Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : TSS Beta Testing (Our News For March)
Page 4 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Trickster
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 662
IP: Logged
icon Re: TSS Beta Testing (0)  
wait--can I ask if I actually ordered this thing: pain meds kind of make it hard to remember everything

(you can always say 'no' and get more of my money it's okay)

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

05-23-2014 at 09:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fang
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
Trickster wrote: Regrettably, 423 of those sounds are just Beethro screaming.
Make it double.

05-23-2014 at 09:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1062
icon Re: TSS Beta Testing (+1)  
Trickster wrote:
wait--can I ask if I actually ordered this thing: pain meds kind of make it hard to remember everything

Go search your inbox(en) for emails from orders@cavaralgames.com If you have some go check to see what you bought.

05-23-2014 at 09:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Trickster wrote:

Send an email to support@caravelgames.com and we can look it up based off your email address too.

05-23-2014 at 09:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Rank Points: 254
Seems the project will be wrapping up pretty nicely, then. :)
05-24-2014 at 12:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
hyperme wrote:
Trickster wrote:

Go search your inbox(en) for emails from orders@cavaralcaravelgames.com If you have some go check to see what you bought.
Yay that worked!

(Looking for caravelgames.com in general had brought up thousands of forum post notifications.) :P

Official Hold Progress

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

[Last edited by Trickster at 05-24-2014 05:49 PM]
05-24-2014 at 05:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: TSS Beta Testing (+3)  
With permission, I'm posting general feedback from another beta tester who has advanced close to the very end of the game.
Fact of the matter is, this game is good. It is leaps and bounds above the previous games in graphic quality, plot quality, length, literally every aspect I can think of. This is absolutely the best thing you guys have ever produced.

This has made up for the spider cave. I can't make it any clearer than that.

It also delves (heh) further into the world of the Eighth, which is a giant bonus. It's an amazing world that sadly rarely got much screentime in the game itself. I know this is the last game, but I'm really hoping there are some more Smitemaster's Selections in you guys to flesh out a few more parts.

I will say there are very few levels that feel like obnoxious brick walls. The voice acting is top notch. Is it going to confuse people that there's like four different kinds of 'secret rooms'? Sure. But holy crap, this game is a batch of endless collectibles and secrets.

This is seriously going to be the defining DROD game. I can feel it, and I really hope this signals the success Caravel Games deserves, and I'm frankly incredibly grateful to have been a part of its creation.
(To preemptively clarify, the part about "secret rooms" doesn't refer to new types of room classifications in the editor or anything like that. It's hold-specific advancement.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-29-2014 07:04 PM]
05-29-2014 at 07:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
mrimer wrote:
Is it going to confuse people that there's like four different kinds of 'secret rooms'? Sure. But holy crap, this game is a batch of endless collectibles and secrets.
(To preemptively clarify, the part about "secret rooms" doesn't refer to new types of room classifications in the editor or anything like that. It's hold-specific advancement.)

So let's see, are these the "types of secret rooms" that they're referring to?

-Regular secret rooms
-Rooms in secret levels that are marked as required, but the level lets out into a secret room
-Rooms that are marked as required but you don't need to go through the blue door for the main exit, the blue door leads to a secret room/level
-Rooms in (the) post-mastery level(s)

Or something else entirely?

In any case, mastering TSS seems like it's going to be quite a challenge.

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 05-30-2014 12:18 AM]
05-30-2014 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
karlpopper
Rank Points: 263
mrimer wrote:
The voice acting is top notch.
Well, :blush thanks - y'know an english accent does add sophistication and old-world charm.

mrimer wrote:
I do have you in mind, Karl! Keep it up! Sounds like you're really close. Sorry for the difficult secrets in JtRH.
Reporting in: the month of May is not quite over, and I've just mastered, and post-mastered JtRH, so no hold ups at this end.

[Last edited by karlpopper at 05-30-2014 01:43 AM : Punctuation.]
05-30-2014 at 01:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Pinnacle wrote:
So let's see, are these the "types of secret rooms" that they're referring to?
I want to keep this a surprise. This is a play-and-find-out.

05-30-2014 at 05:19 AM
Drgamer
Rank Points: 113
I'm guessing it's a thematic difference. Probably who uses/built them. Or a lore difference. Say smuggler's den versus something like an hidden empire storage space.

I'd actually be surprised if I even one of those example/guesses were accurate.
05-30-2014 at 09:32 AM
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
If I had to guess, I'd suspect that some of the rooms were non-secret and non-required but contain stuff anyway.

05-30-2014 at 03:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fang
I'm the most interested to finally explore the Eighth. I've been waiting to do so for so long, I remember gazing at the map of the Journey to Rooted Hold demo and telling myself "Is that the world? It looks really big. I hope I get to explore it." and now, years later, I finally will get to do so. The world of the Eighth has been made with a lot of potential lore in mind, and experiencing it is going to be a blast.

That being said, I can't wait to explore Glorthorred most of all. I think it's my favorite area of the world and I haven't even seen any of it yet. Or did I? I can't remember. I think I didn't. Yet.

