Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : The General
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
IP: Logged
icon The General (0)  
The general is a unit that has wraithwing movement. Except it's a little less cowardly, it will stay two tiles away from you. It has a sword, that counts as one tile. It has a shield on both arms. The shields work by allowing you to move onto the square that it is on, but you can't kill from that position. This makes the 'slide along the sword' tactic to kill not work.
If you try to kill the general like that, your sword will stay on him, but there will be a 'sword clashing together' sound.

[Last edited by Mr. Slice at 01-04-2008 07:27 AM]
01-04-2008 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: The General (0)  
So wait, wraithwing movement or guard movement?

01-04-2008 at 01:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Wraithwing movement.

01-04-2008 at 01:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
So I don't see how the "slidealong" tactic would really be relevant, since that won't be possible with wraithwing movement in normal circumstances anyway.

Also, wraithwing movement won't be good for a monster with a sword because it won't know when to turn the sword and when to move.

Beyond the issues on how to define the movement, I don't really see the purpose of this suggestion - can you think of any puzzles in which this would be useful? Basically, it seems that if it's intelligent about using his sword, you'll always need to use a bomb or mimic or fegundo or other indirect method of killing to kill it. And we already have slayers for that.

01-04-2008 at 01:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
There aren't many puzzles exactly based on this idea, it's more of a slayer puzzle idea. You'd have to run around while the general chased you, but we already have the slayer for that...

You can run the general up against the wall, then he would, uh...do something cool that showed that you shouldn't mess with generals.

01-04-2008 at 01:19 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: The General (-1)  
While I feel I should inherently disagree with this because Mr. Slice said it, I like the idea of a sworded enemy who's extremely cowardly about it.
01-04-2008 at 06:48 AM
Mr. Slice
Uh... just because I said it doesn't mean that you should disagree with me. If someone else posted here, would you have agreed with them?

01-04-2008 at 07:26 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: The General (+1)  
Mr. Slice wrote:
Uh... just because I said it doesn't mean that you should disagree with me. If someone else posted here, would you have agreed with them?
He *is* agreeing with you.
01-04-2008 at 09:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Banjooie wrote:
While I feel I should inherently disagree with this because Mr. Slice said it,
I don't know what inherently means, but it looks like it breaks down into that he should disagree with me because I said it. Now, with what you are saying, I no longer believe that.

Let's get into business, shall we? (Topic post business, not any other kind)

01-04-2008 at 05:11 PM
zonhin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 99
Banjooie wrote:
While I feel I should inherently disagree with this because Mr. Slice said it, I like the idea of a sworded enemy who's extremely cowardly about it.
I think the main problem with this is the details of the whole thing. The base idea isn't bad, but it falls apart when he got to the mechanics. Also Slice, I have a secret: you don't have to reply to every post in your thread be patient. If you don't understand what someone is saying, wait a bit before asking. People respect your opinion but we don't want to hear it other post tia.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
01-04-2008 at 07:03 PM
Syntax
Mr. Slice, I'll transalate Banjooie's statement:

Mr. Slice: I have this idea.
Banjooie: Despite the fact and upon realising it was you who was posting, and that it was your idea, I actually like it.

Very few people have ever been allowed so much leniency.

I'd take it as a compliment :)
01-04-2008 at 09:18 PM
Mr. Slice
Thanks Syntax! I modded you up because now I understand what transpired here.

Just to keep us on the FR (Feature Request) side, the General will act and move like a wraithwing, except for the fact that it guards itself, until you run it into a wall, then it acts like a cowardly guard, (Or the 'Neither) like it attacks sometimes.

01-04-2008 at 09:36 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
zonhin wrote:
People respect your opinion but we don't want to hear it other post tia.

What

the man is allowed to post his replies in threads, regardless of what you think of them

And while, no, I don't like the exact mechanics he's laid out, the idea of a man with a sword trying very hard to stay away from you is frickin awesome, and can be worked with to produce something worthwhile.

Things that can only be stabbed from behind are a little hard to work, but hey, you know, it's a mechanic we should at least explore for immobile objects.

01-04-2008 at 09:41 PM
Mr. Slice
Erm, I was think about removing the shields, since it's right, you can't do the 'slide along the sword' trick with slight wraithwing movement, It's stupid to have something that will probably never come into play.

01-04-2008 at 09:46 PM
zonhin
zonhin wrote:
I think the main problem with this is the details of the whole thing. The base idea isn't bad, but it falls apart when he got to the mechanics. Also Slice, I have a secret: you don't have to reply to every post in your thread be patient. If you don't understand what someone is saying, wait a bit before asking. People respect your opinion but we don't want to hear it other post tia.
Looking back on this post, I have no idea what I was trying to say.

01-05-2008 at 12:49 AM
Mr. Slice
I have a prophecy.
This prophecy is that the thread will turn into a thread where the rules of conduct come into play.
Please try not to do that, I fear making peoples' lives miserable by doing these kinds of threads.
So please, try to make sure that we stick to the main topic when I give it to you. A little wayside about how to disagree and agree is fine, just try not to hurt anyone with it.
Click here to view the secret text

01-05-2008 at 12:53 AM
zonhin
Mr. Slice wrote:
I have a prophecy.
This prophecy is that the thread will turn into a thread where the rules of conduct come into play.
Please try not to do that, I fear making peoples' lives miserable by doing these kinds of threads.
So please, try to make sure that we stick to the main topic when I give it to you. A little wayside about how to disagree and agree is fine, just try not to hurt anyone with it.
I don't quite understand what you're saying here... no sarcasm or anything like that.

01-05-2008 at 12:58 AM
Mr. Slice
In this thread, scroll down a bit and, in fact, you wrote: How come every last thread Slice posts in becomes an awkward series of apologies and "that's okay"s? Since that incident, I had a prophecy here about that in this thread. Since I don't like that, I'm trying to tell you to avoid this. I hope you get the message.

01-05-2008 at 01:11 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Shut up, Snacko. We've been through this already in threads where it was on-topic.

01-05-2008 at 02:59 AM
Mr. Slice
What?

[Last edited by Mr. Slice at 01-05-2008 03:05 AM]
01-05-2008 at 03:05 AM
Syntax
Generals are cool.
01-05-2008 at 05:36 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
In general.

01-05-2008 at 05:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
As well as Feature requests.
01-05-2008 at 07:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Mr. Slice wrote:
What?

He's on second. ;)

-Noah

My stuff:

01-06-2008 at 12:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : The General
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com