Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : A Tale of Two Kingdoms (An epic faerie tale adventure game, Deluxe Edition now released.)
Page 5 of 10
6789>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
IP: Logged
icon Re: A Tale of Two Kingdoms (0)  
glamrocker91 wrote:
I have a real problem. I am playing this game on Windows XP, and I am really into it. However I am having a real problem when entering Thierna na Oge. I try to do the puzzle with the doors, items and gems and I get only so far before the game either crashes, or my pc itself crashes.
Frankly I have no idea what is causing this, but it appears to be a conflict between the AGS engine and your system setup. You do have the most recent version of ATOTK, so the best I can suggest to you is (1) run dxdiag and/or upgrade your DirectX; or (2) run the ATOTK setup and fiddle with the settings (e.g. if you're running full-screen, go windowed, and vice versa).

Here's an alternative idea: you can bypass the Crystal Cave either by using the wishing well (if you haven't already) or by giving the Pooka a bottle of cider...

02-23-2009 at 05:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
glamrocker91
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Thank you so much for your quick reply.
I am going to be honest I was really bored out of my mind trying to figure out what to do until I got the hint.(I was scared it would take a week)

I would also like to thank you for making such a terrific game. A Tale of Two Kingdoms really is probably the best game Iv'e ever played with the AGS software. It has beautiful graphics, and the screens are breathtaking. The portraits are really nice too.(not too cartoony, and not too real) The music is really great too, it adds alot to the game. But overall the best part of the game is the story - You are a very creative writer and I cannot wait to finish this game now. I hope there is a sequel to the game or another couple games much like it. It truly is an epic that I would have paid 30-40 bucks for back in the day. :)

Quest Fighter, Quest for Yrolg and Hero of Infamous Kingdoms are also pretty funny, but A Tale of Two Kingdoms is the masterpiece.

So once again thank you for helping, and thank you for making the game.
02-23-2009 at 05:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dark-Star
Registered just to say thank you to everyone who helped make ATOTK. While it's not the most unique (fantasy-themed games are a dime a dozen these days), not one other AGS game I've ever seen had better scenery, music, or rewards for 'playing good'.

The graphics overall are amazingly detailed for a QVGA-resolution, and in some places nothing short of beautiful. Good enough to make me stop and just look around at the surroundings, and to imagine myself standing there in reality. Who says you need HDTV resolution and 32-bit color for lifelike pictures?

Music is a department that in many AGS titles, quite simply, stinks. ATOTK's well-written tunes not only fit the scene at hand but enhance it. Peaceful melodies for the woodlands, an appropriate 'danger song', and many more well-done pieces all give the game a polished quality.

The scoring system was an excellent idea. Higher ratings of honor & wisdom for behaving in-game as one should in RL is a far better reward than merely awarding an arbitrary amount of 'points'. And all the intriguing side quests needed to get a perfect score simply gives ATOTK an excellent replay value.

And last but certainly not least...the game is freeware with a capital F. In ages past such a well-made title could have easily sold for $30, yet it is provided free of charge to the public. :thumbsup To cash-strapped users like myself such generosity is a godsend. Thank you more than words can ever say.
05-07-2009 at 07:13 PM
WubbyDub
GREAT GAME!... I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am an fan of the old King's Quest games and this took me back. Great story line. The only thing that I didn't like was that I was not able to go back and correct something that I had missed so I had to start over a few times because I wanted to enjoy it to the fullest. Thanks for several hours of pleasure.
05-22-2009 at 01:47 AM
ausboy9090
Hi there

Can somebody please tell how to turn on the director's commentary cannot seem to find out how. Do I have to download a speech pack?

Thanks
Shaun
06-26-2009 at 12:59 PM
Danjen02
Rank Points: 11
When you beat the game and start a new round, you get a blue cup. You use it in each room to see the commentary.

06-26-2009 at 08:48 PM
GrumbleGus
icon A Tale of Two Kingdoms on the Mac (0)  
I was just reading the FAQ and it mentioned that there had been no feedback on running ATATK via emulation on the Mac.

I just installed it on My Intel Mac running MacOS 10.5 using Codeweavers WINE based CrossOver (emulating XP) without a hitch. No Windows required.

So far it runs just fine and looks like an interesting game. I like the music, too.

Cheers
11-04-2009 at 10:14 PM
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
Yeah, I wish they'd release the music, but all they've released is a jukebox program that only works for a few less impressive tracks.

11-04-2009 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant
Jatopian wrote:
Yeah, I wish they'd release the music, but all they've released is a jukebox program that only works for a few less impressive tracks.
The jukebox program works for all of the tracks.

As I've told you in the past, the agreement I've made with the composers does not allow me to put up all of the music tracks for stand-alone downloading.

11-05-2009 at 09:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danjen02
Out of sheer curiousity, what file format are they saved as?

11-05-2009 at 09:41 AM
Jatopian
Radiant wrote:
The jukebox program works for all of the tracks.
No, it really does not. Pressing any of the selection buttons often flies right past the majority of track titles, each displayed for a fraction of a second. It is only possible to play about five tracks, most commonly "Hymn to Geraint", "Solstice", "Confounded", "Bedazzled", and "Cataclysmic".

11-05-2009 at 07:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant
icon Re: A Tale of Two Kingdoms (+1)  
Jatopian wrote:
No, it really does not.
According to the accompanying readme file, "This jukebox should be placed in the directory containing A Tale of Two Kingdoms, otherwise it won't work." Does that help?

