Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : RPG Hold Anonymous (Hold moved to Architecture)
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mxvladi
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2505
IP: Logged
icon Re: RPG Hold Anonymous (0)  
Solved, too. My result is a little lower than Nuntar's.

HP: 184
ATK: 32
DEF: 15
keys: 0/0/0/0
Greckles: 16
Score: 209

This was very fun. Wooden shield will spoil this fun challenge level.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 12-07-2008 01:38 PM]
12-07-2008 at 01:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
High-score update.

HP: 67
ATK: 32
DEF: 17
KEYS: 2/1/0/0
GRE: 26
REP: 163

SCORE: 252

12-07-2008 at 02:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
Are sign-ups already open for round 2? 'Cause then I sign up :). And I promise not to be late this time.
12-07-2008 at 03:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1070
I'll give this a shot too

12-07-2008 at 03:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny

File: level2map.png (13.3 KB)
Downloaded 378 times.
License: Public Domain
First, level 1. I added a few trapdoors in 2N2W and the passage in mxvladi's room is now reachable. I will not change anything else, as the level seems complete. Anyway,

ROUND 2

The map has been created and assigned:
Click here to view the secret text

Rules for level 2:

* Multiplier for this level is x2.
* Starting base stats for this level are 220 HP, 22 ATK, 15 DEF, 0 GRE and 120 REP. Equipment is a shortsword (+30 ATK) and a wooden shield (+10 DEF). These will be placed in the entrance room, no need to worry.
* I will provide both the entrance and the exit. The conditions to complete the level are 2 blue keys, killing an antlion and a 100 greckles.
* There are no restrictions on what you can place within your rooms. Scripting, custom music, anything. Among other things, every room contains an NPC that resets the music to default.

* You may only edit rooms that belong to you. I have sent you PMs with your personalized dungeons. I will use only the rooms you were supposed to create.
* You may not edit anything on the edge of the room.
* Make sure the player can navigate the dungeon freely: make your room easily skippable (recommended, but not enforced).

To submit your work in such way other participants cannot get access to it. I recommend uploading the file to www.mediafire.com and sending me the download link via PM or email. Or, you can attach a password-protected archive and send me the password. Anything works, as long as I am the only one who can access it.

The submission deadline is within one week, which is Local Time:12-14-2008 at 10:00 PM (i.e. next Sunday). The sooner the better, of course.

P.S. hyperme, I will put you in third round. I have prepared everything for round 2 by the time I read your post, sorry.

EDIT: Reduced entry DEF to fit the average more.

[Last edited by eb0ny at 12-08-2008 05:41 AM]
12-07-2008 at 04:31 PM
Dex Stewart
Do we really want the equipment to be in the entrance? I really think it should be spread out a bit.
12-07-2008 at 04:37 PM
eb0ny
Dex Stewart wrote:
Do we really want the equipment to be in the entrance? I really think it should be spread out a bit.
By "in the entrance" I mean "in the same room". You will not necessarily access it right away.

12-07-2008 at 04:44 PM
eb0ny
Nuntar wrote:
Of the problems I want to fix, the fact that the tunnels in 1N don't work is entirely my own fault, but surely it's not such a big deal to give me the chance to put it right?
Sorry, my bad. I had no right to do that and will not do so again.
Onto Level 2 -- I'm just a bit worried about what you mean by "Starting base stats for this level are 220 HP, 22 ATK, 17 DEF, 0 GRE and 120 REP." Surely starting base stats are whatever the player finished the previous level with. I hope you're saying this is just a guideline for us to work with -- assume the player might have roughly the stats mentioned (which is accurate, given the testing done so far on the first level) but they also might have more if they optimise well on the first level. Right?
We needed some entry point, right? I picked more or less average stats - which is 22 ATK and 1715 DEF (decreased to fit the average). And yes, if the players optimize more, they will have more. I think that the entrance room will balance that, I have some ideas in this regard.

