Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Resigning from block pushing (Sorry, Eric)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
IP: Logged
icon Resigning from block pushing (+5)  
I just saw the Godkiller Gamedev stream about the "Hate our Houses" song. Now, I've tolerated it when Eric used some foul language on the stream before, but knowing that this is actually going in the game is different.

I'm just too much of a prude to have my name associated with anything without a "G" in it's rating. Still, I respect that this is Eric's artistic vision, and don't want to stifle it. So, with regrets, I humbly request my vocals be removed from the All Blocks Hymn.

[Last edited by averagemoe at 11-26-2019 08:24 PM]
11-26-2019 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Resigning from block pushing (0)  
No problem, Moe. I'm disappointed but I understand, and I will do a better job of letting people know what's coming that they might object to. This will be a Rated M kind of game.

-Erik

11-26-2019 at 07:53 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 596
icon Re: Resigning from block pushing (+5)  
averagemoe wrote:
I just saw the Godkiller Gamedev stream about the "Hate our Houses" song. Now, I've tolerated it when Eric used some foul language on the stream before, but knowing that this is actually going in the game is different.

I'm just too much of a prude to have my name associated with anything without a "G" in it's rating. Still, I respect that this is Eric's artistic vision, and don't want to stifle it. So, with regrets, I humbly request my vocals be removed from the All Blocks Hymn.

Okay, this post has pissed me off.

This is the kind of thing usually kept for private conversation. Honestly, I don't understand why you wouldn't just PM(EDIT: or message him elsewhere if he doesn't accept PMs) Erik with your concerns rather than airing it out here for everyone to see. Frankly, it seems to me that you just want to use the opportunity to tell everyone how cool and righteous you are that you don't like swearing. Get off your high horse.

As for your bit re: swearing and you not liking it, since you've posted this on a public forum I'm going to exercise my right to reply. I find your argument pretty weak. For starters, if it's just a matter of reputation you could just, I don't know, go uncredited. If you seriously feel so strongly about it that you don't want to be a part of the game at all then that it is a pretty strong stance you got there. You can say 'I don't want to stifle' Erik's artistic vision as much as you want, but publicly announcing your withdrawal of support due to said artistic vision doesn't seem to line up with this claim. Seriously, you're missing out on a lot of culture and really good experiences if you won't look past the pretty superficial issue of swearing. The biggest problem here for me is that you're choosing to stop supporting Erik, the creator of presumably one of your favourite games in his new endeavour because you don't like swearing. You're unable to look past this. You're putting your dislike of obscenities over your like of DROD.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by navithmastero at 11-27-2019 03:14 PM]
11-27-2019 at 08:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
Steam has been blown.

Let's try to keep the rest of the discussion private and not on the forum.

Hope that works.

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 11-27-2019 03:18 PM]
11-27-2019 at 12:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
For what it's worth, Erik doesn't seem to accept PMs. I guess you could try messaging him on YouTube if you wanted to send him a PM regarding The Godkiller. On this forum it would have to be a public post, unfortunately.

I was going to send him a PM reassuring him that I was still okay with my voice being used for the song, but I guess I might as well post that here. Admittedly I haven't been following the dev streams, and hearing that the game will be rated M is a bit of a shock to me. I'm kind of excited to see what Erik does with a mature title though; it seems like most developers try for as broad (young) an audience as they can, so deliberately committing to a "niche" market is a bold choice. With how many adults play games these days, relying on the child/teen audiences might not be as important as it once was.

Again, to be clear, I personally have no issue with whatever Erik means by "M-rated," and am happy to be a part of the project.

11-27-2019 at 02:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
I'm so okay with Averagemoe's post. No worries.

He's inspired me to make a summary list of all the things that are risky for offending contributors. And I'll just have people look it over before they agree to contribute. And I'll get release forms signed, which I should have done for All-Blocks, and usually do. I'll need to go through this exercise many times, so I should streamline it.

It's interesting to me that a normal rating system like ESRB wouldn't really cover everything, because it doesn't talk about religious ideas.

I turned off PMs because I get annoyed with having extra inboxes to check. I think there's an option to email me through the forum, if I remember right.

-Erik

11-27-2019 at 03:14 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Resigning from block pushing (+1)  
mauvebutterfly wrote:
Admittedly I haven't been following the dev streams, and hearing that the game will be rated M is a bit of a shock to me. I'm kind of excited to see what Erik does with a mature title though;
Thanks, MB.

The aim of this game is to be an uncompromised expression of me. There’s been times in the past where I toned things down to match an audience or the needs of collaborators. Or maybe I worried about feelings of relatives and friends. There’s nothing wrong with that, but The Godkiller project is meant to be unfiltered.

That said, the sensibility of the game is not to go for shock moments, but to keep integrity around ideas that are disturbing. In the “Hate Our Houses” song, the character singing uses strong language because he and others are posturing unconvincingly that they are wild and free. The truth of what the characters lives are is something different that will be more offensive to some than obscene language.

The game may seem a lot like DROD, but it goes into areas we would not do in the DROD story. And that is no knock against our decisions made for DROD, which were appropriate, I believe.

-Erik

11-27-2019 at 04:28 PM
ErikH2000
Bam!

http://seespacelabs.com/the-godkiller-things-that-might-offend-you/

-Erik

11-28-2019 at 02:22 AM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: Resigning from block pushing (+1)  
Eh..nothing I see as too objectionable there. I don't swear myself, but I maintain that everybody else has the right to and are sometimes better for it. And while I am a Christian, I generally draw a sharp distinction between fictional deities that obviously aren't my God, and...the latter.

If you happen to still want to use my old recordings or whatever, consider it fine.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

11-28-2019 at 03:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Resigning from block pushing (Sorry, Eric)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com