Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask questions about DROD RPG (You know you want to) This topic has been locked
<<3456
Page 7 of 16
891011>>
New Topic New Poll
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Re: Ask questions about DROD RPG (+1)  
bflatjeff wrote:
Not on the topic of graphics (whew! relief!), but I just clicked the bar, and so I have to ask:

Is the Goblin King a monster you can fight in the RPG?

Yes.

Are there several Goblin Kings?

There are probably several dozen goblin kings in the Eighth; every tribe of goblins is ruled by a king. See http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewsitepage.php?id=95447.

07-30-2008 at 07:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
TMSTF
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
icon Re: Ask questions about DROD RPG (0)  
Is that comic sans going to be the final font or will you change it to the regular DROD font you use?
07-31-2008 at 11:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
TMSTF wrote:
Is that comic sans going to be the final font or will you change it to the regular DROD font you use?
You mean for the stat labels like "HP"? Yes, that's the final font. Besides that, the fonts used in the game are the regular fonts we use for DROD. (I tried our typical fonts for the stat label abbreviations, but they were a bit harder to read.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-31-2008 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
How is the architectural process different between DROD and DROD RPG? Do you find you have to think differently to make challenging DROD RPG rooms and levels?

Is DROD RPG meant to support to same kind of ecosystem of user created holds, demos and challenges as plain old DROD?

If I were to ask you whether the game contains clever logic puzzles, what would you answer?
07-31-2008 at 05:02 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds
eytanz
Pekka wrote:
How is the architectural process different between DROD and DROD RPG?

That's way too general a question to answer. They are different games. The interface is similar, but the gameplay is totally different, and the architecture process reflects this.

Do you find you have to think differently to make challenging DROD RPG rooms and levels?

Yes, definitely. To give just one example of a difference, in DROD, puzzles are contained in individual rooms by default and you need to put thought if you want to make cross-room puzzles, and the larger the area, the harder it is to do, especially if you don't also want progress to be entirely linear.

In DROD RPG, unless you take special care to prevent it, any element you introduce influences the entire hold to some extent. It is also much harder to design a linear progression than a non-linear progression without making the hold trivial.

Is DROD RPG meant to support to same kind of ecosystem of user created holds, demos and challenges as plain old DROD?

Yes, except that demos aren't really much of a factor, since particular sequences of moves are rarely of interest.

If I were to ask you whether the game contains clever logic puzzles, what would you answer?

Yes.

07-31-2008 at 06:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
hyperme
Rank Points: 1143
What's left do for the last 3%?

08-01-2008 at 03:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
eytanz
hyperme wrote:

Everything.

08-01-2008 at 09:19 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
hyperme wrote:
Why, the other 97 percent of course!

np: Apparat - Wooden (Anders Ilar Remix) (Things To Be Frickled (Disc 2))

[Last edited by Briareos at 08-01-2008 09:56 PM]
08-01-2008 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
The progress bar always had a kind of logistical increment. At first it takes months until a new bar appears. Then the percentage of the bar increases at a high rate until it reaches 90-somewhat percent. Then it takes another 2 months until the bar hits 100%. And then it takes another 3 weeks until we have a release.

I guess the DROD RPG will be released in late October or early November.
08-03-2008 at 11:41 AM
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
Is there going to be some significant game element that only shows up in the last level? (Like the Neather in KDD and Guards in JTRH)
08-04-2008 at 03:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
techant
Rank Points: 854
Will we find the full version on the Prize Pile list?

08-04-2008 at 04:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
icon Re: Ask questions about DROD RPG (-1)  
brian_s wrote:
Is there going to be some significant game element that only shows up in the last level? (Like the Neather in KDD and Guards in JTRH)
or Halph in TCB.
08-04-2008 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
13th Slayer wrote:
or [...] in TCB.
Oi! At least put such spoilerific stuff in [secret] tags!

np: John Tejada - Moogbits (Where)

08-04-2008 at 04:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts
eytanz
brian_s wrote:

Quite a few - remember, this is a stats-based game, so each level includes more powerful enemies than the previous levels.

08-04-2008 at 06:00 PM
rman
Rank Points: 371
TCB Demo has unfull hold and only one style, but I can fully use the editor (I have full set of elements ans script commands, etc.). Can I fully use the editor in DROD RPG Demo?

And also, TCB Demo has only one room style, but I can import some custom ones, and they will work. Can I do that in DROD RPG Demo?

And finally: can I use custom graphics? If yes, which elements can be drawn?

PS: And what about player roles?:D

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

08-04-2008 at 07:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
OH, yeah, I have one question, too:

Can I import custom TCB/JtRH/AE styles into RPG?
08-04-2008 at 07:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
eytanz
rman wrote:
TCB Demo has unfull hold and only one style, but I can fully use the editor (I have full set of elements ans script commands, etc.). Can I fully use the editor in DROD RPG Demo?

