Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Hermetic Puzzles (Our contest for December.)
Page 4 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged

File: Hermetic Puzzle.png (263.7 KB)
Downloaded 1527 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Halph's Map (0)  
The Puzzle:

Answer:

Click here to view the secret text

Reasoning:

Note:

I don't believe it is possible to find any other solutions that fit the puzzle (I couldn't find any), but I could be wrong, so if you spot an alternative, please let me know.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 12-19-2005 11:24 PM]
12-19-2005 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Hermetic Puzzles (+1)  
So... Agaricus5, isn't that puzzle impossible to complete without owning the full JtRH hold? In that case, the puzzle seems to be badly inconsistent with the rules. Sure, reliance on pre-existing information is acceptable, but what if that information isn't available to everyone?
ErikH2000 wrote:

Rules
3. The puzzle should be solvable and have one specific answer...
Although it doesn't exactly say the puzzle should be solvable by everyone, I think that's an unwritten requirement

[Last edited by Doom at 12-20-2005 06:18 AM]
12-20-2005 at 06:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom

File: Impossible.png (21.3 KB)
Downloaded 1107 times.
icon Re: Hermetic Puzzles (0)  
I'm reattaching my older puzzle with a slight modification to the rules, because I really don't have anything else to work with.

Answer:

12-20-2005 at 06:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Doom wrote:
So... Agaricus5, isn't that puzzle impossible to complete without owning the full JtRH hold? In that case, the puzzle seems to be badly inconsistent with the rules. Sure, reliance on pre-existing information is acceptable, but what if that information isn't available to everyone?
ErikH2000 wrote:

Rules
3. The puzzle should be solvable and have one specific answer...
Although it doesn't exactly say the puzzle should be solvable by everyone, I think that's an unwritten requirement
I guess this is true, now you mention it, although in that case, that should really have been stated specifically in the rules (and if this applies, then it should be done now), since it's a bit unfair to expect me to assume something that's not written down.

Technically, though, no puzzle is necessarily solvable to everyone immediately. For example, if I don't have JtRH or have ever met certain elements before, I might not necessarily know how they work, so I can't really solve a puzzle involving these. Or, if I don't speak English that well, I would find solving English-based lateral thinking puzzles difficult. Of course, I guess the major difference here is that to solve my puzzle, you would need to spend money to buy JtRH (which most people here probably could do), while everything else would only require time (and not money).

So, would your definition of "everyone" be "every voter who has access to enough time (and no other resource) to gain enough information to solve a puzzle within the timespan of the contest"?

Nevertheless, as we're so close to the deadline, I'll see if I can change the content then to something based on KDD, although this would still require people to have finished the hold (which does not necessarily apply to everyone who is participating, so I guess I still need to check that it's okay).

12-20-2005 at 11:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
agaricus5 wrote:
I guess this is true, now you mention it, although in that case, that should really have been stated specifically in the rules (and if this applies, then it should be done now), since it's a bit unfair to expect me to assume something that's not written down.
It's not a hard rule that your puzzle must be solvable by everyone. However, you might expect that people would rate your puzzle lower if they felt the requirements for finding a solution were unreasonable.

-Erik

12-20-2005 at 05:33 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Hermetic Puzzles (+1)  
well, technically, agaricus, you wouldn't need to beat KDD, as the entire thing is available from the Hints and Solutions board search.
12-20-2005 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Doom: Can you please add the red serpents to your list of "not in this room" things? I can still do it in 5 turns. :)

[Last edited by Tim at 12-22-2005 09:44 AM : Removed the hold as this is not an entry.]
12-20-2005 at 10:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388

File: path.png (11.9 KB)
Downloaded 1098 times.
Oh yeah, deadline.

Answer:

Explanation:

12-21-2005 at 02:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Just a reminder that the submission deadline for entries is today:

Local Time:12-22-2005 at 12:00 AM

-Erik

12-21-2005 at 05:55 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zaratustra
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 55

File: hermetic_puzzle.png (2.1 KB)
Downloaded 832 times.
License: All Rights Reserved
The answer is...

12-21-2005 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119

File: HermeticEntry_Stefan.png (3.9 KB)
Downloaded 826 times.
Answer:

12-21-2005 at 10:06 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979

File: dots.png (2.8 KB)
Downloaded 823 times.
License: Other
Answer:

[Last edited by Tim at 12-22-2005 12:04 AM : Moved explanation into answer.]
12-21-2005 at 11:03 PM
vylycyn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 486

File: Will.png (61.4 KB)
Downloaded 819 times.

12-21-2005 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I'm guessing that's deadline?

12-22-2005 at 02:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
We've passed the deadline. Any entries posted before this will be accepted, barring any problems with them I haven't noticed before.

I'm going to repost the puzzles in a separate topic. I'll be making slight changes to some posts so that explanations and other non-answer info is tucked away inside of a tag.

-Erik

12-22-2005 at 07:11 PM
Doom
TripleM. Sorry to say this, but as I've said before, these kinds of puzzles require very strict rules to work completely intentionally. I found yet another completely different solution for your puzzle. (#24)

I used 2 mimic potions, a few bombs and a few strategically placed red doors to complete the puzzle. It's pretty messy to explain what I did in detail, but I can attach a hold if you want a more detailed explanation.
12-24-2005 at 10:25 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Doom wrote:
TripleM. Sorry to say this, but as I've said before, these kinds of puzzles require very strict rules to work completely intentionally. I found yet another completely different solution for your puzzle. (#24)

I used 2 mimic potions, a few bombs and a few strategically placed red doors to complete the puzzle. It's pretty messy to explain what I did in detail, but I can attach a hold if you want a more detailed explanation.

Interesting, but bombs aren't in AE (if we allowed DROD 2.0, there would be scripting and probably other things - for example, spiders somehow, which are invisible in JtRH but not in AE). I'm pretty sure the solution is unique in AE, which the room is from.

[Last edited by TripleM at 12-25-2005 03:50 AM]
12-25-2005 at 03:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
icon Re: Hermetic Puzzles (+2)  
That's not specified in the rules. You can't use JtRH pics without permission in any case, so even if it was a JtRH room, you'd have to use AE graphics.

If you've not said it's an AE room, so I can't assume for sure that it is.

*Goes to try to solve it in AE unintentionally. I already have an idea that might work even without any JtRH tiles...*

edit: Yeah, it's still doable even in AE. My newest solution uses one serpent (head below the tar baby that's placed at the place where it would spawn, any length will do) and if you want a >4 move solution, a few red doors as well.

[Last edited by Doom at 12-25-2005 06:31 AM]
12-25-2005 at 06:17 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Doom wrote:
That's not specified in the rules. You can't use JtRH pics without permission in any case, so even if it was a JtRH room, you'd have to use AE graphics.

If you've not said it's an AE room, so I can't assume for sure that it is.

*Goes to try to solve it in AE unintentionally. I already have an idea that might work even without any JtRH tiles...*

edit: Yeah, it's still doable even in AE. My newest solution uses one serpent (head below the tar baby that's placed at the place where it would spawn, any length will do) and if you want a >4 move solution, a few red doors as well.

Heh, heh. Ok, I concede :). You're right, its very hard to make up a proper puzzle like this, but I liked my main idea of it anyway.
12-25-2005 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Claiming my "prize"

...I think

[Last edited by coppro at 01-11-2006 11:31 PM]
01-11-2006 at 11:30 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 4 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Hermetic Puzzles (Our contest for December.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com