Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : And the December Surprise... (SubTerra II release candidate)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
IP: Logged
icon Re: And the December Surprise... (0)  
Woah, there, Stew Boy! Lay back on stuff like that. There might be others who don't know yet.

And, @ Radiant, I can't thank you enough for finally finishing it. Except for the annoying scroll engine in the tutorial levels, this is incredible!
You know, I heard about SubTerra Two quite a long time ago, but back then I couldn't get it to work; I think it redirected me to a page that expired.

Is it to late to make a suggestion? I would like for fuse boxes to be treated like normal wires . . . as in, you could have a fuse box be next to a trap and then it would be counted as an input (and so the wire wouldn't be broken). Also, a circuit could go through multiple fuse boxes in a row instead of just one. This way, it could be like embedding wires in walls (so that you don't have to worry about using gates).

I guess it's too late to make changes to the properties of stuff, though. I mean, you already have levels.

But maybe you could try and have something that lets you change the properties of stuff like that, kinda like how you did for the original, non-released SubTerra (the one that was supposed to emulate the other Boulder Dash clones).

Okay, sorry for the long post, but I have three more things to add.

One, I tried using the secret code found in the help thing, but it only worked the first time I did it.

Two, which patch (if either) is for fixing the scrolling?

And, three . . . Shoot, I forgot it. Well, I'll edit this post if it comes to me.

12-31-2006 at 07:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
Kwakstur wrote:
One, I tried using the secret code found in the help thing, but it only worked the first time I did it.
Wow. What did it do? It's never worked for me.
12-31-2006 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
I'm not sure. When I did it, I just walked around the level before I realized I choose a bad level to test its effects. I think it made me invincible, because I remember something like an elevator block falling on me, but I quit immediately to try it on another level. I wanted to try it on Avoid so that I can safely go on the water, but it didn't work when I typed it up 50 times in front of Avoid. Looks like I have to do that one the hard way.

Maybe there's a certain way you have to type it? I don't know, maybe I held shift instead of control (and maybe you're not supposed to use control?). I would try again right now, but I'm busy DRODing.

12-31-2006 at 09:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Darkmatt
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
"We All Fall Down"?

There's also a Lemmings level with the same name. Which shows up 4 times, once for each difficulty.
12-31-2006 at 10:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
Radiant! wrote:
Do people think the tutorial is clear enough?
I know I do. However, the scrolling is kind of funky in the tutorial levels. Every now and again I had to guess where my player was, thanks to the "room"-style scrolling when my player ended up off the screen.

I also found a small but annoying bug. Whenever I close ST2, it somehow gets stuck, and I end up with a blank screen and one of the music loops playing. It doesn't affect the rest of my computer, fortunately, since I just use Ctrl-Alt-Delete to terminate the program. (BTW, this also happens to me with ST1, but not often.)

Click here to view the secret text

01-01-2007 at 01:32 AM
The Stew Boy
Okay, this is what the cheat code does:

...as far as I can tell. It works every time for me, just hold ctrl and type it. Also it only works for levels that you've uncovered already.

[Last edited by The Stew Boy at 01-01-2007 02:01 AM]
01-01-2007 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant!
Rank Points: 24
Kwakstur wrote:
Is it to late to make a suggestion?
For this particular suggestion, yes.

But maybe you could try and have something that lets you change the properties of stuff like that, kinda like how you did for the original, non-released SubTerra (the one that was supposed to emulate the other Boulder Dash clones).
I'm afraid I don't understand the question.

Two, which patch (if either) is for fixing the scrolling?
The latter.

Darkmatt wrote:
There's also a Lemmings level with the same name. Which shows up 4 times, once for each difficulty.
Yes :)

The Stew Boy wrote:
Okay, this is what the cheat code does:
Oh, that's a bug. It should give you the lifebelt, not the shield. Will fix that.

01-01-2007 at 05:56 AM
View Profile Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
There's a slight bug with the "You've attained next rank" eagle type splash screen. If you've just reached it, then quit the game without completing anything more, then come back... the screen reappears as though you'd just reached it for the first time.

Maybe that's intended, I'm not sure.
01-01-2007 at 01:58 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Ooh! Nice! Now, only one little question - is there any way to get a non-Wine version?

Okay, I'm playing, and the screen scrolling on the second level in the first row is messed up. It seems to pick the scrolling points right in the middle of the areas. I'm playing through Wine, so that may be a nice tool for bugfinding. Also, you have to move past the square outside the screen to scroll, as opposed to onto it.

Oh, and when I alt-tabbed out, it didn't crash, though I think that it's Wine, not anything else.

In the 3rd tutorial, two hints say "If you die, you can continue from the last save disk you picked up". The second should probably mention spikes instead.

[Last edited by coppro at 01-01-2007 07:10 PM]
01-01-2007 at 06:47 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant!
Updated with the above bugs fixed.

http://crystalshard.net/subdown.htm

People unwilling to download 5 Mb again are advised to get the patch instead.

http://crystalshard.net/dls/Patch1.zip
01-01-2007 at 08:44 PM
coppro
Is Theme and Variations even possible? I always die because the demon blows me up before I can get away.