And also, TCB Demo has only one room style, but I can import some custom ones, and they will work. Can I do that in DROD RPG Demo?

And finally: can I use custom graphics? If yes, which elements can be drawn?

PS: And what about player roles?:D

The answer to all the above is "Yes. It's exactly the same as TCB".

08-04-2008 at 07:25 PM
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
About how many hours does it take to finish the official hold?

I know they likely both have their advantages, but what do you think is more versatile: the DROD RPG editor or the TCB editor?

08-04-2008 at 08:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores
13th Slayer
Snacko wrote:
I know they likely both have their advantages, but what do you think is more versatile: the DROD RPG editor or the TCB editor?
as noted before, these are different games.
You wouldnt ask "which is better - drod Editor or Heroes of might and magic editor?", would you?
08-04-2008 at 09:57 PM
13th Slayer
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
The progress bar always had a kind of logistical increment. At first it takes months until a new bar appears. Then the percentage of the bar increases at a high rate until it reaches 90-somewhat percent. Then it takes another 2 months until the bar hits 100%. And then it takes another 3 weeks until we have a release.

I guess the DROD RPG will be released in late October or early November.
you told me it will probably be done in september :/
08-04-2008 at 09:59 PM
vittro
Rank Points: 482
icon Re: Ask questions about DROD RPG (-1)  
13th Slayer wrote:
Snacko wrote:
as noted before, these are different games.
You wouldnt ask "which is better - drod Editor or Heroes of might and magic editor?", would you?

What? Stop acting like this.

Snacko is question is perfectly ok, because DROD and DROD RPG are on the same engine and have similar gameplay.

08-04-2008 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds
eytanz
Actually, though, 13th slayer is absolutely right.

The two games have similar gameplay in some senses - they're both turn based and both involve moving in square steps and being able to turn in eight directions - but they are different games, and they have very different gameplay from a design POV.

The TCB editor can make DROD puzzles and it can't make DROD RPG puzzles.

The DROD RPG editor can make DROD RPG puzzles and not DROD puzzles.

I'm not sure how you could compare them on factors such as versatility.

[Last edited by eytanz at 08-04-2008 10:15 PM]
08-04-2008 at 10:14 PM
vittro
icon Re: Ask questions about DROD RPG (-2)  
Not really. As mrimer said, the game is 75% drod and 25% rpg.

As versaility, you can tell us how scripting and menus work, if creating new monsters is hard or easy, etc.

08-04-2008 at 11:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds
eytanz
vittro wrote:
Not really. As mrimer said, the game is 75% drod and 25% rpg.

Well then, since you seem to know the game better than I do, maybe you can answer the questions.

And Mike said 50% DROD and 25% RPG. And remember, all the graphics and story, are directly from DROD, which leaves the gameplay to be where most of the difference lies.

As versaility, you can tell us how scripting and menus work, if creating new monsters is hard or easy, etc.

Ok, let me refer back to Mike's original post - we're not going to answer general questions. If you have specific questions, phrase them as such. It's not a good use of Mike's time, or of my time, to try to figure out all the possible ways to answer a question like this.

[Last edited by eytanz at 08-04-2008 11:26 PM]
08-04-2008 at 11:25 PM
vittro
Meh, I was just saying that Snacko's question was a pretty good one. 13th Slayer's reply was a bit out of context, because Snacko asked for versatility, not for gameplay differences, etc...

The editor is practically TCB's editor with more features (from what I get), and Snacko just asked if it will be easy to add/remove/change stuff (versatility).

That's what I meant to say, I'm not trying to be rude, but versatility is asking about the interface and stuff like that.

Slayer thought Snacko was referring to the elements and gameplay, but versatility is a completely different thing.

---

Back on questions :

Can the player have certain conditions? Maybe when fighting with certain monsters (spiders) he could get poisoned and other kind of buffs-debuffs?

Can monsters flee if they're in danger?

How do friendly elements work? Can I have a Stalwart in the game that helps me in battles? Or a pet?

In the screenshot mrimer posted, there's "cutscene" written in the room title. Do cutscenes work differently from TCB?

Can you have monsters with custom sprites?

[Last edited by vittro at 08-05-2008 12:12 AM]
08-05-2008 at 12:03 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
The problem is that there's nothing to measure versatility against, since the games are of different genres (or sub-genres, I suppose). Vittro's point is correct, in my opinion...if Tower of the Sorceror had an editor, then it would be very fair to compare it against DROD RPG, but otherwise there's not much to say.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-05-2008 at 12:09 AM
eytanz
icon Re: Ask questions about DROD RPG (+2)  
vittro wrote:
Meh, I was just saying that Snacko's question was a pretty good one. 13th Slayer's reply was a bit out of context, because Snacko asked for versatility, not for gameplay differences, etc...

