Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : TAPAKAHbI yCaTbIe (All)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.5/10 (24 votes)
σ 2.24
Author Name:Jonhy
Submitted By:
Hold Name:TAPAKAHbI yCaTbIe
Theme:All
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:13
Number of Rooms:183
Number of Monsters:1629
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:3 (+3 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Roaches.hold (40.8 KB)
Downloaded 2022 times.
License: Other
icon TAPAKAHbI yCaTbIe  
This is cool hold ! :)

Many people are happy !
01-01-2006 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Swivel
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 236
icon Re: TAPAKAHbI yCaTbIe (0)  
I had finished the hold a couple of hours ago. I have a lot of comments! However but it's getting late. So I say this:

The hold isn't particularly annoying. In fact, it's amusing at times. It does have a couple of minor architectural flaws (like the lack checkpoints in rooms with stairs) and tends to be drawn out. By this I mean that there are a lot of rooms that exist just for passing though. On the other hand, the hold has lynchpins that are both classic and creative. This hold uses the "hack 'n' slash" element that's unique to DROD.

But this hold, in my opinion, lacks purpose. Why did the author create it? For the player to have fun? To present difficult situations? For a novice player to learn about DROD?

There's just this gnawing sense of "Why?" Maybe the scrolls have something to do with it. But I don't even know what they say.

And that's just my opinion.
01-02-2006 at 03:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
It's some sort of bizarre competition with Khaim, I'm sure of it.
01-02-2006 at 08:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
I´m wondering if the titel and the scroll texts are just random letters or something cryptic. The puzzles are fairly easy by the way.
01-02-2006 at 12:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
icon Re: TAPAKAHbI yCaTbIe (+1)  
Actually, it's not cryptic, it's Cyrillic.
The title means something along the lines of 'Roaches with whiskers' (or mustached roaches, but that would be just odd), although my Russian's very poor, so I'm not sure.
01-02-2006 at 01:03 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
I have to say, this is one of the few holds I got partway through and then said "Wait--why am I playing this?" Certainly the Cyrillic scrolls didn't help; but it felt like a lot of walking through empty screens, followed by some semi-interesting rooms (but often rooms that were very straightforward: a few roaches plus a snake, with some snake-trap walls, for instance).

I more or less agree with Swivel's comments, above, though I don't know that I'd go so far as to say that it isn't particularly annoying.
01-02-2006 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
I suppose it'd be a nice beginner hold if it weren't for all the needless empty rooms, plus some odd not need elements appearing here and there. Way too many "hidden" paths through broken walls which is annoying. Also a large part of the last level had the player entering on force arrows which I hate because you can't re-enter with a better starting position without going to the restore screen.

Finally, not a checkpoint in sight. :thumbsdown Not that many rooms needed them, but it'd be nice to give the player a chance to save the progress at the end of each level and in some of the later rooms.

A few pluses are there were a few decent ideas, and a nice progress of difficulty that'd be fitting for someone who'd never played DROD before to try.

01-02-2006 at 06:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
I don't understand the title nor any scrolls.

The hold is very easy and has many passageways.

There don't appear to be any major bugs. :thumbsup
01-03-2006 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Wait, this is using a non-english alphabet?

Yeah, that would explain it.
01-03-2006 at 10:58 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Banjooie wrote:

Yeah, it's Russian. The letters are capitalized a bit weird in order to reproduce the correct look of the Cyrillic characters in these words.
It's pronounced "taa-raa-kaan-ee ooh-saat-ee-yeah".

