Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Flash DROD into many languages
<<2345
Page 6 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Zaratustra00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
IP: Logged
icon Re: Flash DROD into many languages (0)  
And that's 1/3 of the Portuguese translation taken care of, whew.
05-04-2012 at 12:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Damien
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
About the same for the French one.

And as always I have some questions/remarks :
Can you put the language next to the translators' names in the credits ?
There are two colons here "Original Coding, Idea & Levels::"

05-04-2012 at 02:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Damien wrote:
Can you put the language next to the translators' names in the credits ?
Sure thing, I can.
There are two colons here "Original Coding, Idea & Levels::"
I think I have already fixed it in the English txts.

05-04-2012 at 07:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Rank Points: 254
I am entirely sure the Finnish translation is ready to go. :) There are exactly three files to see, but the backup one was made in case we need to fix something, and need to know the terms we came up with.
I don't know where Pekka is, but he did the most of the work and I want to salute him for that. Thanks, man! :thumbsup

Hope the translation proves to be useful, we did what we could and little bit more!
05-04-2012 at 06:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DyRsOfDh14
Rank Points: 56
Just letting you know, my internet connection isn't working well lately, so I don't think I will finish the translation by this Sunday (the estimate I gave), so I'll probably finish them by next week.
05-05-2012 at 12:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Finnish, German and Dutch are already implemented, check the English pad for more details.

Would it be possible for you to look through the game at least a little bit to make sure everything displays correctly?

05-05-2012 at 09:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
The Architest wrote:

I don't know where Pekka is, but he did the most of the work and I want to salute him for that. Thanks, man! :thumbsup

I'm right here. You're welcome. You had a lot of good ideas and did fine work too, so you deserve my thanks in turn. :)

I'll have some time to test the games and look at the translation in use now, especially during the weekend. I guess if there is need, I will sends PMs to Skell and Architest as appropriate from now on.
05-05-2012 at 10:17 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
skell wrote:
Would it be possible for you to look through the game at least a little bit to make sure everything displays correctly?
How would one go about to do that? I wouldn't mind checking the German translation...

np: Public Image Ltd. - Armada (9)

05-05-2012 at 05:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
I can create you an account on the Etherpad, just PM me your email address.

05-05-2012 at 05:29 PM
Grizzly
Rank Points: 41
skell, regarding Backstory 3: The English variant already utilizes the full page without any real free spaces. So all languages that are naturally a little bit longer do not have any space to play with. Wouldn't it be possible to split Backstory 3 into Backstory 3+Backstory 4?

Also, the buttons on the Backstory part (Back, Close, Next) still have English captions in the translation. They seem to be missing from the translation text.

Further edit:
Uhm, may I ask for some kind of debug feature that just holds all available scroll texts in a scroll graphic - to cycle through them? I don't want to play through the whole game to find out if some translated text doesn't fit into the available scroll dimensions. :?
Or of course just an application that looks like a scroll and lets me input custom text with the appropriate font. Then we can just test very long scroll texts by copy-pasting the text from the MoPad.

Which level do serpents first appear? Is it 7? And is there a shortcut to level 7? Because I want to test the translation for "snakesPrefer=" without fighting my way through levels 5 and 6.

PS: The level name is still "First Level", although we've got this part in the translation: First Level=Erster Level

[Last edited by Grizzly at 05-06-2012 12:13 AM]
05-05-2012 at 10:55 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
There shouldn't be a problem with that. The first two paragraphs of page 3 can stay on page 3, and the rest can be page 4. And we'll have to update the pagination for flawless consistency.

05-05-2012 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Donny
Rank Points: 40
Well... I'm Thai and I'm glad to help! Just wondering if there's any of Thai guys here.

David Hilbert (1862-1943)
05-06-2012 at 03:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Donny wrote:
Well... I'm Thai and I'm glad to help! Just wondering if there's any of Thai guys here.
Well, the statistics page says there are 8 registered forum users from Thailand, but sadly it doesn't say if they're even still active here...

05-06-2012 at 10:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
@Znirk, Grizzly: nachdem mir Skell auch noch einen EtherPad-Account verpasst hat gehe ich gerade nochmal den Text durch; koenntet ihr meine Aenderungen auch noch mal durchsehen?

05-06-2012 at 12:14 PM
Briareos
@skell: I've noticed it says "Here is a small reward! Do <such and such>." several times - shouldn't that be "Here is a small challenge!"? Or is that something Kongregate-/Flash-Game-specific that I'm not used to?

05-06-2012 at 01:00 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Nah, it's just that your reward is another puzzle. This time with scripting.

05-06-2012 at 07:07 PM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
icon Re: Flash DROD into many languages (+1)  
In the Options screen, can we abbreviate "Caravelnet" to "CNet" or some such? It's just that the English word for "key" is really, really short; any translations (OK, except for French) will pretty much inevitably run into the text entry field.