05-31-2014 at 01:49 PM
TheEpickz98
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
Fang wrote:
I'm the most interested to finally explore the Eighth. I've been waiting to do so for so long, I remember gazing at the map of the Journey to Rooted Hold demo and telling myself "Is that the world? It looks really big. I hope I get to explore it." and now, years later, I finally will get to do so. The world of the Eighth has been made with a lot of potential lore in mind, and experiencing it is going to be a blast.

That being said, I can't wait to explore Glorthorred most of all. I think it's my favorite area of the world and I haven't even seen any of it yet. Or did I? I can't remember. I think I didn't. Yet.

O hope so, even if we do! Will we be able to do a smiler thing in the Level Creator?
06-01-2014 at 05:06 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
TheEpickz98 wrote:
O hope so, even if we do! Will we be able to do a smiler thing in the Level Creator?
Of course!

...but seriously, yes.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 06-01-2014 09:50 AM]
06-01-2014 at 09:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Fang wrote:

You know, it's funny you say that, becau
06-02-2014 at 08:15 AM
Fang
Banjooie wrote:
You know, it's funny you say that, becau
Ah, that's really reassuring, since I was worried I wa

06-02-2014 at 10:41 PM
mrimer
I don't ev

06-02-2014 at 11:49 PM
Pearls
Rank Points: 767
You should mark this thread for sp

06-03-2014 at 04:31 AM
mrimer
Let the pre-rejoicings begin! We now have a demo build to test! We have RCBs (release candidate builds)!

What this means is that we have a complete game on our hands. We'll test it out a bit more, and if we don't find any new issues, we'll release! We can't say exactly what day we'll decide we've tested enough and we're done, but I'd project it will be within the next ten days. Stay tuned for the news!

At this point, in order to get the game out faster, you can wish the dev team and testers luck that we have time and energy to go the final lap. Everyone has truly worked tirelessly for a long time now and they deserve to be commended for their efforts. When you see the game, I think all their hard work will show in the overall quality of the game.

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-08-2014 03:49 AM]
06-08-2014 at 03:47 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Color me most pre-joiced.

Good luck to the testers, can't wait to see the fruit of their hard work, and of everyone else involved! :D

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

06-08-2014 at 03:48 AM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Congratulations everyone!

We really appreciate everything you've done! :)

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
06-08-2014 at 04:25 AM
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
I don't know if this is too much to ask, but I'm guessing we'll have at least a day or so of warning before TSS comes out so we can all know when to pounce on it at the same time.

06-08-2014 at 05:37 AM
DyRsOfDh14
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 56
Good luck everyone, can't wait to see how much you put into this!
06-08-2014 at 05:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
blorx1 wrote:
I don't know if this is too much to ask, but I'm guessing we'll have at least a day or so of warning before TSS comes out so we can all know when to pounce on it at the same time.
Yes, I'll absolutely give advance notice.

However, I'm wondering whether I should be worried about a grundle of people attempting to download TSS from the Caravel server simultaneously. Schik would probably be the one to answer definitively, but it sounds a lot like taking the server out joyriding on the tracks to me. I'll see if BMTMicro will let those who pre-ordered download it from there when I put the installer file up.

06-08-2014 at 06:30 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: TSS Beta Testing (+3)  
mrimer wrote:
but it sounds a lot like taking the server out joyriding on the tracks to me.

If my rank points fall out i am holding you personally responsible
06-08-2014 at 07:41 AM
BlueFlower
Rank Points: 156
Banjooie wrote:
mrimer wrote:
but it sounds a lot like taking the server out joyriding on the tracks to me.

If my rank points fall out i am holding you personally responsible
Rank Points!?

I'd be concerned if Caravel let out a bunch of Dungeon Roaches (Dungeonous Roachicus).

06-08-2014 at 07:43 AM
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
I have been waiting for TSS for ages ever since its announcement of beginning in August 2012. I must admit GatEB is VERY dull so that is all the more reason to be psyched for the next release! GO CARAVEL! :yahoo:

06-08-2014 at 01:30 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
azb wrote:
I have been waiting for TSS for ages ever since its announcement of beginning in August 2012. I must admit GatEB is VERY dull so that is all the more reason to be psyched for the next release! GO CARAVEL! :yahoo:
GatEB had some fun levels near the end (Grotto Hideout, Rock Giant Lair, Slithia's Nest, Englos Keep, and Inner Chambers are all really great medium-difficulty levels) but overall, yeah it was pretty easy. Looks like TSS will be more of a challenge. After all, if you aren't occasionally shaking your fist at the monitor in a mix of anger and awe at the evil/brilliant architect that made this room, it's not the full DROD experience.

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 06-08-2014 01:44 PM]
06-08-2014 at 01:44 PM
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
What I was referring to was the complete lack of new elements. It was almost like another TCB outside of the hold.

06-08-2014 at 01:54 PM
Page 4 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : TSS Beta Testing (Our News For March)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com