Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : unlimited undo
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
IP: Logged
icon Re: unlimited undo (0)  
Too true. One extra idea I had was to be able to restore to the most recent room clear, because some rooms you can clear and then do something stupid preventing you from leaving (WW-on-trapdoor rooms, I'm talking to you. :angry). They tend to be difficult too. It can't break anything, cause monsters usually are the hard part.
02-06-2006 at 11:38 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
icon Re: unlimited undo (+1)  
Perhaps I should tell you something: I've always liked computer games, but since I discovered DROD, I've hardly played anything else. It's been two years now. For 20 of those 24 months I wasn't the least bit concerned with how many moves it took me to complete a room. I was well aware of the high score table, but I couldn't be bothered. In fact, I had all sorts of dark thoughts like: "What's the point? DROD is about solving puzzles, not wasting time by replaying a room when you've already solved it. How silly can you get? Going to the east exit because it's closer, only to come right back and go to the west exit." By then I had completed every available hold, and temporarily ran out of rooms to play, so I thought, what the heck, let's see what happens if I upload my JtRH scores, just for interest sake and for something DROD to do. (My average rank was 84) At this point in time I'd have been dead set against UU, because I didn't know what I know now. Then I had an experience similar to what Abyzzmal experienced. I discovered that trying to minimise moves is interesting. It's even more addictive than solving rooms. It means every puzzle is two puzzles in one: You can just solve it and get out, or you can minimise the number of moves used. It turns boring rooms into fun rooms. You find yourself solving rooms in unintended, more challenging ways. Soon I changed my opinion about UU, when I found that doing this would be even more fun with UU.

[Last edited by michthro at 02-07-2006 11:58 AM]
02-07-2006 at 09:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I feel obligated to throw in my two greckles, but on the whole I'm pretty ambivalent about it, so I probably changed my mind a few times in the middle of writing the below. Umm. yeah.

--

I agree that UU shouldn't be necessary for ordinary solving of rooms - if it is required then it means the architect didn't include enough checkpoints in appropriate places. As far as gaining high scores go, if it's a standard thing then I don't know whether anyone would be necessarily worse off. I certainly don't believe that it will turn everyone into superoptimisers - solving a room efficiently is too complex a task to do by trying every combination of moves. Improvements are often found by solving the room using a different approach, small changes near the start that only have a noticable effect much later (michthro already mentioned Dusty Dungeon:L1:1N2E), or simple manoeuvres that UU isn't going to help you see (e.g. KDD2:L19:1S1E - spot the difference between my and michthro's demos). I don't think any of these would be made easier to do with the addition of UU. That's not to say UU doesn't have its uses in optimisation - it is very useful when you are facing a horde of monsters - ideally you want to kill one per turn while at the same time you generally want to retreat or advance as far as possible. As monster movement order is largely opaque, finding a good sequence of moves is largely a matter of trial and error and UU can help with that (although I'd probably prefer some kind of indication of relative move order)

So should we have it? I've been doing fine without it so far, although admittedly I have made use of the editor once or twice (mainly to add checkpoints). I did try out michthro's mod on a couple of rooms (namely Fun Park: 1N2E - where it was very useful - and 1N2W - where I probably didn't need it.) It does have the advantage over the editor of being able to combine restore and undo, as well as saving demos. But I'm not using because a) tisn't fair and I don't really need it, b) no idea if it'll work after the next patch, and I don't want to become crutched by it, c) um.. I forget what c was.

eytanz wrote: You can also just watch the #1 demo and replay it if all you are interested is in short-cutting the stage where you try to figure out how to optimize. Plus, it's harder than it sounds to play a room without mistakes, at least for the rooms that need more than a couple of hundred moves.

Speaking from experience, for most rooms it's not that hard. You generally only need to remember a series of things to do - 'enter facing N, hit this orb, wiggle as you run N to line up the roaches, run them through then kill that queen, etc' Also, I'm fairly sure that someone wrote a program that prints out the moves of a demo.

Tahnan wrote:
Click here to view the secret text

OK, long boring story, suitable for telling while sitting around a tavern in the Eighth while trying to top the stories of other delvers.

