Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : So what are you looking forward towards in 2010?
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Bobpie
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 54
IP: Logged
icon So what are you looking forward towards in 2010? (0)  
Title explains itself.

No more heroes 2- While the first game had it's flaws gameplay-wise, the story, bosses, and overall presentation of it were superb; Not to mention some of the things Suda is promising for NMH2 make me feel like a 5 year old on the way to the candy shop.

Brutal Legend- Not much to say about this, fanboism blocks out all but Tim.

Super Mario Galaxy 2- In my opinion, Super Mario Galaxy is probably the BEST game this generation. Fantastic gameplay, a beautiful soundtrack, great visuals, and very high replay value. Now I get a second game with 90% new material and 10% stuff cut from the first game? Atleast I am guarenteed 10% awesomeness.

07-02-2009 at 04:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
icon Re: So what are you looking forward towards in 2010? (0)  
Nothing. Even if I kept up with the new games that come out (which I don't, by the way), I still wouldn't play any of them, because of DROD RPG and occasionally MAngband. That and I generally have yet to see a new mainstream game that I actually care about. I wouldn't even know what games there were nowadays if it wasn't for Zero Punctuation.
I'll just be sitting around for the Linux beta patch for DROD (RPG) now...

07-02-2009 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
A Final Fantasy game wherein one plays as the Dark Warriors.

also, a pony, and a flying car that gets a hundred miles to the gallon

[Last edited by Jatopian at 07-02-2009 04:58 PM]
07-02-2009 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
icon Re: So what are you looking forward towards in 2010? (+1)  
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger: Sure, it's already out, and it came out in 2009, and I already have more than a dozen hours logged online, but I've only played three of the twelve characters and with its expansive story mode, incredible balance, superb combo system, unlockable Astral Heats, feature heavy online play and gameplay that makes playing SFIV feel like drinking out of the gutter when you could be drinking fine wine, it should keep me playing long after I move to the land of snow, Cabot and Ben & Jerry's.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker: Portable Ops continued the story of MGS3 fairly well, but suffered the same problem that game did: the story didn't really connect with the rest of the series until MGS4. Kojima has assured fans that Peace Walker will fill in the blanks, explaining how Big Boss founded the first Outer Heaven, long before his vision was corrupted by two angry old men.

Whatever Nippon Ichi feels like making next: La Pucelle: good. Disgaea: great. Phantom Brave: Awesome. Makai Kingdom: Nearly awesome. Disgaea 2: Beyond Awesome. Soul Nomad: Bizarrely awesome. Disgaea 3: Absolutely amazing. XEdge: Slightly less than awesome. Ever since the PS2 generation began, Nippon Ichi has developed and published some of the most creative and addictive strategy games ever made. Some (like Bobpie) say that it is simply influenced too much by its homeland. Sadly, these people (people like Bobpie) simply assume that anything foreign that doesn't take itself seriously needs to be Japanese, and Conservatives (like Bobpie) view it is a threat. Don't listen to them, Nippon Ichi is not only a great company, but they are also the only people who really used next-gen power as it should be used (in Disgaea 3 the graphics are clearly PS2 quality, maybe even PS1 quality, but these gigantic levels and incredible amount of content simply would not fit on a DVD). I wait with bated breath.

Alan Wake: It probably won't be released in 2010, and if Remedy's last new IP Max Payne is any indication, Alan Wake's release date will not be final by any means. That said, every little peek I've had of this game points towards unique, engaging storytelling and gameplay that simply has not been done before. They already revolutionized the third person shooter, let's see if they can do the same with survival-horror and open-world.

Heavy Rain: Indigo Prophecy was an incredible game. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Sure, the story lost steam for the last hour as the many tangled threads of the plot were straightened out, all unfortunately leading to a repetitive string of super-hero like battles, but Lucas Kane and Carla Vilenti are two of the most finely painted characters in either games or movies and Prophecy's new approach to the adventure game formula felt like the perfect realization of interactive cinema. Heavy Rain is the spiritual successor to Indigo Prophecy, and looks to realize that game's dream of true interactivity with a movie. Death is permanent and branching paths are abound: this is one to look forward to.

