Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Allow freely resizing DROD in windowed mode (Instead of forcing the 1:1 pixel windowed resolution)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
melvin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
IP: Logged
icon Allow freely resizing DROD in windowed mode (+2)  
Now there is a very big chance this is already fixed with all the improvements for fullscreen for 5.1.1, but I only found an ancient thread from 2005 https://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=5613.

With the current SDL2 builds on Steam, the game in windowed mode cannot be resized freely. However, if you use an utility to forcibly resize it and ignore the set constraints it works absolutely perfectly.

The game itself it aspect-scaled to the available area, with any excess (sides or top/bottom) turning into black bars as expected. SDL2 likely handles this all automatically.

I run on Linux so can't easily test the current beta, but if someone would check it would be much appreciated.

It should be a very small change telling SDL to allow complete free resizing (with a minimum size) and it's super useful on today's large 4k widescreen monitors, putting DROD on half of the screen and something else on the other half.

Cheers.

Click here to view the secret text

01-30-2022 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
melvin
icon Re: Allow freely resizing DROD in windowed mode (0)  
After some chat about this on the caravelchat Schik found out via https://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=44965&page=0#437776 that skell has already implemented this in https://github.com/CaravelGames/drod/pull/344 with INI option AllowWindowResizing.

At a glance it would seem better for this option to be on by default, or perhaps checkable in GUI settings. But there was some speculation that there is likely a reason it's off by default. Unsure for now.

Also, somehow I posted this in the bugs board, but it is (was) a feature request.

02-01-2022 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Lemme quote my answer:

Whatever the reasons were, they were probably bad. Maybe to avoid people accidentally resizing the window and being unhappy about not being able to easily resize it back to maintain 1:1 pixel ratio.

Looking at it right now I don't see a reason to not keep it enabled by default.

02-24-2022 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
PR

Thanks, hyperme!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-09-2022 at 05:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
melvin
Nice indeed, thanks a lot!

03-09-2022 at 05:16 PM
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Allow freely resizing DROD in windowed mode (+1)  
Can confirm the setting appears in 5.2.0.508 and works. Restarting the app brings you back to the original window size, which is a way to restore it back to the original size, so I guess that's what we want.
06-08-2023 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Allow freely resizing DROD in windowed mode (Instead of forcing the 1:1 pixel windowed resolution)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com