That's one of my favourite rooms in KDD. :D I'm pretty sure that the coolness factor of a fast solution is proportional to the difference between the moves of the optimal solution and the moves it took when you first did it.

skell wrote:
Michthro wrote:
And what about the chess analogy? DROD, like chess, and many other games, lends itself to analysis. The way it is at the moment is just impractical. Not having a convenient, user-friendly interface for analysing DROD rooms is a serious defect.
Imagine undo in chess. You are playing with your friend and suddenly:
"Buddy, i must undo 5 moves, because I will lose!"
Would he answer:
"No problem. "
or maybe:
"What the? This isn't some kind of computer game wney you save and can load! Stop fooling around, and play with the consequences of your moves!"?

Um, you're misunderstanding the analogy. It's not talking about playing a chess game, it's about analysing a chess position. It should be like this:
"In this position, what is the best move? Well, if I do this, then he does that, then move my pawn, he moves his pawn, then I take with the knight, he takes with the bishop, I take with the rook, he takes with his knight, then I can check with my queen.
But wait, what if he takes with the knight first? Better take a few moves back to see... no wait, I can't take more than one move back, I'll have to start again from the beginning."
(unless the knight landed on a checkpoint of course ;) )
02-07-2006 at 09:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
michthro
Thanks to you too, Rabscuttle. (I was wondering where you were, and I'm glad to see you must have posted before seeing my last post.)

I can't help feeling you're holding back a little, though. Here's why: You and I have whiled away many a pleasant hour having a good old fight over the #1 spot for one room or another. By my reckoning, the score is more or less even. I know how badly I wished for UU on some of these occasions. You're a better player than me, but not so much better that you didn't also wish for UU quite badly (or the score would have been more like: michthro: maybe 1 with luck, Rabscuttle: >>0). Not as badly as me, but you must also have wanted it quite badly on occasion. Yes? No? Sorry if this offends you.
02-07-2006 at 10:13 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Well, Michtro, I agree with you, that I wasn't too nice, and after reading what I and You wrote... I realize my thoughts weren't too correct, but what I should expect if I wrote it at late night? So really sorry for being rude to all, who has ben offended by me... :weep

But from the other hand, I still say I'm against UU, because it will ruin my fun, and as somebody mentioned, I'm afraid I won't be able to not use it.
And on moire *but*, I'm with Stigant's idea...

So again Sorry...

ps. Well, now I have a lesson to think more before writing something...

02-07-2006 at 10:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
michthro
No hard feelings, skell. :) Always glad to know I've been able to teach someone something. You're perfectly entitled to be against UU, as long as you respect other people's opinions. What do you say we agree to delete our respective posts and put this nasty incident behind us?
02-07-2006 at 10:49 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: unlimited undo (+2)  
You know, I think that if UU was like a cheat, it wouldn't be like a Godmode cheat, it be more like a different cheat. I forget exactly what it was because I haven't played the game in a while, but has anyone played the game Jedi: Outcast for the PC? There was a cheat in there that allowed to create enemies whenever you wanted, in the first room of the game you could battle 3 final bosses. (I won by the way, that took about 3 weeks. :lol) I think, as long as UU was only allowed after you master a hold, and that they don't count as highscores at all, that UU could add to the replayability immensly.

EDIT: I just realized, most holds already have this. After you master a hold, you go into the editor, select a room, and you have UU. And they don't count as highscores! Yehaw! :w00t

[Last edited by Ezlo at 02-07-2006 11:43 AM]
02-07-2006 at 11:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Thanks Michthro, and I think this is rather good idea to delete this posts :).

After wondering a bit, I realized how kind of cheat it might be, if it would be. Did anybody played on Emulators? Most of them have ability to save state anytime you want, so you can restore anytime you wish. I think it might be something like that, or maybe not :).

02-07-2006 at 11:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
michthro
skell wrote:
Thanks Michthro, and I think this is rather good idea to delete this posts :).
OK, done. I left the first paragraph because I want to say that anyway, and it has nothing to do with our little, er, misunderstanding.
skell wrote:
After wondering a bit, I realized how kind of cheat it might be, if it would be. Did anybody played on Emulators? Most of them have ability to save state anytime you want, so you can restore anytime you wish. I think it might be something like that, or maybe not :).
There would be many ways to cheat. You could, for instance, modify the source and use your own build. See also this thread
02-07-2006 at 12:07 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Grab a hold that's marked 'anyone edit', then play it in the editor. The editor allows unlimited undo.

Those of us who have played DROD with unlimited undo feel that it takes away a good deal of the tension of the game. Sure, getting highscores would be easier, and you'd be able to jump from unsuccessful highscore effort to unsuccessful highscore effort a lot quicker, but do you honestly think that's the only place where you'd use it?

