Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.1 TCB Patch (Windows) (Build 54)
Page 5 of 11
6789>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged
icon Re: 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (0)  
I never did understand or agree with the decision to remove the Instructor type. There seemed to be no reason to do so, and it totally broke MetDROiD Echoes.
This probably isn't the appropriate place to discuss this, though...

[Last edited by Jatopian at 09-04-2007 11:05 PM]
09-04-2007 at 11:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
magevet's post is rather confusing, but I think the point is:

- According to the bugfix list in the first post in this thread, instructors are *not* supposed to convert in 3.1 (as far as I know, you're not allowed to create new instructors but old ones should still work).

- Apparently, they still convert in the Linux build.

- Also, the official Linux version seems to erroneously think it is a beta.

09-04-2007 at 11:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
eytanz wrote:
magevet's post is rather confusing, but I think the point is:

- According to the bugfix list in the first post in this thread, instructors are *not* supposed to convert in 3.1 (as far as I know, you're not allowed to create new instructors but old ones should still work).

- Apparently, they still convert in the Linux build.
Ah, okay. That makes sense. You're right -- the instructor type should not be changed when importing a 2.0 hold to 3.1. In 3.0, yes, they were being converted to citizen4s, which caused incorrect behavior like Jatopian mentions. We don't have a Linux version of 3.1 available, but naturally this bug still exists in Linux DROD 3.0. I don't know how magevet got ahold of a 3.1 Linux build unless he built it from the source code, which may explain why it thinks it's a beta if he's building it with the wrong settings.

Incidentally, the 2.0 Instructor NPC type will be shown with a citizen4 avatar in 3.0, which may be what magevet is actually observing (and is the intended behavior). I think he might just be confused about that, because the instructor's type remains an Instructor in the back-end.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-05-2007 06:02 AM]
09-05-2007 at 05:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
mrimer wrote:
We don't have a Linux version of 3.1 available, but naturally this bug still exists in Linux DROD 3.0. I don't know how magevet got ahold of a 3.1 Linux build unless he built it from the source code, which may explain why it thinks it's a beta if he's building it with the wrong settings.
I'd assume he got it from this post:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=15530&page=3#198656

09-05-2007 at 08:53 AM
magevet
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
just to clarify:
i indeed got the 3.1 linux version from this post:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=15530&page=3#198656
it said it's a beta and will expire and metroid echoes is still broken in it.
please make metroid echoes work in drod tcb in linux...

09-05-2007 at 05:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
If your version is going to expire, then I'd suggest you to at least back up your player file.
Select 'Change Player' on the main menu, then press the 'Export' button to save your player file.
This will give you a file with all your player information and scores that you can always use in case anything bad happens.

Edit: Also write down the list of holds you're playing at that moment, since you'll have to import those holds first before you import the player.

[Last edited by Tim at 09-06-2007 10:47 AM]
09-06-2007 at 09:09 AM
mrimer
It seems we've fixed up just about every confirmed bug except a couple of minor cosmetic issues, with the exception of one serious bug:

Demos are lost and no longer saved after upgrading data files from 3.0 to 3.1
It gives you errors in drod.err like:
Assertion error in line 1729 of .\DbXML.cpp: "!"Row lookup failed.""

Assertion error in line 60 of .\DbDemos.cpp: "!"Bad demo ID.""

Assertion error in line 350 of .\Db.cpp: "demoIndex.find(demoID) == demoIndex.end()"

Assertion error in line 351 of .\Db.cpp: "demosHoldIndex.find(demoID) == demosHoldIndex.end()"
I've looked through the code for this bug, with no success, so I'll need some help on this one. It has to be fixed before a 3.1 patch is officially released. So if this has happened to anyone who can make their original 3.0 data files available to me, please let me know how I can get them from you (you can leave out drod3_0.dat and data.dat -- just zip/rar up the player.dat and post or email it to me, etc.). I'd like to get a data file that causes this problem so I can reproduce this bug on my end.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-08-2007 10:27 PM]
09-08-2007 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (+1)  
I just made another 3.0 install, copied the .dat files from my other 3.0 install to this new install, upgraded the new install to 3.1.0.42, and it seems to have upgraded it fine - nothing in drod.err, no error beeps, and my demos still seem to be there.

