Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Death Lock
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
IP: Logged
icon Death Lock (+1)  
Hey, I'm back... In case you're wondering why I missed the community for 8 days, that was because of my internet connection. Problems...

Since DROD is a puzzle game, I think there should be a "Death Lock", like a room lock, that works like this :

When the player is making a move that makes him die, the move will be automatically un-doed instatanely, and a message will appear like this : That move makes you die.

09-11-2007 at 10:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Death Lock (+1)  
Um...isn't it already obvious when a move makes you die? I think this is high on the "very useless request" scale.

09-11-2007 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: Death Lock (0)  
I agree with zex. And besides - you're given almost 5 full seconds to hit undo after dying, which is more than enough time.

09-11-2007 at 11:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1913
If the option were there I'd use it. :P
09-11-2007 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Sorry if I explained it the wrong way, basically, DROD WON'T LET YOU MAKE THE MOVE, so your move count won't grow, you won't use an undo and you will be able to undo... DROD's objective is not dying, is solving the puzzles, so, dying isn't necessary.

09-12-2007 at 12:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Giant-Nator22
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 2
Hmm, good idea. But what if you do try to make the move? Will it say whatever it says? Will it make you bump, thus making that move is now vunerable? Or will it do nothing?

09-12-2007 at 12:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
Giant-Nator22 wrote:
Hmm, good idea. But what if you do try to make the move? Will it say whatever it says? Will it make you bump, thus making that move is now vunerable? Or will it do nothing?
Have you tried room lock? (I think default is shift, but I changed it to spacebar . . . for reasons I do not understand)

This suggestion is based off of room lock, and will probably work like it. No turn is wasted. You do not bump an obstacle. You just stand in place, and enemies do not move. All that happens is something coming up saying that you can't do that move.
vittro wrote:
Sorry if I explained it the wrong way, basically, DROD WON'T LET YOU MAKE THE MOVE, so your move count won't grow, you won't use an undo and you will be able to undo...
Good point. Hmm.

But I'm not quite sure what the dialog will say. Somewhere between "Sorry, but that move will result in your immenent demise" and "FLAMING FEGUNDOS, ARE YOU BLIND!!!???"

09-12-2007 at 03:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
But the move count should be incremented to show how much of an idiot you were for walking into a place where you could be killed.
09-12-2007 at 03:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Not a fan: there's two scenarios where you die in DROD: poor fighting or poor tactics. The undo handles poor fighting as it's rare to get into a position where undoing once won't help you kill roaches when undoing twice (theoretically) will. Poor tactics, however, is a different story, and a 'death lock' won't help you avoid a situation where you've taken the wrong approach to solving the puzzle or killing the horde.

09-12-2007 at 05:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vittro
I think Death Lock is really good for beginners or tedious horde/hack'n'slash rooms...

Also, for messages, I would suggest to randomly choose a comic message with DROD words in it...

09-12-2007 at 12:12 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Death Lock (+3)  
vittro wrote:
I think Death Lock is really good for beginners or tedious horde/hack'n'slash rooms...

Also, for messages, I would suggest to randomly choose a comic message with DROD words in it...

I'm afraid I need to weigh in on the 'pointless' side.

Why is this better than just hitting backspace? Your move count doesn't grow in any case. And even if it did, people who you describe as being in a position to make use of the death lock are probably not going to be worried about an extra move added to the count.

No, what we need is an 'unsolvable-lock'. When you turn this on, it prevents you from making a move that would make the room unsolvable. No more barging right in and killing that vulnerable brain, just to find out at the end of the room that you needed it for something. (Plus, think how much easier it would be to check for unintended solutions or accidentally unsolvable rooms!)

Josh

09-12-2007 at 05:30 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
No. This is basically a request to extend undo from 1 move to 2 moves. Bad idea. At this point, DROD is dumbed down enough, we don't need to go any further that way. If there is an extremely tedious room, blame the architect, don't add features that might make tedious rooms the norm.

09-12-2007 at 05:34 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
jbluestein wrote:
No, what we need is an 'unsolvable-lock'. When you turn this on, it prevents you from making a move that would make the room unsolvable.
I haven't laughed that much for a while. Hilarious... :D

[Last edited by Syntax at 09-12-2007 05:37 PM]
09-12-2007 at 05:36 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
jbluestein wrote:
No, what we need is an 'unsolvable-lock'. When you turn this on, it prevents you from making a move that would make the room unsolvable.
But turning that on would also prevent me from importing anything by Larrymurk, wouldn't it?
09-12-2007 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Well, it would make it a lot easier as you would only ever be allowed to make the exact right move each go :)
09-12-2007 at 07:44 PM
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
I think most people already have an unsolvable-lock. Or at least I do. It's in the form of "Argh!!! This room is unsolvable! I'm never going to try it again! Argh!!!", with more 'Argh!', and possibly expletives.
09-12-2007 at 08:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
Tahnan wrote:
jbluestein wrote:
But turning that on would also prevent me from importing anything by Larrymurk, wouldn't it?
:lol
Maybe we could have something that measures skill level, and prevents you from trying anything too hard.
09-13-2007 at 03:34 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
Tahnan wrote:
jbluestein wrote:

"Strange game. The only way to win is not to play."

09-13-2007 at 05:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
silver wrote:
How about a nice game of chess?

09-13-2007 at 05:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Death Lock (+2)  
calamarain wrote:
silver wrote:
How about a nice game of chess?

Nah. Let's play Deadly Thermonuclear Rooms Of Death.

09-13-2007 at 02:33 PM
Garlonuss
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 275
Just a thought, but what if you were actually in the position of wanting to know what would have killed you? If it didn't even play out the scenario, you wouldn't get that information. For instance, if you had wandered into a bomb field and one of them is about to blow from a fuse, you may just want to get a good look at the actual bomb explosion to plan out where to stand. Yes you could turn off the lock, but that's just a simple (maybe too simple?) example of how this feature could actually prevent the player from getting necessary information.

Click here to view the secret text

09-13-2007 at 05:02 PM
Ed Crash
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
vittro wrote:
Hey, I'm back... In case you're wondering why I missed the community for 8 days, that was because of my internet connection. Problems...

Since DROD is a puzzle game, I think there should be a "Death Lock", like a room lock, that works like this :

When the player is making a move that makes him die, the move will be automatically un-doed instatanely, and a message will appear like this : That move makes you die, please unluck with Shift.
Yeah! :thumbsup

09-14-2007 at 11:10 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Death Lock
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com