Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD Scores (DROD-inspired Music)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged

File: DROD Scores.txt (556 bytes)
Downloaded 61 times.
License: Public Domain
icon DROD Scores (0)  
In this thread you can find my DROD Scores, musical compositions that were inspired by DROD, although not intended for use directly in the game.

Please feel free to download, listen to and distribute them; you will need a player (e.g. Winamp) that supports the .ogg format. Just make sure you credit me as the composer by including the attached text file if you upload the music on the internet.

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me. If you'd like to post a reply, you could reply to this thread or, actually you could just post here (which may make more sense). I'll just link to each post with a DROD score attached to it if later ones get lost somewhere near the end.

Thanks for listening!

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 03-10-2009 11:35 AM]
05-15-2004 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: DROD Scores (0)  
Our attachment size limit was really low before because we didn't have all that much disk space. Now that we've got a dedicated server, and thus a hard drive all to ourselves, space isn't as much of an issue.

I've changed the upload size limit from 1 Meg to 10 Megs. Let's see how it goes - if this becomes a problem for any reason, I'll lower it back down and we'll come up with something else.

This will be great for things like this and for posting larger dat files when people are reporting bugs.

05-15-2004 at 02:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
agaricus5

File: DROD Score 1.ogg (3.7 MB)
Downloaded 53 times.
License: Creative Commons
AttributionNoncommercialShare Alike 3.0 Unported
icon Re: DROD Scores (+1)  

Attached to this post is DROD Score 1. This was the first DROD Score and was inspired by the original Webfoot DROD music (Level 8).

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 03-10-2009 01:31 PM]
05-15-2004 at 10:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5

File: DROD Score 2.ogg (5.6 MB)
Downloaded 49 times.
Attached to this post is DROD Score 2.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 03-10-2009 01:33 PM]
05-15-2004 at 11:05 AM
agaricus5

File: DROD Score 3.ogg (5.9 MB)
Downloaded 41 times.
Attached to this post is DROD Score 3.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 03-10-2009 01:34 PM]
05-16-2004 at 05:39 PM
agaricus5

File: DROD Score 4.ogg (4.9 MB)
Downloaded 42 times.
Attached to this post is DROD Score 4. Despite the number, this is actually my second DROD Score.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 03-10-2009 01:37 PM]
05-16-2004 at 05:51 PM
agaricus5

File: DROD Score 5.ogg (5.4 MB)
Downloaded 42 times.
Attached to this post is DROD Score 5.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 03-10-2009 01:38 PM]
05-16-2004 at 06:40 PM
agaricus5

File: DROD Score 7.ogg (7.4 MB)
Downloaded 44 times.
icon Re: DROD Scores (+2)  
Attached to this post is DROD Score 7. It is my latest piece and is quite different to the previous five.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 03-10-2009 01:39 PM]
02-05-2009 at 09:49 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
It's nice, but it doesn't feel so DRODly. I think Kwakstur hit on something with his description of DROD music here.

02-06-2009 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
icon Re: DROD Scores (+2)  
Another very moving piece, as usual :)
I agree with Jatopian though, I wouldn't quite think of this as "DRODly". I think that might be accountable to how the majority of the piece is in a major key, as opposed to minor. For example, the minor feeling at the beginning sounded like something you would hear around the corner in the dungeons (not that I would know :lol ) But the way you built up the dynamics followed by the sudden diminuendo around 5:45 was wonderful. Nice change of feeling and tempo after that, also. The melody at the beginning is stuck in my head. The climax at the end finished off the piece with a very positive, fortissimo feeling. All in all, very good job Wes!

Welcome back, as well!

02-23-2009 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
After some thought, I think Jatopian's right: I can just link to all the scores on the first thread if things get buried in discussion. So, yeah, go ahead and reply in here if you'd like to leave a comment!