Also, there should probably be a tutorial explaining the reversing properties of wires.

[Last edited by coppro at 01-02-2007 12:56 AM]
01-02-2007 at 12:55 AM
coppro
Here's a big one:

If a demon is killed by a falling boulder and doesn't produce an amethyst, then you can't go onto the square he died on.
01-02-2007 at 01:35 AM
The Stew Boy
coppro wrote:
Is Theme and Variations even possible? I always die because the demon blows me up before I can get away.

Also, there should probably be a tutorial explaining the reversing properties of wires.

Theme and Variations is one of my levels (how come everybody's problems are with my levels?) and yes it is possible, otherwise Radiant wouldn't have accepted it.
01-02-2007 at 02:15 AM
coppro
I think that the "Beehive Tiles" should be black not white, and some of the help files need fixing. Also, if I access help from any method other than the menu, it just keeps displaying changing gibberish, sometimes I can exit, and sometimes not. Lastly, in a two-player level, if the player with screen focus dies, then the screen goes back to the start, instead of the other player.
01-02-2007 at 05:04 AM
Radiant!
coppro wrote:
Is Theme and Variations even possible?
Yes. That's one of the main reasons why demo recording is in place; whenever I modify the game code, I replay all the demos to verify the levels still work.

It's all over the tutorial :) wires can turn on/off just about anything. What in particular did you have in mind?

coppro wrote:
Also, if I access help from any method other than the menu, it just keeps displaying changing gibberish, sometimes I can exit, and sometimes not.
Unable to reproduce. Can you please elaborate?

[Last edited by Radiant! at 01-02-2007 05:43 PM]
01-02-2007 at 05:36 PM
coppro
Well, it may be Wine, but if I press F1 in-game, it pops up with the help screen, which keeps displaying changing gunk. It's hard to describe otherwise.

Also, could you possibly make it possible to turn off the gem/key explosions? Some levels are nearly unplayable because they cause slowdowns.
01-02-2007 at 05:58 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Radiant! wrote:
coppro wrote:
Yes. That's one of the main reasons why demo recording is in place; whenever I modify the game code, I replay all the demos to verify the levels still work.
Yes, I can confirm that T&V is possible. Not only that, you can even finish without the very last part of that room.

Try to solve the level without using the last part (ie. the 5 key parts and the 4 boxes).

01-02-2007 at 10:28 PM
coppro
Tim wrote:
Radiant! wrote:
coppro wrote:
Yes, I can confirm that T&V is possible. Not only that, you can even finish without the very last part of that room.

Try to solve the level without using the last part (ie. the 5 key parts and the 4 boxes).

I just realized how dumb I am - I completely forgot about that key.
01-03-2007 at 12:11 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
What are those white circle things in Assorted Chambers? (I haven't played this far yet.)

[Last edited by Tim at 01-03-2007 12:27 AM]
01-03-2007 at 12:26 AM
coppro
icon Re: And the December Surprise... (+1)  
The ones with the SubTerra logo in them? Those are just walls that look nice.
01-03-2007 at 12:44 AM
The Stew Boy
And for some reason, Radiant took them out of the editor.
01-03-2007 at 12:47 AM
The Mystic
Rank Points: 18
The Stew Boy wrote:
how come everybody's problems are with my levels?
You're just lucky, I guess.

The only problems I've ever had with any of your levels is pulling my hair out trying to solve them. Though I have to admit, they're a fun challenge.

01-03-2007 at 06:03 AM
The Stew Boy
By the way Radiant, what does the cheat code

do?
01-03-2007 at 06:38 AM
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
The Mystic wrote:
You're just unlucky, I guess.
Fixed. :P

Keep posting,

01-03-2007 at 09:59 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Dunno if that has been mentionned, but in the editor, you can't enter more than one line of text in the help boxes. >_>

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

01-04-2007 at 05:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant!
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Dunno if that has been mentionned, but in the editor, you can't enter more than one line of text in the help boxes. >_>

You can press enter to make more lines :)

Other bugs fixed, per the usual download link, or this patch: http://crystalshard.net/dls/Patch1.zip
Also you can now disable 'detail mode' in the config menu to turn off the sparklies.

01-07-2007 at 11:22 PM
The Stew Boy
You haven't said what the cheat code does yet. :)
01-08-2007 at 12:17 AM
Radiant!
The Stew Boy wrote:
You haven't said what the cheat code does yet. :)

Oh yeah. It makes you invulnerable.

01-08-2007 at 10:59 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Two questions:

1. Can you still make a levelset of your levels for Subterra 2 if you have at least 50 good quality levels, and send them to you so you can pack the levels into a levelset?

2. Will there be a separate contest for Subterra 2 this year?

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

01-08-2007 at 06:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant!
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
1. Can you still make a levelset of your levels for Subterra 2 if you have at least 50 good quality levels, and send them to you so you can pack the levels into a levelset?
Sure, but 50 levels is a lot of work. I tend to prefer quality over quantity.

2. Will there be a separate contest for Subterra 2 this year?
No, I'll hold a single contest and consider both ST1 and ST2 levels.

01-08-2007 at 08:38 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : And the December Surprise... (SubTerra II release candidate)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com