Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Zeta's World
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Zaratustra
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 55
IP: Logged
icon Zeta's World (0)  
Zeta's World is a old school platformer game in the vein (the jugular in fact) of Super Mario World with oldschool graphics and oldschool difficulty. Give the demo a shot!
06-28-2007 at 08:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1134
icon Re: Zeta's World (0)  
What is in this version that's not in Zeux's World? The opening levels are mostly the same.

06-28-2007 at 10:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zaratustra
Rank Points: 55
hmmm. Basically

* New music
* Sets of random levels tucked away here and there
* Time trial / boss match modes
* Ruby scripted for haxx0r-friendliness

If you haven't played it, you can give it a try. If you have, you can either show your support or link it to people that haven't seen it yet!

:D :) :| -_- :unsure

[Last edited by Zaratustra at 06-29-2007 05:26 AM]
06-29-2007 at 05:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
No.

No, this is not worth twenty dollars.

I'm sorry.

Not in this day and age.

What's more, black outlines. There is no excuse. If you're mimicking the early NES days, you do not use them because you didn't spare the colour back then. You're aiming here for something along the lines of Super Mario Brothers 3 in graphic quality--and not even then, because there was some genuine art skill in the sprites.

I accept that not everybody does super awesome sprites. Me, I do okay sprites, and I can't begin to draw properly. But I don't go 'no, my sprites are lol oldschool'. Oldschool looked oldschool because you had a seriously limited number of tools, and you were doing your absolute best with what you had. Back when people were making games like this, you were agonizing over what shade of red Mario's hat was going to be, because you were going to be using that red for god knows what else. You had a palette that had to be acceptable for the entirety of the freaking game.

What's more, I like the inability to keep the art style straight. This is a hard part, I admit, but here we have our black outline sprites, then we magically figure out 'no, it should be really dark green' just in time for the grass on top of the platforms, and then....?!?! Why are we anti-aliasing the platform itself? Even if we aren't, it sure looks like we are, and by god why are we making a platform artistically more interesting to look at than the MAIN CHARACTER OF THE GAME?

All in all, just...geh. I am tired of hearing 'oldschool pixelwork' as secret euphemism for 'I don't know what I'm doing'.

06-29-2007 at 11:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1917
Did you create this game?
If so, I think it'd be better if you were to mention that.
06-29-2007 at 02:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Listen to banjooie, he has a DeviantArt account!

Also: he makes some good points. Zeux World was free, a labour of love, as it were, and this appears to be a pretty direct ripoff.

Back when people were making games like this, you were agonizing over what shade of red Mario's hat was going to be, because you were going to be using that red for god knows what else. You had a palette that had to be acceptable for the entirety of the freaking game.

I understand that this was the reason Sonic 1 wouldn't work with Sonic & Knuckles: they found that Sonic shared palette colours with other things in the game, which all turned red when Sonic was swapped out for Knuckles.

What's more, I like the inability to keep the art style straight.

This is probably my biggest disappointment about DROD, actually: Erik's art style, in the obstacles, is unique, and it'd be nice if it spread to the rest of the game. It's also why Beethro has a lot more red than he used to: he's the only orangey thing on the board, so he pops. Warm colours are particularly good for making characters pop, so a cyan character with no distinctive features pretty much screams 'I don't know what I'm doing'.

Also: generic character. Generic characters, to me, mean a generic game. Most top-tier games are happy to add on additional gameplay systems that reflect their characters' personalities (although this is a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem, and the angry character probably gets angry because they wanted a rage bar and not the other way around).

06-29-2007 at 02:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
I suppose the main issue here is there isn't quite enough new content here to justify $20. Don't take this as haggling, but $20 is a little high for a formerly-freeware game. Perhaps you could go by Fully Ramblomatic's model and offer the original version for free, and a deluxe version for a small donation. Or simply ignore the advice and continue selling at $20.
I'd say there's about $8 worth of new content here, I'd pay $10, maybe $15. Again, I'm not haggling, I'm just offering my opinion.
The random-level sets are pretty neat, though.

