Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Look! Links! (For posting cool links for all to see)
<<45464748
Page 49 of 56
50515253>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
petkish
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged
icon Re: Look! Links! (+1)  
Nuntar wrote:
I see. The thing is, in both the above arguments you use the same faulty negation when dealing with a statement similar to "Two of the green doors are safe".

Removed the ambiguous negation. Added some inhabitants into the labyrinth.
Do not believe anything said by a vampire.
Check what humans say, it may be truth or complete lie.
Always believe wizards.
And if a guy hides his face, you first need to check of what type is he - human, wizard or a vampire.
01-16-2010 at 10:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
Briareos wrote:
A new take on an old classic - First Person Tetris :D
Relevant.

01-16-2010 at 01:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1211
petkish wrote:
Removed the ambiguous negation. Added some inhabitants into the labyrinth.
Do not believe anything said by a vampire.
Check what humans say, it may be truth or complete lie.
Always believe wizards.
And if a guy hides his face, you first need to check of what type is he - human, wizard or a vampire.
Looks good! Maybe you should start a separate topic for discussing The Solomon's Labyrinth though, it doesn't really fit here.

01-16-2010 at 04:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: Look! Links! (0)  
Briareos wrote:
A new take on an old classic - First Person Tetris :D
Not a bad game. Could've been worse. :thumbsup

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
01-16-2010 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
To me this felt very important. It's about the sience of manipulating kids through comercials, and I found it frightening. I had no idea, for instance, that companies hire scientists to study childrens lives, and even follow them in to the bathroom to see how they interact with certain products of interest.
01-20-2010 at 10:25 AM
Rheb
Blondbeard wrote:
To me this felt very important. It's about the sience of manipulating kids through comercials, and I found it frightening. I had no idea, for instance, that companies hire scientists to study childrens lives, and even follow them in to the bathroom to see how they interact with certain products of interest.
That really got me down :( Just... just horrible!

01-20-2010 at 03:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Personally I'm not at all surprised, this kind of thing has been going on for a very long time. But that doesn't make it any less depressing.
01-20-2010 at 04:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
Wait. Hold on. All of this has been going on behind my back, despite me being in the target demographic? damn I'm lucky :>
Okay, I guess the school lunchroom isn't exempt from advertising, but no one ever notices it, and even if they do look at it, they see the blurb, say 'eh?', and walk off. But are my future co-workers actually going to be mindless, marketing-driven sleazes? If so, is that really fair to the rest of us who made it out with free will? :(
of course, I COULD be under the illusion that I have free will, and am still controlled by ads, but now I'm just being (rightfully) paranoid :>

[Last edited by Monkey at 01-20-2010 11:48 PM]
01-20-2010 at 11:41 PM
NiroZ
Depends on what you define as free will. If free will is simply to power to select A over B by your own autonomy, determinism doesn't really undermine that.
01-21-2010 at 05:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
icon Re: Look! Links! (+3)  
Sometimes I wonder whether the human race deserves to exist because of all this. Regardless of how advanced our technology and culture is, we are still selfish, exploitative monkeys with guns and computers.

Anyway, something a bit more upbeat: A Single Sheet of Paper.

01-22-2010 at 10:08 AM
Rheb
eb0ny wrote:
Wow! Some of the house and skeleton works were so amazing I just couldn't believe my eyes!

01-22-2010 at 01:15 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
eb0ny wrote:
Sometimes I wonder whether the human race deserves to exist because of all this. Regardless of how advanced our technology and culture is, we are still selfish, exploitative monkeys with guns and computers.
I'm sure you have a more advanced alternative up your sleeve, right?

01-22-2010 at 04:05 PM
eb0ny
Jatopian wrote:
Dictatorship of a benevolent supreme being, maybe? It is not like we can rule ourselves properly.

Then again, given my limited life experience, I am not in a position to make a statement of this kind, am I?

01-22-2010 at 07:28 PM
Rheb
eb0ny wrote:
And check out the large scale works posted on his website, they're even more amazing.