UrAvgAzn wrote:
Another very moving piece, as usual :)
I agree with Jatopian though, I wouldn't quite think of this as "DRODly". I think that might be accountable to how the majority of the piece is in a major key, as opposed to minor.
I'm glad you like it. I guess I should emphasise the "DROD-inspired" adjective a bit more, since it's true; the music wasn't written with DROD: the game necessarily in mind. But I'll continue naming them "DROD Scores", though; I can't think of a more fitting title for music that would certainly not have been written had DROD not existed. :)

Welcome back, as well!
You, too, Jeremy. Are you likely to be DRODing much? The party around here appears to be heating up with quite a number of people returning from various absences. You should join them!

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 03-10-2009 01:40 PM]
02-23-2009 at 10:45 PM
UrAvgAzn
Whether the pieces sound "DRODly" or not, it doesn't matter much to me. Your scores sound good either way, its just that the name might be misleading. When you say you'll continue naming them "DROD Scores", I take it that you'll be writing more? That's good to hear :) And I may start stopping in more and more, depending on my workload at school, and things going on at taekwondo. I've recently stopped taking piano lessons, so I'll have more time than before.

02-23-2009 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5

File: DS8F1.mp3 (2.7 MB)
Downloaded 33 times.
icon Re: DROD Scores (+3)  
UrAvgAzn wrote:
When you say you'll continue naming them "DROD Scores", I take it that you'll be writing more? That's good to hear :)
Well, since you like my music so much, here's the opening 3 minutes from DROD Score 8.

Ignore the clicks after 1:38; they're recording artifacts introduced because I didn't have the most optimal recording environment on my computer (various programs were probably open at the time).

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 03-15-2009 01:05 AM]
02-23-2009 at 11:09 PM
UrAvgAzn
Sounds very promising. The choice of instruments and sounds here complemented each other nicely; they created a much darker sound. Definitely what you'd hear in the dungeon around the corner ;)
Just out of curiousity, how do you create these scores? Is it a certain program?

02-23-2009 at 11:16 PM
agaricus5
UrAvgAzn wrote:
Just out of curiousity, how do you create these scores? Is it a certain program?
Well, to be precise, it's Sibelius 3 + a Creative SoundBlaster USB sound card + certain instrument sets from the Santa Cruz sound card made by these people + a Yamaha Portatone keyboard + edited instruments from this instrument set.

So, I have a rather complicated setup. But it seems to work! The most important things are the instrument sounds I use, since these determine exactly what the performance sounds like.

02-23-2009 at 11:50 PM
UrAvgAzn
Woah, sounds.. complicated. But you're totally right, it's working.

02-24-2009 at 02:25 AM
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
Sorry for such a necrobump but i just can't skip that.
First, really good job. I LOVE THAT.
Second, i've collected them and uploaded to

[Last edited by 13th Slayer at 03-11-2009 11:25 AM]
03-10-2009 at 11:03 AM
agaricus5
13th Slayer wrote:
Sorry for such a necrobump but i just can't skip that.
First, really good job. I LOVE THAT.
Thanks. I'm glad you like my music.
Second, i've collected them and uploaded to
That's okay, but might I be able to ask you to add the text file attached to the first post into the zip file?

I know it may be inconvenient to re-upload it, and it is my fault for not having considered it before, but I'd just like to make sure that people who download the music understand that I am the composer.

Also, Schik or someone else with admin powers, is it possible to change the licenses on the attached files to CC-BY-NC-SA without having to re-upload the files? I have to admit, I completely forgot all about the licensing and would like to sort it out now before it starts getting lost on the internet.

If not, is it possible for me to re-upload the files and keep the download numbers? I know it's silly, but I would like a rough idea about how many times my music has been downloaded.

Thanks!

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 03-10-2009 12:06 PM]
03-10-2009 at 11:43 AM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Sorry, no, the only way to set the licensing is by re-uploading the attachment.

03-10-2009 at 12:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
agaricus5
Schik wrote:
Sorry, no, the only way to set the licensing is by re-uploading the attachment.
Okay. Thanks for letting me know.

Edit: Okay; all files have been reuploaded and licenses reset. Sorry if I overloaded the server!

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 03-10-2009 01:41 PM]
03-10-2009 at 01:29 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD Scores (DROD-inspired Music)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com