Highscores wouldn't be nearly as interesting for the common man to get, because the tension of whether a particular approach could work, even though it's far riskier, would disappear. After undoing over and over again, you'd discover eventually that it's achieveable or it's impossible. That doesn't take cleverness, that merely takes persistance. And to beat that highscore, someone has to match your persistance, and then go further.

I don't think persistance is a particularly desirable metric for success in any game. Certainly, you need a certain amount of persistance, but it's cleverness that ultimately decides how much persistance one will need.

02-07-2006 at 12:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Michthro wrote:
There would be many ways to cheat. You could, for instance, modify the source and use your own build. See also this thread
Yeah I know this topic, but I'm rather not interested in using it :). Besides, to don't be too off-topic, I have one small thought walking on my head... I think I can accept UU, but if it can only be usable in finished rooms... so It won't tempt me :D.

Well, I also don't know how it is to fight for good place, because I am still using demo, but... well... maybe... after all, I think it might be rather helpful... but... err... maybe not unlimited... uh... but... well... 30 undos... like... one spawn cycle... :unsure ...
I think... I'm against it, if this would be going to be usable anytime... but... not really sure... well... I think I will be with it... if this can only be usable after finishing, errr.... room... :blush

Uhh... you might wonder... why such mind changing... ur... actually I'm playing KDD... the old version... and I tried to finish the rooms... with the least number of moves... and... it really was... uh... a bit... err... frustrating... :)

02-07-2006 at 12:54 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Um, you're misunderstanding the analogy. It's not talking about playing a chess game, it's about analysing a chess position. It should be like this:
"In this position, what is the best move? Well, if I do this, then he does that, then move my pawn, he moves his pawn, then I take with the knight, he takes with the bishop, I take with the rook, he takes with his knight, then I can check with my queen.
But wait, what if he takes with the knight first? Better take a few moves back to see... no wait, I can't take more than one move back, I'll have to start again from the beginning."
(unless the knight landed on a checkpoint of course )

Yeah, but the point to his counterpoint to the chess analogy is that in chess, you do all the undoing in your head before you commit the next move to the board. You can do that in DROD also (with the exception of move priority funkinesses) to simulate UU in your head, rather than commiting moves in the game.

02-07-2006 at 01:25 PM
michthro
Mattcrampy wrote:
Highscores wouldn't be nearly as interesting for the common man to get, because the tension of whether a particular approach could work, even though it's far riskier, would disappear. After undoing over and over again, you'd discover eventually that it's achieveable or it's impossible. That doesn't take cleverness, that merely takes persistance. And to beat that highscore, someone has to match your persistance, and then go further.
DROD is far too complex for mere persistence to be of much help. Getting high scores is first of all about ideas, and then sorting out the nitty-gritty details of those ideas.

stigant wrote:
...in chess, you do all the undoing in your head before you commit the next move to the board.
When you're playing, yes. Not when after the game you analyse a position on the board. I don't know.. I can't make it clearer than Rabscuttle did.

But anyway, the idea was to convince Mike Rimer, and he'll have none of it, so that's that. And I'm tired of trying to make people see my side of it, when no-one even bothered to try what I suggested they try (except skell, who seems to be beginning to see my point). Everyone who has never tried has an opinion about what it would be like. I must say I find that a little surprising and disappointing - not in keeping with the impression I had of this forum.

02-07-2006 at 01:54 PM
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348
icon Re: unlimited undo (+4)  
I think most of us have played with unlimited undo in the editor, at least a little, and I think most of us are somewhat sympathetic to your view. I don't think anyone has been especially rude or closed-minded here; I think, mainly, most of us who routinely post on the forum have been around a long time, and have seen the various iterations of the game that unites us, and we only want to see changed what is completely beneficial to be changed.

There was a debate with checkpoints, early on in Caravel's life, that might be compared to ours here. There was the debate about the single undo for years leading up to 2.0. Those features were added, because it was decided (I assume) that the player deserves a little bit of a handicap, and that the prevention of extreme tedium is a good thing.

However, there are good things about tedium! Tedium is a foundation for a wide variety of video games. The entire idea of a learning curve is based in tedium. It adds tension and drama, it frustrates and ultimately satisfies. It is the build before the payoff, the setup before the punchline, the slow incline before the roller coaster sets off down the chute. For optimizing rooms, unlimited undo would be a wonderful thing, but for suspense, for the continuing fear of being another corpse in these Deadly Rooms of Death, our current system, I think, is superior. I am with Crampy on this.