11-05-2009 at 11:10 PM
Jatopian
iiiinteresting. I don't recall ever seeing a readme, and I usually do read them. Oh well, crisis averted.

Wonder why it worked at all, then...?

[Last edited by Jatopian at 11-06-2009 12:04 AM]
11-06-2009 at 12:03 AM
Transcend
Hey!

Love the game, although a bit too challenging at times... :P
But, then again, I guess that's the intention; to keep one playing for hours.

Need a hint though...

Can't find the comb! I've located the screen (south of the giant?!), but it's not possible to get the water-bottle up in the left corner because the menu-tray keeps sliding down. Been clicking the screen a few thousand times now... Can you help?

Again, thank you for making the game. It's awesome. :D
12-06-2009 at 11:45 PM
Danjen02
In the screen south of the giant, the comb is found
Click here to view the secret text

12-07-2009 at 04:18 AM
Naraoia
Hi guys,

I've just started ATOTK, and I'm having trouble sneaking past the second guard to the stables in chapter 2. The walkthrough just says that I have to walk forward a bit, wait for the guard to start moving down, and run for it. I walked forward and waited (many times :(), but the moment I move from there he spots me. Is there anything I missed? :unsure

Thanks!

[Last edited by Naraoia at 07-27-2011 12:24 PM]
03-09-2010 at 07:38 PM
Radiant
I suppose the walkthrough may need updating.

The trick is simply to look at where the guard is, and to make sure you are not in the place he is looking at.

03-13-2010 at 10:01 AM
Naraoia
Radiant wrote:
I suppose the walkthrough may need updating.

The trick is simply to look at where the guard is, and to make sure you are not in the place he is looking at.

I tried again. I made sure the guard had his back to me. He still spots me. :unsure
03-17-2010 at 03:44 PM
Labrynian Rebel
I'm stuck on chapter 5, I checked a walkthrough and I can't get any farther in the game unless I get the comb, and to get the comb I need water, but I gave my bottle to the tailor and now that the tailor has fled town I can't get it back! :?

What am I to do?

Edit: I've looked up solutions to this problem and they tell me to have the magical creature attack the goblins, but I already smashed the sorceror's orb. They also say you can find a bottle if you don't have one on the sleeping goblin in the orchard, but when I click on him it says the goblins carrying nothing of interest. I really think I found a game-ending scenario :weep

[Last edited by Labrynian Rebel at 04-09-2010 01:17 AM : more information is useless]
04-08-2010 at 11:14 PM
Radiant
Yes. I believe this is the only dead end found in ATOTK; if you give the bottle to Midir, then don't pick it back up, then wait until he leaves town, you can no longer retrieve the bottle.

This means that yes, you have to restore an earlier saved game. Sorry about that. It shouldn't take a lot of time to get back to the point where you were.

04-09-2010 at 10:18 AM
Danjen02
Radiant wrote:
Yes. I believe this is the only dead end found in ATOTK
Would it be considered a bug then? You could easily patch it so Maeldun stumbles upon the bottle in the forest if the tailor dropped it on his way out, no?

04-09-2010 at 11:31 AM
Radiant
Danjen02 wrote:
Would it be considered a bug then?

Yes, it would. That means that if we'd do a version update of ATOTK, we'd also fix this.

04-09-2010 at 11:36 AM
Labrynian Rebel
I just finished the game today. :thumbsup

During the end of the game you can talk to the guards in front of the main gate and they say the exact same thing as when you talk to them at the begining of the game! I think I have a knack for breaking games (at least this bug was funny, guards calling you "milord" and then killing you :fun )

04-10-2010 at 05:06 PM
Jenny
Danjen02 wrote:
Radiant wrote:
Yes. I believe this is the only dead end found in ATOTK
Would it be considered a bug then? You could easily patch it so Maeldun stumbles upon the bottle in the forest if the tailor dropped it on his way out, no?

I had a similar issue at this point of the game. I have the bottle, but I have holy water in it at the moment, and I'm going to need that later.

Unless I'm missing something, is there anything else I could do?

Thanks for the help!

[Last edited by Jenny at 06-05-2010 04:36 AM]
06-05-2010 at 04:28 AM
Radiant
I'm afraid you can no longer get the best ending or the maximum score from that point, although you can still complete the game normally.

06-05-2010 at 10:54 PM
Raz
icon Problem running the game (0)  
I have recently installed "A Tale of Two Kingdoms" on a new computer and it doesn't work - when activating the game, all I get is a dark screen (the sound does play in the background). I have tried tinkering with the options window, but nothing seems to work. Do I need to install any kind of video driver to play the game properly? I use Windows XP.
06-13-2010 at 07:15 AM
Danjen02
It does sound like a missing driver, but I'm unfamiliar with the system requirements offhand, so Radiant will have to answer that for you.

06-13-2010 at 07:22 AM
Radiant
Try running Dxdiag and see what happens. Yes, this does sound like a driver issue.

Have you tried using the winsetup.exe to switch to windowed mode instead of full-screen?

06-13-2010 at 04:49 PM
Dracace
Hi, Only a question:
"If you give it to a man,
you still keep it if you can"

What is the answer?
07-05-2010 at 07:18 AM
Naraoia
Dracace wrote:
Hi, Only a question:
"If you give it to a man,
you still keep it if you can"

What is the answer?

Assuming this is a riddle in the game, I haven't encountered it (much less the solution), but I'm pretty darn sure it's

07-05-2010 at 08:43 AM
Page 5 of 10
6789>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : A Tale of Two Kingdoms (An epic faerie tale adventure game, Deluxe Edition now released.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com