Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Moment of Silence
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1133
IP: Logged
icon Re: Moment of Silence (0)  
It's that time again...

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

09-11-2009 at 08:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I find it intriguing that the rest of the world seems to have gotten over much larger losses of life just /fine/.
09-11-2009 at 12:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
You forget the power of film, Banj.
09-11-2009 at 12:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
The tsunami of 2004 killed many multiples of 9/11, I doubt many people can even guess the month it's happend.
09-11-2009 at 06:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
WWII was countless millions.

9/11 was 'fewer than the number of americans who killed each other that year'.

SENSE OF PROPORTION PLEASE.
09-11-2009 at 06:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Moment of Silence (+4)  
I think it's safe to say that the overall impact of 9/11 extends considerably beyond the number of dead and injured.

Consider: Two wars.

There was also the considerable psychological effect of the first significant attack on US soil in 70 years.

These things do matter.

I'm not interested in any sort of political discussion here, but I don't find anything unusual in people taking a moment to respectfully remember this event, and I think that ridiculing people who do is uncalled for.

Josh

09-11-2009 at 06:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
It was not an attack. It was a criminal act, as it was not sponsored by any one country. Otherwise a international mafia organisation that is in bed with... say figi, and breaks a law is also an attack.
09-11-2009 at 07:51 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Moment of Silence (+1)  
NiroZ I should knife you and then claim it was not an attack because I am not a country. It was an attack on America by a power based outside of America. That that power was not a sovereign political entity recognized by the U.N. does not change the fact that it should have been prevented by American security.

If you're going to pick nits, at least pick legitimate ones.

09-11-2009 at 08:46 PM
NiroZ
If your going to twist my words and sidetrack yourself, pick something worth doing it over.

It was not an attack in the sense that there was a country attacking another country.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 09-11-2009 09:44 PM]
09-11-2009 at 09:42 PM
Jatopian
icon Re: Moment of Silence (+2)  
I don't recall anyone but you specifying that it was by another country, so I think that's you twisting everyone else's words.

09-11-2009 at 10:39 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
jbluestein wrote:
Consider: Two wars.
Then I'd suggest having a moment of silence for the victims of the two wars.

09-12-2009 at 11:39 AM
NoahT
It's time for another one, and hopefully we can get through the related controversies this year as well.

-Noah

My stuff:

09-11-2010 at 11:15 PM
rman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 371
Alas. :( Quoting my yesterday WLM status, "Let us remember those who died nine years ago." The most horrible thing is that there was somebody who didn't understand what I was about.

Hm, I think I'm a bit late.

[Last edited by rman at 09-12-2010 09:28 PM]
09-12-2010 at 08:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Hard to believe it's the tenth anniversary already.

-Noah

My stuff:

09-12-2011 at 04:01 AM
Banjooie
icon Re: Moment of Silence (+5)  
It's been ten years.

The guy responsible is, apparently, dead.

In 2001, 16,037 reported homicides(1) occurred in the United States of America. Five times. Five times the amount that happened in the World Trade Center. And that's just Americans, killing Americans.

Since then, it's been an average of 16,000 a year. It's held steady. So 160,000 Americans have died at their own countrymen's hands since 9/11. Not in the line of service in the military, busy staffing 7/11s and stealing TVs and being fat or whatever.

The only reasonable way to consider this even remotely still interesting is basically to be upset that those nasty foreigners did it. You can't just arbitrarily say 'well the loss of life IN ONE DAY' because Mother Nature does that all the the time in other countries.

If anything, it's becoming a symbol basically of American grief at realizing they aren't actually separate and above the rest of the world. Which, too, is a thing! America being taught that it is in fact just as vulnerable to pain and strife as the rest of the world is incredible and valuable BUT YOU'RE STILL ALL COMPLETELY BAFFLED TEN YEARS LATER.

England and Spain had similar incidents. Israel gets bombed every freaking day. This is what happens everywhere in the world that isn't North America or particular parts of Europe on a semi-regular basis. Calm down.

(1) http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm
09-12-2011 at 07:35 AM
Jatopian
icon Re: Moment of Silence (+4)  
I think America's reaction to the event has more or less worn out the sympathy deserved, as well. In light of the imprudent and questionably justified invasion of Iraq, the implementation of overall detrimental measures like the TSA and Patriot Act, and the baffling inability to enact such obviously positive and right measures as health care for first responders, a curious picture emerges of a nation so paralyzed with fear and distrust that it is abandoning the virtues which made it great - in other words, a nation that has allowed the terrorists to win.

09-12-2011 at 08:35 AM
NoahT
I suppose it is worth noting this anniversary that the World Trade Center has now reclaimed the title of New York's tallest structure, and is being rebuilt by union labor. While I am no capitalist and don't consider the making buildings as tall as possible to be such a huge deal, I thought this was worth mentioning.

-Noah

My stuff:

09-12-2012 at 02:59 AM
NoahT
I decided that on this anniversary it is also worth mentioning that it is also the 40th anniversary of the coup that established the brutal Pinochet regime in Chile, just to put things in perspective.

-Noah

My stuff:

09-12-2013 at 07:14 AM
NoahT
I suppose it isn't too late to bump this up once to more to remember today's anniversary.

My stuff:

[Last edited by NoahT at 03-20-2018 04:46 AM]
09-12-2014 at 06:07 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I certainly always have time to give a moment of my life to respect the dead. Was a horrific attack and my thoughts are with them
09-13-2014 at 02:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Moment of Silence
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes