Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : To my fellow pirates
Page 1 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kyevan
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 54
IP: Logged
icon To my fellow pirates (+3)  
Yeah, I admit I pirated DROD. I just deleted all of that and am scrapeing together the money to actually buy the games. (I'll probably get TCB first, since that would give me access to all the user holds... but that's getting off topic.)

Don't pirate DROD. I'm going to admit, I still have some other pirate stuff on my PC, but DROD is different. The prices are sane, there's no crazy loopholes to jump through, you don't need to do online activation or any of that stuff. It's also very much not shovelware. Sims expansions? Feh. I buy them, but I wouldn't hold pirating those against anyone. DROD, on the other hand, is actually finished when they release it.

... So, yeah. Here's the honest truth. I suspect you'll probably ban my account and IP, but whatever. At least my conscience is (mostly) clear, now, and will be even clearer once I get the cash to buy the games properly.
08-12-2008 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
icon Re: To my fellow pirates (0)  
Well said... in the meantime, why not download a legitimate demo and use that to play any user hold you want? The demo engine isn't limited at all, and is in fact open-source.

Edit: Also, you could help Caravel by letting them know (privately of course) where you got it from, so they can issue a copyright claim, which most places accept by removing that specific file.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 08-12-2008 01:35 AM]
08-12-2008 at 01:33 AM
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
Which version are you talking about, by the way? Because if you're talking about DROD AE, then its not actually worth pirating because it is already free.
08-12-2008 at 01:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kyevan
KDD 2.0 and JtRH from one place, TCB from another.

I have AE installed, still ;)
08-12-2008 at 02:05 AM
rman
Rank Points: 371
kyevan wrote:
I pirated TCB, too, but first I tried to buy it. They took money and didn't give TCB!!!

(oh, and I also pirated KDD 2.0 and JtRH from one place, TCB from another!)

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

08-12-2008 at 08:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vittro
Rank Points: 479
rman wrote:
kyevan wrote:
I pirated TCB, too, but first I tried to buy it. They took money and didn't give TCB!!!

They took money and didn't give TCB?! Email Erik, don't pirate the game.

08-12-2008 at 08:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
rman wrote:

Did... you... even try emailing support? And what's your excuse for pirating the other two games?

08-12-2008 at 08:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rman
Rank Points: 371
Jatopian wrote:
Did... you... even try emailing support?

Yes, I did of course.

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

08-12-2008 at 10:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: To my fellow pirates (+1)  
rman wrote:
I hope you at least pillaged and burnt those places to the ground, then...

08-12-2008 at 12:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: To my fellow pirates (+2)  
rman wrote:
kyevan wrote:
I don't see any support requests from the email address in your profile, nor any orders placed with that email address. PM me the email used or the order # from Plimus and I'll get that straightened out for you.
I can't really help you with this, and I'm frankly... amazed?.. that you're so quick to tell us this on the official DROD forums.

08-12-2008 at 01:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
hyphz
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
Umm... gee... I.. *shuffles feet* kinda bought all of the DROD games so far. And I've got.. um.. *blush* budget earmarked for the RPG. :)

08-12-2008 at 06:04 PM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Money is so terribly embarassing isn't it?

I mean, my ex has a copy of DROD right now running on his computer that he didn't pay for. In fact, neither did I! I am a rebel without a cause. Caravelgames received no money for that copy of DROD at all!

...it was an 8-timer prize.

08-12-2008 at 06:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
calamarain wrote:
Money is so terribly embarassing isn't it?
It truly is. It just caused me to ruin me pal Homestar! :lol

np: Spooky - What Are We Waiting For? (Open (Disc 1))

08-12-2008 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
Does buying the game installer on one computer, burning it on a CD(without installing it), taking it home, installing it, and not installing it anywhere else count as pirating?

08-12-2008 at 10:40 PM
Kwerulous
Rank Points: 340
... and I *am* allowed to create a back-up CD with my installers (and saved games) on it, aren't I...?
08-12-2008 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
zwetschenwasser wrote:
Does buying the game installer on one computer, burning it on a CD(without installing it), taking it home, installing it, and not installing it anywhere else count as pirating?
No. The Caravel guideline on that is that as long as the game is only being played on one computer at one time, you're within the license. For example, you can even install it on your home machine, notebook, and work machine, as long as you (or your family) only play on one of those machines at a time. (What your boss will say to that, though, is your problem.)

++Adam H. Peterson
08-12-2008 at 11:43 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
Ah, money doesn't grow on trees, especially when you're young. However, it's not impossible to come by. Even our youngest forum members can earn enough money to buy their very own copies of DROD.

