Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Advanced Concepts for TSS
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
IP: Logged

File: Advanced Concepts TSS.hold (4.2 KB)
Downloaded 69 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Advanced Concepts for TSS (+1)  
Someone said before they wished that there were a TSS Advanced Concepts, and I personally wish there were too. So let's build one together!

The Rules:

1. One person per element/level.

2. You can teach any element, but they have to be from TSS (not GatEB, TCB, JtRH, or AE).

3. Make sure if you wish to use custom characters from the TSS official hold (not strongly recommended, but appreciated), obtain Caravel's permission first.

4. Like in Pass the Hold Around, there will be one player file. Everybody builds their level with the player file, and exports the hold with their change.

5. Also like in PtHA, do NOT modify others' rooms.

6. When all the elements are taught (custom NPCs from the main hold optional, but not critical), I will start a different thread for the finished project, like Jeff did for PtHA.

Main hub already created. The rooms marked non-required you can delete if you like, depending on if you want to do custom NPCs or not.

If yes, the non-required rooms will be entrances to the custom NPC levels. If no, then I will get rid of the rooms in the end.

Anybody who contributes a level will be added to the credits scroll, and after you post your modified version of the hold with your new level, I will add the title on the sign next to the room instead of the generic "<Selection name here>".

Alright, now let's get started!

[Last edited by azb at 03-08-2015 01:04 AM]
03-08-2015 at 01:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb

File: AAA.player (2.2 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
icon Re: Advanced Concepts for TSS (0)  
Okay, here's the player file for hold editing.

03-08-2015 at 01:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Also, to be specific, here are the custom NPCs I'm thinking of: (do NOT click if you haven't played all of TSS yet, because of spoilers!)

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by azb at 03-08-2015 04:13 PM]
03-08-2015 at 04:11 PM
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Advanced Concepts for TSS (+2)  
I definitely think it's about time for another Advanced Concepts hold. With all the trickery introduced by the new TSS and Guntrho elements. I think this would do a good job complementing the Entry Point hold that a bunch of folks are working on at the moment too. Entry Point can serve as an introduction to newer DROD players while Advanced Concepts could teach some of the more complex interactions.

The beauty of the Advanced Concepts holds is that they are tutorials without being boring. I like the way they narrow in on specific interactions that seem mind numbingly complex at first and really break them down nicely. After that they throw crazy impossible looking rooms at you and you can feel good for actually being able to conquer them! Advanced concepts 3 should strive to do the same. We would need to identify some particularly tricky or complex interactions introduced by Gunthro or TSS. Here are some ideas:

Multiple Pushes on Bethro Doubles The pushing weapons introduced by TSS have lead to what is my personal new favorite advanced interaction: multiple pushes in one turn on mimics, time clones, etc. You can move yourself across the entire screen in one go, survive otherwise lethal objects due to turn order, and do all sorts of other insane things. I would volunteer to do this since I've already played around with this quite a bit for a hold I'm putting together (should be beta testing soon, please PM me if you're interested in testing!)

Interrupting the Time Flow Temporal Split Tokens can be exploited in so many interesting ways to make mind bending puzzles. One of the best is the type of puzzle that requires recording a move sequence with a clone, then somehow manipulating that clone to either alter or interrupt the sequence. There are loads of ways to do this (even if you exclude all the new pushing weapons) and I think this would make for a neat advanced concepts level.

Gentryii Manipulation Of all the new monsters, I find Gentryii the most frustrating to manipulate. The heads are simple enough when they are unencumbered, as they just follow a normal bee-lining movement pattern, but the stupid chain always seems to complicate things. I have absolutely no idea how the chain works and have no intuition for when and how it will straighten out. I would love for someone to do an advanced concepts level on this so I can stop hating gentryii puzzles.

Those are just some thoughts. I'm sure others will come up with more. Like I said, I'd be happy to do a multiple pushing level if others like the idea. By the way, I like the hub you designed azb.

03-12-2015 at 03:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb

File: Advanced Concepts TSS v1.hold (10.1 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
To give this project a better kick start, I decided to create a level to both give an example of a level, and save people work (one less level.) The level I made introduces the Staff. If you think something in my level is poorly explained, or find out something doesn't work right, don't hesitate to let me know.

07-26-2015 at 08:51 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
1N2W: typo, "pushabe"

2N1W: Rock Giants do not move through the Staff. Try stepping onto the pressure plate facing North, then stepping NW. If Rock Giants could move through the Staff, he would now kill Beethro.

1N1E: Much more could be said about the Staff/Fluff interaction. The Staff will push individual squares of fluff in any direction. Pushing one square of fluff into another destroys it. If the resulting formation of fluff is unstable, any squares that cannot remain part of a stable blob become fluff babies.

Not mentioned: if a puff is under the Staff, you cannot push it. Attempting to do so will be treated as stepping into the puff, which kills Beethro.

Not mentioned: Queens also skip their spawn if stunned on turn 30.

Not mentioned: The Staff can push a tarstuff mother from one tile to another, but only within its own type of tarstuff.

Typo, "thirteith"

Overall, that was a fun level with a series of mini-puzzles that were easy but not trivial to complete. However, it felt rushed, especially in comparison to the original Advanced Concepts levels. Pushing, stunning and fluff manoeuvres could each be spread over several rooms to give players more time to get used to all the nuances.

Not a bad start, though! :thumbsup

07-26-2015 at 11:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb

File: Advanced Concepts TSS v2.hold (11.6 KB)
Downloaded 61 times.
Okay, I didn't drastically change any of the rooms, but I did edit the scrolls according to your suggestions, and added several new rooms to explain interactions with Roach Queens, Puffs, Seep, and Constructs over Oremites.

08-01-2015 at 03:32 AM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
Is this still going on?

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

12-07-2015 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Yes, of course. I'm still waiting for someone to sign up (I accept PM's, so you can just PM me if you want.)

12-28-2015 at 05:17 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Advanced Concepts for TSS
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com