Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Appreciation week
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RRodgers
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
IP: Logged
icon Appreciation week (+3)  
I decree that this week be: Forum Member Appreciation Week!

A week in which we show how much we value everyone and how their contributions keep this community running. During this week, people should be modded up more, and modded down only when the universe would otherwise explode. This thread is for cheering members up, and for telling everyone what a great person they are.

If you feel you have been neglected / offended on this forum, come here for any encouragement you may need. I have observed that some seem to take things far too seriously, and are therefore easily annoyed by something posted. When working with people from any community, wrap any feelings you may have in thick rhino-hide, and give everyone a big, friendly smile. Life becomes a lot easier that way.

I'll start:
Erik - appreciated for creating DROD, the best puzzle game ever. His eloquence in writing is also admired.
Mr Imer - appreciated for all the hard work in the fantastic DROD games. Countless hours would have been wasted if it were not for the heroic labour he performed working on those games. My IQ has developed by up to 400 points more thanks to that.

Who will be appreciated next? :D
12-07-2008 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lamkin
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 606
icon Re: Appreciation week (+1)  
RRodgers wrote:
If you feel you have been neglected / offended on this forum, come here for any encouragement you may need. I have observed that some seem to take things far too seriously, and are therefore easily annoyed by something posted.
Whereas I do not desire to set down a specific theme for this thread, I wish to sincerely apologize for my earlier rudeness regarding your signature, and I encourage you to continue on in your faith. (By the by, my father is an Episcopal priest.)
:pope

[Last edited by Lamkin at 12-07-2008 08:12 PM]
12-07-2008 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RRodgers
Lamkin wrote:
Whereas I do not desire to set down a specific theme for this thread, I wish to sincerely apologize for my earlier rudeness regarding your signature, and I encourage you to continue on in your faith. (By the by, my father is an Episcopal priest.)
:pope
Apology accepted. I really didn't mind it, you might just have been feeling tired or something.
12-07-2008 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Appreciation week (0)  
If we need a special week devoted to this, we have failed as a community.

12-07-2008 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Jatopian wrote:
Well, I personally don't think we need it - but that doesn't mean we can't have it.

Kinda like New Year's celebrations. It's still a new year without them (for some arbitrary value of "year"), but it's fun to celebrate anyway... :)

np: Boy Robot - Old Habits Die Hard (Glamorizing Corporate Lifestyle)

12-07-2008 at 10:34 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1913
I'm too lazy to thank all the great people who have contributed so much, but I would definitely thank Mike Rimer for all his work programming and now basically taking over responsibility for DROD. :thumbsup
12-07-2008 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Jatopian wrote:
Ok jatopian, I'll ask nicely. Stop it. Let people have their fun.

Personally I'd like to thank CSR, who almost singlehandedly seems to run the HA, Architecture and H&S board. I've got no idea how we would do without you.
12-08-2008 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
Thanks to everyone who's testing my hold!
And Lamkin, for not being a Mafia. ;)

12-08-2008 at 01:07 AM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
A big standing ovation to all the architects out there who keep providing us with holds to play.
12-08-2008 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Appreciation week (-2)  
NiroZ wrote:
Ok jatopian, I'll ask nicely. Stop it.
Stop what? Pointing out that Chuck Norris is a played-out meme? Saying I'd rather not have smilies in chat? Criticizing our bare-bones PM system? Noting that Firefox does not, in fact, span multiple processes for multiple tabs - because it doesn't? Being misinterpreted by the oversensitive as being insulting when I wasn't actually? Because these are all things you bunch of jerks have modded me down for recently. Which, incidentally, makes you all technically disqualified by RRodgers's guidelines, so congratulations on being unappreciative.

To be honest, Niro, the fact that you would make a request of me, and especially that you'd ask "nicely" with the subtext that this is somehow a favor, makes part of me want to just be nastier and nastier. But I know very well I've moved past "telling it like it is" to being outright nasty already, so I won't.

