Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.1 TCB Patch (Windows) (Build 54)
Page 4 of 11
5678>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
IP: Logged
icon Re: 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (0)  
mrimer--thanks for the patch, but thanks especially for the frankness. I, myself, would likely have installed it without the warning, but I'm also more than a little gunshy, and I'm fully confident that I have no idea what I'm doing, backup-wise.
08-12-2007 at 06:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dolan42
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 195

File: error.jpg (13.6 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (+1)  
Well, I'm glad I backed up. I downloaded and installed the patch and now when I run DROD it gives an error and won't launch. The error is:

C:\Program Files\DROD - The City Beneath\drod.exe
This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Attached is a screen shot.

Edit: Tried again and same error. Oh, and I'm running XP SP2 if that helps.

Edit2: OK, fixed it. The embedded manifest is incorrect. I overwrote it with the manifest from 3.0.2 and it launched correctly.

[Last edited by Dolan42 at 08-12-2007 07:08 AM]
08-12-2007 at 06:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3117
icon Re: 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (+10)  
Here's my notes so far.

I copied my entire folder over to a new location, using an already created Data Path.txt from a demo installation to that location. All DROD files previous in this new location were deleted. I then applied the patch to this folder.

Upgrade was painless. On to the current notes. I'll edit this post as and when I find more.

Confirmed Fixes
* Guards/Slayers now know their sword still appears on oremites if they themselves aren't on oremites. However, Stalwarts don't yet.
* Fog no longer picks out secret/broken walls.
* Scrolls and Potions may now be placed on platforms without workarounds.
* Phantom Aumtlich gaze sparks no longer appears after double placement changes beam.
* Both Required Target bugs now seem to be gone.
* Slayers no longer step on monsters.
* NPC roles work fine with platforms.
* Fegundos, Bombs and Briars now properly respect Force Arrows.
* Pressure Plates, Doors and Platforms now properly subdivide in various circumstances. (Not sure I like how Toggle Plates trigger their 'off' effect immediately after being seperated though, but that's another story)
* Lighting autoupdates after horizontal/vertical flips.
* Spiders are now visible to stealthy roles when in range. However, they also turn to face the player during this time, which seems a little inconsistent (no other monster does until you're a target).
* NPCs use idle animations now.
* Kill count seems to update properly and not count Stalwarts or Fegundos or the like.
* Player roles now die properly.
* Aumtlich gazes don't affect things on walls any more.
* Player Role Brain and Water Skipper Nest are now safely ignored.
* Rooms with Conquer Tokens no longer spark the "Cleared!" sound when they shouldn't when you enter them.
* Face Direction correctly does not take a turn when the character is invisible.
* Stealthy roles become non-stealthy correctly when they attack snakes. (Mimics and the placement of Decoys on role change don't though, but that's another matter entirely)
* Unstable tarstuff under mothers are now properly cleared upon re-entering a conquered room.
* Targates now toggle immediately when all tarstuff is removed (in particular, when an explosion removes the last remaining tarstuff, among other cases)
* Beethro looks invisible after taking an invisibility potion no matter what his orientation.
* Serpents now attack tunnels if a target is on them.
* Tarstuff mothers are now invulnerable to hot tiles.
* Halph and Young Halph now use plates correctly (and you can't have both in the same room).
* Bridges connected to room edges fall without errors.
* Build Marker "Remove Item" no longer causes errors.

Confirmed 'Issues' Left
* Guards/Stalwarts don't know that stepping off oremites changes their sword direction.
* First turn briar growth chokes multiple roots, limiting proper growth.
* Hitting forward after watching a "corrupt" demo that ends in death allows the demo to continue, also making an assertion beep.
* Master Walls still have their current problems with demos, mirrors and scripting.
* Fegundo and Wraithwing NPCs still depress pressure plates at all times.
* Brains still cannot track the Beethro player role properly immediately after a player role change, until Beethro moves. They also still can't target a player role that has just lost stealth until the next turn.
* Lightning and red squares still display incorrectly when a non-Beethro player must place a double on the same turn it changed Player Role.
* Undo during double placement seems finicky. You can undo during placement only if you did not use Undo last turn. If you have, then no Undo is possible, and you must place the double to continue. (Personally, I still agree with Pinnacle in that undo should go back to the last player turn, rather than revert the last command - same with Questions, really. But that's another thing entirely and not connected to this particular fix)
* Building bombs and fuses on tops of briars still causes errors when the briar attempts to grow past it. Sorry, thought you already had this one, given the sneaky edit Mike did to my first post ^_^; Do you want me to properly bug report it now, or this enough?
* Adders can still move on top of stealthy player roles if the adder senses another target. This does not kill the player role. It does kill the Adder on the next turn if the player role can harm with its body though.
* Demos aren't saving. Or if they're saving, they're not being loaded properly. Attempts to save demos on several occassions result in an assertion beep for that level whenever the Demos screen is looked at afterwards, with the attempted saved demos not appearing. The error is: Assertion error in line 1226 of .\DemosScreen.cpp: "pDemo". I also got Assertion error in line 60 of .\DbDemos.cpp: "!"Bad demo ID."" when deleting the hold, and Assertion error in line 350 of .\Db.cpp: "demoIndex.find(demoID) == demoIndex.end()" Assertion error in line 351 of .\Db.cpp: "demosHoldIndex.find(demoID) == demosHoldIndex.end()" when attempting to view a saved demo for a new hold without previous demos.
* On a similar note, after deleting the errored hold, I started getting Assertion error in line 574 of .\DbDemos.cpp: "!"SavedGameID is foreign key to nowhere."" after every playtest session in the editor, no matter the hold.

