Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : An Eye View (Being something different...)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

5.0/10 (27 votes)
σ 1.88
Author Name:The Architest
Submitted By:The Architest
Hold Name:An Eye View
Theme:Being something different...
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:4
Number of Rooms:14
Number of Monsters:96
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+1 / -1)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: An Eye View.hold (13.5 KB)
Downloaded 1081 times.
License: Other
icon An Eye View  
"You can complete every single room at this hold!"

"Update : Added more checkpoints"
Thanks to mxvladi and vittro for testing!
07-30-2008 at 04:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: An Eye View (0)  
Here are some medium-difficulty Player Role Evil Eye puzzles. Many involve manipulation of other monsters and objects, particularly snakes. Attractive level design, not bad puzzles, but plenty of room for improvement. There is a general lack of checkpoints in this hold, and one room has a character which looks like a required target, but isn't.
07-30-2008 at 04:37 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: An Eye View (+2)  
admin wrote:
You can complete every single room at this hold!
Not having looked at this hold yet, I just want to say that this is the least exciting ad line ever, edging out "McDonald's: now everything on the menu is edible!"
07-30-2008 at 05:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Gotta agree with Tahnan there.
admin wrote:
If you dont get the cutscene,then dont get it!
:huh

07-30-2008 at 05:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
icon Re: An Eye View (+1)  
Tahnan wrote:
admin wrote:
You can complete every single room at this hold!
Not having looked at this hold yet, I just want to say that this is the least exciting ad line ever, edging out "McDonald's: now everything on the menu is edible!"
Well, maybe he is trying to say that there are no 'extra' rooms thrown in that don't have puzzles.
I don't mean to sound rude, but it seems that you like to criticize as many people as you can.

[Last edited by rowrow at 07-30-2008 05:50 AM]
07-30-2008 at 05:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
Well, there are some rooms without puzzles...

Next time, maybe The Architest will write something like this, "Thanks to mxvladi and vittro for testing this hold." It's always nice to acknowledge your testers. :)
07-30-2008 at 06:20 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
rowrow wrote:
I don't mean to sound rude, but it seems that you like to criticize as many people as you can.
Only when it's justified. And hey, in this case, I glossed over the two sentences that didn't especially make sense.

Having finished the hold, I have to say it's a shame--there were a few good rooms, but also a whole lot of irritating ones (why, why, why was there a wandering aumtlich character?), and some atrociously bad writing. I'd really encourage Architest to focus on improving the holds he makes, rather than rushing them to the Holds board.
07-30-2008 at 07:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
I said Architest to put checkpoints in "Architecture". He didn't do that. It's quite bad.

Also, as I see, Achitest did nothing I said. Didn't do any new puzzles. Didn't change anything since first version!

But, anyway, I like this hold. This is the best of Architest's holds. My favourite puzzles were:

Aboveground ruins 1E

Swamp 1E(although wubba is unrequired, so I let adder eat wubba while solving the room ;) )

Swamp secret room(psst! Coordinates are in secret!)

Rosy happyland 1N

Keep doing holds like this, Architest!

3 brains and 7 fun!

[Last edited by mxvladi at 08-19-2008 12:14 PM]
07-30-2008 at 10:38 AM
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
Im sorry..im sorry...IM SORRY!

I have readed comments,but I havent got time to edit the Hold! :-O

Sorry!

PS : An Evil Eye II is coming...maybe!

[Last edited by The Architest at 07-30-2008 05:58 PM]
07-30-2008 at 05:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
icon Re: An Eye View (+2)  
The Architest wrote:

I havent got time to edit the Hold! :-O

Wednesday Thursday Friday.

07-30-2008 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
The Architest wrote:

You know, there's this simple solution that's called "do not release it until after it's done"...

It's not as if you had a deadline, unless I'm missing something...

np: Rick Wright - Runaway (Leggit Dub) (Auntie Aubrey's Excursions Beyond The Call Of Duty Part 2 (Disc 1))

07-30-2008 at 06:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
zex20913 wrote:
The Architest wrote:

I havent got time to edit the Hold! :-O

Wednesday Thursday Friday.

He must have had a contract with schick to make as many holds as he can.