Oh, and MoPad is semi-broken at the moment. Playing with the current text works, but any functions referring to earlier versions seem to be down.

[Last edited by Znirk at 05-06-2012 10:16 PM]
05-06-2012 at 10:15 PM
DyRsOfDh14
Rank Points: 56
Ok, I have already finished all the spanish translations, it is now on the mopad :)
I would like someone to revise it, though...
05-07-2012 at 05:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Znirk wrote:
In the Options screen, can we abbreviate "Caravelnet" to "CNet" or some such?
Yep.

So all languages that are naturally a little bit longer do not have any space to play with. Wouldn't it be possible to split Backstory 3 into Backstory 3+Backstory 4?
As Jatopian said, yes just create another entry backstory4, I will take care of the coding.

Uhm, may I ask for some kind of debug feature that just holds all available scroll texts in a scroll graphic - to cycle through them?
Sure, that is reasonable to code.

05-07-2012 at 06:45 AM
Pekka
Skell, can you test how long the room names can be without the display breaking? Finnish written numerals are really rather long, so I'm rather worried we'd run out of space with rooms that are more than ten rooms' distance from the Entrance. You could use the Finnish translation we've made with Architest, to run this test.

As an example, the Finnish equivalent of the text "First Level: Once North, [Seventeen times] West" would be "Ensimmäinen kerros: Kerran pohjoiseen, Seitsemestitoista länteen" and well... that's what we're stuck with. We could use actual numerals to make it "17 kertaa länteen", which isn't much of an improvement. If we'd really stretch it, I suppose we could go with "1 pohjoisessa, 17 lännessä", but I'm not sure I like that. What does The Architest think?

Anyway, it would be helpful to know approximately how many letters that Room title bar can possibly accommodate.

It's probably not possible to see anything like this example in the game's hold, if it doesn't have rooms that far from the entrance. Still, it would be better to not leave potential problems in the translation.

05-07-2012 at 06:19 PM
skell
Peeka, in that case why don't you just use 2S 1E? I mean the numbers and short compass directions' names. The top scroll text ineed is not very wide and without any tests I can say that "Ensimmäinen kerros: Kerran pohjoiseen, Seitsemestitoista länteen" will never fit, but replacing number names with actual numbers fits well.

I should have a new version with some cool debugging today ;).

05-07-2012 at 06:32 PM
skell
Okay folks, new version of the game has been posted. Check out the English pad for the details :).

05-07-2012 at 09:02 PM
Grizzly
Rank Points: 41

File: achievementbox.png (9.2 KB)
Downloaded 368 times.
License: Other
Thank you, those are great debug features and they help a lot. Of course, the changes will only be available in the next compiled version, but we can estimate quite good how much we have to shorten the texts.

One scroll text doesn't seem to be available for translation:
KDD1: 60: Red gates open when all trapdoors are dropped

Also, can we get a similar debug feature for the content of achievement boxes?

(don't mind the overlapping instruction text, I think I've already taken care of that by shortening it)

[Last edited by Grizzly at 05-08-2012 10:16 AM]
05-08-2012 at 10:15 AM
Pekka
@Skell: We can use the short room names, of course. I was just hoping we might just manage to fit something that is faithful to the original English, but since it isn't possible, we'll just use digits and letters.

05-09-2012 at 08:30 PM
Zaratustra00
Portuguese, done.
05-10-2012 at 09:04 PM
robin
Rank Points: 842
@skell: I made some comments in the testing pad

05-11-2012 at 09:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
skell
Portuguese added.
@robin - all fixed
@grizzly - added functionality.

New version has been posted under the same URLs, check out the English pad for details.

----

Now an important announcement. We have German, Portuguese, Finnish, Spanish and Dutch languages. I know Norwegian won't be done, and there isn't much done in Russian and Italian. French is done outside of Etherpad so I can't monitor it's progress. The big question is:

Will you be finishing these languages, or you don't want to? I don't want the time you have already spent to be wasted, but at the same time, I don't want to wait another weeks for the game release, I'd rather begin closing it now. If you won't reply I will assume you won't have time/don't want to/whatever the reason to finish it, but no hard feelings from me, I understand (I myself gave up on Polish translation) ;).

05-11-2012 at 11:41 AM
Damien
Rank Points: 42
skell wrote: [what about the French translation ?]
About 2/3 done. I have some more free time, now, so it should move along much faster.
I can't really give you an estimated date, though, but no more than a full week from now if all goes well.

05-11-2012 at 07:20 PM
Zaratustra00
Problem: Level names didn't translate on the Restore menu.
05-11-2012 at 09:29 PM
skell
Zaratustra00 wrote:
Problem: Level names didn't translate on the Restore menu.
Thanks, will be fixed in new version.

05-11-2012 at 09:30 PM
<<2345
Page 6 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Flash DROD into many languages
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No