH2000 wrote:
To make your selection, post a reply to this topic saying "I choose name of film."
Not a single reply replied as requested:
gamer_extreme_101: Dibs on ...

agaricus5: I'll take ...

Leus: I'll do ...

MeckMeck GRE: Ill do ...

krammer: I'll have the ... please.

Doom: I'll do ...

Znirk: Me wanteth! I'll have ...

vylycyn: I'll record the lines in ...
09-08-2005 at 01:16 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Leus wrote:
Third: I don't think I even needed those first two reasons because that's just obnoxiously large. Can someone get me a link to a WAV-to-OGG converter or something? I'd find it myself, but you don't understand how bad I am at looking things up. Seriously... I didn't even know it was a skill, but apparently one can actually fail at finding something on the internet.
Sure, it happens. Your hold will definitely be much smaller with oggs instead of wavs. I think Audacity is the sound editor preferred by nine out of ten forumites.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-08-2005 at 03:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Leus
Thanks. That did the trick, though I bet there's an easier way than just opening fifty-some-odd windows of Audacity--each with a different sound clip--and then just clicking "Export as ogg vorbis" in the file menu repeatedly, closing each window in turn.

In any case, I'm done, and the hold is now a managable 2 megabytes, despite its only being one room. If there's anything I learned on this little endeavor, it's that I cannot do a New York accent. So please forgive Beethro for any British-esque accents he might seem to develop and/or acquire.

09-08-2005 at 06:40 PM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
icon Re: The Golden Pie Awards. (+2)  
For future reference, and for other (Windows-using) participants struggling with the oggification of sound files: try oggdropXPd, available from http://www.rarewares.org/ogg.html. This is a simple to use program that just opens a small window with no obvious menu or switches. You then drag .wav files from your favourite file manager to that window, and the program converts them to .ogg files which it saves in the directory the .wav came from. Quality settings etc. can be fiddled with after right-clicking the window.
09-08-2005 at 08:29 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
If I got this right only MeckMeck GRE's Squeeton Swicks and Znirk's agdi A Grand Day in... are left.
So I choose ..

Wait the proper terminology is:
"I choose agdi A Grand Day in...."

The name is long but the story is shorter then Squeeton Swicks and I just do not think I would have time to do a lot of voice. I tried the voice contest before and it was fun, but being a female it gets harder to do some of the parts. Good luck everyone I am looking forward to seeing everyone stuff. :D

Amazing Contest Discription:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by techant at 10-22-2007 12:15 PM]
09-10-2005 at 12:11 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I choose Squeeton Swicks

Now all films have been chosen once, so it can begin again.

And where is Jacob's movie? I don't see it anywhere in the list thread.

09-10-2005 at 08:30 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I choose "The Flood".

09-11-2005 at 03:48 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Here's something that may become relevant: If there's not enough time alotted for a given line, and our recorded audio takes too long to play but can't be made any shorter, are we allowed to extend the duration of the line in the editor? And the same for if too long has been alotted, can we shorten it?

Basically, do we have authority to change anything about the hold other than adding our audio to it?

09-11-2005 at 04:02 PM
ErikH2000
DiMono wrote:
Here's something that may become relevant: If there's not enough time alotted for a given line, and our recorded audio takes too long to play but can't be made any shorter, are we allowed to extend the duration of the line in the editor? And the same for if too long has been alotted, can we shorten it?
You can change the duration of the line, if needed. Mainly I didn't want people to change the text used in the line (although you may supply a recorded version with differing words for the line) or modify story events. But fixes to delays are fine.

-Erik

09-12-2005 at 12:41 AM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
Ill have another pick ! Ill do Squeeton Swicks ! (Recording Dulldumb will be easiest !)
09-13-2005 at 08:40 PM
Leus
Wait... Multiple films? Did I read something wrong?

09-14-2005 at 07:09 AM
ErikH2000
Leus wrote:
Wait... Multiple films? Did I read something wrong?
Yeah, you can record for more than one film. That's consistent with the rules. We had to wait until all of the films were picked once before anyone is allowed to choose a second film.

-Erik

09-14-2005 at 09:34 AM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
ErikH2000 wrote:
krammer wrote:
I would think you could use the old one.

-Erik
Err - the demo is a show from title screen one and doesn't appear in the main demo listing. Should I try and copy the individual room demos across to make a new one, or...?

"Oook!"
09-16-2005 at 03:57 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
--removed file, as it's no longer necessary--

But if the speech durations are changed, the demo may go out of sync. I think...

I've not been able to begin making my entry yet, but I'll try to do it this weekend.

[Last edited by Doom at 09-16-2005 04:29 PM]
09-16-2005 at 04:08 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Golden Pie Awards. (Our contest for September.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com