But as you said, the whole debate is meaningless. I understand your disappointment, as the minimization of the rooms is fundamental to the game for you, and you've presented your argument well and politely. But DROD straddles a line between action and puzzle, and while unlimited undo might improve the puzzle component, the fear of many of us is that it will be at a sacrifice to the action. Which, as I understand it, is the genre classification Erik has been giving to the game.
02-07-2006 at 04:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
michthro
Well, that post makes me feel a lot better, Abbyzzmal. The very kind of post I had in mind when referring to my impression of this forum. umm..er..I did mean players should try going for #1 scores, not just playing a little in the editor, but never mind.
DROD an action game? Imagine the war we could have about that. ;)

[Last edited by michthro at 02-07-2006 05:02 PM]
02-07-2006 at 05:01 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I'm generally against unlimited undo myself, but some specific rooms just need it badly.

*cough* Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : Secret room *cough*
I hope there will be nothing like this in TCB or I'll start demanding UU too... I've been replaying this room for the past 15-20 minutes, because it has my worst score at the moment and I'm only in the second chamber so far.
:blowup
02-07-2006 at 07:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348
Ha ha, that was the room I was talking about in my first post!

I don't have the high score anymore, though.

Edit: Also michthro, I wasn't sure what it was you suggested, so I just made something up. Sorry about that.

[Last edited by Abbyzzmal at 02-07-2006 09:59 PM]
02-07-2006 at 09:58 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
OK, I started skimming, and now I'm lost. Remind me why we're objecting to Unitarian Universalists, and is the point that they're better chess players than us, or worse?
02-07-2006 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
michthro wrote:
Thanks to you too, Rabscuttle. (I was wondering where you were, and I'm glad to see you must have posted before seeing my last post.)

I can't help feeling you're holding back a little, though. Here's why: You and I have whiled away many a pleasant hour having a good old fight over the #1 spot for one room or another. By my reckoning, the score is more or less even. I know how badly I wished for UU on some of these occasions. You're a better player than me, but not so much better that you didn't also wish for UU quite badly (or the score would have been more like: michthro: maybe 1 with luck, Rabscuttle: >>0). Not as badly as me, but you must also have wanted it quite badly on occasion. Yes? No? Sorry if this offends you.

:)

Well, normally I don't mind too much repeating the same set of moves but it depends on how long that set of moves is, and how many times I have to repeat them. As I said, I have retreated to the editor on two or three occasions, although I generally want to throw in a checkpoint or two. So for example with Pitiful : Level 7: The Dark Lands : 2 West I added an extra checkpoint at the end of that annoyingly long entrance path.

As I said before UU is useful optimising against rampaging hordes, but in most cases I find that single undo provides a good level of information. Again, it depends on the room. I doubt I would have been to get such a good score on the Fun Park Ferris Wheel without UU. Although possible checkpoints on all the trapdoors would have worked as well. *shrug*

Doom wrote:
I'm generally against unlimited undo myself, but some specific rooms just need it badly.

I hope there will be nothing like this in TCB or I'll start demanding UU too... I've been replaying this room for the past 15-20 minutes, because it has my worst score at the moment and I'm only in the second chamber so far.
Tish pshaw nonsense! This room doesn't need UU, it's in completely discrete sections with a checkpoint before each. You can just work out each section separately (using f4), then join them together.

Tahnan wrote:
OK, I started skimming, and now I'm lost. Remind me why we're objecting to Unitarian Universalists, and is the point that they're better chess players than us, or worse?

No, the Univeral Unilateralists and it's because their queens spawn pawns. :P

02-08-2006 at 02:27 AM
michthro
Rabscuttle wrote:
So for example with Pitiful : Level 7: The Dark Lands : 2 West I added an extra checkpoint at the end of that annoyingly long entrance path.
*gasp* Why didn't I think of that? Do you know how many times you made me go through that entrance path?

EDIT: Can we agree then that using the editor is ok? (This has been suggested by Oneiromancer, though he didn't mean for high score purposes.) It's enough of a hassle that I won't be using it much either, probably only for adding checkpoints in cases like the above (which is a beautiful example of why something is needed to help avoid extreme tedium). I'd be perfectly happy with that.

