Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD which is better? (DROD which is better?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
DROD which is better?
АЕ (KDD)
JtRH
TCB
DROD RPG
GatEB
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Vladilav
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 82
IP: Logged
icon DROD which is better? (+1)  
What do you like the classics: АЕ (KDD), JtRH or newer: TCB, DROD RPG, GatEB)

and it is better to answer the question why that part of the game, you have chosen you feel better ...)

05-11-2012 at 03:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: DROD which is better? (+1)  
JtRH > TCB > GatEB > KDD >>>> RPG

The first four are only really minor preferences, and KDD is at the end mostly because the interface took a huge step up in usability between KDD and JtRH. I'm also not as much of a fan of the story heavy, "Hub" style holds. I want to solve puzzles. Story is nice, but when I spend a significant amount of time running around trying to solve the story puzzle rather than killing roaches, I get irritated. I thought the snarky, tounge in cheek, linear stories in KDD and JtRH were excellent examples of minimalist story telling - they conveyed a lot in a little space and didn't distract from the main draw of the game: thinking hard about how to kill roaches.

RPG was a complete non-starter for me. I hated every second of the demo. It just wasn't a puzzle that I wanted to solve. I didn't bother buying the game. I'm sure someone will come in here and tell me that I'm missing out and should give it a chance. Don't bother. You like it, and that's great. I don't and that's fine too. I also don't like orb-puzzles, ketchup and ponies.

05-11-2012 at 05:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: DROD which is better? (0)  
JtRH > RPG > TCB > GatEB

05-11-2012 at 05:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Vladilav
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 82
at this time voted 13 votes, and if we assume :JtRH 5, TCB 2, GatEB 3 vote... obtained 10 votes ..What happened to the other three voices?

[Last edited by Vladilav at 05-11-2012 05:51 PM]
05-11-2012 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Vladilav wrote:
at this time voted 13 votes, and if we assume :JtRH 5, TCB 2, GatEB 3 vote... obtained 10 votes ..What happened to the other three voices?
People who view results count as a vote.

05-11-2012 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
gamer_extreme_101 wrote: People who view results count as a vote.
They do? Why?

05-11-2012 at 08:04 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
I thought that these were just people who voted without selecting what they vote for.

05-11-2012 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: DROD which is better? (+2)  
Overall, I'm going to say TCB -> JTRH -> GatEB -> KDD, and then RPG is going to float mysteriously to their sides.

I had a really long thing here but then I realized you people start worrying when I make long posts so

KDD was good for its time but I defy you to play it now and compare it to the other three.

GatEB is not innately bad, it's just JTRH and TCB are long meaty things and felt more like 'bam, $20 for ALL THIS'.

TCB beats out JTRH solely because I would probably play a hold that consisted of nothing but Beethro walking around talking to Empire people and having their delightful little civilization explained more.

RPG was a thing where at first I was like 'augh why did you do this' but then at some point I guess I went 'okay this is kind of a fascinating puzzle it's just one where you don't get to see all the pieces at once which IS kinda annoying.'

05-11-2012 at 08:37 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Rheb wrote:
JtRH > RPG > TCB > GatEB

I agree :) It's hard to place KDD on the scale. Might be the one I enjoyed the most, but it certanly isn't the best.
05-11-2012 at 09:07 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
GatEB > TCB > JtRH > KDD
RPG

KDD was cool and all, but some of the puzzles were frankly terrible. It introduced me to DROD, but I do not have fond memories of the game.

JtRH was much better than KDD in terms of puzzles and quality, but I feel like I sort of "skipped over" this one in my DROD hiatus between starting the game and returning to the game. As such, it is unfamiliar to me.

TCB was to me the same way JtRH was to most people. It threw me into the true nature of DROD as well as the Caravel community.

GatEB ranks as my favorite game because, in my opinion, it added another dimension to the game. The way the main hold is set up, it tells a story, an adventure, rather than the usual epic whatever-Beethro-is-doing. Something about the game seems amazingly familiar to me, and I really love its presentation. Plus, the new music and styles are fantastic.