Edit: Oh, I get it. The problem isn't with upgrading, but after the upgrade has occurred. In which case, yes, the same happens for me. I just tried completing a room and got the first error in drod.err that Dr. Mr. Imer listed.

[Last edited by Kevin_P86 at 09-08-2007 10:57 PM]
09-08-2007 at 10:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (+3)  
I've sent mine to your Caravel Games e-mail. Also included data.dat, since I figured it was only 80kb for me and was just as unique to me as player.dat... and who knows, it might even be a necessary step in replicating the bug.

I can easily generate assertions by creating a fresh 3.0 installation, using the patch in this thread on it, then copying the two .dat files into the directory and starting up TCB. The first assertion I get starts as soon as I attempt to save any demo (usually by completing a room for automatic save on victory). After that, problems start coming out of the woodworks - all related bugs only occur for me once I've attempted to save a demo at least once.

I hope that's enough.
09-08-2007 at 10:50 PM
mrimer
TFMurphy wrote:
I've sent mine to your Caravel Games e-mail. Also included data.dat, since I figured it was only 80kb for me and was just as unique to me as player.dat... and who knows, it might even be a necessary step in replicating the bug.

I can easily generate assertions by creating a fresh 3.0 installation, using the patch in this thread on it, then copying the two .dat files into the directory and starting up TCB. The first assertion I get starts as soon as I attempt to save any demo (usually by completing a room for automatic save on victory). After that, problems start coming out of the woodworks - all related bugs only occur for me once I've attempted to save a demo at least once.

I hope that's enough.
Woo! That's enough. Instead of performing "p_DemoID(row) = p_DemoID(oldIncrementedIDsRow);" at DRODLib/DbBase.cpp:1489, I was doing "p_SavedGameID(row) = p_SavedGameID(oldIncrementedIDsRow);". Copy-and-paste error, probably. Well, looks like that's taken care of! I'm going to prepare a new patch candidate now...

09-09-2007 at 12:48 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I've got a plan. I'm going to copy my old 3.0 backup data files into my personal version of DROD, and then set a breakpoint at AssertErr, and see what happens.

Is it possible that this is because of an unknown but fixed 3.0 bug and that new clean data files will not encounter this error?
09-09-2007 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
coppro wrote:
I've got a plan. I'm going to copy my old 3.0 backup data files into my personal version of DROD, and then set a breakpoint at AssertErr, and see what happens.

Is it possible that this is because of an unknown but fixed 3.0 bug and that new clean data files will not encounter this error?
Are you talking about the demo weirdness? That's a bug in the 3.0 --> 3.0.2/3.1 upgrade process. It won't appear when you start with fresh 3.1 data files.

09-09-2007 at 12:55 AM
coppro
Ok, got it. Let's see what I can't break.
09-09-2007 at 12:57 AM
coppro
Ok, first observation.

Looking at freshly upgraded .dat files, it seems that the player.dat structure has been maintained throughout all 4 of it's resulting files. In addition, the IncrementedIDs are not consistent. In fact, some, like DemoID and HoldID are not even retained across the upgrade. In fact, that's the source of the bug! DemoID is being reset to 10000, and so DROD tries to save a demo with ID 10001, and discovers something there already. Hence the third assertion, and the rest follow.
Also, the Data table seems never to be used, in either version.

Suggestion: Do a more thorough upgrade. Restructure the data files, and fix the incremented ID upgrades. Get rid of the useless Data table. Most 3.1 data files are probably well beyond repair now.