Final Fantasy XIII: I haven't been keeping up with this game, and after the lukewarm response of FFXII despite it being unquestionably their finest effort since FFVIII (yes, VIII, not VII, which was good but not great), I don't know if they're going back to traditional gameplay or working on a new, even more brilliant experiment, but I know this: ever since FFIV, Square's jRPGs have continuously pushed the envelope when it comes to storytelling, be it the immersive, unforgettable world of FFVIII, the superb time-hopping Chrono Trigger, the dark, complex Xenogears or the multi-faceted and convoluted Chrono Cross. FFV may be the only misstep in this department, and I'm confident that this series often mistaken to be generic and banal will continue to be anything but.

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger: Sure, it's already out, and it came out in 2009. and I already have more than a dozen hours logged online and I've already talked about it, but BlazBlue feels like the sweet realization of perfection for ArkSys after years of being ahead of everyone else with their Guilty Gear X series. We can only hope that BlazBlue receives the level of polishing in the future that Guilty Gear did (yes, I want SFII syndrome. This game is that good).

[Last edited by Snacko at 07-02-2009 09:23 PM]
07-02-2009 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
I've recently stumbled upon a trailer for Dante's Inferno. I agree that this game is certainly not for all people, due to the amount of blood and gore involved, but I'm definitely looking forward to this very unique game.

Left 4 Dead 2 seems interesting as well. And maybe I'll check out Assassin's Creed 2 too.

[Last edited by slimm tom at 07-02-2009 08:10 PM]
07-02-2009 at 08:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
Natural Selection 2, Tremulous 1.2, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.6, Quake Live (Linux client), Elemental, Trine, Diablo 3, Rage, DooM IV. Machinarium. Feist.

Trend of the year seems to be equating LAN with software piracy, and software piracy with supporting terrorism.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 07-02-2009 11:05 PM]
07-02-2009 at 10:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Snacko
Please don't mention Dante's Inferno. It is a terrible thing to spit in the face of one of the great epics.

07-03-2009 at 01:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
b0rsuk wrote:
Trend of the year seems to be equating LAN with software piracy, and software piracy with supporting terrorism.
Having tried to play Empires: Total War over LAN with my brother, I completely agree. It's also the reason why I'm not getting starcraft 2.
07-03-2009 at 02:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
Snacko wrote:
Please don't mention Dante's Inferno. It is a terrible thing to spit in the face of one of the great epics.
Care to elaborate?
07-03-2009 at 12:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Snacko
They've changed the story to that of a generic action game. In the original story, Dante faced his own follies and sins on both a religious and personal level. There was no fighting involved, and this was necessary as his conflict was entirely internal. From what I've heard, in the game Dante kills the Grim Reaper after Beatrice, who is now not only human but also Dante's girlfriend, despite the fact that Beatrice is supposed to represent everything Dante cannot have due to his own hubris, is dragged into hell by random demons. Also, it seems as though Vergil will be a villain rather than a guide: in the poem, despite being Pagan and thus able to traverse everything up to the lower levels of Purgatory and nothing above, Vergil is seen as heroic by many, freely pointing out that Mohammad was cast into hell as a false prophet (the Italians were set in their ways) yet refusing to give up his own beliefs even knowing what will happen after his death.

How is that not spitting in Dante Alighieri's face? They even begin the trailer with the opening lines to the poem, paying no heed to their meaning.

Though I personally do not agree with the narrow Catholic view the poem portrays, it is still a finely realized story of redemption and is, from a spiritual standpoint, the purest comedy ever made. Even if this is an attempt to mock the often barbaric practices of Christianity, there is a clear line between reinterpretation and disrespect, and by all means this game has crossed it.

07-03-2009 at 04:55 PM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
I would like to take this opportunity to point out that:

A. I agree with everything Snacko just said.

B. Us Christians are troubled just as much by those who call themselves Christian and yet do not have love. Seriously, the "barbaric practices" are not Christ-like in the slightest.

07-03-2009 at 06:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Bigwig
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 25
Not particularly in 2010 but if anyone has ever played Metal Arms Glitch In The System (for Gamecube) then i would like to see a sequel to that.