Apparent New Issues
* For some reason, I can't change level styles anymore. While levels that have different styles work fine and can be edited, any attempt to change them ends up with the level adopting City style. Clicking on City gives me the following error: Assertion error in line 152 of .\DrodBitmapManager.cpp: "!style.empty()".
* At some time during my testing, the text "Moves made", "Monsters killed", "Chat while playing" and "Ignore chats not directed to me" vanished from the Current game info screen. They reappeared when I restarted DROD, and the rest of the test was still there even when the others vanished. After some more testing, this seems to happen immediately after upgrading my data files. Since it fixes itself after restart, I'm not sure how much of a problem this is, or whether it may reoccur.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-12-2007 03:38 PM]
08-12-2007 at 07:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Dolan42 wrote:
OK, fixed it. The embedded manifest is incorrect. I overwrote it with the manifest from 3.0.2 and it launched correctly.
I didn't include a manifest file in the patch, so I'm not sure what's happening here. You're talking about Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest, right? Would you attach the one you used that works correctly here and also the one that works incorrectly?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-12-2007 at 03:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580

File: drod-tcb.bin.gz (1.5 MB)
Downloaded 21 times.
License: Other
icon Re: 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Linux) (+2)  
Here's a build of the 3.1 candidate for Linux, for ye adventurous souls! Here be dragons!

If you don't mind fighting dragons and the like, you can make a backup of your drod-tcb.bin/drod-tcb-demo.bin executable and the ~/.caravel directory, gunzip the attached executable and replace the old one. Then launch it (through the wrapper script) and marvel at the lack of old bugs and, apparently, because we're such nice and generous people here, the presence of some new bugs too for you to befriend and play with. Most importantly though, there's a new and shiny version number in the upper right. Yay!

08-12-2007 at 03:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Monkey
Rank Points: 190
TCB fails to open with the 3.1.0build42 patch on Vista. Here's the exact words.

08-12-2007 at 06:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dolan42

File: manifest.txt (968 bytes)
Downloaded 32 times.
mrimer wrote:
I didn't include a manifest file in the patch, so I'm not sure what's happening here. You're talking about Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest, right? Would you attach the one you used that works correctly here and also the one that works incorrectly?
Nope, there is a manifest embedded in drod.exe. Attached is a listing of the 3.1 and 3.0.2 manifests.

08-12-2007 at 06:14 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Dolan42 wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Nope, there is a manifest embedded in drod.exe. Attached is a listing of the 3.1 and 3.0.2 manifests.
Heh. Looks like 3.1 was compiled with VS2005 SP1, which has it's own redistributables that, with the manifest that is then included, need to be installed on the user's PC for the executable to even launch... :?

Including a custom manifest similar to the 3.0.2 one fixes this, though. I've had the same problem with my ffdshow builds at first...

So to make 3.1 work in the meantime users can download and install the VC++ redistributables I linked to above.

np: Pan Sonic - Lautturi / Rafter (Kesto (234.48:4) (Disc 1))

08-12-2007 at 06:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer

File: Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest (491 bytes)
Downloaded 23 times.
I understand that a workaround for this issue is to update the version number listed in the .manifest file. I've done that in the attached file. Would someone verify overwriting the Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest file with this one works after applying the 3.1 patch to get DROD to run?

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-12-2007 08:36 PM]
08-12-2007 at 08:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dolan42
mrimer wrote:
I understand that a workaround for this issue is to update the version number listed in the .manifest file. I've done that in the attached file. Would someone verify overwriting the Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest file with this one works after applying the 3.1 patch to get DROD to run?
That file doesn't help. The problem is with the manifest embedded as a resource in drod.exe. I used Resource Tuner to edit the manifest to change it to be the same as the 3.0.2 version and the program launched properly.

