Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Pass the Hold Around (Rooms made by multiple architects)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

5.3/10 (8 votes)
σ 0.97
Author Name:The DAA
Submitted By:Jeff_Ray...
Hold Name:Pass the Hold Around
Theme:Rooms made by multiple architects
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:5
Number of Rooms:100
Number of Monsters:1204
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:4 (+4 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Pass the Hold Around.hold (4.1 MB)
Downloaded 427 times.
License: Other
icon Pass the Hold Around  
This hold is a result of the work of around 25 architects. The rooms range from easy to really difficult. Can you handle it?

All four of the main levels are accessible from the start, so you can work on all the rooms in the order you wish!

Each architect is credited for their room in the scroll maps at the Entrance of each level.

Enjoy!
-Jeff_Ray
08-04-2015 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2384
icon Re: Pass the Hold Around (+1)  
This is a hold that's difficult to rate due to its extreme variety.

If you have favorite (or least favorite) rooms, feel free to comment. It was a lot of fun putting this together. Thanks Jeff_Ray!

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
08-04-2015 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
A thought: if we do this again, the organizer could create the master layout including the outer walls of every room and the entrances/exits, and define the theme. Then each architect's turn would involve filling in one of the interior spaces.

It would make for a more uniform appearance, and we'd know when each level was "done" :)

08-27-2015 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962

File: Pass the Hold Around.hold (4.1 MB)
Downloaded 51 times.
License: Public Domain
I was told that there were several issues to fix with the hold, as well as a challenge that could never be obtained. This version should fix that issue, along with a few script issues that caused the scripts to end when they should reset when re-entering. I also took out secret walls in Contribution 3N2W.

Hopefully this should be the only update that needs to be made for this hold, but let me know if there are more issues.

The file was made in 5.1, so Schik, it's up to you to make this playable!

-Jeff_Ray===

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

11-01-2015 at 08:23 PM
disoriented
icon Re: Pass the Hold Around (0)  
Update will be downloadable in-game?

11-02-2015 at 02:06 AM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
When it becomes available, it sure will!

11-02-2015 at 09:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
abe10
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
I was told that there were several issues to fix with the hold.
-Jeff_Ray===

It Is AWESOME That this hold has FINALLY Been Published!!! Also, I found one error. The scroll in Collaboration 1S2E says "2. return on the the scroll in 300 turns." I think it is safe to say that some admin should drop one "the".

Found another polishing issue in the same room. There is a single square that seems to be meaninglessly brighter than the entire room. I am referring to 14,17.

[Last edited by abe10 at 11-30-2015 11:33 PM]
11-30-2015 at 12:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
Just noting that the update's gone through. It's now possible to get all the challenges in this hold!
03-12-2016 at 08:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Mastered. Worth playing at least because of blorx and NoahT's rooms. Some of spitemaster's and xitvono's rooms were pretty interesting too. Everything else - not so much.

Also I believe there's a backtracking issue in this hold: if you leave Team Synergy 1S 3E to the south without conquering it and without having 2S 2E conquered, you're stuck.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 04-20-2016 03:09 AM]
04-20-2016 at 01:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
I finally came back to this and finished it after having set it aside for over a year and was quickly reminded of why I stopped playing it in the first place. There are definitely a few interesting rooms scattered throughout this hold, but they're heavily outweighed by annoying, fiddly rooms. There were a lot of rooms with annoying and unnecessary scripting, magic move sequences, and tedious mindless hack&slash.

The shame is that a lot of these rooms had good ideas in them and had the potential to be a lot better. One thing that probably would have saved this (as suggested by hyperme recently on CaravelNet chat) would have been an extensive quality control phase. I imagine if more of the people involved in creating this had played through the whole thing and made critical suggestions for improvement, that most of the worst offenders could have been altered into something a bit more enjoyable. Even some of the rooms I found to be the most annoying had the germ of a good idea behind them, and a little bit of collaborative editing could have polished them into something better.

11-17-2017 at 04:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Pass the Hold Around (Rooms made by multiple architects) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com