Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : DROD on wii.
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD on wii. (+1)  
Oh FFS. PC stands for "Personal Computer". Macs are PCs. Deal with it.

05-16-2007 at 09:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580

File: pc.jpg (11.9 KB)
Downloaded 666 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: DROD on wii. (+3)  

[Last edited by trick at 05-16-2007 11:22 PM]
05-16-2007 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Ah, a PC64!

I heard about the closest thing to a good DROD movement interface we could implement on a game console:
* Use the 4-direction pad/analog stick to allow axial movement
* Use the four buttons to handle the diagonal moves.
* Use the L and R buttons to rotate.
* Roll the joystick quickly in a counter-clockwise motion from left to right to fire a hadouken.

It could happen. Well, everything except that last part.

(Hey, btw -- we've got game console dev kits at the company where I work now! I'm not going to be touching them any time soon, though. I work on low-level R&D.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-25-2007 at 05:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
mrimer wrote:
I heard about the closest thing to a good DROD movement interface we could implement on a game console:
I dunno - isn't using buttons that could be laid out who-knows-how depending on the controller for diagonal movement a bit awkward?

I would have just used the stick together with a button - move the stick into any direction to select one of the surrounding squares and hit a button to step into that direction, or leave it centered and hit the same button to wait a turn. Combine this with the tile Beethro would move to being highlighted on the screen, and you can control him with an 8-way stick/pad and just 3 buttons... :)

Now all we need is DROD: The Arcade Game... :lol

(PS @coppro: the ability to run Linux doesn't really mean something is a PC anymore - my NSLU2 NAS-turned-router-and-general-server runs Linux (even though it only has a 266MHz ARM CPU, 32MB of RAM and no graphics chip), as does my WLAN access point - and neither could honestly be considered being a PC... ;))

05-25-2007 at 09:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
icon Re: DROD on wii. (0)  
And it could be for the Wii that while holding the A button, you just flick the WiiMote in the direction you wanna go, and if you want to rotate your sword, you press <- for counter-clockwise, and -> for clockwise. And for wait... just press B.

05-26-2007 at 12:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Actually, using a system like with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, maybe holding a certain button will make you move diagonal.

After a while of playing PMD, you get used to pressing R every time you want to make sure you move diagonal.

For DROD: Wii, it could be the B trigger button.

Here's what I think.

Click here to view the secret text

EDIT: Oh, I just realized that I'm forgetting something: Point sensitivity!

Well, here's another layout:

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 05-26-2007 01:34 AM]
05-26-2007 at 01:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
mrimer wrote:

I gotta say, if DROD were to appear on (for the sake of argument) XBLA, I'd prefer a setup like this:

* left stick manages 8-way movement. This is somewhat intelligent, in that the arc that corresponds to one direction will shrink to (say) half if that way is blocked. (For example, in an open area each direction would correspond to an arc of 1/8 of the stick's movement. In a room full of orthogonal tiles, for example, the diagonal arcs would be 1/16 in length while the orthogonal arcs would be 3/16 in length.)
* bottom button (on the Xbox 360 controller, this is A) is wait.
* left shoulder button toggles step mode. In this mode, the A button becomes the 'step' button, and the left stick is used to decide the direction Beethro will step in. If the left stick is centered, pressing A will make Beethro wait.
* left trigger turns on step mode as long as it's depressed.
* right analog stick handles rotation. Flicking the stick in a direction will turn the sword in that direction. There would be a dead zone of about 1/6 in the axis the sword is pointing (This way, there's less chance for ambiguity about rotation, and players can push the stick down in the direction of Beethro's sword and rotate the stick to rotate the sword).
* B button is undo.
* X button is the combat button.
* Y button is restart.
* the select button will bring up the in-game menu, which has the map and a menu containing things like Record Demo, View Demo, Restore, Statistics, etc.
* the D-pad will bring up a cursor that shows what is on each tile. This cursor fades after a move or five seconds of inaction. In this mode, clicking the right shoulder button or right trigger will perform the left click action in the PC version (such as showing an evil eye's vision, the doors affected by orbs and pressure plates, etc.)

