Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Crash when exporting player from TSS
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon Re: Crash when exporting player from TSS (0)  
...and I applied a heuristic hack that doesn't allocate memory so aggressively, and it actually worked in this case to allow re-importing your exported player file into your dats. (Yay!)

It's probably a better strategy to have in place in general, so I'm going to add it to my PR.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-26-2020 at 05:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
I was struck with inspiration and devised a way to minimize the memory footprint used during import to manage data uncompression. This should resolve any inability to import large player profiles.

Until they get super duper large, anyway (i.e., at the point that a 32-bit process isn't good enough...and then we'd need to figure out 64-bit builds on Windows).

PR

10-27-2020 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2384
icon Re: Crash when exporting player from TSS (+1)  
You’ve got 64-bit builds on Mac at least :)

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
10-27-2020 at 10:29 PM
mrimer
Yep. I managed to do that. And trick did this on Linux too, iirc.

Unfortunately, how to rebuild all of the third-party libs as 64-bit in VS is an opaque process to me thus far.

If anyone wants to hack away on that one, be my guest. Although, I'm optimistic that optimizing the export/import memory usage pushes off the need for this a good ways.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-27-2020 10:33 PM]
10-27-2020 at 10:32 PM
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
Confirmed. I successfully exported and reimported my player from the latest alpha. Yay!
10-29-2020 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
RabidChild wrote:
Confirmed. I successfully exported and reimported my player from the latest alpha. Yay!
Hooray! So glad this issue is resolved for you.

Caveat:
FYI -- there's a slightly modified file format used for exports, in this build of 5.1.1 and going forward, which I needed to transition to in order to get streamlined exports working. The files won't be recognized by earlier 5.x builds of the game.

10-29-2020 at 10:21 PM
mrimer
On further consideration, I'm backing out the export optimization for 5.1.1, as it is a format change that's incompatible with previous 5.x builds.

We'll get 5.1.1 out the door in a good state first, and then I'll re-introduce the export optimization immediately afterwards as I begin providing 5.2 dev builds. It will be trivial to re-include.

FWIW, the import optimization and new format support will remain in place, so 5.1.1 can continue to be used to import the new export format (until there's a hold version bump in 5.2).

PR

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-02-2020 08:28 PM]
11-02-2020 at 08:25 PM
robin
Rank Points: 842
I just want to add, that it kinda works/worked to get a full exporting bar.
(It used to crash when the exporting bar was at 80% or something.)
But now I get a message, that it couldn't export the player because, I don't have enough space, or I don't have admin "acces".

I do have enough memory, but if someone can help me, how to give me full admin control?
I sometimes have some issues with this with other applications too, since this is my computer, I probably did something wrong in the past :D

11-06-2020 at 10:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
robin wrote:
I just want to add, that it kinda works/worked to get a full exporting bar.
(It used to crash when the exporting bar was at 80% or something.)
But now I get a message, that it couldn't export the player because, I don't have enough space, or I don't have admin "acces".

I do have enough memory, but if someone can help me, how to give me full admin control?
I sometimes have some issues with this with other applications too, since this is my computer, I probably did something wrong in the past :D
No, the issue your experiencing is not your fault, and it's not an admin access issue. The game has a 32-bit memory fragmentation issue, which the user shouldn't have to worry about. Hence my fix for it (which I deferred in the latest 5.1.1 dev build to 5.2; but you can still use the previous 5.1.1 dev build to export your player profile, with the caveat that you need to import it using version 5.1.1 or later).

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-06-2020 06:01 PM]
11-06-2020 at 06:00 PM
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
Unfortunately this problem has reoccurred for me and it's a bit of an issue now because my old desktop PC is on it's last legs and I've got a replacement incoming in a few days
Click here to view the secret text
The last time I successfully exported my profile was last August (this looks to coincide with my getting back into playing after a small hiatus). Not sure what version I was running at this point.

I patched the game a couple of weeks ago to 5.1.0.6505 (after another hiatus) and I am now unable to export (to clarify this, both full export and saves-only export generate the Windows runtime error and close the program).

I've tried:
1. Installing the 5.1.1 beta - this also fails but with no error at all - the program just closes.
2. Downgrading to the earlier available patch on the downloads page (5.0.1.6060) - this produces the same runtime error.

Worst case, I can use my last year profile when I install on the new machine, and I'll have to replay the 13 holds I've done since then, but it would be great if I could actually get my profile exported beforehand.

One other possibility - is the cloud sync fit for purpose? I recall trying that previously but didn't have much luck with it?

Progress - Gavin G

[Last edited by martz at 09-01-2021 04:56 PM]
09-01-2021 at 04:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
There are five .dat files which contain all the important data. If you're just transferring between computers, you can move those directly to the new computer and not have to worry about exporting.
09-01-2021 at 05:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Update in a new post for increased visibility

I noticed a setting in the ini file:

QuickPlayerExport=0

I've changed this to 1 and now get a prompt on export "Export less player data for quick import?". Selecting "Yes" does successfully export my profile although the file size is around 50% smaller than my previously exported profile.

A quick search shows this was added to JtRH in 2007: 2.0.16 JtRH patch candidate

The relevant details are:

+ Added "Startup:QuickPlayerExport" option to the INI. Set it to "1" to more quickly get saved games from one installation to another. It skips exporting demos and checkpoint saves to player profiles and "saved games only" exports. Should be much faster if you just want to retain general room explored/conquered progress.

Hopefully this should work for me - I'll update once I'm set up on my new PC

Progress - Gavin G
09-01-2021 at 05:32 PM
martz
Dragon Fogel wrote:
There are five .dat files which contain all the important data. If you're just transferring between computers, you can move those directly to the new computer and not have to worry about exporting.
Ah - that will make things easier for me, although there are still issues with the export which my post(s) above may assist with.

Progress - Gavin G
09-01-2021 at 05:56 PM
martz
icon Re: Crash when exporting player from TSS (+3)  
Now all set up on my new PC, few minor issues but nothing too bad - I'm documenting it below for reference:

1. Fresh install of TSS 5.1.0.6512
2. Imported quick profile from old PC
3. Downloaded ALL holds (including all official)
4. Tried re-importing profile but TSS produced "Out of Memory" error, presumed edge-case due to downloading all holds
5. Restarted TSS and re-imported profile, reached final hold and closed without error
6. Restarted PC and tried re-importing profile again - this time successfully!
7. 8 holds previously completed not showing up as (100%) in holds list - went down exit stairs for each of these to rectify (list of holds below)
8. Now able to export full profile with no errors

List of holds:

City of Queens
Cludo's arena
Delver's Demise
Dinfro Budkin's Wine Cellar
ImpossibleCubes
Seeds Dungeon
Simplicity
Temple of Kurath

Progress - Gavin G
09-06-2021 at 03:35 PM
mrimer
Thank you for the documented process. Glad you were able to migrate your progress to the new machine. I think everything you described makes sense and is expected (a known issue) in this circumstance.

Version 5.1.1 will begin addressing the import/export issues on Windows, and 5.2 should have them completely resolved in cases like yours.

09-07-2021 at 01:15 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Crash when exporting player from TSS
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com