Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Perfection (Fall 2005 Smitemasters Selection)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

9.2/10 (80 votes)
σ 1.37
Author Name:Larry Murk
Submitted By:larrymurk
Hold Name:Perfection
Theme:Fall 2005 Smitemasters Selection
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:11
Number of Rooms:77
Number of Monsters:854
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:27 (+27 / -0)
Poster Message
Alneyan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 622
IP: Logged
icon Re: Perfection (+2)  
Today is 'let's master two Larry holds at once' day, so I'm finally through Perfection. My vote is a 10 and 8 brains (many tricky rooms, mildly frustrating at times).

It's been one year and a half since I started out on this hold, so I will not give a very detailed comment on the early levels. I'll just point out the infamous room at Perfect 4, 1S 1E, which sent me off towards H&S and demo-mimicking. I don't think I've actually used H&S on any other room, but mud efficiency is not my forte.

I've found the rooms on the same level to be fairly uneven in difficulty, which seems to be a good thing actually. I know I've almost always conquered 1N (the easiest kind of room on the menu for me) to get on a good start, leaving the head-banging manipulation rooms last.

However, I've also felt that the difficulty curve was fairly odd. The first two levels were pretty straightforward, but Perfect 3 to 6 took me quite a while to get, and then it was smooth sailing all the way to the end. I guess it could mean I've been getting smarter on the way, but somehow I doubt that.

Observatory 1E sent me cursing (not *that* room again), though it actually was leagues easier than the original. 1W did make up for the lack of cursing, though.

So, that's a ten-hour trip that comes to an end, with a very peaceful outcome it seems: I'm credited with -12 kills at the end of the hold. That must be the key to even higher perfection.
05-09-2007 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Perfection (0)  
Alneyan wrote:
I've found the rooms on the same level to be fairly uneven in difficulty, which seems to be a good thing actually. I know I've almost always conquered 1N (the easiest kind of room on the menu for me) to get on a good start, leaving the head-banging manipulation rooms last.

This is interesting :) For me the exact oposite was true. I often started with the fairly easy manipulation rooms, and left the head-banging challange rooms for later.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 05-09-2007 09:31 PM]
05-09-2007 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
goldenferret
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
:huh
It looks like a great hold. Is it worth the money?

08-14-2007 at 05:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Perfection (+1)  
Yep! A lot more so than any other oficial hold, I would say.
08-14-2007 at 06:02 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
goldenferret wrote:
:huh
It looks like a great hold. Is it worth the money?

It depends on your skill level, I think.

I first tried this hold when I was fresh out of KDD 2.0, never having played any other form of DEOD before. This hold beat me like a Persian rug and sent me crying home to my Mom.

I have more experience now, and I've since managed to master it. So now, rather than considering it to be 'impossible' I just consider it 'really really difficult'.

But it's excellent. Larry is one of my favorite architects, and this is one of his best works.

So, is it worth the money? To me, it's worth twice the money. You'll have to judge for yourself, though.

Josh

08-14-2007 at 06:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
I was never the same after I experienced Perfection.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-14-2007 at 06:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
goldenferret
Sounds like a winner to me! :thumbsup

08-14-2007 at 07:01 PM
golfrman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
jbluestein wrote:
DEOD
Deviously
Evil and
Overly
Difficult?

08-14-2007 at 08:19 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
golfrman wrote:
jbluestein wrote:
DEOD
Deviously
Evil and
Overly
Difficult?

Might as well be...

Josh

08-14-2007 at 08:23 PM
roach strangler
I can get passed Jobus.
08-14-2007 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
roach strangler wrote:
I can get passed Jobus.

Surely you meant can't? Or do you mean precisely what you typed? Sorry if I'm questioning the obvious.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

08-15-2007 at 04:05 AM
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
Obviously, he means he can successfully acquire the version of Jobus who passed all his exams rather than the one who failed everything.

Er... isn't that obvious?

08-15-2007 at 05:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
mrimer wrote:
I was never the same after I experienced Perfection.
Yeah, well - there's not much left to do after that, innit? :D

("Stick a fork in me, I'm done...")

np: Yagya - Change (Will I Dream During The Process?)

08-15-2007 at 11:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
roach strangler
No well I got passed him. When I first met him in the secret room I got passed the door figuration thing. Too bad I couldn't go in the next room.

[Last edited by roach strangler at 08-15-2007 04:21 PM]
08-15-2007 at 04:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
Yeah, bit of a shame that.

08-15-2007 at 09:16 PM
bflatjeff
Rank Points: 93
Returning to this hold for the first time after TCB. For some reason, the Change Location menu says Perfection "is not published on CaravelNet", meaning for one thing that I can't see high scores or demos! I'm currently using 3.0.0, and this problem also affects "Halph has a Bad Day", "Beethro and the Secret Society" and "The Choice".

Any ideas?

BbJ

08-16-2007 at 05:35 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
bflatjeff wrote:
Any ideas?
Export your player, delete the hold, re-download and re-import it, import your player?