[Last edited by coppro at 09-09-2007 01:47 AM]
09-09-2007 at 01:31 AM
mrimer
coppro wrote:
Looking at freshly upgraded .dat files, it seems that the player.dat structure has been maintained throughout all 4 of it's resulting files.
Yes, this is correct. This is for simplicity, though most tables are not used in each file.
In addition, the IncrementedIDs are not consistent. In fact, some, like DemoID and HoldID are not even retained across the upgrade. In fact, that's the source of the bug! DemoID is being reset to 10000, and so DROD tries to save a demo with ID 10001, and discovers something there already. Hence the third assertion, and the rest follow.
Hmm...I'd like to say, "Hello! I believe I just said that!" but instead I'll say "Thank you for double-checking my solution". I'm not sure what you mean about the Incremented HoldID not being retained. If you think there's a bug with the hold ID, please be more specific. It looks fine to me.
Also, the Data table seems never to be used, in either version.
Yes -- the Data table is used in data.dat, which is not altered by the upgrade.
Suggestion: Do a more thorough upgrade. Restructure the data files, and fix the incremented ID upgrades.
I don't know what you mean by "do a more thorough upgrade". Also, I'll repeat that I just said that I fixed the incremented ID upgrade.
Get rid of the useless Data table. Most 3.1 data files are probably well beyond repair now.
Sorry, I think you just don't know what you're talking about here. Everything seems fine besides that bad demo ID.

09-09-2007 at 02:03 AM
mrimer
I've posted the 3.1.0.43 patch to the first post. Please look at the first post for the patch and a list of fixes and improvements. All known serious bugs should be fixed now, but please take my advice when I say to back up your .dats and .exe before applying this patch, just in case. If you don't know how to do this, then please wait until this patch is officially released on the Caravel Downloads page. :)

09-09-2007 at 02:06 AM
coppro
Whoops. I seem to have completely missed that post (where you solved it). Completely. I never even saw it. Sorry. At least we agree.
09-09-2007 at 02:34 AM
TFMurphy
icon Re: 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (+4)  
Well, no assert errors immediately after my very first demo save now, so that's a plus. I'll just go through my list instead and see what we find. Let's do this via lists, shall we?

TCB Rooms that 3.0 players should be wary of
* Under the Library 2N4W now has slightly tighter timing, and will thus likely invalidate all current #1s. The room is still completable, so most demos that aren't cutting it as close as the #1s should still be valid.
* Castle Dugan and King Dugan's Dungeon may see some demo breakages in rooms with guards, due to pathmaps now correctly updating on the turn you lose stealth.
* River Dugan 2S2E may have some demo breakages. You can use the same strategy as before, but the timing on some moves may be different.
* Holding Vats 3S4W will require recompletion by almost everyone - you have an additional challenge to overcome due to briar changes. [This room is being tweaked in the 3.1 full install to retain the original level of difficulty -- mrimer]
* Frozen Depths 2N2W may have demo breakages for some people. It didn't for mine, but the oremite change might necessitate a replay for some.

Haven't noticed any others. The rest of my TCB demos were fine, and I couldn't think of any other problems in TCB rooms that might crop up from the listed fixes. Other holds may not be so lucky - I expect we'll hear about them shortly. Onwards.

Confirmed Fixes
* Guards/Stalwarts/Slayers now understand Oremites a lot better. (Guards and Slayers can still be evaded if you're careful, so there's still plenty of manipulation available... but the tricks will have changed)
* Briar roots are no longer choked by briar belonging to other roots before merging.
* Brains and Guards now properly track players upon Player Role change and stealth loss.
* Double placement graphics now appear to work fine on the same turn as a Player Role change.
* Demos are saving just as fine as they were in 3.0.0 after .dat upgrade. Very nice.
* Beethro, Mimics, Decoys, Inactive Clones and scripted Characters all get hasted sword hits on half-turns. Guards, Stalwarts and Slayers do not. Aumtlich gazes work fine on half-turns, but orbs will only crack from them on full turns.

