Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What If...? (DRODistic Nostalgia)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Re: What If...? (+2)  
zonhin wrote:
necrobump. :?

Please, plese don't post in topis that are beyond page 2 or so. It's called necrobumping, it's annoying, and unless you have somthing really, REALLY REALLY, interesting to say, don't post in them.
Er, first of all, to clarify, I believe you mean beyond page 2 or so on the list of topics in the forum, NOT a thread that is more than 2 pages long. And of course there are exceptions to this "rule" for the Hints and Solutions board where it is preferred to have fewer posts for the same room.

Still, I don't think you need to come down so hard on this, zonhin. After all, if someone does necro a thread, they get complaints about it, but if they post a new thread similar enough to an old one, they get complaints that they didn't do a thorough enough search. It's a lose-lose situation, because--go figure--everyone has different opinions on how the forum should be organized. Which is why there are no official rules on the matter...I doubt any of the other admins really think that we should strictly police this kind of thing.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-25-2007 at 05:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zonhin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 99
icon Re: What If...? (0)  
I dunno, to elaborate: if you have something important, useful, or really funny to say, and if it would only work in that topic, by all means, go ahead and post it, but I'd hardly call that necrobump useful, important or funny.

See? There's a difference.

Her's the post in question, in case you forgot:
jellyfishn wrote:
To tell you the truth, I got addicted by playing the Smash 100 CD forever ago too! However, I can't seem to find the original one that was on the CD online anywhere. I think it has the best and funniest depiction of beethro there is! If anyone has that original copy, let me know!

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye

[Last edited by zonhin at 10-25-2007 10:12 PM]
10-25-2007 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
It just sounds like you're really worked up over it...and it's such a small thing to get worked up over. If I'm totally off-base, I apologize, but I just think we need less mountains escalated into molehills.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 10-26-2007 12:43 AM : Finally figured out the wording I had been striving for.]
10-25-2007 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zonhin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 99
Okay, okay, I can understand that.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
10-25-2007 at 10:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
QueBarbara
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
As a newbie myself, just consider that jellyfishn may have just been looking for a way to connect to the forum. Some of you that have been here for a while might forget what that is like; to find a place that you really like, but aren't sure how to make yourself known. As nice as caravelnet is, it can be a little intimidating.

10-26-2007 at 03:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1133
I think another issue concerning necrobumping is responses to a particular person vs. responses not aimed at anyone in particular. People are probably going to be less tolerant of the former, as it is most likely that either a specific person doesn't remember making a post way back when, or that what they said no longer applies.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NoahT at 10-26-2007 03:51 AM]
10-26-2007 at 03:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
QueBarbara wrote:
As a newbie myself, just consider that jellyfishn may have just been looking for a way to connect to the forum. Some of you that have been here for a while might forget what that is like; to find a place that you really like, but aren't sure how to make yourself known. As nice as caravelnet is, it can be a little intimidating.

A good point, but we've got some useful topics in Anything for just that purpose. I guess, beyond that, you've got to wait for a new topic that hasn't devolved into two people talking at each other, so perhaps maybe from there move onto a forum game?

10-26-2007 at 04:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: What If...? (+1)  
Perhaps this topic should be moved to Anything, and renamed "How I Found DROD." :)

I can see why a new person would want to post in this topic. Everyone in the forum can relate to stories about how new players discovered DROD, and how old players became more involved. These thoughtful stories (especially at the beginning of the thread) explore common interests in the game without revealing too much personal information.

When I joined these forums a year ago, I too got the invitation to make a first post in the "Arnold" thread. I looked at the thread, was offended by its content, and did not post anything for the next 5 months. Then I finally said, "the hell what people think" and started posting hints in H&S.
10-26-2007 at 04:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
When I joined these forums a year ago, I too got the invitation to make a first post in the "Arnold" thread. I looked at the thread, was offended by its content, and did not post anything for the next 5 months.
Really? I never noticed.
10-26-2007 at 05:01 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
I looked at the thread, was offended by its content

Please, elaborate.

10-26-2007 at 07:29 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I must admit I myself felt a twinge of confusion upon being redirected to the Arnold thread when I first registered. I didn't post in it as I happen to dislike Shwartzy, and I remember feeling rather annoyed by the whole thing.
10-26-2007 at 05:03 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Well, I'm actually glad jellyfishn bumped this thread. I've never seen it before, and it was really fun to read through it. I can't see why jellyfishns post could be negative in any way... :?

10-26-2007 at 05:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
Well,i started With JRH found on some game collection.Then i got others,ecxept for TCB,Cause its too huge!
10-27-2007 at 08:25 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
We don't offer the DROD games on any games collection so far, afaik.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-29-2007 at 06:25 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Yeah, we never specifically gave permission for Journey to Rooted Hold to be included in a compilation, but there may have been one or two licensing deals we made that allowed for it. If you have JtRH on a compilation disc, it's likely you bought something from a pirate publisher. (That's a fancy name for what is usually some dude that burns 30 ripped off games onto a CDR and sells it on e-bay.) But that's not necessarily your fault, and I'm not coming down on you.

Would you mind letting me know where you got the compilation, and are there names of any companies on the disc or packaging? Also, is it the Russian language version of DROD? If there is a problem with one of our distribution partners ripping us off, I definitely want to know about it.

-Erik

10-29-2007 at 07:01 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
ErikH2000 wrote:
Yeah, we never specifically gave permission for Journey to Rooted Hold to be included in a compilation, but there may have been one or two licensing deals we made that allowed for it.

One thing I'm wondering about with this. 13th Slayer, was this a collection of full games, or a collection of demos? Before we start assuming there's an illicit distribution, this is worth asking, I think.

10-30-2007 at 01:44 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I do believe that this thread will help significantly.
10-30-2007 at 04:44 AM
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
weel,looks like im lucky
11-14-2007 at 07:39 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
I looked at the thread, was offended by its content, and did not post anything for the next 5 months.
Huh. I think that if this is a common response, the post might merit changing and this necro-bump... was it the phrase "completely naked"?

11-16-2007 at 01:31 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
OK, since so many people want to know... I don't think there's anything wrong with the idea behind the Arnold thread. It asks a simple, somewhat offbeat question for the purpose of starting conversations. It seems like it used to work a lot better at starting conversations than it does now.

I had a problem with one type of conversation it started. Personally, I don't identify with Arnold (the actor) at all, and I doubt many in my demographic group do. So I read the thread to see what happened when other new users said that. Most were ignored, so why bother posting at all? And a couple tried to respond to the question "why?" and were answered with well-meaning posts about gender. Well, on a forum like this, where there is a bit of a problem with folks taking on stereotypical gender roles, gender is the last thing I would like to post about, not the first thing. I came here because of a puzzle game.
11-16-2007 at 03:11 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Ditto... couldn't have put it better myself.
11-16-2007 at 12:40 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Ah yes, I recall having being confused. I recognized the thread for what it was, though, and was amused despite having never seen an Arnold movie. I can see how someone might react less positively, though.

11-16-2007 at 11:16 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What If...? (DRODistic Nostalgia)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com