Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : [POLL] Clicking on a door to reveal which orbs/pressure plates affect it (Would you like this feature to be implemented?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Would you like this feature to be implemented?
Yes
No
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Bombadil
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 509
IP: Logged
icon [POLL] Clicking on a door to reveal which orbs/pressure plates affect it (+2)  
I suggested this idea in another thread and mrimer suggested to create this poll to see whether this idea likes so the developers know if it is worth the work to implement in a future patch.

In the other thread there are already some reason for/against this idea, but maybe the discussion should continue here to keep everything in one place.
03-22-2012 at 07:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: [POLL] Clicking on a door to reveal which orbs/pressure plates affect it (+1)  
One can get this info anyway by turning off darkness and clicking every orb and plate. All this idea does is add convenience to preexisting functionality, which is a good thing.

Edit: And having transparent tar if there's tar, but who doesn't have transparent tar?

[Last edited by Jatopian at 03-22-2012 07:32 PM]
03-22-2012 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: [POLL] Clicking on a door to reveal which orbs/pressure plates affect it (0)  
Absolutely yes...

...as long as you don't ask for me to implement it in Flash DROD, because it surely won't find its way into the first engine iteration, sorry :).

03-22-2012 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
icon Re: [POLL] Clicking on a door to reveal which orbs/pressure plates affect it (0)  
It can't be caustic, Trickster. It only traps Beethro, not kills him.

03-22-2012 at 07:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Where is this transparent tar mod? I keep hearing about it and it sounds oh so cool.

03-22-2012 at 07:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: [POLL] Clicking on a door to reveal which orbs/pressure plates affect it (+2)  
There's one here:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=17097
(extract to data/bitmaps, add "General=Transparency" to drod.ini)

All modern rooms where transparency is relevant should just use vision tokens anyway. But the mod is useful when playing old holds.
03-22-2012 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
icon Re: [POLL] Clicking on a door to reveal which orbs/pressure plates affect it (+1)  
There's like four of them, all competing for your gooey love. I use this one if I recall correctly. I used to use a slightly prettier one, but it never got updated to include Gel.

Edit: Hi Doom, you beat me.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 03-22-2012 08:12 PM]
03-22-2012 at 08:12 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Thanks!

03-22-2012 at 08:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
robin
Rank Points: 842
[Post Deleted] Trickster wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
Edit: And having transparent tar if there's tar, but who doesn't have transparent tar?
Me! I am happily non-tar-transparent.

I like my tar like I like my significant others: opaque, squamous, and caustic to human flesh.

Er... :unsure

I have the mod, but I didn't install it. It's nicer this way.
And it takes away some puzzel fun if you installed it.

But clicking on a door to see which orb (or pressure plate), would be nice.

03-23-2012 at 01:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509

Wow, a lot of people have responded in less than a day, and it seems that the idea likes a lot! :thumbsup

I am sorry for the person (Trickster?) who voted against it. Maybe we can think of a way to not reveal orbs that are hidden and used for scripting so everybody can be happy... :)
03-23-2012 at 04:46 PM
Jatopian
*shrug* There will always be the option of clicking every hidden square in a room. Again, this suggestion is a great convenience, not a new capability.

03-23-2012 at 04:53 PM
kyevan
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 54
Heh, for the 'script-smacked orbs', maybe the solution is to make it possible/easier for a script to directly toggle the doors so the orb doesn't have to be there :P
03-23-2012 at 06:29 PM
kyevan
DROD's scripting is so basic last time I tried to do a hold it made me want to trash the engine and rewrite it to be script-based from scratch. (Baseline: it should, at a MINIMUM, be possible to do everything the built-in game elements do from a script.)

[Last edited by kyevan at 03-23-2012 08:03 PM]
03-23-2012 at 08:03 PM
kyevan
Why not? Essentially all they need to know is where "Beethro" is, if they can see them, and a map of the room. Hell, most monsters only need the 8 cells surrounding them. Everything else is honestly pretty simple.

(Also, look at any game built on the Unreal Engine. Just about *everything* in that is implemented in uscript.)
03-24-2012 at 02:24 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
Ah, yeah, it was already mentioned elsewhere this UI feature will be in 5.0.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-05-2013 at 07:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : [POLL] Clicking on a door to reveal which orbs/pressure plates affect it (Would you like this feature to be implemented?) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com