Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : YT and the DROD AE OST (acronyms heck yes)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged
icon YT and the DROD AE OST (+1)  
I noticed the other day that unlike every other game in existence, the DROD soundtrack is not on YouTube. Part of this, I'd hope, is that we here are all nice people who don't upload copyrighted things to the Internet at large. But that doesn't cover the Architect's Edition music, which is in the public domain.

And I thought to myself that it would be nice to be able to link someone to the nice AE music and say "this is nice music" rather than getting them to download a zip file and then possibly have them say "lol what is this not-mp3 format?" And I said to myself, "self, surely if all these youtubers (youpotatoes?) can slap a picture and a music track together and upload it, there is probably some simple utility that will let you do it too". So I asked a friend about it and he revealed that its name was "Windows Movie Maker".

That's when I discovered that in addition to apathy, it is also possible that the AE music isn't on YouTube because Windows Movie Maker hates ogg and does not recognize it as a music format. (Presumably there is some dumb proprietary vs. open sores nerd turf war involved, or possibly jerkwad lawyers (but I repeat myself).) I'd have to either find some other utility or convert, and I don't know which to do or what to use instead once I'd answered that. So rather than doing some research I decided to go have dinner, and that's the story of how I didn't accomplish this thing I mentioned.

I wasn't really going anywhere in particular with this post; I just felt like sharing for some reason.

10-23-2010 at 04:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 371
icon Re: YT and the DROD AE OST (0)  
Personally, when I need to convert some weird audio (or video) format to a less weird one, I use FormatFactory.

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

10-23-2010 at 12:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwerulous
Rank Points: 340
Hi everyone, I haven't been around for a long while due to commitments outside the Eighth.

But I read this today and thought I would mention that I plan to upload the AE music to youtube sometime soon! :)

Of course if anyone else gets to it before I do, then, well, fair enough. Either that or we can simply compete for quality...
10-24-2010 at 04:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwerulous
Well I have put up five pieces on youtube (they should come up if you search "drod music").

I am having some difficulties with audio quality on the others, but will persevere with them and get them uploaded too.

[edit] I think I have found a solution. Although I say that tentatively, the rest should be up soon.

[Last edited by Kwerulous at 10-25-2010 03:24 PM]
10-25-2010 at 02:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
Oh god, DROD has so epic music, everyone should like them and put them in favourites and share with everyone!

Thank you, Kwerulous!
10-26-2010 at 11:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwerulous
icon Re: YT and the DROD AE OST (+1)  
The Architest wrote:
Thank you, Kwerulous!
No problem! :)

I will probably put the other pieces (title screen, credits) up at some point too.
10-26-2010 at 04:24 PM
Jatopian
Good, the quality hasn't suffered much at all.

Other tracks to upload would be "Whistler", "Settle Down", "Next Things Next", "Gustomatic", "Underway", and "The End of the Game", although admittedly about half of those would just be for the sake of completeness. Let's see, for "Whistler" a shot of the AE title screen might be good, and for "The End of the Game" a screenshot of the in-game lyrics would be lovely (if they fit on one screen, which IIRC they do). Unfortunately I've abandoned the machine with all my AE progress on it, so I can't help with that.

silver was allowed to pick a JtRH track a while ago to release under some Creative Commons license - he chose "Uncovered", which is certainly among the better JtRH tracks. I wonder if it is legal to upload that.

10-26-2010 at 05:59 PM
Kwerulous
Jatopian wrote:
Let's see, for "Whistler" a shot of the AE title screen might be good...
Seems like a good idea to me too, I will probably get onto that tomorrow, or tonight if I get time.
...and for "The End of the Game" a screenshot of the in-game lyrics would be lovely (if they fit on one screen, which IIRC they do). Unfortunately I've abandoned the machine with all my AE progress on it, so I can't help with that.
Yes they do all fit on one screen. I did think about having the lyrics synchronised with the music (like how it actually is in the game), but I don't have any utility for making it. Well I guess I could just take a screenshot of each word/syllable. But I'd rather wait for any other suggestions before I start doing that!
silver was allowed to pick a JtRH track a while ago to release under some Creative Commons license - he chose "Uncovered", which is certainly among the better JtRH tracks. I wonder if it is legal to upload that.
Even if it was legal, I would have to get permission to use JtRH graphics for a background image. It also seems, to me, somewhat pointless just putting one track up, and I personally liked all the JtRH music.
10-26-2010 at 06:54 PM
Jatopian
Getting permission in the past for something like screenshots has always been a matter of shooting Mike an email or PM, not that you even have to use JtRH graphics at all to get the music uploaded.

I like most of the JtRH music, but putting the other JtRH tracks up there isn't legal, so there's no use whining about it. You could ask for permission to upload the others I suppose; I doubt it would be granted.

10-26-2010 at 07:20 PM
Kwerulous
I suppose - but I will obviously get all the other AE pieces up before I consider JtRH.

And also I just remembered that I don't have JtRH any more. But if I were to upload 'Uncovered' (if permission is granted) I could just use TCB (if permission is granted) for an image - as far as I remember there is no difference between Deep Spaces on JtRH and on TCB?

10-26-2010 at 08:07 PM
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
Kwerulous wrote:But if I were to upload 'Uncovered' (if permission is granted)

Apparently, you can do anything with "Uncovered" (including uploading it) as long as you credit Erik as the original composer.

[Last edited by Timo006 at 10-26-2010 08:22 PM]
10-26-2010 at 08:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : YT and the DROD AE OST (acronyms heck yes)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com