07-30-2008 at 06:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
fratropea
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
I have had a good time a lot playing as an eye!
Really pleasant Hold. Good!!! :thumbsup

I give 4 brains,10 fun and 1 hold karma! ;)

[Last edited by fratropea at 07-30-2008 07:46 PM]
07-30-2008 at 07:43 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Briareos wrote:
The Architest wrote:

You know, there's this simple solution that's called "do not release it until after it's done"...

It's not as if you had a deadline, unless I'm missing something...

np: Rick Wright - Runaway (Leggit Dub) (Auntie Aubrey's Excursions Beyond The Call Of Duty Part 2 (Disc 1))
Hey, you should try the hold before saying something like that. I have no idea what the Architest meant in his previous post... but this hold isn't bad (IMO). It isn't perfect, and somethings could have been better, but it has got a lot of good stuff in it too, and I don't get the feeling it was rushed, even though it could have been kept on Architecture a bit longer.

07-30-2008 at 08:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
I found many of the puzzles enjoyable: not terribly difficult, but fun for the most part. I'm a fan of compact quick rooms. And though I agree with Tahnan that the writing is atrocious, it's actually so awful that's it's funny. But yes, some checkpoints would have been appreciated.
07-31-2008 at 03:17 AM
Danteslives
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 48
The cutscene made my day. It made me laugh a lot just because it was so nonsensical... unless I didn't get it... Good hold!
08-31-2008 at 12:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
The Architest
I must get better rank : The Dumb Architech

I thinked that cutscene would be so dumb,so It could make someone laugh ;)

If you enjoy something,someone like it :D
08-31-2008 at 12:39 PM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Please stop calling yourself dumb. Just the fact that you're doing DROD at all proves that you're not. :)

09-01-2008 at 08:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
It's possible that the best part of this hold is the character picture, which is very cool.

As a whole, the hold isn't bad, but there's not a lot to it. I kind of wish there had been some puzzles that really made me feel like it mattered that I was playing an Evil Eye, instead of just a random character who can kill with his body.

Oh, and Swamp: 1W really annoyed me -- if there's a thing in a room that looks like an aumtlich, it ought to *be* an aumtlich. I didn't realize that I didn't have to kill it until I managed to beat the room and then wondered why everyone else's demos were about 1/3 as long as mine.

BUT...there were some nice puzzles here. Swamp 1N1W was pretty cool, and Aboveground Ruins: 1E was nice.

Overall, I give this hold about 6 for fun and 3 brains of difficulty. Nothing too difficult here, no major problems, but not as polished or interesting as it could have been.

Josh

10-30-2009 at 02:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
I don't have any starting comments, aside from the nice evil eye graphics Vittro (correct me if I'm wrong) made, so I'll just start with my comments.

Aboveground Ruins: Entrance I liked this room. It had a nice trick. The hold looks nice so far.
Aboveground Ruins: Once South For players who haven't mastered the hold yet, this room is useless.
Aboveground Ruins: Once West Complete lack of checkpoints, which made this room annoying. Other than that, though, it was a good room. Reminded me of Tardustrial Park. Hmm, maybe I should play that next...
Aboveground Ruins: Once East Nice room. The puzzle wasn't too hard to crack.
Aboveground Ruins: Once North Nothing to comment on here.
Swamp: Entrance Spiky plants. The wrong tense is used in the level description, but it doesn't matter.
Swamp: Once East I didn't know how the architect intended for the player to destroy the serpent, so I just led it into the trap for the adder.
Swamp: Once North Once West: Lack of checkpoints. Necessary to conquer despite being a secret room. Still, good room concept and good execution. It took a bit of smarts to best the puzzle.
Swamp: Once West: Heh. Turns out the aumtlich wasn't an actual monster, just a character that wasn't required to conquer the room. With the correct placement of mirrors, this room is easily conquered from the east.
Swamp: Once North: Nice lights and plants.
Rosy Happyland: Entrance: The power token was a red herring.
Rosy Happyland: Once North: I'll admit it, this room took me a while. But I eventually conquered it. Hooray hooray. Hardest room so far.
Rosy Happyland: Once West: That was fun. Snakes really do have almost-unpredictable movement patterns, which make them supremely annoying.
Fegundo Flips: The Entrance: I don't understand how this room fit in with the rest of the hold, if at all. I think the player role for that level was supposed to be Beethro, not the evil eye.

