Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.1 TCB Patch (Windows) (Build 54)
Page 3 of 11
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1309
IP: Logged
icon Re: 3.0.2 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (+1)  
It's not stored in the registry but in DataPath.txt - which is crucial for the Unices and should not be backed up, forcing DROD to autogenerate a new one.
05-04-2007 at 02:52 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: 3.0.2 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (+3)  
coppro wrote:
It's not stored in the registry but in DataPath.txt - which is crucial for the Unices and should not be backed up, forcing DROD to autogenerate a new one.
Ah, okay - I didn't look that close at it. But since you pointed me at it and since I'm using Windows I just changed it from
C:\Programs\DROD - The City Beneath\Data;C:\Programs\DROD - The City Beneath\Data;
to
.\Data;.\Data;
and set the "Start in:" field of my DROD shortcut on the desktop to
"C:\Programs\DROD - The City Beneath\"
And voilą - it works, and should keep working when you just backup the whole DROD shebang.

Just in case someone plans to do some experimenting - when you just copy folders around in Explorer, it's pretty easy to forget to remove the DataPath.txt and that in turn makes it pretty easy to unintentionally wedge your datafiles. With this change, I'll either fail (and overwrite the DataPath.txt while it's at it, so setting it to read-only might be a good idea) or use the correct data path, i.e. the one the DROD.exe is in.

Maybe DROD should prompt before upgrading the datafile format? It's (probably) only done once in a blue moon, so why not?

np: Burnt Friedman & Jaki Liebezeit - Royal Roost (Secret Rhythms)

[Last edited by Briareos at 05-04-2007 04:13 PM]
05-04-2007 at 04:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2485
icon Re: 3.0.2 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (0)  
Tangential question: When does the spider get patched? I just want to now if I should bother redoing rooms yet.
05-05-2007 at 03:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
I just got the patch.
The little "Exit (Esc) and Help F1" in the southwest corner has disappeared, and you still exit if you click at the spot it ought to be at, that seems quite weird...

Edit: Wait it's there now... that's really weird...

[Last edited by Rheb at 05-05-2007 07:04 PM]
05-05-2007 at 05:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rheb wrote:
I just got the patch.
The little "Exit (Esc) and Help F1" in the southwest corner has disappeared, and you still exit if you click at the spot it ought to be at, that seems quite weird...
That's strange - it's still there for me...

np: Tim Hecker - Spectral (Radio Amor)

05-05-2007 at 06:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jmpava
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
Briareos wrote:
Maybe DROD should prompt before upgrading the datafile format? It's (probably) only done once in a blue moon, so why not?

Yeah, I definitely agree! Then, if I still mess up, at least I KNOW it's completely my fault. :lol I went ahead and filed an enhancement request on this one.

05-05-2007 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5408
Rabscuttle wrote:
Tangential question: When does the spider get patched? I just want to now if I should bother redoing rooms yet.
When the patch is final and (hopefully) all behavior changes are final. The spider is going to have to re-verify a HUGE number of demos, and I really don't want to have to do them twice.

05-06-2007 at 03:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
coppro
Hmm... after using my custom (but unedited) copy of 3.0.2, it seems that lights are having too much of an effect. Mike, I can send you the hold file and some pics, but I'd rather not post them here, as it's for the contest.
05-07-2007 at 12:27 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5106
coppro wrote:
Hmm... after using my custom (but unedited) copy of 3.0.2, it seems that lights are having too much of an effect. Mike, I can send you the hold file and some pics, but I'd rather not post them here, as it's for the contest.
Sure, but I'm not able to look at stuff until at least this weekend, and maybe nto even till next weekend or later. (Farewell to 40+ hour Caravel work weeks...) Feel free to send stuff my way, but I'll only respond when I've gotten around to looking at it.

As an aside -- since 3.0.2 has a couple major issues...maybe more major than any of the various bugs in 3.0.0, I think I'm not going to recommend anyone try out the current patch any longer until we fix up the outstanding issues. It seems to be messing up too many peoples' DROD installations...things I'm not able to help them fix. I don't want to cause people grief, so I'm going to update the first post and recommend people wait on trying the 3.0.2 rev2 patch unless they want to see what trouble looks like first-hand. :/

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-10-2007 at 07:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2460
So. What's a good way to revert to 3.0.0? :-)
05-10-2007 at 10:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Tahnan wrote:
I guess it involves exporting your player, reinstalling DROD and importing your player again - unless the export format changed as well, but I don't think so...

05-10-2007 at 10:29 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
Briareos wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
I guess it involves exporting your player, reinstalling DROD and importing your player again - unless the export format changed as well, but I don't think so...
Sounds good to me. I think it may also work to export and import holds, except that character scripts will end up blank. But don't try it without proper backup precautions. I may write a utility to help convert hold files from 3.0.2r2 to 3.0.0... but not this week, sorry.
05-10-2007 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jmpava
See my (second) post on 3 May (the one where everything blows up). Exported player data from 3.0.2r2 should import just fine into 3.0.0.

05-11-2007 at 03:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2460
Actually, my real concern is this hold that I've got that's full of speech that I really, really don't want to lose. And which I can't export.
05-11-2007 at 04:53 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
DROD crashes upon selecting another hold in the Change Location menu.

And I lost ALL MY PROGRESS again!