The editor is practically TCB's editor with more features (from what I get), and Snacko just asked if it will be easy to add/remove/change stuff (versatility).

Well, yes and no. As far as the interface goes, it's just as easy; it hasn't been changed. There are some new features that are designed to accomodate some of the new gameplay features.

There have been some minor improvements made during the work on the RPG, but most of those have made their way into the 3.2 patch.

Slayer thought Snacko was referring to the elements and gameplay, but versatility is a completely different thing.

I can't tell what Snacko was referring to, but I take "versatility" to mean - "how much stuff can you create with it", not "how easy it is to create stuff with it".

Can the player have certain conditions? Maybe when fighting with certain monsters (spiders) he could get poisoned and other kind of buffs-debuffs?

There are some buffs built into the game, like extra damage vs. certain monsters. It is also possible to create custom buffs using some scripting, but that would be a task for advanced architects, not something that's easy to do.

That's a good idea for a feature if there's an RPG 2.

Can monsters flee if they're in danger?

Yes, if they're scripted to.

How do friendly elements work? Can I have a Stalwart in the game that helps me in battles?

Mimics can fight monsters remotely, but they use your stats (and lower your HP if they get hurt). There are no friendly ally monsters like the Stalwarts in 3.0. It's possible to code a pet/ally via scripting, but it would be limited as far as AI goes.

In the screenshot mrimer posted, there's "cutscene" written in the room title. Do cutscenes work differently from TCB?

No, except that the words (cut scene) are added to the room title while they play.

Can you have monsters with custom sprites?

Yes.

08-05-2008 at 12:23 AM
DanielFishman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 159
But it doesn't matter what genre the game is to compare the versitality of the editors.
Versitality, to me, means what you are able to do with the editor. So for example, it is pretty much impossible to make a 'fake Slayer' in the current TCB engine. This is an example of a lack of versitality. And there are many others. (Not particularly a criticism, just explaining). Yet the TCB editor is far more versatile than the JtRH or AE editors were - the recent 'salamander' hold would have been completely impossible in JtRH or AE.

What Snacko - and I, for that matter - want to know is, whether there will be similar amounts of things that you can't do using the editor, or whether you really will be able to do pretty much anything you want (with sufficient effort and programming skill).
08-05-2008 at 12:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts
vittro
DanielFishman wrote:
But it doesn't matter what genre the game is to compare the versitality of the editors.
Versitality, to me, means what you are able to do with the editor. So for example, it is pretty much impossible to make a 'fake Slayer' in the current TCB engine. This is an example of a lack of versitality. And there are many others. (Not particularly a criticism, just explaining). Yet the TCB editor is far more versatile than the JtRH or AE editors were - the recent 'salamander' hold would have been completely impossible in JtRH or AE.

What Snacko - and I, for that matter - want to know is, whether there will be similar amounts of things that you can't do using the editor, or whether you really will be able to do pretty much anything you want (with sufficient effort and programming skill).

In a certain way, yes, but the "impossibility to remake the Slayer" it's called by me a lack of scripting features. Versality, in my opinion, is how fast you can make stuff and how easy you can.

To add more versality to TCB editor, for example, I would like drawing tools like "line" and "fill bucket".

---

Questions :

(also related to TCB) Can you make a sum or a subtraction between 2 or more variables? I never tried $var1$ + $var2$ + $var3*.

Can you do $var1$ + STR? (or any other attribute)

Do popular feature requests like (walk on NPCs) and many others have been implemented? If yes, will we see them sometimes in TCB?

Can you deal damage (in a special situation) equal to a variable, but not to STR?

[Last edited by vittro at 08-05-2008 12:31 AM]
08-05-2008 at 12:28 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
eytanz wrote:
Mimics can fight monsters remotely, but they use your stats (and lower your HP if they get hurt).
But Beethro doesn't die if his mimics get hurt!
Why can't you be flawlessly consistent?
vittro wrote:
In a certain way, yes, but the "impossibility to remake the Slayer" it's called by me a lack of scripting features. Versality, in my opinion, is how fast you can make stuff and how easy you can.
Then your definition of "versatility" is as wrong as your spelling. Sorry, but this is not something you get to debate. Check the dictionary.
I would like drawing tools like "line" and "fill bucket".
There are plenty of programs for sprite editing. No point in duplicating the coding in DROD. Why don't you ask the devs what software their spriters use?

[Last edited by Jatopian at 08-05-2008 12:34 AM : combined double post]
08-05-2008 at 12:29 AM
<<3456
Page 7 of 16
891011>>
New Topic New Poll
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask questions about DROD RPG (You know you want to) This topic has been locked
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com