Confirmed 'Issues' Left
* Hitting forward after watching a "corrupt" demo that ends in death allows the demo to continue, also making an assertion beep.
* Master Walls still have their current problems with demos, mirrors and scripting.[addressed in build 45]
* Fegundo and Wraithwing NPCs still depress pressure plates at all times.[fixed in build 44]
* Undo during double placement seems finicky. You can undo during placement only if you did not use Undo last turn. If you have, then no Undo is possible, and you must place the double to continue. (Personally, I still agree with Pinnacle in that undo should go back to the last player turn, rather than revert the last command - same with Questions, really. But that's another thing entirely and not connected to this particular fix)
* Building bombs and fuses on top of briar still causes errors when the briar attempts to grow past it.[fixed in build 45 -- mrimer]
* Adders can still move on top of stealthy player roles if the adder senses another target. This does not kill the player role. It does kill the Adder on the next turn if the player role can harm with its body though. [fixed in build 44 -- mrimer]
* For some reason, I can't change level styles anymore. While levels that have different styles work fine and can be edited, any attempt to change them ends up with the level adopting City style. Clicking on City gives me the following error: Assertion error in line 152 of .\DrodBitmapManager.cpp: "!style.empty()". This error then continues to repeat when editing rooms, playtesting, etc., for whatever hold I attempted to change styles with. This has nothing to do with the styles *really* available to me: I can create a new hold and get default Aboveground style fine, and all other styles appear as they should visually. [fixed in build 45 -- mrimer]
* Long rooms with lots of checkpoints are still suffering from a failure to save demos on victory if the 'r' or undo key have been used since starting the room or restoring to a checkpoint. [fixed in build 45 -- mrimer]

Apparent New Issues
* Custom Characters that have swords, when used as a Player Role, have a north-facing decoy instead of a sword. This does not affect NPCs using Custom Characters, only the player. [fixed in build 45 -- mrimer]
* Lighting is acting slightly screwy: notably with ceiling lights that are near switching wall lights. If all wall lights within range of a ceiling light are turned off, and then one or more of them are turned on, the ceiling light temporarily gains in brightness. In certain complex scripted rooms involving this, it's possible to increment the brightness further until the tiles are near saturated. I'm not sure about all the events that can cause this, but what I describe is the easiest repeatable method. This didn't happen in 3.0.0, so I believe it's an artifact of whatever was changed to fix BoyBlue's problem with Beethro's lantern interacting with switchable wall lights.[fixed in build 44 -- mrimer]

That's the basics, I think. I haven't retested any issues that were confirmed fixed in previous patches, and I've yet to confirm all the new stuff I hadn't checked last time I tested out the patch. I'll add more to this post if I happen to find anything else.

EDIT: "Activate Item at" does indeed explode bombs, however, it *does* expend a turn right now, unlike fuses. This seems unintentional, so could probably get a quick looking at. [fixed in build 44 -- mrimer]

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-11-2007 05:46 AM]
09-09-2007 at 03:28 AM
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
Mike:
Edit: It's times like these I wish I could disappear off the face of the forums...
Removed second post and this error report. Happy now?
I guess not.
He probably won't have time for "Happy" until he's finished the patch. :lol

[Last edited by Neathro at 09-09-2007 04:44 PM]
09-09-2007 at 10:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Neathro wrote:
This may be 3.0.0 or 3.0.2 as I have 1 version of each.

Fixed?
Please only report bugs that exist in the latest 3.1 patch. (I think this bug has been fixed.)

09-09-2007 at 04:06 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
You've probably seen this staircase crash report, but I'll put it here too for easy reference.
09-09-2007 at 04:12 PM
Syntax
Another crash... hit F6, and a long stall ended with a drop to XP.

drod.err:

*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 9/9/07 2:11PM ***
Assertion error in line 1245 of .\DbXML.cpp: "fileSize"
*** 9/9/07 2:19PM ***
Assertion error in line 1245 of .\DbXML.cpp: "fileSize"

--

I believe it was the second entry which caused the actual crash (judging by the time).

[EDIT]

Just happened again in the same room (JYS - First Contact - Mystery Maze of Mellenfral: 1E) after hitting F6. Music starts skipping and Drod dies. No entry in drod.err though so the above entries may not be directly associated. Got pretty heavy disc usage at the moment, but it's never caused a crash before...

[Last edited by Syntax at 09-09-2007 04:32 PM]
09-09-2007 at 04:24 PM
mrimer
Neathro wrote:
Pasting max sized, white non wall light onto bookcase object creates swordless sworded decoys? :huh

I'm doing this on image floor.
Neathro, I said -- please stop posting bug reports for version 3.0.0 and 3.0.2. I'm only taking bug reports for 3.1.0 now.