I figure that the most common action, wait/move, should go on the bottom button. I reckon undo should go on a red button, the combat button should be next to the wait/move button, and the restart button should be on the face of the controller. The top button seems like a good place. I figure that we might want two modes of movement, although it might be better to swap them so that the 'step move' is the default and the 'rush move' is the modifier. I reckon that the right analog stick should be the sword because it's a movement action. I've never really liked the way sword movement works in DROD - it feels like the interface is getting in the way, considering that the movement keys are in relation to the screen and the rotation keys are in relation to Beethro.

Alternatively, the right analog stick could be used for step movement and the left and right trigger used for Beethro's sword, but that feels to me like it's causing extra problems. Perhaps that could be an option.

Another alternative is to trash the 8-way movement on rush mode and have 4-way movement, and hold down the right trigger to move diagonally.

05-26-2007 at 03:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Mattcrampy wrote:
I gotta say, if DROD were to appear on (for the sake of argument) XBLA, I'd prefer a setup like this:
Forget XBLA, just download the Windows drivers for the Xbox 360 controller and add this to the Windows version... :D

(FTR - I've just played through the Tomb Raider Anniversary demo using that controller and can't wait for my full version to ship...)

np: Vladislav Delay - He Lived Deeply (Whistleblower)

05-26-2007 at 05:03 PM
Bobpie
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 54
Tahnan wrote:
Wait, wait, dude. DROD DROD Revolution!
that would be awsome!
"Are you danceing?"
"No! I'm slaying roachies!"

05-31-2007 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
"Get down, it's the Dungeon Dance! We'll all do the Beethro Bop and the Waterskipper Waltz!" :lol

05-31-2007 at 03:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Pilchard VIII wrote:
"Get down, it's the Dungeon Dance! We'll all do the Beethro Bop and the Waterskipper Waltz!" :lol
As long as it isn't DJ Ötzi's "Burger Dance"... *ick*

np: Kettel - Shinusob (Re: Through Friendly Waters)

06-01-2007 at 10:41 AM
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
icon Re: DROD on wii. (-2)  
Tahnan wrote:
Wait, wait, dude. DROD DROD Revolution!

NO.

11-16-2007 at 06:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
golfrman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
You guys know that the wii is sentisive to rotating the controller while pointed at the screen right? Why not just use that for sword movement?

11-17-2007 at 06:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
This was my thought as well, it seems more intuitive than using buttons for that particular function.

11-18-2007 at 02:27 AM
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
In my opinion, one big problem with DROD on a system like that is that the motions will feel weird and unnecessary because although the controls can be creatively mapped to these motions, they don't seem logical. For instance, flicking the controller feels like a reaction. An enemy approaches Link, and you quickly flick to kill it. Gongon reaches a hole and you flick upwards to let him jump.

It will seem weird to ponder about a room for a few minutes and then suddenly flick the remote to turn. Flicking, turning yourself, and quite frankly every movement you can do (except pointing at the screen to select something) are usually reserved for time-based tasks.

11-18-2007 at 10:55 PM
reyll3
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
i actually dont think this is a good idea.
i am thinking that because all you can do is doing it on the Wii and thats only at home.
its actually quite irrelevent to have drod on 2 consoles (pc and wii).
it COULD be on the DS,thats quite easier to make and a handheld so you can play DROD everywhere.
and you could download new maps with Wi-Fi connection :)

11-19-2007 at 05:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Kwakstur wrote:
It will seem weird to ponder about a room for a few minutes and then suddenly flick the remote to turn.

Metroid Prime 3 has a couple of places where you have to use gentle turns of the remote in order to do something. I don't necessarily think that any rotation has to be 'flicking', especially if you send some vibration feedback after every 45 degrees (like feeling a 'click' when you turn a knob).

11-19-2007 at 08:36 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : DROD on wii.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com