Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Devilishly Dangerous Dungeons of Doom (Summer 2008 Smitemasters' Selection)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.4/10 (34 votes)
σ 1.13
Author Name:Roger
Submitted By:calamarain
Hold Name:Devilishly Dangerous Dungeons of Doom
Theme:Summer 2008 Smitemasters' Selection
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:6
Number of Rooms:52
Number of Monsters:810
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:7 (+7 / -0)
Poster Message
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
IP: Logged
icon Re: Devilishly Dangerous Dungeons of Doom (+1)  
Try quitting DROD, and opening it again, which will cause DROD to update the list of holds in your change location screen. Part of this update includes determining which holds are on CaravelNet and which aren't.

EDIT: Most of this post was deleted as it was on the wrong track

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 09-05-2008 01:45 AM]
09-04-2008 at 06:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
EDIT: Alternatively (and again assuming quitting and restarting DROD does not fix the problem), if mrimer would like to post the CD version of DDDD on the HA board where I can get it, I can test it myself to see what the problem is.
Well, I just compared the version of the hold on my CD to a version I just downloaded from my profile page and they're bit-for-bit identical, so I don't think the hold file itself is the problem...

np: The Tuss - Shiz Ko E (Rushup Edge)

09-04-2008 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Devilishly Dangerous Dungeons of Doom (0)  
Thanks Briareos! If the current download and the CD version are the same, I can play with the download version.

Now that I'm done with work, I tried exporting my player, deleting DDDD, quitting and restarting DROD, redownloading DDDD in game, and re-importing my player. DDDD is still properly connected to CaravelNet. That means the problem is entirely on Kwerulous' end. See my post above. :)
09-05-2008 at 01:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwerulous
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 340
Thanks CSR and Briareos, I tried that. Nope, it's still marked as unpublished on caravelnet. The Hold name itself is in purple though, which I think is the Official Hold colour, if that's any help.
09-05-2008 at 07:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
Just received my CD in the mail. :) The CD case was cracked though, but I got some empty ones right here so I can put it in one of those. I must say the DROD RPG Art on the cover is great, congrats on that. I really like the bonus material also. Thumbs up for Roger and the Caravel Team! :thumbsup
09-06-2008 at 05:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
I'm quite close to conquer this hold! I'm now at Great Grating Gate Gradient, and I must say I was impressed by tricks calamarain offered in previous levels. Those tricks fit TCB style(in my opinion) and are quite tough. I really enjoyed Wide Wet Wintery Waters 2S 1W, Mad Mad Mad Mineral Museum 2N 1W and Completely Cramped Cave Complex 1S.

The eastern part of level where I'm now(GGGG) seems to be a little... easier than the rest(by the way, people who have c-net membership may see in my highscores of this hold that I've already completed eastern part of GGGG). Those wubba-horde tricks are still fun, but I actually expected something harder...

Western part of GGGG seems to be harder.

So far it's 6 brains for me and 8 for fun.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 03-16-2009 08:14 PM]
02-03-2009 at 05:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
Really? I had more difficulty with GGGG than any other level except WWW. MMM was anticlimactically easy, though.

02-03-2009 at 05:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: Devilishly Dangerous Dungeons of Doom (+2)  
Aand conquered!

Have to say, the last level was pretty interesting, but... um... it looked like architect ran out of the most inventive ideas.

1N was the best room there. 1N 1W and 2N 1E - one of the best.

2N... um... was quite simple.

Overall, a great hold. And now I'm going to optimise this better than I did.
02-08-2009 at 10:31 PM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
I can't believe I never commented on this hold. I did rate it (overall: 9, difficulty: 6) but neglected to write up my impressions. So here they are now:

As you can tell from my rating, I really enjoyed this hold. I liked the design, the story, the layout, the puzzles, even the level names. What really alerted me to how much I enjoyed DDDD was that, more often than not, a room (or entire level: GGGG) that was making me crazy would end up being either a favourite or at least a fond memory. And optimising was a pleasure, instead of a chore. Although most of the rooms are probably only 4-5 in difficulty, I found enough to be higher than 6 (for me) to bump up my difficulty rating.
03-11-2009 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
Well done, calamarain. But i really expected more from you. Howewer, don't worry, i appreciate the hold. A lot of the puzzles were too easy and based on ideas i saw before, but they were funny.

I'll give you 10 for Grapichs, Language, ideas and names of the levels here. Really Good.
A 5- brains and 7 fun. For a total of... 7.

:thumbsup

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
04-21-2009 at 04:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Post-Mastered!

Very enjoyable, innovative hold. I liked how areas had a distinct theme to them and how almost all text and dialogue were formed with words starting with the same letter.

Quality stuff in here, I advise everyone to check it out!

9 for fun, 6 for brains.
04-25-2009 at 11:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Glad you liked it. And there is a good explanation for the wordplay - see earlier in the thread.

04-25-2009 at 12:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Everyone, please continue this discussion in private, and keep the thread clean for hold comments. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to delete the off-topic posts. Anyone wants to keep them here?

EDIT: All off-topic posts and posts related to the original modpoints discussion are deleted. Please refrain from starting such discussions in public in the future, and hold them in private. Thanks.

[Last edited by slimm tom at 04-26-2009 01:06 PM]
04-26-2009 at 12:03 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Devilishly Dangerous Dungeons of Doom (+2)  
OK, I was a beta-tester, but I came back and played through and post-mastered this hold anyway. (I did sneak a peek at some demos in a few places, but they were all my old demos, so it doesn't really count as cheating, does it?)

I am generally a fan of Calamarain's holds, and this one is no exception. I don't think it's quite as awesome as Below Witherwood, but there are some truly great puzzles in here. Not too hard -- probably one of the easier SMSs, but nothing wrong with that.

I give this hold an 8 for fun, and 6 brains of difficulty.

Josh

09-21-2009 at 03:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Devilishly Dangerous Dungeons of Doom (Summer 2008 Smitemasters' Selection)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com