Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : A Slayers Weakness (Slay the Slayers.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.8/10 (16 votes)
σ 2.63
Author Name:Rasmus Björling
Submitted By:Rheb
Hold Name:A Slayers Weakness
Theme:Slay the Slayers.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:6
Number of Monsters:118
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.1)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: A Slayers Weakness.hold (10.6 KB)
Downloaded 1348 times.
License: Other
icon A Slayers Weakness  
Do you know of the ancient secrets of Slayer Slaying? Do you know of the Slayers many weaknesses?

This is a small, but definitely not easy, Slayer Slaying hold. There are no monsters in the hold, only 26 Slayers to Slay.
Warning: I think this is the sort of hold you are just going to hate after playing a while. It's a very evil hold in some parts. And I take no responsibility for crushed keyboards and massive amount of multiply hint threads...
Nah, it's not that bad, but if you already hate the Slayers, I'd recommend you to stay away from this hold. (Or maybe some Slayer Slaying is just what you need, I don't know :P)

Well, there might be a sequel to this hold one day... but I don't have anything planed.

Thanks to the testers of the hold: Stephen4Louise, TFMurphy and jbluestein. Also thanks to hartleyhair for finding one of the ways to kill Slayers used in this hold.
10-21-2007 at 01:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: A Slayers Weakness (+1)  
This one is fun. Certainly my favorite 'kill a slayer' hold, because it's all about the slayers...and it teaches you things you didn't know. (Well, it taught me...)

It's also reasonably difficult.

I give it a 7 for fun and 7 brains.

Josh

10-21-2007 at 01:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
Being 39th Slayer in disguise, I want this Hold to be incinerated immediately. Not only is it an excellent resource for finding methods of Slayer Slaying, it is also ridiculously fun to play and an altogether superb effort by Rheb.

Seriously, though: great Hold. I hope you do make a sequel. 9 with 6.5 brains.

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 10-23-2007 05:37 PM]
10-21-2007 at 02:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: A Slayers Weakness (0)  
VIPCOOL wrote:
Great hold :D

Only solved the first room so far but it's very fun.

7 fun, 6.5 brains

I’m just wondering, what made you lower your vote Vip? :)

[Last edited by Rheb at 11-10-2007 10:40 PM]
10-23-2007 at 05:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
How about you vote once you've completed it, or at least played as much of it as you're likely to do for a while?

That way your vote can take all the rooms into account, as well as your general feelings toward the hold as opposed to individual rooms...
10-23-2007 at 05:10 PM
iamyum
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
That was immense satisfaction to clear all of the rooms, including the secret one. After this hold, a slayer has degraded to a normal monster that is way less annoying than before. Great hold on teaching slayer slaying techniques!
10-27-2007 at 07:32 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911

File: SlayerKillsMe.JPG (44.1 KB)
Downloaded 1530 times.
License: Public Domain
The instructor said that if the slayer was next to beethro, his first preference was to try to move into beethro even if he couldn't. So why is mr. slayer hitting me with his hook in this configuration?

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by larrymurk at 11-02-2007 09:44 PM]
11-02-2007 at 09:42 PM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
larrymurk wrote:
The instructor said that if the slayer was next to beethro, his first preference was to try to move into beethro even if he couldn't. So why is mr. slayer hitting me with his hook in this configuration?
Iirc, his first preference is always to kill you with his hook. And only if he can't do this will he move onto you.

11-02-2007 at 09:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
On the move where i step here, the slayer has his hook SE. Even though he is next to me and can not hit me w/ his hook, he still swings it to create the pictured situation.
11-02-2007 at 09:49 PM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: A Slayers Weakness (+4)  
It's not quite accurate.

The real reason, unfortunately, is very VERY complicated.

Anyways, basically, the very first thing a Slayer does is try to see if it can kill you with its hook. If it *can't*, then it sees if it can kill you with its body. If it still can't, then it goes ahead with normal movements. In the case you're seeing, the Slayer can do neither of these things, so it's on to normal movement.

Because you're so close to the Slayer, the Slayer is trying to do what's called a Defensive Move. This is a very complicated score process where the Slayer tests every possible move and ranks them as to how good he thinks they are.

As it stands, in the example room in the Entrance, the Slayer has the best score moving S, SE or E, with a 2nd best score moving SW or NE, and a 3rd best just staying where he is. However, because the Stalwart's sword and the Slayer's hook are pointing in opposite directions, the Slayer does not feel the need to retreat, and will *specifically* ignore any move that does so. So SW, S, SE, E and NE are out because they take him farther from his opponent. That leaves waiting. So he picks this as his best move.

In *your* position, however, because of the relative positions of his hook and your body and the like, turning his sword clockwise has a better score than waiting. He'd actually *prefer* to move S, but the arrow prevents that. In any case, you'll have to search for a different position, because that one won't work too well.

I wish I could explain it better, but the scoring system makes it very complicated to put it in an easy "Slayer does this because you did that" terms, other than just noting certain positions that work and ones that don't.
11-02-2007 at 11:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
larrymurk wrote:

Click here to view the secret text

Um, aren't you both standing on north arrows?
11-03-2007 at 03:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Wow, I really didn't like this hold at all. Finding the weaknesses in the Slayer's algorithm is an interesting idea in theory, but was too fiddly and tedious in practice.
11-05-2007 at 06:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Rabscuttle wrote:
Wow, I really didn't like this hold at all. Finding the weaknesses in the Slayer's algorithm is an interesting idea in theory, but was too fiddly and tedious in practice.

Well, yeah, I know...
This hold is about trying different tactics to slay Slayers, and get the Slayers in the positions you want them, of course it's trial and error, (but personally I think just testing new ways to do things can be quite fun some times)...? When I submitted the hold I knew some people would like it and I knew some people would just hate it. You don't have to play through the hold you know :P.

I can't really see what's that horrible though, if you understood all that was explained in the first room, the only thing you actually have to do, in most parts of the hold, is to get the Slayers in a position where you can kill them. (Yeah, I know parts of the first room isn't completely correct... but I think it's good enough to provide the help you need in this hold.)

What part of the Slayer slaying is it you think is too fiddly and tedious?

11-06-2007 at 08:00 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Mastered.

I enjoyed slaying slayers a lot. Secret room was particulary interesting.

Overall, 9 for fun and 6 for brains.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 03-14-2010 08:53 PM]
04-18-2008 at 11:25 AM
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
Too bad I discovered this hold only now, it's amazing! Even if some battles are frustating I really liked finding a way to "destroy" the algorithm and kill the slayers; I learned new ways to kill the slayer and even if I didn't cleared the secret room to me it's 7.5 brain and 8.5 fun.
I wonder if there are other ways to kill the slayer :)

09-27-2012 at 03:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : A Slayers Weakness (Slay the Slayers.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com