01-22-2010 at 10:08 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
eb0ny wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
Dictatorship of a benevolent supreme being, maybe? It is not like we can rule ourselves properly.
Hmm, isn't that what religion is all about? :P

Actually, no, not really. Nvrmnd then.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 01-22-2010 11:08 PM]
01-22-2010 at 11:08 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Blondbeard wrote:
The Frontline documentary "The Merchants of Cool" also does a very good job of talking about this topic.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

01-23-2010 at 01:22 PM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
eb0ny wrote:
Sometimes I wonder whether the human race deserves to exist because of all this.
If by "the human race" you're actually referring only to those who work in the advertising industry, then yeah, I couldn't agree with you more.
;)

[Last edited by Lamkin at 01-23-2010 03:46 PM]
01-23-2010 at 03:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
How about this analyst who said that "App Store Piracy Losses Estimated At $459 Million"?

Now, someone else who actually read the article and came to conclusion -using the same numbers, mind-, that "it could even be as low as $0.3m."

I'm definitely going to recommend this analyst to my worst enemy ;)

01-24-2010 at 01:26 AM
NiroZ
eh, the traditional media have become so desperate for a story that, really, their articles are about as trustworthy as their horoscopes. I think the Carlos hoax is the best case of this, but really, examples of this are a dime a dozen.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 01-24-2010 01:47 AM]
01-24-2010 at 01:46 AM
Tim
NiroZ wrote:
eh, the traditional media have become so desperate for a story that, really, their articles are about as trustworthy as their horoscopes.
I have the feeling that you don't understand what I said. Unlike what you may have heard, traditional media are not desperate for a story (at least the good ones).

If they are really desperate, they will make up their own stories. That's not the case here, as they actually found real analysts who make up these things.

I don't have any problem with these analysts either, although if I were their boss I would give them a "promotion path".

Besides, the reason why I link the article here is because the annotated version is even more entertaining.

[Last edited by Tim at 01-24-2010 01:52 PM : re-edit]
01-24-2010 at 03:41 AM
NiroZ
Um... I'm not sure exactly what you are responding to. If you wanted to know what the Carlos hoax was, you could just have asked, and I would have linked to this. I think that would also help settle what I meant by desperate for a story.

As for everything else you said... I'm not exactly sure what you are responding to.

PS. May I remind you that there is no need to be condescending.
01-24-2010 at 04:32 AM
Tim
As for everything else you said... I'm not exactly sure what you are responding to.
I'm sorry to hear you feel that. I thought you were from the US. ;) Apologies. (and a mod up)

I've edited my previous post, perhaps you could tell me if it's more readable.

Since you are living literally on the other side of the globe, I'll tell you that the only news item from Australia that actually reaches here is the news about prince William. For the recent years.

[Last edited by Tim at 01-24-2010 01:53 PM]
01-24-2010 at 01:39 PM
eb0ny
Wee planets. A collection of some very impressive composite panoramic photographs.

02-08-2010 at 09:53 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
The Incredible Machine?

No camera tricks either; just 4 minutes of pure brilliance.
03-05-2010 at 08:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
TripleM wrote:
The Incredible Machine?
Nope, just your regular ol' Rube Goldberg Machine... ;)

03-05-2010 at 10:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Self promotion: The Empty Pond

It's my twitter feed for my amusing Haiku. My server submits one to the account every night at 12:12, and so far I'm covered in advance all the way through April and part of May.

03-09-2010 at 02:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
icon Re: Look! Links! (+2)  
05-08-2010 at 09:52 AM
Tim
icon Re: Look! Links! (+2)  
If Mario Was Designed in 2010

05-09-2010 at 07:50 PM
bdwing
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 288
Game! - where the stick is mightier than the sword

This is a browser-based game quite similar to the Kingdom of Loathing.

"Until it ends, there is no end."
05-23-2010 at 04:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rheb
just felt I had to link this. It'll put a smile on your face. :)

05-29-2010 at 10:01 PM
<<45464748
Page 49 of 56
50515253>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Look! Links! (For posting cool links for all to see)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com