Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD RPG HD graphics using neural network upscaling
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
IP: Logged

File: RPG HD v02.zip (3 MB)
Downloaded 64 times.
License: Public Domain
icon DROD RPG HD graphics using neural network upscaling (+10)  
waifu2x is a neural network image upscaler trained on anime art. I wondered if it would be good at upscaling TSS's graphics so they can be used in RPG. RPG's current graphics are upscaled with technology from over 10 years ago, as such they tend to be blurry.

Attached to this post is some new graphics for the Aboveground, City and Deep Spaces styles. To install them, just extract the contents of the zip to the Data/Bitmaps folder of your RPG installation, and it will just work.

Note that these graphics are just simply the output of the upscaler with minimal edits. I wanted to crowdsource opinion on how it looked, and have people cast a critical eye and look for flaws so they can be touched up, or in the worst case, a new graphic can be drawn / replaced with the old graphic. As this is almost entirely agorithm driven, some things may look better than others, and I'm interested in seeing what people think so I can turn this into the best it can be, shy of actually gaining some art skills and redrawing everything (which is not happening).

Please install this graphic mod and play around with it in the editor. When in the editor, when you start testing all of the graphics will be reloaded, so you can e.g. rename one of the files to swap back to the original art for comparison.

If anybody wants to help with this they are welcome to do so. I am focusing more on Twisty Little Passages right now so any updates will be slow.

A couple of notes:
* DezzTech previously drew some things in HD, and these have been for the most part left untouched, because manually redrawn art is always going to look better. These are:
** Trapdoors
** The rock obstacles
** The hexagonal single-tile pedestal obstacle
* DezzTech redrew the DeepSpaces regular walls in HD, however the broken and secret walls were not redrawn, and as such looked blurry. When I upscaled the Deep Spaces wall tiles, the new upscales did not match the redrawn walls at all, and so just to see how they look I've replaced all of the walls with the upscales here, although I think DezzTech's regular walls looked better.
* DeepSpacesAlt and CityAlt are not included because the graphics in TSS are actually the original ones from JtRH and upscaling in waifu2x made no noticeable difference to what was in RPG already.
* CityPit is not included because it is already a large image and not one that upscaling provides any value to.
* DeepSpacesTiles is not in RPG, the Deep Spaces walls and obstacles are actually a part of GeneralTiles, hence why GeneralTiles is included. Eventually I plan to also upscale all of the monsters, but for now only part of that file has been updated.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 06-30-2019 11:11 AM]
06-29-2019 at 07:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar

File: AbovegroundComparison.png (2.3 MB)
Downloaded 664 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: DROD RPG HD graphics using neural network upscaling (+1)  
A screenshot for comparison. On the left is the current graphics, on the right is the new graphics.

06-29-2019 at 07:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
icon Re: DROD RPG HD graphics using neural network upscaling (+2)  
With zero downloads I guess people were not so interested in seeing RPG in glorious HD as I thought they might. I guess crowd-sourcing opinion might not be so worthwhile.

Anyway over the last day I took a closer look at some of the results. The good news is that this upscaler is particularly good at textures. It must be something about the way Alex drew the textures but it picks out important details really nicely. The cracks in floor, blades of grass, most of the game's big image textures scaled up very nicely with this filter. I've uploaded a version 2 of the zip file that contains most of the big textures for the 6 styles. I think these results look excellent. Note that some images are not included because they didn't look so good, for example FortressPit and FoundationPit, where the cracks became so large and detailed that it looked odd as a pit texture that's meant to be farther away, for both of these the existing texture is better in my view.

When I first found this upscaler I had high hopes of it scaling up the obstacles and sprites cleanly, however quick experiments show that to not be the case. Some obstacles like the bushes looked crisper but need manual clean up around the edges, while some like the skull piles were just awful, others merely OK. In the end I might come back to this and pick out and clean up any obstacles or other tiles that got good results, but it would only be a selection and require manual touchups.

This means that this isn't the golden ticket for easily importing the Gunthro and TSS styles into RPG because the obstacles would need more manual work, but it gets us halfway there by making good work of the larger textures. So I guess that particular project will be for another day.
06-30-2019 at 11:20 AM
batman
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
icon Re: DROD RPG HD graphics using neural network upscaling (0)  
Good job very impressive!

Too bad I don't own drod rpg.
10-01-2019 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Kieran, so excited to see this experiment and happy to see it turned out well. Thank you for taking the time to try out these improvements.

I'm inserting these updated graphics into the DROD RPG repository. They'll become available with the next major release, 1.3.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-30-2020 at 03:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
Most of these graphics look great, but there's one thing that worries me. The Aboveground dirt floor (the type around the tree in the screenshot) looks a lot better in the old graphics. It might be better to take it case-by-case rather than doing a blanket replacement of all the graphics. And I would like to see similar screenshots for the other styles that are being updated.

09-30-2020 at 03:51 PM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
Here's a very interesting video about waifu2x and other upscaling technologies. Worth the watch if you've got a spare half hour. Taran is particularly looking at it from the eyes of a video editor, but there are also things which are applicable to RPG.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by navithmastero at 09-30-2020 04:06 PM]
09-30-2020 at 04:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Nuntar wrote:
Most of these graphics look great, but there's one thing that worries me. The Aboveground dirt floor (the type around the tree in the screenshot) looks a lot better in the old graphics. It might be better to take it case-by-case rather than doing a blanket replacement of all the graphics. And I would like to see similar screenshots for the other styles that are being updated.
It was done on a case by case basis, but according to my own preferences. Personally I prefer the new Aboveground dirt. I explained in a post above that two of the pit textures did not get replaced because they ended up looking worse.

If you want to check them all out, you can download graphic files and rename or move them then press F2 ingame to reload the graphics (this might only work from the editor) and watch it change in front of your very eyes.

Happy to have feedback if any of them look bad, but I had no feedback at all in the 15 months this has been up, so I figured it was all OK.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 09-30-2020 04:57 PM]
09-30-2020 at 04:56 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
I much prefer the new dirt. It's impossible to make everyone happy. Some people even prefer the old pressure plates! :lol

09-30-2020 at 05:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
Schik wrote:
Some people even prefer the old pressure plates! :lol

That might be because they're better?

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

09-30-2020 at 05:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Programmer art at its finest, I say! :D

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-01-2020 at 05:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD RPG HD graphics using neural network upscaling
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com