12-08-2008 at 10:22 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Appreciation week (+3)  
NiroZ wrote:
... who almost singlehandedly seems to run the HA, Architecture and H&S board...
Hey, thanks for the compliment, NiroZ, but I'll have to post a disclaimer here. I don't singlehandedly "run" any of those boards.

There are a number of quiet people who deserve lots of credit for their continuing work in HA. Schik created and maintains the highscores system and the HA interface. Rabscuttle HA-tests every hold, no matter how hard, how long, how amateur. Stefan created and maintains some java utilities that save us a lot of time when testing and fixing holds.

While there are many people who make helpful posts in H&S, Briareos deserves particular credit for posting cheerful hints since way before I ever joined the forum.

And, if there's a disproportionately large number of my posts in architecture, that just means we need more testers. Blondbeard and mxvladi have been doing a whole lot of great testing recently. It seems that bdwing has been playing and commenting on holds in Architecture since the beginning. Jacob deserves particular praise as well, for modeling the process of building a good, well-tested hold. His last few award winning holds have all gone through public beta in Architecture. Chaco has been a good model in Architecture as well.

And thank you NiroZ, for almost singlehandedly running the Contests board.
12-08-2008 at 11:25 AM
RRodgers
Jatopian wrote:
NiroZ wrote:
Ok jatopian, I'll ask nicely. Stop it.
Stop what? Pointing out that Chuck Norris is a played-out meme? Saying I'd rather not have smilies in chat? Criticizing our bare-bones PM system? Noting that Firefox does not, in fact, span multiple processes for multiple tabs - because it doesn't? Being misinterpreted by the oversensitive as being insulting when I wasn't actually? Because these are all things you bunch of jerks have modded me down for recently. Which, incidentally, makes you all technically disqualified by RRodgers's guidelines, so congratulations on being unappreciative.

To be honest, Niro, the fact that you would make a request of me, and especially that you'd ask "nicely" with the subtext that this is somehow a favor, makes part of me want to just be nastier and nastier. But I know very well I've moved past "telling it like it is" to being outright nasty already, so I won't.
I do wonder what horrible thing could have turned a person so sour. You call others a "bunch of jerks", and yet the only place I see jerk-like messages, with all due respect, is in your posts. I am sure you don't write things like that because of some sense of duty, unless you were secretly appointed as the Director of the Department of Outright Nastiness, so why do you do it?
12-08-2008 at 11:56 AM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
RRodgers wrote:
I do wonder what horrible thing could have turned a person so sour.
Great idea, let's change the thread title to "passive-aggressive week".
12-08-2008 at 12:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
And here I was, thinking this thread is so gonna fail, but you guys managed to run it like a smooth, well oiled machine. Where is Banjooie, we only need one more for a full set.

12-08-2008 at 12:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Whoa, whoa, whoa, guys. Let's not make this an all out war. I claim not to know much about the forum, but I've seen some pretty nice people here. If they want to enjoy the forums to it's fullest for a week, then I think they should be allowed to do that.

This is just in my opinion. I'm not really criticizing anyone here.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
12-08-2008 at 01:58 PM
Briareos
Maurog wrote:
And here I was, thinking this thread is so gonna fail, but you guys managed to run it like a smooth, well oiled machine. Where is Banjooie, we only need one more for a full set.
It does seem like it turned into "Maurog appreciation week" all on it's own... :)

np: B. Fleischmann - Playtime (Angst Is Not A Weltanschauung!)

12-08-2008 at 02:19 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Okay, I'd like to thank the following people:

CuriousShyRabbit: for being awesome tester and Hold admin; also for helping a lot of people on H&S board.

larrymurk: for being an awesome architect who built more than twenty fairly difficult and fairly enjoyable holds.

zwetschenwasser: for taking the Registar position and continuing the job Tuttle did.