Sorry, can't offer anything other than this SOP...

np: Fennesz - Rivers Of Sand (Venice)

[Last edited by Briareos at 08-16-2007 05:48 PM]
08-16-2007 at 05:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Rank Points: 93
Briareos wrote:
Export your player, delete the hold, re-download and re-import it, import your player?
Thanks for the idea, but I'm wary to try it. I don't think I'm able to re-import the hold. My CaravelNet subscription lapsed for a while this spring, and now my profile says I haven't "purchased" the hold (along with the 3 others).
I've now posted about my problem in Bugs, after I realized it may be more proper to discuss it there.

BbJ

08-17-2007 at 03:42 AM
goldenferret
All right... Just wanted to say, finally bought this hold. Well worth the $9. :)

09-26-2007 at 11:04 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Ah... This is an extremely awesome and enjoyable and... difficult hold! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

I haven't conquered it, but I believe that my rating will be permanent even when I'll conquer it.

And my rating is...

10 for difficulty and 10 for fun! :thumbsup
It is an awesome hold! TRULY AWESOME!
10-26-2008 at 05:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Rank Points: 414
I've just recently finished this hold, and it's one of the many excellent Larry Murk holds. I had noticed a number of familiar rooms whilst playing this hold, and I can see you've credited those in your first post, but I'm also convinced that I've seen a version of Perfect 3: 1N before somewhere as well but I can't think where - can anyone confirm this so I can be certain I'm not going mad?

larrymurk wrote:
I love writing games (I've even sold a couple for not much)

Would you care to provide further information on this? I'm sure I'm not the only person here who would be interested in more information on this.

Progress - Gavin G

[Last edited by martz at 03-31-2009 03:56 PM]
03-31-2009 at 03:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
martz
Of course, and there's no need to credit a room from your own hold unless you are particularly narcissistic!

Progress - Gavin G
03-31-2009 at 04:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
martz wrote:
larrymurk wrote:
I love writing games (I've even sold a couple for not much)

Would you care to provide further information on this? I'm sure I'm not the only person here who would be interested in more information on this.

You can find Block-man, Block-man 2, and Taxi Run online at Soleau Software under DOS Games. Good luck getting them to run (might need dosbox). Block-man is a logic game while taxi-run is action.
03-31-2009 at 05:02 PM
martz
I understand this is slightly off topic, but I just wanted to share the fact that I got all three of these games to run in DOSBox (I have version 0.72) and I now know where Larry's avatar comes from :)

Progress - Gavin G
04-10-2009 at 10:16 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
This hold is hard, but not as hard as I thought it would be. I'm only on Perfect 1, but I like the puzzles so far. The "challenge" room to the north was surprisingly easy with a neat trick, and the tarstuff efficiency room had a wonderful trick! Definitely worth the money!

9 for brains and 10 for fun so far.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
06-27-2009 at 12:11 AM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Finally mastered.

I loved this hold. Especially those puzzles which are not very hard once you actually figure out what you're supposed to do. I liked efficiency puzzles, too.

However there were some rooms which I didn't particulary like. Rooms like Perfect 4: 2S, where you have to wait a couple of spawns until serpents are in specific position. I started liking such rooms more after conquering this hold, but still... not my favourite type of puzzle.

I also felt that difficult part of hold has ended at Perfect 7. Perfect 8 was slightly easier, though still fun enough, and Perfect 9... I didn't like 1S 1W in it at all. Other rooms were fine, but easy.

Perfect 7 was my favourite level. It contained some great rooms which had me stumped for a while. I particulary liked 1S 1E and 1S 1W on that level.

Observatory was fun, too.

Overall, great hold, but with some easy rooms near the end.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 07-14-2010 12:37 AM]
07-13-2010 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
vinheim
Rank Points: 300
Looks like 1 more person has mastered this hold. :D

Like people have already said, the difficulty of this hold gradually goes up til Level 7 and then gets easier on Levels 8 and 9 where I was able to get the rooms after a few tries. Perhaps it is because after playing 7 levels before, you kinda get accustomed with these rooms.

IMO, the set of rooms I liked most are the Roach Queen puzzles. Then comes the Challenge rooms and tar puzzles, and lastly the least I liked where the snake puzzles. I liked the roach queen puzzles most because there were so many techniques during the 9 levels that you learn through experimentation. The rooms were informative and challenging. There were some challenge and tar puzzles I did not like simply because some required luck or perfect efficiency. Lastly, those snake puzzles are mostly timing, they aren't really challenging and some were irritating as you would restart a lot to get down to the snakes at the right times. Despite this, my rating for this hold is 10 overall and 8.5 brains :D

Also, just like any other official holds, this hold has wonderful story and humour. That I Saw Isosceles song was hilarious.

If I was to choose a favourite room, it would either be Level 6, 7 or 8's 1S1E rooms or Level 8 or 9's 1N rooms or the Observatory's 1W room. So many awesome rooms to choose from.

Awesome hold.
12-17-2010 at 03:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Perfection (Fall 2005 Smitemasters Selection)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com