08-12-2007 at 08:50 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I applied the 3.1.0.42 patch to 3.0.2 and everything seems to be working fine (XP SP2). SWitching rooms still seems slightly rather though...
08-12-2007 at 09:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jmpava
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
icon Re: 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (+2)  
Haven't tried the patch yet, but I wanted to throw out something about the manifest issue people are seeing, because we ran into it at work. Forgive me if this is stuff you all already know.

WinSxS is the 'new' way of dealing with DllHell that MS put up - basically, in addition to referencing libraries by name or GUID, you also reference them by specific version number (that's the point of the manifest) - this means that you can have as many different versions of the exact same files installed on your machine (Note: This is one of the reasons Vista is bloated, they've got every single different version of every MS file out there or something).

So, with Vs7 and Vs7.1, all that mattered is that the user running the software had any version of MSVCR71 (or whatever) installed on their comp at runtime. But with VS8, you need to have the SPECIFIC version of MSVCR8 installed (and it needs to actually be installed, not just copies placed in a particular directory). Also, normal windows tools like dependency walker doesn't handle these interactions very well, so it's difficult to get diagnostic info.

As Briareos mentioned earlier, what probably happened is that 3.1 was built using the SP1 version of VSC++8, and the earlier versions were using the RTM version - and due to WinSxS, these now rely on two completly different runtime redists. I don't recall which version the C++ 8 RTM is, but I know the SP1 version is 8.0.50727.762 which matches the new item in the manifest Dolan42 attached.

So, the short of that is that the easy fix would be for the DROD install to include the VS C++ 8 SP1 Redist in the installation. Assuming that dependency is really supposed to be there, of course, which I can't speak on not being at all familiar with the TCB source itself - if it's not, altering the included manifest may be overall easier.

By the way, you can 'easily' see what versions you have installed by going to C:\windows\WinSxS and looking at the directory names there - they'll say something like x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_6b128700 (thats the SP1 version). Note there are specific interactions with those folders, and policies and manifests that I don't really understand but my impression is you can't just copy files in, you really do need to run the redist installs.

[Last edited by jmpava at 08-12-2007 09:51 PM]
08-12-2007 at 09:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
jmpava wrote:
By the way, you can 'easily' see what versions you have installed by going to C:\windows\WinSxS and looking at the directory names there - they'll say something like x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_6b128700 (thats the SP1 version). Note there are specific interactions with those folders, and policies and manifests that I don't really understand but my impression is you can't just copy files in, you really do need to run the redist installs.
There are workarounds for actually installing the WinSxS files -- as observed in 3.0, you'll see TCB runs by including the external .manifest and two .dlls in the .exe's directory, and the user doesn't need to install anything further to get the VS 2005-built DROD app to run on any foreign machine.

Dolan42 wrote: That file doesn't help. The problem is with the manifest embedded as a resource in drod.exe.
I don't understand what you mean -- I tuned the external .manifest file to match the DLL version listed within the .exe, so I don't see what the problem would be. Sorry, I just need some clarification. Are you saying you actually tried using the modified .manifest file and it didn't work?

Man...I can't even remember updating VS 2005 to SP1, but I do see that my VS 2005 is saying it isn't registered again all of a sudden, and the activation code I get when I request it from their site doesn't work. Bah. Maybe I'll try just using that resource tuner for now to make the .exe's work. Thanks for the tip.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-13-2007 02:04 AM]
08-13-2007 at 01:25 AM
Dolan42
mrimer wrote:
I don't understand what you mean -- I tuned the external .manifest file to match the DLL version listed within the .exe, so I don't see what the problem would be. Sorry, I just need some clarification. Are you saying you actually tried using the modified .manifest file and it didn't work?
Yep, I tried the .manifest and it still would not run. The problem is that the drod.exe file has it's own manifest embedded as a resource and that manifest says that dord.exe requires 2 different versions of Microsoft.VC80.CRT. DROD will run if you change the embedded manifest to only require Microsoft.VC80.CRT version 8.0.50608.0 so it does not seem to actually need the other version, but because the manifest says it requires it the program will not launch.

08-13-2007 at 02:46 AM
mrimer
Dolan42 wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Yep, I tried the .manifest and it still would not run. The problem is that the drod.exe file has it's own manifest embedded as a resource and that manifest says that dord.exe requires 2 different versions of Microsoft.VC80.CRT. DROD will run if you change the embedded manifest to only require Microsoft.VC80.CRT version 8.0.50608.0 so it does not seem to actually need the other version, but because the manifest says it requires it the program will not launch.
Okay, I've used Resource Tuner to remove the new manifest dependency from the .exe and reposted the patch installer to the first post. It contains an .exe that should run.