[Last edited by eb0ny at 12-08-2008 05:43 AM]
12-08-2008 at 05:40 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Highscore for level 1 (I can play it even if I don't participate, right?): 310 (603/37/20/1/2/0).
12-09-2008 at 12:47 PM
Dex Stewart
eb0ny wrote:
Dex Stewart wrote:
By "in the entrance" I mean "in the same room". You will not necessarily access it right away.

Well, you did say that's what the player will have in this level.
12-09-2008 at 02:26 PM
eb0ny
Dex Stewart wrote:
Well, you did say that's what the player will have in this level.
It's not like the equipment will lay there unprotected.

12-09-2008 at 04:54 PM
eb0ny
Great suggestions. I was thinking of "make a random player make a secret room without others knowing".

If the level will turn out to be too easy, the next level should make enough of a challenge to balance that. If it is too hard, we can dedicate a week to introduce changes to it (anonymously, to retain the point of the game).

12-10-2008 at 05:35 AM
eb0ny
There is a little nuance I need help with. How should I present subsequent levels?

One possibility is to append the next level to already existing hold. By using existing saves the testers (us) could start where they finished one level and start the next, by simulating how an actual player would do, given access to entire hold. Changes will break saves and not everyone might be tempted to complete earlier levels, though.

Another is to isolate the level completely, start with some preset stats and play that level alone. But in this case there cannot be any backtracking (even if the levels would be included, they would be in their unsolved state), making level possibly impossible because of these circumstances.

What do you think? I am in favor of second option: test levels individually, then test the whole thing in Architecture.

[Last edited by eb0ny at 12-10-2008 06:14 PM]
12-10-2008 at 06:14 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
I think that you should post both, one with average stats and one with the entire hold. I know that my room in the first level was made to encourage backtracking.
12-10-2008 at 07:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
I don't really have anything to say, except that I totally agree with Nuntar, even including the last bit.
12-10-2008 at 11:06 PM
eb0ny
Understood, thanks for everyone's answers.

12-11-2008 at 11:48 AM
eb0ny
VIPCOOL wrote:
Can I join in the third round?
Sure.

12-12-2008 at 05:31 AM
eb0ny
Because of some real life stuff, deadlines have to shift a little. Since I will not be available from Sunday to next Wednesday, the new round 2 room submission deadline is Local Time:12-17-2008 at 10:00 PM (three days later). The game will resume as usual afterwards.

12-12-2008 at 01:18 PM
eb0ny
Guess who's back?

Anyway, there were no more submissions over the time I was away. Also, Dex Stewart said he would drop out of the game due to real life issues, so I took the liberty of adding placeholder rooms in his locations for aesthetical reasons (the only thing I added there was a small health potion - otherwise they function as if they were completely empty).

So the only thing missing now is Jeff_Ray's rooms. If everything goes well, I should post the resulting level tomorrow.

12-17-2008 at 09:53 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Argh, I forgot to send those... I'll try to do so whenever possible, but chances are I'll not be home to send the rooms (they're done, didn't get to send yet) tonight.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

12-17-2008 at 12:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Argh, I forgot to send those... I'll try to do so whenever possible, but chances are I'll not be home to send the rooms (they're done, didn't get to send yet) tonight.
Okay then, I'll wait.

12-17-2008 at 02:22 PM
eb0ny

File: RPG Hold Anonymous.drh (8.8 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
Level 2 is now done, I didn't complete it yet. Third round will start sometime later this week.

Nuntar, could you edit your room in the upper-right side of the level? Some areas are currently inaccessible and you have more space to add changes than the room below.

[Last edited by eb0ny at 12-18-2008 06:55 PM]
12-18-2008 at 12:35 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I can confirm. Level 2 was considerably easier.
12-18-2008 at 06:10 PM
eb0ny
Second level really was easier. Now we just have to make the third level difficult enough to make the player optimise the second one. See what highest score you can get and we will use that as a reference.