When I was a young Rabbit (age 10-14), here is how I got money:
* My father gave me a weekly allowance. (It was 50 cents per week, which later increased to 1 dollar per week.)
* One neighbor had a bad back and paid me to vacuum her house every week. (She gave me 2 dollars per week.)
* Starting at age 12, I babysat another neighbors' younger kids. Every once in a while, she paid me to paint my face like a clown and entertain younger kids at birthday parties. (She gave me a couple dollars every time I did this.)
* Other things I could have done, but didn't: walk dogs, yard work, wash cars.
Back then, I could have earned my own copy of DROD in a couple of months. ...Except that was the 1970's and they didn't have DROD back then, or PCs. I was saving for a bicycle.

At age 14, I got my first "real" job. I put away books at the public library for 10 hours per week. I was so proud of that job, because it came with a fancy paycheck and it paid minimum wage (~$3.60/hour?) which was a big step up for me. Then I could have earned my own copy of DROD in a couple of weeks. Except they still didn't have DROD, and my father said I should save the money for college. But my mother said I should spend it on something I wanted, so I finally got the bicycle.
08-13-2008 at 12:10 AM
Briareos
AlefBet wrote:
as long as you (or your family) only play on one of those machines at a time.
Well, if someone managed to play the game on two computers right next to each other in parallel (and good at that) I guess I wouldn't exactly hold it against them... ;)

08-13-2008 at 12:32 AM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
A similar thing happened to me. My parents gave me a small bit of pocket money (1) each week as a child. As a teenager, I had a Saturday job at a local hardware store, which paid little, but I was able to save it up over time and buy the things I wanted.

08-13-2008 at 12:41 AM
kyevan
Don't forget about good ol' Danforth Strout! He reached Double Amethyst Distributor when he was 12! :lol
08-13-2008 at 03:03 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Well... I think kyevan's admittance is perfect and I admire his/her honesty. Loopholes are easy, and cracked software always available.

I'm just glad we have another drodder amongst our players...
08-13-2008 at 03:44 AM
eb0ny
Rank Points: 484
Over at my end I earn money by "helping" economy students on their compSci assignments. Currently making my way to an 8-timer prize.

And I pirated JtRH, sorry.

08-13-2008 at 12:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
I gave the full DROD to some friends.
But not on the internet.

08-13-2008 at 01:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
I get a fair amount of pocket money each month, 20 euros to be precise. With the low dollar rate, I can buy a DROD game for just 12-14 euros, so I can practically buy one each month.

I must admit I pirated JtRH, but I picked it as my *payment* for the TCB trailer later, because I felt guilty, and I thought Mike and Erik really deserved my support, which I didn't when I first discovered DROD. I feel very sorry about this now, and I apologize to Mike and Erik. :(
08-13-2008 at 02:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I hope that all of you admitting to piracy are also taking the step of telling mrimer where you pirated from. I know it might not make a big dent in the piracy pool, but it could make a dent against pirating Caravel.

Also, I hope you are taking kyevan's steps of purchasing/slimm tom's earning the game. I don't know if it atones for the crimes of the past, but it certainly eliminates the crimes of the future.

08-13-2008 at 03:22 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
zex20913 wrote:
I hope that all of you admitting to piracy are also taking the step of telling mrimer where you pirated from. I know it might not make a big dent in the piracy pool, but it could make a dent against pirating Caravel.

Also, I hope you are taking kyevan's steps of purchasing/slimm tom's earning the game. I don't know if it atones for the crimes of the past, but it certainly eliminates the crimes of the future.

Wise words. I got the game from a particular p2p program which I will not name here, and that's hard to track down and delete, as the file is located on the computer of someone else (no, not that someone else), and not on a server of some sorts.
08-13-2008 at 03:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
aztcg7
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
I started playing DROD by playing AE, as per the highly recommended information from the-underdogs.info (it wasn't that domain at the time.) After playing through the entire game with AE, I found out that JTRH was out, along with KDDv2. Being 16 at the time, I found installers for both from eMule. I installed and played all the way through on both, although I didn't download any user created holds. Once TCB came out, I bought not only TCB, but also KDD as an SmS, 4 other downloadable SmS, 4 SmS CDs, and later bought JTRH as soon as it could be played in the TCB engine. I've also bought a year of CaravelNet. At my count, that's something like, $130 worth of product, that I wouldn't have bought had I not pirated KDDv2 and JTRH back when I was 16.

Personally, I think that Caravel came out ahead, at least in my case.

08-13-2008 at 07:26 PM
13th Slayer
Rank Points: 27
rman wrote:

aw, geez. And all of it is my fault...
I still hope you will reconsider and buy a game someday...

[Last edited by 13th Slayer at 08-13-2008 09:19 PM]
08-13-2008 at 09:10 PM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
13th Slayer wrote:
rman wrote:

aw, geez. And all of it is my fault...
I still hope you will reconsider and buy a game someday...

Why your fault? Did you tell rman where to download pirated DROD by any chance?

08-13-2008 at 10:21 PM
vittro
A simple "DROD Torrent" google reveals 2000 sites with drod.

08-13-2008 at 11:16 PM
Page 1 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : To my fellow pirates
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com