Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Improving Tactical DROD (Let's get it going)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
IP: Logged
icon Re: Improving Tactical DROD (0)  
Sorry for replaying this late, but I've been very busy lately.
skell wrote:
Tim wrote:
* story
I am against forcing a story everywhere which is very common in games nowadays. I think no story is better than a crappy store but, at worst, I can add a small wall of text at the start of the game, perhaps the preloader?
If you're going to make a casual game for normal people you will need a story. If you're going to make a game for dedicated drod fans, you don't need it. :)

Tim wrote: Oh, it's looks clumsy when a monster is walking back and forth when it can't reach the friendly units because a wall is between them.
Can you give possible suggestions what to do in that case? I assume you are thinking specifically of Goblins?
I must say I've only played the game once and i did the last 2/3? levels pretty quickly so i have no idea how they moved internally.

Anyway, I must say I didn't expected goblins moved differently than normal monsters (at least, not in a tactical game). But if they actually do, then perhaps its better not to let them wander around needlessly, at least not without an appropriate level design for it.

04-07-2013 at 01:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
When restarting the game by reloading the page, my "deaths" count goes to 0

When restarting the game from the pause menu, my "deaths" count does not go to 0

(which is to say, I got 0 deaths in levels 1 and 2 because I hadn't discovered the pause menu yet, but I got some deaths in level 3, even though my last and only not-restarted play-through had 0 deaths)

It seems un-ideal that the version that uses less server-load is the one that "punishes" the user. So I'd request that it only send a deaths count to the high score table if you "win" a level, and only count the number of deaths in the winning play-through so that the less-server-loading-down restart solution matches behavior with the server-abusing restart solution.

(Also, I'd document the restart thing, but you have open tasks already for documentation)

04-07-2013 at 12:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3757
icon Re: Improving Tactical DROD (+6)  
Okay, first beta release :). Play it here!

A lot has changed. The most important changes are:
- No unit can walk through any other unit (FS#265)
- Undo has been implemented in the scope of one turn (FS#237, FS#218)
- It is possible to repeatedly move your units until all moves are used (FS#241) and unit is marked as moved only it either attacks or you press the end-move button. You don't have to use up all moves of a unit before moving another!
- There is an animated blue border around player units when they haven't yet moved (FS#224)
- You can fast forward enemy movement phase (FS#238)
- Three new levels, very simple and with little thought put into them
- Stats of all units have changed! (more info below)

Other changes:
- You can now attack units without having to move/wait first (FS#240)
- Walls and friendly units are no longer marked as attackable (FS#239)
- You can disable the wait-for-tap-when-enemy-attacks from options menu (FS#235)
- Slider in options which controls game speed - as of now it only affects unit movement animation (FS#233)
- Enemies will now stop moving as soon as they stand next to their target (FS#219 and this topic)
- Enemies will now break ties for closest enemy according to (more or less) DROD's brained movement preference - N > W > E > S > NW > NE > SW > SE > Wait. In all honesty I don't remember if I've referenced the actual DROD code so if it is incorrect it should be changed (FS#220)
- Enemies will use the same preferences to determine which enemy to attack (FS#221)
- Slayer movement preferences have changed - he will always prefer killing Beethro if he is in range. If not, he will try to move to a tile which 1) allows him to attack a unit 2) can be reached by least number of player units (FS#222)
- "Return to title screen" button was added to the pause menu (FS#226)
- An ugly and very simple title screen has been added which allows you select levels. It will be obviously improved in the ages to come (FS#225)

What was not done:
- The issue which TripleM has encountered and has been moved to next iteration for being fixed (FS#223)

What now:
- First and foremost I'd like your input on the current version, bugs and stuff. Please post everything in this topic, I'll make tasks for any issues in my bugtrack.
- I've changed stats of all the units but I am not convinced the change was for the best. If you think the stats should be changed/improved, bring it on
- I haven't tested if, after the above changes, any of the existing levels are completable!

That'd be all for now I think

04-29-2013 at 05:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1235
skell wrote:
- Slayer movement preferences have changed - he will always prefer killing Beethro if he is in range. If not, he will try to move to a tile which 1) allows him to attack a unit 2) can be reached by least number of player units (FS#222)
The only way I was able to kill the slayer in the original levels was by exploiting that he would not always attack Beethro, so I could get multiple attacks in. I'm not sure if he can still be killed in the new version.
04-29-2013 at 05:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5106
Excellent!
slimm tom wrote:
skell wrote:
The only way I was able to kill the slayer in the original levels was by exploiting that he would not always attack Beethro, so I could get multiple attacks in. I'm not sure if he can still be killed in the new version.
I'm certain it's still possible:
Click here to view the secret text

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-29-2013 06:07 PM]
04-29-2013 at 06:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 522
icon Re: Improving Tactical DROD (+1)  
I like the changes :)

- Trying to play "Horizontal Tar (Original Lvl 3)" the game freezes.

- I don't think scrolling adds much to the game and feels weird. Currently only the slayer level needs it and making it a bit smaller (4 tiles vertically I think) will make it fit on the screen so it can be static. Then putting the menu buttons on one of the sides (vertically).
Unless in the future bigger rooms are put inside the game, I think it's not something needed now.
Other solutions: smaller sprites or increase window size (currently 800x600, I believe most browsers/computers can go over that) probably not an option.

[Last edited by Bombadil at 04-29-2013 06:10 PM]
04-29-2013 at 06:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182

That's interesting. I

04-29-2013 at 06:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
stigant wrote:

That's interesting. I

04-29-2013 at 06:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Bombadil wrote:
I like the changes :)
Yay :)

- Trying to play "Horizontal Tar (Original Lvl 3)" the game freezes.
Noted, I will try to fix it and update with the fix today.

- I don't think scrolling adds much to the game and feels weird. [...]
In the next iteration I will port a zoom-in/out buttons. Not to mention that for mobile release scaling and scrolling will be necessary :). I can make some kind of a shortcut which will reset the level position to center if that will make anything better.

04-29-2013 at 07:13 PM
skell
icon Re: Improving Tactical DROD (+1)  
skell wrote:
Bombadil wrote: - Trying to play "Horizontal Tar (Original Lvl 3)" the game freezes.
Noted, I will try to fix it and update with the fix today.
And fixed :). The updated file is under the same link.

04-29-2013 at 07:24 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Improving Tactical DROD (Let's get it going)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com