Edit: This is an annoying extra step, of course, and not having to perform it each build and being required to buy extra software is what I'm shooting for rather than this short-term solution. I have some questions maybe Dolan42 or someone else could answer:
* Maybe disabling the "Embed Manifest" option in the project settings would make the .exe just work from now on as long as the required DLLs are there?
* Or is there a way to specify what dependencies are embedded in the .exe in VS2005?
* Even by tweaking a configuration script somewhere in the VS 2005 installation that specifies how the embedded manifest is generated?

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-13-2007 03:21 AM]
08-13-2007 at 03:15 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I will say again though, it worked for me with no problem. Maybe it's a localised issue? Then again, 3.0.2 has worked no problem either so maybe I'm just lucky.
08-13-2007 at 03:42 AM
Dolan42
icon Re: 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (+2)  
To edit the manifest go to the Project menu and make sure Show All Files is selected, then edit the drod.exe.intermediate.manifest file.

08-13-2007 at 04:05 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Syntax wrote:
I will say again though, it worked for me with no problem. Maybe it's a localised issue? Then again, 3.0.2 has worked no problem either so maybe I'm just lucky.
Oh, 3.1 as it was would have worked for anyone if they had the VC 2005 SP1 redistributables I linked to above installed, as they install the file that was missing in your Windows directory - and it's not totally unlikely that some other program you have installed did that already...

08-13-2007 at 08:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Golfdinger
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
Heh, the amount of space required is 3.1 MB...

Anyway, if you now get slaughtered by hot tiles, gore starts splattering. I think that this was not so supposed to happen.
08-13-2007 at 02:23 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Well, you could sidestep the entire SxS issue by cross-compiling with mingw32-gcc (eg from your Mac, cygwin might work too). Not exactly convenient if you usually work in VS though -_-

08-13-2007 at 02:29 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I can't get past the update screen in the 3.1 patch. It says that DROD couldn't update the data files and then it quits. Reinstalling doesn't help: the game crashes when I import a player or when I make a new player.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

08-18-2007 at 03:58 PM
Monkey
Rank Points: 190
You are running Vista, right? Right-click on the link, and press "Run as administrator".

08-18-2007 at 04:08 PM
Jeff_Ray...
It still crashes when I make a new player or import one.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

08-18-2007 at 04:12 PM
Mazer
Rank Points: 162
I seem unable to import newer versions of holds. I hear a lot of beeps, and when DROD says "Checking demo integrity", it crashes.

Also, when the player enters a room and steps on a pre-placed clone, the clone is not killed. This causes them to be piled on top of each other, and errors occur after switching clones.

Here's what drod.err has.

EDIT: The hold did get updated, but I lost all of my progress. :~(

[Last edited by Mazer at 08-19-2007 02:03 PM]
08-18-2007 at 06:17 PM
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
Did you fixed the Imperative "Required Target" bugs?

08-18-2007 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
From what TFMurphy said, they should. But I really need help for fixing the crash with 3.1! Does anyone know what to do?

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

08-18-2007 at 09:21 PM
sam3212
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 6
um i cart even get the P.C. not the com to run :thumbsdown

[Last edited by sam3212 at 09-01-2007 06:44 AM]
08-31-2007 at 03:48 PM
magevet
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
icon Re: 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Linux) (0)  
the following bug still exists in 3.1 for linux:
NPC: Deprecated Instructor type is converted to a Citizen 4.

also, it tells me it's a beta that's going to expire in 8 days (even though i bought the full version)
09-03-2007 at 04:41 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
The beta feature is used by Caravel to make sure that if beta builds escape captivity, they can't be used instead of the actual game, and eventually, the program will become completely useless (it doesn't actually matter to the testers, as they all get a full copy of the game once it comes out).

As for the correction, I think he's saying that the conversion is supposed to happen, not that it doesn't.
09-04-2007 at 03:58 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Linux) (0)  
magevet wrote:
the following bug still exists in 3.1 for linux:
NPC: Deprecated Instructor type is converted to a Citizen 4.
With coppro's addendum I still don't understand. This behavior should be the intended behavior. Are we saying it doesn't happen this way, but it should? (Edit: Ah, right. The instructor type should not be changed from previous builds, but it will have the citizen4 portrait in 3.0, which is the correct behavior.)
also, it tells me it's a beta that's going to expire in 8 days (even though i bought the full version)
Yes, please don't use or distribute beta builds. They won't work.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-05-2007 05:53 AM]
09-04-2007 at 06:17 PM
Page 4 of 11
5678>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.1 TCB Patch (Windows) (Build 54)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com