Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Modifying X_ and Y_ variables can put player character on top of a monster
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
IP: Logged
icon Modifying X_ and Y_ variables can put player character on top of a monster (0)  
Version: 5.0.1.5973 PC

Recreation:
1) Create a script that modifies the player's position through the X_ and Y_ variable so that he is on the same tile as a monster
2) Test. The player will end up on top of the monster, either of them unharmed, until the player steps off the tile, where he is killed unless the move he makes kills the monster.

What should happen: Teleporting the player onto a monster's location should either kill it or kill the player.

I'm just checking to see if this is intended or not. I discovered this while writing a 'jumping off a ledge' script that plops the player at the bottom of a "ledge", and found out that I could stand on top of a monster. This could actually work really well as a little gimmick, but it feels like it shouldn't happen at all. The script is really simple:
Label LOOOP
  Wait for event Player teeters on pit edge
  If ... 
        Wait for entity Player 17,4,21,4
     Set var "_Y" + 4
  If End 
  Wait 0
  Go to LOOOP

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-01-2014 at 05:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Modifying X_ and Y_ variables can put player character on top of a monster (0)  
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
What should happen: Teleporting the player onto a monster's location should either kill it or kill the player.
I'm pretty sure the current behavior is intended, but the dev team (probably TFMurphy) can correct me if I'm wrong.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-03-2014 08:02 PM]
07-03-2014 at 08:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Modifying X_ and Y_ variables can put player character on top of a monster (+1)  
I don't believe it would ever be intended (and, in a different thread, Mike expressed that this is not intended behavior) and this was fixed as part of changes to this http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=39016

05-17-2015 at 11:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: Modifying X_ and Y_ variables can put player character on top of a monster (+1)  
I am reopening this thread because I've realized this has not actually been addressed in the changes for 5.0.2. I think the player (or any other character) should be either forbidden from teleporting onto another entity or telefrag (kill) the monster on the target.

Consider teleporting onto another entity an unsafe operation which can be changed in newer updates until the official ruling is posted.

07-25-2015 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
01-24-2016 at 09:06 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: Modifying X_ and Y_ variables can put player character on top of a monster (0)  
Haven't tested this, bumping it in hopes someone who understands MyScript better than me has the time.

Basically I haven't confirmed that changing X and Y for the player has the same effects as teleporting, as noted in the linked topic.
02-26-2016 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: Modifying X_ and Y_ variables can put player character on top of a monster (+2)  
Okay, now I can confirm that changing X and Y directly has the same restrictions as teleportation in 5.1.0.6478.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 02-27-2016 07:18 PM]
02-27-2016 at 07:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Modifying X_ and Y_ variables can put player character on top of a monster
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com