Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : (discontinued) The captured fortress
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Scattercatt
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 36
IP: Logged

File: The captured fortress.hold (45 KB)
Downloaded 54 times.
License: Public Domain
icon (discontinued) The captured fortress (+2)  
My friend showed me DROD a while back and i liked it a lot. Im about half way through TSS but got kinda frustrated from the exponentially increasing difficulty. So i decided to make a short and simple hold but with new features that maybe the devs of DROD could consider.

It's still a work in progress but please point out all bugs because i want this to be a good first hold. (might be making more in the future O:-) I'm almost positive there will be bugs on the Vaults level due to the complicated new feature ;)

Also i'm not the best at spelling so please point out punctuation errors and spelling errors as well

One more thing. If you want to use the new features i have made, just PM me asking for permission. I could send the images as well.:thumbsup

Anyways i hope you enjoy it

FIXED PROBLEMS!:
Click here to view the secret text

EDIT: I know it's been a while since i last touched this, but the bonus level is done. Need a tiny bit more testing before i can publish.

EDIT: Not sure why this got bumped since it's a pretty old post. The reason why I never finished this was because i feel like the puzzles weren't very good. If I'm gonna have a hold on my profile, i want it to be a hold with decent rooms. After finishing TSS I made a new hold and i feel that one is better.

[Last edited by Scattercatt at 08-07-2017 12:18 AM]
05-15-2016 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: The captured fortress (my first hold) (0)  
Alright, gave it a go. And here are my thoughts:

Also, for testing, it's generally a good idea to make your hold Anyone Edit so that testers can test rooms if they get stuck (or face an issue that stops them from continuing). You can set the hold to be You and Conquerors once you're ready to submit it to the Hold Admins.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

05-15-2016 at 10:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scattercatt
icon Re: The captured fortress (my first hold) (+1)  
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Alright, gave it a go. And here are my thoughts:

Also, for testing, it's generally a good idea to make your hold Anyone Edit so that testers can test rooms if they get stuck (or face an issue that stops them from continuing). You can set the hold to be You and Conquerors once you're ready to submit it to the Hold Admins.

Fixed the epilogue thing (silly mistake) and also set the hold to everyone. I think i might have fixed the clone issue on the first level by seperating the clone and the briar with an open yellow door that can be shut after clearing the room

Thanks for the feedback

[Last edited by Scattercatt at 05-15-2016 10:38 PM]
05-15-2016 at 10:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I forgot to mention, but some rooms could use some more checkpoints. 1E doesn't have any, and the main puzzle areas of 1N1E and 1S only have one. Maybe one or two more could be ideal... (perhaps close to the plates?)

And 1N's checkpoint on the plate should be moved off of it, since you can't use it if it's obstructed.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 05-15-2016 10:36 PM]
05-15-2016 at 10:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scattercatt
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
I forgot to mention, but some rooms could use some more checkpoints. 1E doesn't have any, and the main puzzle areas of 1N1E and 1S only have one. Maybe one or two more could be ideal... (perhaps close to the plates?)

And 1N's checkpoint on the plate should be moved off of it, since you can't use it if it's obstructed.

Will do. Again, thanks for the feedback :)
05-15-2016 at 10:41 PM
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623

File: demosfirstlevel.zip (4.5 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
Not bad at all for a first hold, I like it. I'll attach my demos for the first level since I'm pretty sure I did something unintended, like clearing 1N1E from the North entrance.

Here's some comments for the first level:

1N: Neat, I liked this one.
1E: Simple and quick, I tried a lot to do it without construct but I don't think it's possible.
1N1E: The intended solution is good, though you need to fix the US
2N1E: Haven't made it yet, definitely harder than 1N1E
1S: Easier than I thought, but still good room
1S1E: Pretty sure I didn't do it the intended way. Also, what's the power token for? Again, if you exit to the North you can't go back, so I had to restore.
2S: Quick and easy

Last thing, though I use unlimited undo a lot, don't be afraid to put more checkpoints in a room, also in empty ones (to help restore).

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 05-16-2016 11:02 AM]
05-16-2016 at 11:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
I can't seem to complete 1E on the second level. Can't kill both the bandit and the roach.
05-16-2016 at 04:44 PM
Red-XIII

File: demos2.zip (2.2 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
Second level:
I have the same problem for 1E. The other rooms are a bit trial and error.

2E: Easy, didn't need the hint
1N2E: Used only 1 bandit for all ww's
1S2E: Once you find out the solution is pretty fun, though it was trial and error ar first
2S2E: Hard room involving movement order, didn't really enjoyed it (did I use the right approach?)

All these rooms require lots of checkpoints!

Demos attached.

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 05-16-2016 05:27 PM]
05-16-2016 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scattercatt
Red-XIII wrote:
Not bad at all for a first hold, I like it. I'll attach my demos for the first level since I'm pretty sure I did something unintended, like clearing 1N1E from the North entrance.

