Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Spiral (Cute Puzzles)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.5/10 (20 votes)
σ 1.77
Author Name:Daniel Blochinger
Submitted By:MeckMeck GRE
Hold Name:The Spiral
Theme:Cute Puzzles
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:16
Number of Monsters:692
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:4 (+4 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: The Spiral.hold (8.2 KB)
Downloaded 1216 times.
License: Other
icon The Spiral  
"The Spiral" is a short hold featuring 15 medium puzzles which all require you to get the trick (some of these might be a little mean...) or the lynchpin of them. With a playtime of 30-60 minutes the Spiral is an Al-Dente hold, which means that it's suitable for a quick play and for a small diversion from the big and hard holds. The most used elements in the Spiral are the sister gates.

The following people helped me to find trivial solutions: Hikari, Tokyokid, Ezlo, jbluestein, vittro. Thank you, guys!
09-11-2007 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: The Spiral (0)  
Just finished 1S2E. It took me just shy of 1400 moves, and I was thinking, "I probably could have been a little faster", so I checked the high scores.

Best score so far: 87. So yes, clearly I could have been faster. (I bet I was supposed to go inside there...so much for thinking outside the box.)

Enjoying the hold so far, in any case.
09-12-2007 at 03:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jmpava
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
So, started playing this in the current 3.1 build (3.1.0.45), walked into the very first room and thought, gee, that was trivial. Then I tried it in 3.0.0 just to check. It appears this room is completely different depending on which version you use. In 3.0.0, if you walk in facing right and immediately kill the tar mother, the reverse black gate rises. In 3.1.0.45 it doesn't. So, you walk into the room with your sword facing right, the tar mother is killed and you can walk right on to the babies and out the door.

I noticed there were some changes to tar door behavior on start of room conditions for 3.1, so that probably caused this - not sure if this particular aspect is a bug or not so I'll mention it on the 3.1 thread but figured I'd give you a heads up also.

Edit: Sounds like it's a bug, not an intentional change, so it should be ok in the final.

[Last edited by jmpava at 09-13-2007 01:43 AM]
09-12-2007 at 06:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Great hold so far. Lot of interesting and unusual puzzles :)

Just one thing: 1S1E is not backtrackable so I'd recommend completing all the rooms prior to this before continuing or you may have to redo some rooms.

[EDIT]

And completed. Excellent hold!

7 brains, 8.5 fun

[Last edited by Syntax at 09-12-2007 10:20 AM]
09-12-2007 at 09:40 AM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Syntax wrote:
Great hold so far. Lot of interesting and unusual puzzles :)

Just one thing: 1S1E is not backtrackable so I'd recommend completing all the rooms prior to this before continuing or you may have to redo some rooms.

Note that with one exception, the hold is entirely linear. You can't go on to the next room without solving the current one, barring possibly unforseen clever methods of self-sabotage.

So non-backtrackability of rooms is sort of a non-issue.

Josh

09-12-2007 at 02:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Woops... you're absolutely right. I misread the room and thought it was possible to exit it to the right without completing it. Just thought we'd missed it in HA. Apologies.
09-12-2007 at 02:45 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Yuppers, fun hold. Nice job MeckMeck.
09-12-2007 at 03:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
icon Re: The Spiral (+1)  
An update from over on Bugs.

Yes, the bug affecting 1E has been fixed in the latest 3.1 so that
Click here to view the secret text

However, 1E will still need an update to work with 3.1. You now can't backtrack through the room after conquering it. If the Entrance is the only way to end the hold, this means the hold won't be beatable. The change is:

09-13-2007 at 03:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
schep wrote:
However, 1E will still need an update to work with 3.1. You now can't backtrack through the room after conquering it. If the Entrance is the only way to end the hold, this means the hold won't be beatable. The change is:

I don't think this will be a problem. Check the direction of the force arrow. :)
09-13-2007 at 03:21 PM
schep
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
I don't think this will be a problem. Check the direction of the force arrow. :)
Bwa-ha! Okay, that's one of my more interesting thinkos in a while. This is still a slight problem if the player clears the room and then exits to the west before clearing the level, though.
09-14-2007 at 12:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
This is looking to be a cool little hold so far. Tricky enough to keep the attention - an excellent palate cleanser while you're working on other holds and need a break :)

09-14-2007 at 12:36 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
schep wrote:
Bwa-ha! Okay, that's one of my more interesting thinkos in a while. This is still a slight problem if the player clears the room and then exits to the west before clearing the level, though.
Well, it's the very first room with monsters in it in the hold - I don't think restarting in that case is *that* problematic...

09-14-2007 at 08:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danteslives
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 48
That was really fun! I must say that 1 south 2 east made me feel like a complete idiot. Thank you!
09-14-2007 at 03:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: The Spiral (+1)  
OK, just completed it

I have to say that it's definitely a good little hold. An excellent palate cleanser, tricky but not that hard. There is a slight thing with the last room that I'd mention - you don't actually have to have conquered all other rooms first - there's a way to do it and get out that doesn't involve the blue doors at all.

I really quite enjoyed this. Quick and good.

09-17-2007 at 10:20 PM
Syntax
calamarain wrote:
I have to say that it's definitely a good little hold. An excellent palate cleanser, tricky but not that hard. There is a slight thing with the last room that I'd mention - you don't actually have to have conquered all other rooms first - there's a way to do it and get out that doesn't involve the blue doors at all.
Good point :) I didn't actually use the blue doors in my solution either. At least that gets rid of the only potential backtrack issue...
09-17-2007 at 10:39 PM
schep
Briareos wrote:
schep wrote:
Well, it's the very first room with monsters in it in the hold - I don't think restarting in that case is *that* problematic...
Ah, but if you solve all rooms except one, then wander back to the Entrance, you need to Restore and possibly redo one room. Just pointing this out. I wouldn't object to leaving this as is and calling it "so don't do that".
09-18-2007 at 02:34 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
schep wrote:
Ah, but if you solve all rooms except one, then wander back to the Entrance, you need to Restore and possibly redo one room. Just pointing this out. I wouldn't object to leaving this as is and calling it "so don't do that".
If you exit the room I talked about above to the west into the starting room you're definitely trapped (as the black sister gates will stay up), so there's no way you could get further than the first room, never mind be missing a room at the end because of it...

np: Nicole Willis - Siesta (Soul Makeover)

09-18-2007 at 03:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
Great Hold! I absolutely loved it! (I love lynchpin holds anyways)
Nice for a short, fun hold.

Some comments: (Might contain spoilers)

4.5 Brains
9/10 Overall

-Insane
11-14-2007 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
Double post, insane!

Anyway, great hold! Lot of funny and hard puzzle, but easy for me. Good the idea, all.

I give it 7 fun e 3.5 brains

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.

[Last edited by Neather2 at 11-14-2007 07:41 PM]
11-14-2007 at 07:40 PM
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
icon Re: The Spiral (+3)  
This is a clever little hold where each room has a trick or lynchpin although some of the rooms do have multiple solutions.

The level is laid out as a spiral as the hold name might suggest. I feel the rooms could have benefited from a bit more decoration as they were mostly squares with the puzzle in the middle, but for a hold of this size that's not a major issue.

As for the puzzles themselves, some of them are clever, some mean, a few I spotted immediately whereas a couple of them left me stumped (2E in particular).

This is definately worth a play, although less experienced players might find some of the rooms a bit too tricky.

My Verdict:

Difficulty: 5.5
Fun: 7

Progress - Gavin G

[Last edited by martz at 11-18-2011 09:05 PM]
11-18-2011 at 09:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Spiral (Cute Puzzles) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com