RPG is a totally different genre, and so cannot be rated on this scale. Perhaps once RPG 2 and 3 and 4 come out will the game be ratable.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 05-12-2012 04:16 AM]
05-11-2012 at 10:25 PM

Level: Guest
Rank Points: 0
12th Archivist wrote:
GatEB > TCB > JtRH > KDD
RPG

KDD was cool and all, but some of the puzzles were frankly terrible. It introduced me to DROD, but I do not have fond memories of the game.

JtRH was much better than KDD in terms of puzzles and quality, but I feel like I sort of "skipped over" this one in my DROD hiatus between starting the game and returning to the game. As such, it is unfamiliar to me.

TCB was to me the same way JtRH was to most people. It threw me into the true nature of DROD as well as the Caravel community.

GatEB ranks as my favorite game because, in my opinion, it added another dimension to the game. The way the main hold is set up, it tells a story, an adventure, rather than the usual epic whatever-Beethro-is-doing. Something about the game seems amazingly familiar to me, and I really love its presentation. Plus, the new music and styles are fantastic.

RPG is a totally different genre, and so cannot be rated on this scale. Perhaps once RPG 2 and 3 and 4 come out will the game be ratable.

but the gains in the vote because it Jtrh anyone have an opinion)

[Last edited by shespir at 05-12-2012 12:51 PM]
05-12-2012 at 12:50 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Edit/Delete | Quote Reply
SirNiko
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 62
icon Re: DROD which is better? (+3)  
I voted for Journey to Rooted Hold as my favorite.

The quality of the puzzles themselves has been really consistent from one game to the next. The level design in terms of aesthetics has also been very strong from one game to the next. The difficulty of the puzzles really doesn't affect my perception of the games that much. These are not areas where any of the games exceeds or falls behind the others.

What JtRH did was take the puzzle mechanics of King Dugan's Dungeon and flawlessly integrate it with a story. The early levels teach you the basic game mechanics through Halph's playful scampering without ever feeling like handholding or worse, holding you back. The Slayer is neatly introduced in his classroom, where he explains his mechanics in a way that never even approaches the fourth wall. The Pit Thing interjects itself periodically, typically by speaking to Beethro while he is in the middle of exploring a room so as to not interrupt the player from actually solving puzzles.

The game is wise to keep the number of NPCs at a minimum, and have them frequently reappear. When Halph reappears for a single room it is a pleasant surprise, and you're bound to laugh at his ridiculous antics when using a generic NPC would incur a much lesser reaction. The growing frustration of the Slayer as he fails again and again to halt you leads up to one of the most satisfying finales I've experienced in a game. The focus on character development is impressive, without relying on shallow characters or too much emphasis on simple plot twists.

The game is exceptionally lean, with a minimum of cutscenes or empty rooms to take up space. You're almost always solving a puzzle or moving in a straight line to the next puzzle, which means that those who don't care for the plot get just as good an experience as those who want to take in the story.

JtRH is the standard that later games should aspire to.

I also love DROD RPG, but it is difficult to compare because it is a completely different game from the main series.
05-12-2012 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply

Level: Guest
Rank Points: 0
KDD .. With him I began acquaintance with DROD ... interesting, but very easy ...
JtRH .. nice hold'em) ... much slozhneee ... with a good story
TSB .. my favorite part .. good story .. raskritiya Vilik something .. it was .. thorns and challenging puzzle game konntse)
RPG ... a different style .. do not really like ...
GatEB .. a lot of new dialogue ... a good story, but it's easy to pass .
05-13-2012 at 12:19 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Edit/Delete | Quote Reply
Suwako
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 145
The story of Journey to Rooted Hold is too awesome. I don't know if this explain it:

If is for the entire game, DROD RPG it's the drod i like more, but if it for the official hold that has, JtRH.

05-13-2012 at 02:27 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD which is better? (DROD which is better?) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com