I thought this was a good hold. Nice looking. Unusual story. Good puzzles. In the end, it just boils down to the puzzles. In the end, this hold boils down to something that has earned some of my appreciation. Hope you make some more holds, Architest.

5 fun
3 brains
57/100 approval rating

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 06-13-2010 02:08 AM]
06-13-2010 at 02:04 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Just finished this - it was fun playing as an eye (not sure I've experienced that before).

Some decent puzzles, but not that hard so a nice break from other tougher holds. As mentioned above though, checkpoints are seriously lacking.
08-27-2010 at 09:41 PM
OneMoreNameless
Rank Points: 131
This was ... not so great. The text was more or less nonsensical, the room layouts were ugly, there were deceptive scripted characters, and the puzzles were casually enjoyable WHICH IS AT LEAST A THING but I'm assuming there are much better holds than this for it.

The not-particularly secret room was good times, though, and much cleverer than the other rooms.
08-31-2010 at 06:51 AM
Mindjask
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
I just love holds with these monsters in it. Great job.

10-14-2010 at 07:29 PM
vinheim
Rank Points: 300
This was a very enjoyable hold, despite spelling mistakes and lack of checkpoints. To be honest though, checkpoints weren't necessary anyways as none of the rooms are too much trouble if you look cautiously around for the best moves.

Aboveground Ruins: Not counting the cutscene level, this was my favourite level so far. This was my first hold using a player role that can kill by stepping so the rooms here were challenging, but also a great learning experience :D
The Entrance: Hardest room for me, I was stuck here for ages dying in new and different ways. I didn't realize the trick until I realized there is more than one thing that can trigger a plate.
Once West: Maybe it's just my luck, but I did this on the first go. I just made sure the adders were between me and the gel babies as snakes are easier to move around.
Once East: Got this on my second go. At first I didn't realize the other eyes were your clones. This room to me was a typical clone puzzle where you use one to lure enemies away from another one.

Swamp: Had some interesting rooms, but wasn't as fun as Aboveground Ruins.
Once North, Once West: This was a great room in manipulating stalwarts around the place. Took me a couple tries cause I didn't use them at first, I was just using the eye, but when you start using the stalwarts, you'll realize they're great for killing as well as bait.
Once West: Forgot about how mirrors stop fuses burning so this room took me a few tries at first, but when you realize the thing with the mirrors, it's easy. I didn't know about the aumtlich not being required, but I killed it anyway.
Once East: Easy-to-figure-out room. Trap or burn serpent, use adder to eat mud, burn him too, end room. This room could have been replaced with another interesting puzzle.

Rosy Happyland: The least interesting level in this hold.
Once West: Again, an easy-to-figure-out room. Had some manipulation of snakes, but AG: 1W was better. I reckon you shoulda swapped the 2 rooms.
Once North: This was also a simple room. Waiting on the door while the adder's head was burning made it easy.

Fegundo Flips: I found this room really hilarious cause I had no idea what the heck was going on. Soon as the cutscene started, the speech and the flying fegundos just made it all funny. A great end to an interesting hold!

All in all, I found this hold unique with its puzzles, though it would have been better if the levels were switched around and more rooms were added. You've got the potential to be a great architect if you listen to people's advice on the Architecture board. :thumbsup
10-18-2010 at 07:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
I agree, this is probably the best of your holds. It was an interesting idea and I found the puzzles quite workable, even if I'm not a big fan of adders. Nicely done and it wasn't too hard. The most frustrating room was probably the one with the stalwarts and water skippers. Those stalwarts are a bit thick-headed.

The puzzles weren't hard but generally interesting.

03-05-2012 at 06:59 PM
The Architest
Oh, it's been already 4 years since my last hold? Thanks for criticism, everyone! If you're up to have a interesting storyline and challenging puzzles, I'll be returning to the hold scenes soon after release of GatEB.
I have no idea when it will be released, but I would be glad to use new elements in my WIP hold. :)

PS: I had that one hold in the Architecture for a while but I cancelled it; just to start anew.
03-15-2012 at 03:15 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : An Eye View (Being something different...) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com