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 06-29-2007 05:48 PM]
06-29-2007 at 05:47 PM
McFrugal
Rank Points: 59
Pinnacle wrote:
I suppose the main issue here is there isn't quite enough new content here to justify $20. Don't take this as haggling, but $20 is a little high for a formerly-freeware game.

Here's a question. Would you pay $20 for King Dugan's Dungeon?

larrymurk wrote:
Did you create this game?
If so, I think it'd be better if you were to mention that.

Yes, Zaratustra is the creator of both Zeux's World and Zeta's World. Some other guys did the sound effects and music this time.

Mattcrampy wrote:
Listen to banjooie, he has a DeviantArt account!

Also: he makes some good points. Zeux World was free, a labour of love, as it were, and this appears to be a pretty direct ripoff.

I don't think it can be a ripoff if it's made by the same guy.

Banjooie wrote:
What's more, I like the inability to keep the art style straight. This is a hard part, I admit, but here we have our black outline sprites, then we magically figure out 'no, it should be really dark green' just in time for the grass on top of the platforms, and then....?!?! Why are we anti-aliasing the platform itself? Even if we aren't, it sure looks like we are, and by god why are we making a platform artistically more interesting to look at than the MAIN CHARACTER OF THE GAME?

Have you had a really bad day? Do you just hate the term "oldschool"? It doesn't seem like you're viewing this game in an unbiased manner. In fact your post seemed... a little over the top.

When I play the game, all black outlines are black in all stages, and nothing is antialiased. Maybe there's a video card compatability issue here?
06-29-2007 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
I'm just looking at a couple screenshots, actually, you can see it on the bloody website.

Also: I'd say I wouldn't actually pay $20 for KDD 2.0. Would I pay $9 for it? Sure. Would I pay $20 if it procured me the JtRH engine, KDD, and The Choice? Sure.

See? That's the difference.

What's more, you should listen to me not because I have a DA account, but because I am totally awesome. I have a PhD in it somewhere.
Have you had a really bad day? Do you just hate the term "oldschool"? It doesn't seem like you're viewing this game in an unbiased manner. In fact your post seemed... a little over the top.

The game could be great, I don't care. When you're trying to hide 'I don't know how to do pixel art that great' behind 'it looks totally oldschool lol', it fills my heart with fiery angry hateful rage. Oldschool pixel art was about fitting as much crap as you could into as small a place as you could. Mario has a mustache because that's one more piece of detail they could fit in here. This guy is not trying to add extra detail, outside of some basic pillow shading or whatever.

AND YES I get it he posts here whatever.

06-29-2007 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zonhin
Rank Points: 99
I agree with Banjooie. 20 dollars is far to much. Especially for a platformer. With nothing to set it apart from any other game out there. With some other flaws I guess. I was too lazy to play it.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
06-29-2007 at 10:01 PM
Pinnacle
Y'know, I enjoyed the original quite a bit and decided I'd get it.
But I never got a download link. I paid, got a receipt by email, but no download link. Can you help?

06-30-2007 at 01:34 AM
McFrugal
Rank Points: 59
There's problems with the website right now, so it doesn't do a lot automatically. Log in and check the "My Files" section, and there should be a download link. If you didn't create an account, an admin should have created an account for you. You will recieve an email with your username and password very quickly if not immediately- check your Junk Email folder, it's probably in there.

[Last edited by McFrugal at 06-30-2007 04:57 AM]
06-30-2007 at 04:55 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
McFrugal wrote:
I don't think it can be a ripoff if it's made by the same guy.

Egg + face = Mattcrampy

Other than that, I think I'm done here.

06-30-2007 at 05:56 PM
duggie
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
This game is now free with a $5 or more donation.

http://zarat.us/tra/offline-games/zeta-s-world.html
04-25-2011 at 10:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Zeta's World (+1)  
04-26-2011 at 12:07 AM
Banjooie
Or more. Five dollars /or more/.

The sad part is Eversion turned out to be pretty fricking awesome.
04-27-2011 at 03:05 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Zeta's World
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com