BlondBeard: for being truly awesome tester and optimiser.
12-08-2008 at 02:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chuck Norris
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Jatopian wrote:
Stop what? Pointing out that Chuck Norris is a played-out meme?

I'm not a "played-out" anything. I'll be watching you, Jatopian.

12-08-2008 at 06:36 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Somehow that gag would have been funnier if your account hadn't been registered today...

FAIL.

np: Benni Hemm Hemm - Beethoven Í Brasilíu (Murta St. Calunga)

12-08-2008 at 06:53 PM
RRodgers
Maurog wrote:
Amazing, isn't it?

Znirk wrote:
RRodgers wrote:
I do wonder what horrible thing could have turned a person so sour.
Great idea, let's change the thread title to "passive-aggressive week".
Yeah, I guess I fell into that one. Well, I think that it would help actually having a Department of Jerkish Behaviour, crime is no longer crime if it's legal... (Vetinari-style thinking, I know.) By the way, Mr Nuck Chorris, I can program with my hands tied behind my back! Something we have in common, I believe.

[Last edited by RRodgers at 12-08-2008 07:56 PM]
12-08-2008 at 07:52 PM
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
Hey, Chuck!
:hi
to the forums!
:lol
Thank you to Elfstone and Tuttle. 'Nuf said.

12-08-2008 at 10:02 PM
NiroZ
Ok, I'm moving the Jatopian thread because it doesn't really fit here.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=27779&page=0#270468
12-09-2008 at 01:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Briareos also needs an award for being so damn helpful too. I've lost count of the times he's done me a favor.
12-09-2008 at 01:54 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Personally, I'm quite glad this thread was started. In general, people ought to be appreciating each other more often.

That said, I'm appreciating Erik for creating DROD, Mike for all his programming work, Schik for managing the forum, CSR for her dedication to this community, TFMurphy for all the work he has done on bug-fixing, and Larry, Doom, Jacob, and Chaco for their brilliant holds.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NoahT at 12-09-2008 04:58 AM]
12-09-2008 at 04:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Samuel
Rank Points: 69
I would like to appreciate Sillyman, for being the only person on the forums to be bothered making me a birthday post :)

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
12-09-2008 at 06:15 AM
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
What? I never made anyone a birthday post.

12-09-2008 at 07:03 AM
Samuel
Rank Points: 69
Sorry, i get you and Mr. Slice mixed up all the time.
I would like to thank Mr. Slice for being the only one to bother to make me a birthday post, Erik for creating the concept of DROD (right back to the ten year old Erik beckoning his sister to play his graph sheet version :P) and to Mike Rimer for the exceptianiol graphical work in DRoD.

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon

[Last edited by Samuel at 12-09-2008 08:37 AM]
12-09-2008 at 08:35 AM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
Samuel wrote:
and to Mike Rimer for the exceptianiol graphical work in DRoD.
graphical? He mostly coded it, AFAIK. The grpahics were done by other people. If I remember correctly Erik did some of them.
12-09-2008 at 08:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
I would say Erik probably did the art. Erik's art is splendid, assuming that his avatar and the pictures on his money blog are his artwork. Oh, and the Trinkets, too.

I think that, at the very least, he made Beethro, Danforth, most avatars, some objects (notably the larger ones in TCB, like Huts), and the recently updated items in RPG (Shields, Keys, Potions). Most of the enemies have a different art style, though, so I dunno about those.

So, Erik's the artist. Mike is definitely the main programmer. I think Trick was also involved in the programming (haven't seen him for a loooong time, though). Schick seems to have done most of the work on the website. And I'm not sure what Onei did, but he's a Legendary Smitemaster too, so it must've been big. I'm just ignorant.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 12-10-2008 01:38 AM]
12-10-2008 at 01:32 AM
Briareos
Why not just take a peek at the credits to see who did what? ;)

(Granted, it's missing DROD:RPG, but you can always just complete that one again to see the credits...)

12-10-2008 at 09:07 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Appreciation week
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com