[Last edited by Bigwig at 07-03-2009 11:52 PM]
07-03-2009 at 11:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Well, 2010 is a bit down the line, but I think I can safely say I'm looking forward to Diablo 3 and the new Mass Effect. Other than that I take my time when it comes to hype, I usually wait until 2 or 3 months before the game comes out to decide whether I think I'll buy a game or not.
07-04-2009 at 03:31 AM
Snacko
Bigwig wrote:
Not particularly in 2010 but if anyone has ever played Metal Arms Glitch In The System (for Gamecube) then i would like to see a sequel to that.

Save for the Max Payne games, that is my single favorite third-person shooter. It's also available for download on the Xbox Live Marketplace in the Xbox Originals section (along with some other oft ignored masterpieces such as Guilty Gear XX #Reload, Crimson Skies: The High Road to Revenge, Max Payne 2 The Fall of Max Payne and, of course, Psychonaughts).

07-04-2009 at 04:26 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Golden Sun DS. 'Nuff said.
07-07-2009 at 08:00 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Snacko
You, sir, get a mod point.

I had forgotten all about that, I never played 2 but loved 1.

07-07-2009 at 12:39 PM
Bobpie
I forgot Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. A new SH with more focus on choices, atmosphere, and story? Yes please. My only concern was that with the lack of combat, you will be forced to run every few minutes, while it may be immersive, it could also prove annoying. Then again, after seeing "combat" in motion I was pleasently surprised by how fluid it looked. You can knock down objects to hinder their pathes, shove them off if they grab you, and with the lack of loading doors, the suspense greatly builds as you wonder if there was another door behind the next one.
07-07-2009 at 01:54 PM
Bobpie
Snacko wrote:
I had forgotten all about that, I never played 2 but loved 1.
From what I heard you can transfer data from 1 to 2, I'm not sure what it does, but if you can find a copy it might be worth it to buy it.
07-07-2009 at 04:08 PM
Snacko
I have a copy, and I know you can. Are you saying you never played Golden Sun?

07-07-2009 at 04:50 PM
Bobpie
I never played Golden Sun 2.
edit: And I have not beaten Golden Sun

[Last edited by Bobpie at 07-07-2009 05:43 PM]
07-07-2009 at 05:35 PM
Snacko
From what I've gathered, the party from the original game joins Felix's party halfway through the game.

07-07-2009 at 05:53 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
That is correct, and it is awesome.

Well except for the fact that Issac speaks, that isn't that awesome but you can't have TWO silent protagonists in a single game. That would just be awkward.
07-07-2009 at 09:32 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Bobpie wrote:
From what I heard you can transfer data from 1 to 2, I'm not sure what it does, but if you can find a copy it might be worth it to buy it.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by coppro at 07-07-2009 11:22 PM : wrong tag]
07-07-2009 at 11:21 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Snacko
Ezlo wrote:
That is correct, and it is awesome.

Well except for the fact that Issac speaks, that isn't that awesome but you can't have TWO silent protagonists in a single game. That would just be awkward.

I remember all of the P3 MC meets P4 MC back on the GFAQs message board.

P3: ...
P4: ...
P3: ...?
P4: ...!
P3: ... ... ...!

07-08-2009 at 01:11 AM
Bobpie
!
|-------------|
|----Alert----|
|----99.99---|
|-------------|
07-09-2009 at 06:53 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Obviously, Mario Galaxy 2 and NSMB Wii. I know, it's coming out this fall, but that's one game I might not get until then because of financial problems. :P

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 07-12-2009 07:32 PM]
07-12-2009 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
Pokémon SoulSilver,Game Maker 8 and other stuff.
Oh I wish that Nintendo would port Mother series in DS.

[Last edited by The Architest at 07-14-2009 10:35 AM]
07-13-2009 at 10:25 AM
Snacko
Is Mass Effect 2 coming out next year? I got the original working on my Mac, and it's epic.

07-14-2009 at 06:31 AM
Bobpie
Snacko wrote:
Is Mass Effect 2 coming out next year? I got the original working on my Mac, and it's epic.
Yes it is
07-14-2009 at 01:14 PM
Snacko
Is the 360 version coming out first, and if so is it using the much imporved PC interface?

07-14-2009 at 10:39 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : So what are you looking forward towards in 2010?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com