Foul patches... >=(

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

05-12-2007 at 03:39 PM
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
Briareos wrote:
Tahnan wrote:

Is this really necessary? I made a copy of my data directory before trying 3.02. Would it be enough to reinstall TCB 3.0 and just copy that directory into it? Or do I really have to go through the export/import ordeal?
05-19-2007 at 05:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
if you have a 3.0 copy of your data dir, them, yes, you can simply insert that and go. some people wouldn't want to if they made any significant progress using 3.0.2r2 and didn't want to lose that progress, but this is the safest option available to anyone who was clever enough to backup their .dat files before trying the patch :)

05-19-2007 at 06:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neathro
Meh. would vista cause crashes and nasty sraping noises??? :unsure

05-19-2007 at 06:22 AM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
Neathro wrote:
Meh. would vista cause crashes and nasty sraping noises??? :unsure
Probably, but not because of DROD. :fun

[Last edited by Stefan at 05-19-2007 06:33 AM]
05-19-2007 at 06:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neathro
rev2 + vista = booom
rev2 + xp = :fun :fun :fun

05-19-2007 at 10:44 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Per this conversation:

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=8559&page=0#185557

It appears that 3.0.2 may break scripting in some way?

05-19-2007 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
It changes the file format somewhat, making them incompatible.
05-19-2007 at 10:51 PM
Bingbing
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
Sorry, but the patch isn't working with the demo.

You will not give me a copy of TCB.

06-08-2007 at 11:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Neathro wrote:
rev2 + vista = booom

I know that, under Vista, programs that make changes to Program Files have their changes written away in the user profile. Of course, those programs then attempt to read in their changes from Program Files, which will happily go and get the unmodified file.

This might cause some problems for DROD - in particular, Vista forces DROD to keep separate imported levels for each user.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 06-13-2007 03:22 AM]
06-13-2007 at 03:19 AM
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
icon Re: 3.0.2 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (+2)  
I've had no problems with Vista and DROD and different player accounts yet. If anyone has this problem, I would reccomend trying to do the following:

1. Go to the folder where DROD is installed and open the folders properties.
2. Go to the 'Security' tab, then click 'Edit'. Give all users appearing there full control of the folder, then confirm the changes. If it disallows this, follow steps 3-6. If it works, do nothing else.
3. Click 'Advanced' instead of 'Edit'. Then click 'Owner', then click 'Edit'.
4. Make it so that all users own the folder (If there is only one user account used, select that one.)(If users doesn't appear, click 'Other Users and Groups' then type 'users' into the large box. Then click check names, and select the new name. Then make it the owner.)
5. Close all property windows, confirming all changes made.
6. Re-open the properties window, and repeat step 2. If the problem persists, follow step 7. Otherwise, do nothing else.
7. Go to 'Sharing' instead of 'Security' and click 'Advanced Sharing.' If a UAC message appears, allow the action. Then click share this folder.

06-13-2007 at 01:34 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Pilchard VIII wrote:
I've had no problems with Vista and DROD and different player accounts yet. If anyone has this problem, I would reccomend trying to do the following:

1. Go to the folder where DROD is installed and open the folders properties.
2. Go to the 'Security' tab, then click 'Edit'. Give all users appearing there full control of the folder, then confirm the changes. If it disallows this, follow steps 3-6. If it works, do nothing else.
3. Click 'Advanced' instead of 'Edit'. Then click 'Owner', then click 'Edit'.
4. Make it so that all users own the folder (If there is only one user account used, select that one.)(If users doesn't appear, click 'Other Users and Groups' then type 'users' into the large box. Then click check names, and select the new name. Then make it the owner.)
5. Close all property windows, confirming all changes made.
6. Re-open the properties window, and repeat step 2. If the problem persists, follow step 7. Otherwise, do nothing else.
7. Go to 'Sharing' instead of 'Security' and click 'Advanced Sharing.' If a UAC message appears, allow the action. Then click share this folder.

Yes, giving everyone administrative access to the DROD folder will also work (this is how Vista does installs after all) but it's not an optimal solution.

06-20-2007 at 06:10 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
How do I keep my holds intact? I don't want to have to redo everything again...

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-03-2007 at 11:35 PM
coppro
Export and use silver's downgrade program would be my best recommendation.

Or wait until rev3 comes out, which should be much more stable, and just use that. It should be backwards-compatible (although it uses a new new hold format).

EDIT: Actually, it's Stefan's program. The advice still applies, though.

[Last edited by coppro at 07-04-2007 05:16 PM]
07-03-2007 at 11:37 PM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
So... any plans for when rev3 is coming out? 'Cause my drod.err has almost 2 MB and I really don't want to revert to the even dumber Stalwart (since I'm building something that involves Stalwarts a lot...)
07-04-2007 at 02:13 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5106
icon 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (+1)  
I've uploaded a 3.1 patch candidate to the first post.

This build is uploaded so individuals experienced in testing may verify bugs marked off as having been fixed on this board have been successfully squashed. Do not expect this build to be bug free -- all threads still marked with a yellow arrow on the Bugs Board have something that remains to be addressed for 3.1. I respectfully request that anyone who doesn't know how to backup and restore their DROD data in the event there is data loss refrain from applying this patch until a final 3.1 patch is released on the Caravel Games Download page.

That being said, there have been a lot of good fixes and improvements in this build. I'm just gunshy after the serious issues that cropped up in 3.0.2 -- these should be fixed now, but may not be. If you know what you're doing, then go right on over to the first post and read through the revisions for 3.1!

Edit: serious outstanding issues: demos are lost and no longer saved after upgrading from 3.0 to 3.1

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-12-2007 04:14 PM]
08-12-2007 at 01:36 AM
Page 3 of 11
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.1 TCB Patch (Windows) (Build 54)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com