[Last edited by michthro at 02-08-2006 08:36 AM]
02-08-2006 at 08:13 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Rabscuttle wrote:
Doom wrote:

Tish pshaw nonsense! This room doesn't need UU, it's in completely discrete sections with a checkpoint before each. You can just work out each section separately (using f4), then join them together.
I'm not talking about demo optimising. I don't even do that myself in rooms like this, because it's too tedious for my tastes. Sometimes I replay rooms again and again, but this isn't a fun room to do like that because you'll have to avoid each checkpoint. I only played through the room normally and made less time-wasting mistakes. Went still from 30th place to around 12th.

You say that implementing unlimited undo would encourage people to do things with trial and error? Well, in those few rooms that require trial and error like this one, I wouldn't mind having it at all. Other room types don't require unlimited undo in my opinion.
02-08-2006 at 10:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Why don't we put it on a per-room basis?

It'd be a hint that it's trial and error, if there's any indication that you can do it (Or put it in a lynchpin room to throw people off), and just make it, like. Make an object that does it. Like an hourglass that screws with time, or something.

Presumably, the Architects use it when they are in construction, and occasionally one is left in a room for mysterious reasons...
02-08-2006 at 08:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
An architect can already enable unlimited undo (or very nearly) in a room by putting checkpoints on every square. You'll be able to undo any movement other than sword swipes.

02-08-2006 at 08:38 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
stigant wrote:
An architect can already enable unlimited undo (or very nearly) in a room by putting checkpoints on every square. You'll be able to undo any movement other than sword swipes.
You'd also be able to inflate your player file to extraordinary proportions. :)

02-08-2006 at 08:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
A more conservative way to get a high amount of undo is to put a mimic in a 2x2 area of checkpoints. Just put a required orb in with the 2x2 mimic area to force the mimic to go there. Every time you make a significant direction change you get a new undo.

Not as complete as checkpoints everywhere, but more reasonable on the player file.

++Adam H. Peterson
02-08-2006 at 09:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mouse
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 246
How about rather than allowing unlimited undo, allowing more moves to be undone (such as 5)?

That'd get most people out of most situations in room where the Architect *forgot* (I'm being polite) to put enough (or any) checkpoints.

That way you can undo 1 move or undo 5 moves or restart from the last checkpoint (if there was one) or restart from the beginning.

Malcolm, Dave & Brock: Death by Goblins would be oh so much less frusting.....
02-08-2006 at 11:23 PM
michthro
Mouse wrote:
How about rather than allowing unlimited undo, allowing more moves to be undone (such as 5)?
Come to think of it, that's probaly all I really want. Most situations that require trial-and-error due to monster movement order wouldn't require more than 5 undos. Movement order, btw, is probably the strongest argument for UU - and contradicts the fundamental rule of full information - although I admit that even if monsters had big red numbers on their backs, it would still be extremely complicated, perhaps equivalent to being able to undo 3 moves (unless I moved at a rate of one move per minute or so).

However, I suspect the developers feel that anything more than one undo is much the same as UU, so I doubt it will be implemented. No harm in asking though, so, er, Caravel? Could we please be allowed more than one undo?

One more thing:
Abbyzzmal wrote:
There was a debate with checkpoints, early on in Caravel's life, that might be compared to ours here. There was the debate about the single undo for years leading up to 2.0.
How many people are still against undo? Can anyone possibly still be against checkpoints? (When I first got JtRH I avoided using undo, btw.. felt too guilty if I did, so I'd restart.) Yet, at the time there was a big debate. I don't think I have to spell it out. Not that I'm saying this is necessarily the same, but it could be. For all we know, sometime in the future newcomers to DROD will be horrified to learn that there was a time when one could only undo one move, the way I was shocked to learn that Webfoot DROD didn't have checkpoints. Then again, maybe not.
02-09-2006 at 05:14 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
There's also that if we open up unlimited undo, people will start making more rooms that /require/ unlimited undo to have a chance at solving.

Do we really want that?
02-09-2006 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
NO! Although tar makes me cry for 2 undos, when I cut tar, make 1 move THEN realize that I'm dead.
02-09-2006 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
forrestfire
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
If this was put into the game, then no one would die. It would be more like DRoL than DRoD.

DRoL=Deadly Rooms of Life.

:( Ah, no more challenge.

02-09-2006 at 11:26 PM
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : unlimited undo
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes