Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Rotating Blades
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
IP: Logged
icon Rotating Blades (0)  
An obstacle that would lead to some fascinating timing puzzles, and swordless puzzles.

Very very simple idea. Stationary object, cannot be destroyed except by explosion... with n swords attached to it. Every turn it rotates once, clockwise or counterclockwise depending on how it was started.

It's rather customisable. You can have one sword on it, for an obstacle. Two swords, one on either end, to make it dangerous. Four swords on it to make it virtually unpassable. Have it on a corridor, making it one way only. Have it as a thing to kill monsters, when you yourself are swordless. You could even have tokens that reverse the direction of all rotating blades.

This could be done manually using a guard NPC, but it lacks elegance, and could use a slightly different graphic.

05-23-2007 at 02:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
icon Re: Rotating Blades (0)  
Put a transparent NPC on briar for a start?

05-23-2007 at 03:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
calamarain wrote:
It's rather customisable. You can have one sword on it, for an obstacle. Two swords, one on either end, to make it dangerous. Four swords on it to make it virtually unpassable. Have it on a corridor, making it one way only. Have it as a thing to kill monsters, when you yourself are swordless. You could even have tokens that reverse the direction of all rotating blades.

Hint: A rotating thingie with 4 swords is completely impassable.

(At least if they're arranged symmetrically that is AND you don't have a speed potion.)
05-23-2007 at 03:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3261
...what do briars have to do with this?

Changing character graphics isn't actually that hard to do. This is a pretty easy object to script manually, even with toggling/reversing support (although multiple swords and bomb-vulnerability wouldn't work).

I'm not sure if it'd be interesting enough to be a whole new element: At the moment the uses seem somewhat limited, making scripting seem sufficient to me.
05-23-2007 at 03:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Doom wrote:
...what do briars have to do with this?

Changing character graphics isn't actually that hard to do. This is a pretty easy object to script manually, even with toggling/reversing support (although multiple swords and bomb-vulnerability wouldn't work).

I'm not sure if it'd be interesting enough to be a whole new element: At the moment the uses seem somewhat limited, making scripting seem sufficient to me.

You may be right. Scripting it isn't too hard. With a new graphic made up for it (perhaps just a recoloured orb), it could be made easily. The only tricky part... can custom tiled creatures have swords?

05-23-2007 at 03:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1224
More than one sword? Because I think a spinner with two blades would be neat.
05-23-2007 at 03:54 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Ezlo wrote:
Because I think a spinner with two blades would be neat.
Prince of Persia style... I like it :)
05-24-2007 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
Four blades (arranged symmetrically) is passable. Well, unless it's surrounded with Ortho Squares.:fun

But even if you can't move diagonally, there's still a way to get by, as long as the blades can be stopped by something uncuttable.

Perhaps you can try to lure Wubbas into them. Or Rock Golems. Neither one can be killed by swords (and, by coincidence, they follow the same, sometimes difficult to control movement scheme, unfortunately giving no easier enemy to use).

This will also create some other interesting ideas in the thought of unjamming it; destroying a crumbly wall that is holding it up, or using a yellow wall to make it start/stop moving.

But you can't script it if it has more than one sword. You can't put two NPCs (one for each sword) in the same square.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 05-26-2007 02:53 AM]
05-26-2007 at 02:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Rotating Blades (+1)  
Kwakstur wrote:
Four blades (arranged symmetrically) is passable. Well, unless it's surrounded with Ortho Squares.:fun
Proof?
 |
-o-
 |B

\ /
 oB
/ \

Now if Beethro isn't using a speed potion, how does he survive?
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-30-2007 03:10 PM]
05-26-2007 at 02:56 AM
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385

O.|.O
.-O-B
O.|.O

O.|BO
.-O-.
O.|.O
Oh, whoops, I forgot that the thing turns when Beethro moves into it. So,
O\.XO  X=dead Beethro
..O..
O/.\O

So Beethro can't move diagonally into it without getting killed. Or horizontally, for that matter.

Wait, so how did Beethro get into those locations in your diagrams?

Oh, so, in fact, he can't survive one even with a speed potion.
Scratch that. He can't survive one even with a speed potion if there's ortho squares.
Oh, look at that! A speed potion makes my last post valid.

05-26-2007 at 03:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Rotating Blades (+1)  
It all depends on the move order. My post showed a point where Beethro had moved, but the rotating swords had not.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-30-2007 03:08 PM]
05-26-2007 at 03:21 AM
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154

File: Deadly Spinners of Death.hold (2.7 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
License: Public Domain
Kwakstur wrote:
But you can't script it if it has more than one sword. You can't put two NPCs (one for each sword) in the same square.

True, you can't put more than one NPC on the same square, but is this really impossible to script?

-Insane
05-27-2007 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Insane wrote:
Kwakstur wrote:

True, you can't put more than one NPC on the same square, but is this really impossible to script?

-Insane

Probably not, but you couldn't do it as a single object. If you want more than one blade, you'd have to do it as several objects, which kill Beethro on touch, and move in a predetermined pattern.

05-27-2007 at 09:33 PM
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
I just used several custom-graphic guards that had a visible sword (flipped around) and an invisible body.
This is very, very, very un-elegant, since holding your sword where the guard's body would be completely blocks the guard from appearing and utterly breaks the rhythm of the swords.
this problem could be solved by simple having the otherwise stationary center-post appear, although only one sword could be fixed that way.

It's very trivial to script, as it involves defining a new loopable appearance pattern for every single sword, but it's definitely possible. If anyone's willing to further look into the scripting of this, my hold is anyone-edit.
Also, speed potions completely mess up the two- and three-sword spinners, while not affecting the four sword spinner at all.

-Insane
05-27-2007 at 09:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Rotating Blades
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com