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-04-2006 12:43 AM]
01-04-2006 at 12:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zaubberer
Rank Points: 251
mrimer wrote:
Banjooie wrote:

Yeah, it's Russian. The letters are capitalized a bit weird in order to reproduce the correct look of the Cyrillic characters in these words.
It's pronounced "taa-raa-kaan-ee ooh-saat-ee-yeah".

only for correctness a little excurs about the signs: the letters are not in 'russian' but in cyrillic. this type of letters is also usual in bulgary and (as far as i know) in parts of the formerly yugoslavia (for example in serbia). and of course in lots of parts of the formerly ussr! some elements of this you can also find in the greek alphabet. and the correct speaking of the hold title would be
'tarakanuj usatuje'. but you have to know that my transcription can't be really good because there vocals in the original that english language doesn't know. so the letter 'bI' is to speak nearly like 'ui' with a little touch to 'u(umlaut)i [üi]. and the 'e' will become to 'je', while the cyrillic sign for 'e' looks nearly like the sign for the current 'euro' €...

the hold might be very easy and and annoying too, but i really enjoy the cyrillic scrolls! i had lessons in russian for long years so that it is not difficult for me to read the scrolls. i can't translate lots of them but they are not important to solve the levels. so at all i think it is a nice idea to play with the language even if the hold is not perfect or near to be perfect.

zaubberer
:wizard
01-04-2006 at 11:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Is it just me? I thought this hold was quite enjoyable, at least for people that are looking for an easy hold, this is probably one of the better ones. Of course I've seen better one, like gamer's Beethro's First Job or rowrow's hold, but there are not really too many of them. And I've seen many more easy holds that are worse than this.

Considering it's also a DROD:AE hold, it's not that bad. Okay, it might be not too enjoyable by experienced players, but I think this could be one of those holds I will point to when someone wants a not-so-hard one, or someone who wants a completed player file. :)

01-04-2006 at 02:20 PM
mrimer
zaubberer wrote:
only for correctness a little excurs about the signs: the letters are not in 'russian' but in cyrillic.
That's exactly what I said, right?

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-04-2006 04:01 PM]
01-04-2006 at 04:01 PM
zaubberer
Rank Points: 251
:)

i wrote my answer above not to drop you, mrimer! the main reason:

question: Wait, this is using a non-english alphabet?
answer: Yeah, it's Russian.

this is not your complete answer, i know! but it could be understanded in this incomplete meaning i think.

and also i liked to write something like 'i know it better' to this posting
:thumbsup

zaubberer
:wizard
01-04-2006 at 04:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
zaubberer wrote:
and also i liked to write something like 'i know it better' to this posting
:thumbsup
Yeah, go for it! :thumbsup

01-04-2006 at 09:46 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I'm now on level 5! This hold is good! Begginers will be happy. At first look, that message you set made me think you were lying. but, well, i was wrong. BTW, have you heard of the SS? Well, people that have any hold rated higher than 8 will be choosen for the next season's SS. Just make a hold (to have more ideas, take JtRH because it is mostly effective) and send it to Erik. He will say if yes or no he chooses your hold. If yes, the hold will be improved by them and get released for the nearest season's SS or in the one afterwards. Since Winter SS is done if i'm right, if you get an enough high rating for this hold, it should be out for Spring SS. So, good luck!

(SORRY IF I WAS OFF TOPIC)

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

01-12-2006 at 12:32 AM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
This hold is good but wouldn´t work as a SS hold.
01-12-2006 at 06:37 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Um, SS holds can never have been publicly released. You have no idea what you are talking about.
01-13-2006 at 02:04 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
coppro, I'm pretty sure MeckMeck knows that (he's been around for a while, after all). He was responding to Jeff_Ray's post...I think MeckMeck was asserting that this hold wasn't SS material, not that he actually thought it could turn into one.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-13-2006 at 02:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Never mind.
01-13-2006 at 03:03 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Just beat this hold after some time away from it. I think there was a lot of "meh" involved, and then I got really annoyed on the last level, with forced arrows upon entry. Optimizers hate those, especially when there aren't checkpoints in the previous room. That kicked the overall rating down for sure. Pretty easy overall--no big challenges. 3 brains, 4 fun.

03-20-2009 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : TAPAKAHbI yCaTbIe (All) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com