Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Holds : Throw (Quick RPG Hold thing)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

5.9/10 (8 votes)
σ 1.17
Author Name:Xindaris
Submitted By:Xindaris
Hold Name:Throw
Theme:Quick RPG Hold thing
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:11
Number of Monsters:59
Version:DROD RPG: Tendry's Tale (1.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Throw.drh (3.4 KB)
Downloaded 166 times.
License: Other
icon Throw  
I threw an RPG hold together. There was general consensus that it was at least OK.

This is one level long, with no keys, accessories, or percentage damage. You can pick up all the stats if you want to.
09-18-2018 at 09:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
navithmastero
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 595
icon Re: Throw (+2)  
Just played through this, it's a single level RPG hold which I guess is Xindaris getting his feet wet in the RPG architecture business. This level is quick and easy to beat, as it's short and there aren't really a whole lot of choices. This, however, is what makes the hold feel lacking. Due to the length and lack of scope of the hold, it doesn't have that RPG magic of different and sometimes difficult to make trades. The lack of choices means that this ends up not being super fun because there's not much thinking involved. Even when optimising I'm pretty sure there will be very similar scores because you *have* to do things in a certain order to conquer the hold.

Overall, I feel like this hold could have done with more choices and possibly a more lenient final boss so that there's more fun in thinking about the choices that we have to make.

2 Brains
6 Fun

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by navithmastero at 09-18-2018 10:31 PM]
09-18-2018 at 10:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2668
icon Re: Throw (+2)  
Throw is odd. The name is a jokey reference to the rooms being constructed by just throwing things down and hoping it works. When playing it you can definitely tell this is the case. But does it work?

On the plus side, it definitely proves that you really can just slap stuff into the editor and get something functional out of it for RPG, maybe in a way that doesn't quite turn out as fun in the mainline DROD series. But Throw isn't very good as far as RPG holds go.

The choices presented don't feel interesting, but the rooms certainly seem like things have been constructed in a way that was meant to provide a more interesting choice than there really is.

You can probably skip this one, but it's really short and if you're desperate for RPG content its inoffensive enough. But Xindaris's later RPG holds are much better.
10-24-2020 at 02:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Holds : Throw (Quick RPG Hold thing) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com