09-09-2007 at 04:38 PM
mrimer
Syntax wrote:
Just happened again in the same room (JYS - First Contact - Mystery Maze of Mellenfral: 1E) after hitting F6. Music starts skipping and Drod dies. No entry in drod.err though so the above entries may not be directly associated. Got pretty heavy disc usage at the moment, but it's never caused a crash before...
Yes...it helps me when you double-check that the bug reliably happens in the same place each time and is not an unreproducable fluke. (Can you tell I'm turning into a cranky old man resembling my avatar? Don't mind me.) Hmm...you're talking about hitting F6 from the game screen, right? And you have CaravelNet service turned on also, right?

09-09-2007 at 04:43 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
TFMurphy reported:
Lots of tempting bite-size bugs...
I'm in a bug-squashing mood again. But it sounds like most of these won't be in my 3.0.2r2-prime build. There's still no public read-only source access, is there?

"Activate Item at" does indeed explode bombs, however, it *does* expend a turn right now, unlike fuses. This seems unintentional, so could probably get a quick looking at.
I dunno, sounds intentional to me. Activating orbs takes a turn, after all. Sure, this would be slightly more powerful if it didn't take a turn, but you can always just use one character per (out of range) bomb if necessary.
09-09-2007 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
mrimer wrote:
Hmm...you're talking about hitting F6 from the game screen, right? And you have CaravelNet service turned on also, right?
That's right... The demo screen turns up, and it just says loading demos. The game becomes unresponsive, and the music starts skipping. It then crashes. I am backing up files at the moment so that might be linked...

Caravel.net is turned on too yet always responding very slowly. My connection speed can't be the cuplrit though (24 meg line), and all other sites load as fast as normal. Sometimes it might say "No demos available for this room", other times it hangs for up to a minute whilst loading. This is the first time I've seen it crash though...
09-09-2007 at 04:48 PM
TFMurphy
schep wrote:
"Activate Item at" does indeed explode bombs, however, it *does* expend a turn right now, unlike fuses. This seems unintentional, so could probably get a quick looking at.
I dunno, sounds intentional to me. Activating orbs takes a turn, after all. Sure, this would be slightly more powerful if it didn't take a turn, but you can always just use one character per (out of range) bomb if necessary.

From the first post of the thread, updated when Build 43 was put up:
+ NPC: ActivateItemAt command may now be used to explode bombs (doesn't expend a turn).

Only question is whether the post or the code contains the mistake ^_^

Syntax wrote:
Caravel.net is turned on too yet always responding very slowly. My connection speed can't be the cuplrit though (24 meg line), and all other sites load as fast as normal. Sometimes it might say "No demos available for this room", other times it hangs for up to a minute whilst loading. This is the first time I've seen it crash though...

I get this all the time in the mornings in 3.0.0 - attempting to view High Score data through the site suffers from the same kind of delays. So, the basic symptoms are not new... but the crashing sounds... problematic.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 09-09-2007 04:53 PM]
09-09-2007 at 04:52 PM
Syntax
TFMurphy wrote:
I get this all the time in the mornings in 3.0.0 - attempting to view High Score data through the site suffers from the same kind of delays. So, the basic symptoms are not new... but the crashing sounds... problematic.
Absolutely right. I've been having slowdowns for months (I've also got rather large data files so that could be the reason). Crashing though is a problem...
09-09-2007 at 04:54 PM
Syntax
Decoy placements counting as double moves from a demo perspective still seems to be a problem. Playing through "JYS - First Contact: The High Path: xN" and the demo counts are different from the actual move count each time.

All these rooms involve lots of decoy placement.

Build 43.
09-09-2007 at 05:23 PM
Syntax
I'm also getting a bug downloading demos which I was hoping would be in fixed in 3.1. A lot of the time I get a "ERROR: File corrupted" error when attempting to download a demo (about 1 in 10 times).

Other times, I'm told no demos are available for this room (about 1 in 4 times).

Workaround is to return to game and hit F6 again.
09-09-2007 at 05:26 PM
Page 5 of 11
6789>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.1 TCB Patch (Windows) (Build 54)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com