My score (I wasn't trying to collect everything):
1377/66/42 3/2/0/0 560
Nuntar wrote:
What's with the blue doors in the exit room? None of them are needed to reach the stairs, and the bonuses they guard are all so small that it's clear anyone would choose to keep the blue keys.
Yeah, I noticed. It is my fault, sorry. Will be fixed in the next version.

EDIT: New version uploaded. Nuntar's rooms have been fixed, level 2 exit room has been fixed, minor kobolds' stat tweak has been made. Hi-score this version, please!

[Last edited by eb0ny at 12-18-2008 06:57 PM]
12-18-2008 at 06:49 PM
eb0ny
Hi-score update:

HP: 1432
ATK: 98
DEF: 56
GRE: 644
REP: 1112
KEYS: 15/5/2/1

SWORD: Short sword
SHIELD: Wooden shield
ACCESSORY: Speed potion

TOTAL: 1033

Round 3 will start shortly. Its requirements will be somewhat different, which will "help" the player to burn excess resources. There's just one question with the deadline: given that there are holidays these days, when should I set it? I was thinking January 4th, but what's your opinion?

[Last edited by eb0ny at 12-23-2008 11:23 AM]
12-23-2008 at 11:19 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I know I'm late, but can I join nonetheless? I'd like to make some more rooms. Let's hope I'm not late again this time. >_>

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

12-23-2008 at 12:56 PM
eb0ny

File: gauntletAmap.png (13 KB)
Downloaded 277 times.
Because level 2 seemed too easy, I introduce you the gauntlet. It is a small level, created to burn any excessive resources player may have. It can be traversed only once, and after it is done, next level is unlocked and the gauntlet becomes blocked.

ROUND 3

The map has been created and assigned:

Rules for gauntlet A:

* Multiplier for this level is x6.
* Starting base stats for this level are 1000 HP, 70 ATK, 45 DEF, 650 GRE, 1100 REP, 10/5/2/1 KEYS. Equipment is a shortsword (+30 ATK) and a wooden shield (+10 DEF), carried from the previous level.
* I will provide both the entrance and the exit.
* In this level, you cannot place anything that would affect player's stats or inventory! Put it another way, no keys or potions, and you cannot modify player's stats via scripting. Everything else is allowed.

* You may only edit rooms that belong to you. I have sent you PMs with your personalized dungeons. I will use only the rooms you were supposed to create.
* You may not edit anything on the edge of the room.
* You rooms will be traversed only ONCE, so make full use of your rooms you get. Design to burn keys, greckles and health. Challenge here is appreciated required.

To submit your work in such way other participants cannot get access to it. I recommend uploading the file to www.mediafire.com and sending me the download link via PM or email. Any other method works, as long as I am the only one who can access it.

The submission deadline is within two weeks (Local Time:01-04-2009 at 10:00 PM).

[Last edited by eb0ny at 12-23-2008 03:04 PM]
12-23-2008 at 02:33 PM
hyperme
Rank Points: 1070
Since the rules are a bit iffy on this point, can we make a custom monster? Can it steal money? These things come under scripts, but also under monsters. :?

12-23-2008 at 04:13 PM
eb0ny
icon Re: RPG Hold Anonymous (+1)  
hyperme wrote:
Since the rules are a bit iffy on this point, can we make a custom monster? Can it steal money? These things come under scripts, but also under monsters. :?
I didn't think of this possibility. Monsters reducing greckles and reputation seem reasonable enough to allow, therefore you can use them. Try not to touch atk/def though, other rooms may will rely on their high quantities.

12-23-2008 at 05:03 PM
eb0ny
Happy New Year!

Anyways, Jeff_Ray and Someone Else, you haven't submitted your portions of the level and you have three and a half more days to do it. Just a friendly reminder.

01-01-2009 at 08:33 AM
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : RPG Hold Anonymous (Hold moved to Architecture)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com