Here's some comments for the first level:

1N: Neat, I liked this one.
1E: Simple and quick, I tried a lot to do it without construct but I don't think it's possible.
1N1E: The intended solution is good, though you need to fix the US
2N1E: Haven't made it yet, definitely harder than 1N1E
1S: Easier than I thought, but still good room
1S1E: Pretty sure I didn't do it the intended way. Also, what's the power token for? Again, if you exit to the North you can't go back, so I had to restore.
2S: Quick and easy

Last thing, though I use unlimited undo a lot, don't be afraid to put more checkpoints in a room, also in empty ones (to help restore).

Thanks a bunch for the response and the demos! I went and watched them and ill try to answer and ask a few questions.

1N1E I watched your replay. How did you start from the north?

1S1E Yea that was unintended, but hey that's ok! i'll probably fix it tho. Also the power token was there because initially i was going to have the player go in the room unarmed. I just forgot to take it out :P

Also the backtracking issues should be fixed in the latest download.

Here are my other responses for the second level feedback you put:

1E I have fixed this problem in the latest download (at least i think) so redownload if you are having trouble
2E I looked at the replay and wow you actually solved this is a weird but cool way. Definitely not how i solved it

Anyways thanks for all the feedback and demos :thumbsup

05-17-2016 at 01:06 AM
Red-XIII
Scattercatt wrote:

1N1E I watched your replay. How did you start from the north?

I probably should have explained better, sorry. Once I manipulated the constructs and entered the North alcove I immediately exited to the North without taking the conquer token and without killing the constructs, so without clearing the room.
While I did use the same solution to do this, now the room has no purpose in highscoring, since you can immediately take the conquer token, that's the main point.

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 05-17-2016 06:35 AM]
05-17-2016 at 06:32 AM
bomber50
1E on the third level has no way to backtrack. Also, for 1S1E on that same level, the Guardian Door just opens, making that room trivial.
05-17-2016 at 03:55 PM
Scattercatt
bomber50 wrote:
1E on the third level has no way to backtrack. Also, for 1S1E on that same level, the Guardian Door just opens, making that room trivial.

Wow that 1E was a pretty bad mistake, completely forgot to make a toggle for the arrows. Whoops! Got that fixed

1S1E can you upload a demo or replay? This doesn't happen for me
EDIT: Nevermind i found it. Gonna try to figure out the problem
ANOTHER EDIT: Fixed it. I forgot to include the door droped var in the global reset script.

Thanks for the feedback!

[Last edited by Scattercatt at 05-18-2016 12:32 AM]
05-18-2016 at 12:17 AM
bomber50
Vaults 1N1W looks impossible. The only way for the roach to be killed is for the guardians to all die, but if that happens, you can't get through the yellow doors.

I did manage to reach the source, but it was an unbelievable amount of trial and error. I'd strongly suggest either making the room easier, or deleting it altogether.

Edit: The change to Security Guards: 1S1E seems to have made the room impossible. You have to put constructs on plates, but then you can't kill them afterward. A pressure plate at (31,27) opening the yellow door could fix this.

[Last edited by bomber50 at 05-18-2016 05:02 AM]
05-18-2016 at 04:53 AM
Scattercatt
bomber50 wrote:
Vaults 1N1W looks impossible. The only way for the roach to be killed is for the guardians to all die, but if that happens, you can't get through the yellow doors.

I did manage to reach the source, but it was an unbelievable amount of trial and error. I'd strongly suggest either making the room easier, or deleting it altogether.

Edit: The change to Security Guards: 1S1E seems to have made the room impossible. You have to put constructs on plates, but then you can't kill them afterward. A pressure plate at (31,27) opening the yellow door could fix this.

1N1W Vaults: I'm not sure what im going to do with this room. I did however fix the problem by moving the door down so that you can hit the source and then kill them whilst having access to the roaches. I will probably delete this room.

1S1E Security guards: Did exactly as you said. Fixed.

Thanks for the feedback
05-18-2016 at 05:38 AM
bomber50

File: The captured fortress.demo (21.9 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
Mastered. Definitely enjoyed, some great rooms and the scripted elements were interesting.

There were a lot of things I noticed that should be changed (spelling, entrance issues, mostly), but on the whole, mostly minor stuff.

More detailed comments secreted. Hold text is italicized, with suggested changes in bold.

Attached a set of demos.
05-19-2016 at 01:11 AM
Scattercatt
bomber50 wrote:
Mastered. Definitely enjoyed, some great rooms and the scripted elements were interesting.

There were a lot of things I noticed that should be changed (spelling, entrance issues, mostly), but on the whole, mostly minor stuff.

More detailed comments secreted. Hold text is italicized, with suggested changes in bold.

Attached a set of demos.

Thanks a lot for all this feedback! I definitely (got it right this time :lol) will fix or change some things from your recommendations. Gonna go watch the demos now.
05-19-2016 at 01:16 AM
Resert On
Rank Points: 37
Is this hold has in the holds boards?

08-07-2017 at 12:00 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : (discontinued) The captured fortress
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com